Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 13:48   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hi benny, i would advise you the manual. reasons:

1) as you said, the auto has not achieved great sales numbers, so i am unsure about its future.
2) maintainence costs would be higher.
3) driveability of the manual is good enough.
Hi Raj, (Not to offend you, just asking) not sure why its maintenance costs would be higher, as per M&M, they have integrated it such that automatic transmission oil (whatever they call it) never needs to be replaced.

While manual has its advantages, AT also has its own benefits. So far one of the owner Mohnish has bought the car and found the auto box to be quite good (he compared this to the boxes available from Mercedes)

So if one is thinking about AT Scorpio, ping Mohnish, and get the inputs from him, I guess it would be great to see more AT scorpio owners on team-bhp. Just because that vehicle isnt sold in huge numbers doesnt mean that vehicle is not good.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:11   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yes, I got the registration done. I would have to be printing money straight into the hands of the traffic wardens all along otherwise.
I see you just booked your 4x4 Safari. Lucky you. My registration story coming up and you must use that to register your car yourself.
RL,

Hope you get the registration-thriller-story out in the open soon.

So, I guess you saw from where the question came, isn't it!
Old 27th July 2009, 19:19   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
RL,

Hope you get the registration-thriller-story out in the open soon.

So, I guess you saw from where the question came, isn't it!
And the Thriller story is going to have heroes and villians for sure.Villians in uniform I am sure. So a confession Red Liner soon please for all of us very, very eager to read about it.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:29   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hi Raj, (Not to offend you, just asking) not sure why its maintenance costs would be higher, as per M&M, they have integrated it such that automatic transmission oil (whatever they call it) never needs to be replaced.

While manual has its advantages, AT also has its own benefits. So far one of the owner Mohnish has bought the car and found the auto box to be quite good (he compared this to the boxes available from Mercedes)

So if one is thinking about AT Scorpio, ping Mohnish, and get the inputs from him, I guess it would be great to see more AT scorpio owners on team-bhp. Just because that vehicle isnt sold in huge numbers doesnt mean that vehicle is not good.
first of all, why would you offend me buddy? you have every right to contradict my statements!!!

i have never felt that since the AT does not sell well, it is not good. infact i have driven it numerous times & found it to be pretty good. but somehow the manual thrills me more. the automatics to an extent dampens the fun of the mHawk motor.

regarding maintainence, the scorpio's auto tranny may be cheaper than the other automatics in the market. but compared to a manual, it still needs more attention & is therefore more costly to mention.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:02   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have never felt that since the AT does not sell well, it is not good. infact i have driven it numerous times & found it to be pretty good. but somehow the manual thrills me more. the automatics to an extent dampens the fun of the mHawk motor.

regarding maintainence, the scorpio's auto tranny may be cheaper than the other automatics in the market. but compared to a manual, it still needs more attention & is therefore more costly to mention.
agreed on all the points

Now back to the registration story of Redliner, eagerly awaiting.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:29   #231
BHPian

Yeah, I wonder how much cost savings he did manage and whether the experience is something that would encourage others to go about it this way. If the savings are enough to allow me to get, say a much better music system then the one I can currently afford ; I would definitely set a day or two aside for it.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:10   #232
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not to forget : Depending on the driver, a manual transmission may require a new clutch at 40,000 kms (versus 70,000 km average with a good driver). The auto tranny has no such maintenance requirements.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2009, 15:38   #233
BHPian

I think its ingrained in the Indian psyche - auto is more expensive because 'average nahi deta'. Havent used an auto on the Scorp , no idea if its any good , but I do think Raj is right about one thing - its more fun to drive a manual !
Old 28th July 2009, 16:35   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just to clear the waters a little, automatics are generally more durable than manual transmissions. They can generally handle higher torque levels than manuals. My ML320 had a transmission that was sealed and required no oil changes for 100K miles (i.e 160K kilometers). The problem though is that when they fail, they are more expensive to repair than manuals.
Old 30th July 2009, 22:19   #235
Senior - BHPian

Local showroom didn't give me much chance to worry about MT and AT, they said it has a waiting period of 30+ days. I just do not want to think about booking it without a test drive.

Finally, I booked the vlx MT variant yesterday. Local dealer (CAI) game me long drives, I am happy about the vehicle over all though there is few bits I didn't like. Is there anything 100% perfect?

My family liked Pink while I liked Java Brown - Decided to go with the Wife and kids's choice. I got a chance to compare them both by keeping them together.

Initially I was keen on Captain seats (7 seats), But later settled with middle bench seats. Reason is the luggage space. Captain seat variant has bench in the rear row, leaving the car unusable for luggages. This normal 7 seater has side facing seats, so better luggage space.

Thanks you all of you friends to help me to decide on AT/MT.

I will try to post my experiences on TD, Buying experience and ownership experiences etc.
Old 30th July 2009, 22:50   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Local showroom didn't give me much chance to worry about MT and AT, they said it has a waiting period of 30+ days. I just do not want to think about booking it without a test drive.

Finally, I booked the vlx MT variant yesterday. Local dealer (CAI) game me long drives, I am happy about the vehicle over all though there is few bits I didn't like. Is there anything 100% perfect?

My family liked Pink while I liked Java Brown - Decided to go with the Wife and kids's choice. I got a chance to compare them both by keeping them together.

Initially I was keen on Captain seats (7 seats), But later settled with middle bench seats. Reason is the luggage space. Captain seat variant has bench in the rear row, leaving the car unusable for luggages. This normal 7 seater has side facing seats, so better luggage space.

Thanks you all of you friends to help me to decide on AT/MT.

I will try to post my experiences on TD, Buying experience and ownership experiences etc.
post the facelift, its raining scorpios in T-BHP. with the launch of the xylo, i thought the scorpio will extinct, but i guess i am wrong.

good choice buddy. do post reviews & pics & please do open you own new thread.
Old 31st July 2009, 12:35   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Congratulations on buying the car. Well Pink color, havent seen many Scorpios with that color, Cannot wait to see yours.
Old 31st July 2009, 17:48   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Congratulations on buying the car. Well Pink color, havent seen many Scorpios with that color, Cannot wait to see yours.
its actually purple. its available post the facelift (scorpio refresh).

:: Welcome to Mahindra Scorpio Refresh ::
Old 31st July 2009, 19:56   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
its actually purple. its available post the facelift (scorpio refresh).

:: Welcome to Mahindra Scorpio Refresh ::
agbenny congratulations for being the proud owner of your new SUV.Would be a very apt moment to start a new thread with pictures.
Raj saw the colour which looks good but they say on their website that its only available for the LX variant. Also saw a white LX very recently.Was looking odd with black bumpers and the black grille.White was exclusively for the SLE and VLX /AT variants just a few months back.
Old 1st August 2009, 08:27   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Raj saw the colour which looks good but they say on their website that its only available for the LX variant. Also saw a white LX very recently.Was looking odd with black bumpers and the black grille.White was exclusively for the SLE and VLX /AT variants just a few months back.

i think you got confused somewhere. the purple colour is available in VLX variant only.

about the white in LX, i have seen that colour. its different from the white in VLX & SLE. VLX gets a diamond white which is more like off white whereas the LX gets the simple white which is seen in indicas and altos. also, note in the website- diamond white is available only in SLE & VLX.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks