Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 12:25   #1
BHPian

Silver 1.4 Linea Emotion

Hi Everyone,

After test driving the city, linea and the swift mjd I had narrowed my choice down to the city and fiat. I went for the Fiat for the look s and the sturdiness the vehicle provided. The built quality being excellent. The looks drop dead gorgeous.

Having invested more money in the sun film (1800)beige leather look seat covers (8000) the car looks very classy indeed.

I am starting this thread to share my ownership experience and hopefully to help all linea buyers making the right decisions. I will continue to update this thread time to time and share my ownership experience.

I booked the Linea aount the 20th of feb and got the delivery on the 2nd of march. Till date I have driven the car around 1800 km and have got an average in between 10.5 and 11, which I guess is decent for such a big car.

It s very smooth and takes to the turns and grinds extremely well. The braking feels very planted. The build quality and interiors are of good quality but with the seat recliner being the first suspected to get broken. Though it wont be as I am the only one to use the car and don’t have to adjust it on a daily basis. But for someone who has multiple drivers… (only time will tell).

The engine of the car is the one which has been most discussed apart from the looks. There has been speculation and opinions according to which many feel the engine is under powered. I have been previously driving a swift mjd and that s the car I am comparing it to.

You will feel no grunt in the Linea like one does in the swift but it accelerates very decently up till around a 100km/h. after which is gets a little sluggish uptill around 120. On the other hand the swift zooms throught from 80 to 140 in the 5 th gear. However on the Linea I have still not been able to cross the 130 mark even though I have been on empty roads on which I would have taken the swift to 140 to150.

And hence I am a little worried whether this car can actually do the 160 as the manual suggests or even 150 for that matter. Even around the 100km/h mark in the 5 th gear the engine feels like it s being pushed. This might be due to the fact that the car is yet to be serviced but again only time will tell… For all who might be interested the top speed achieved is just 130 on a very empty stretch. I have not yet pushed the car to the limits in each gear and have just taken it to 3000rpm on all gears uptill the 4th for the 5th gear I did not check the rpm.
Overall the car is very good value for money and if the pickup improves after the first service I will have no complaints with the car.

Pics coming soon….
Old 9th April 2009, 17:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

It's raining indeed!

Congrats on the Linea, machine freak!

Awaiting pics and IMO, don't push the car to its limits in the initial days!
Old 9th April 2009, 17:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Monsoon is here

Its Linea monsoon on team bhp
congrats for the car .
suggest you to not push the car too hard initially and run it in as per the manual.
Enjoy the ride.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow, another Linea! Congrats buddy!

Be sedate during the run-in period, once done you can push the car to its limits!
140 - 150 kph should be easily do-able on the Linea 1.4
Old 9th April 2009, 19:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
140 - 150 kph should be easily do-able on the Linea 1.4
Am not sure abt this.Although I agree you are in a better position to tell than me coz you own one.

I just TD-ed a Fiat Linea Petrol and it struggled to get to 120(Swift gets through 130 in that stretch).Here I feel the same as Machine Freak that the car looks like getting really worked up past 100.
Old 9th April 2009, 19:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Man, FIAT has listened to people mind

Seems its raining Linea. Congrats on the your new love!!!

Safe driving!
Old 9th April 2009, 20:20   #7
SSN
BHPian

Congrats on you car. Great to see so many Lineas on TeamBHP.

And coming to the top speed last week I did 160 kmph on the Mumbai-Nasik road. The engine really roars at that speed but this speed was around the 5200-5300 rpm mark. So i think 170 should be achievable. Will try doing that on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway . Anyways enjoy your beauty.
Old 9th April 2009, 20:40   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition ! Happy Miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Seems its raining Linea.
Wouldn't you like to say it is Pouring?
Old 9th April 2009, 20:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats MachineFreak. Linea is a great looking car and a sturdy one too. You will have good fun with it. I guess it should be possible to do a 150 if you get a good stretch.

Do not expect swift like performance. Swift has 85 bhp on a hatch, and here you have a pretty big sedan on 90 bhp. Hold on till first service to high rev your car. Check the run in thread.

Lost count of Linea owners in tbhp. The car is doing ~1500 on a monthly basis. Seems like FIAT is doing well this time around.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 9th April 2009 at 20:54.
Old 9th April 2009, 22:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Although I agree you are in a better position to tell than me coz you own one.
I don't own a Linea, but have a Palio 1.2 which reaches 120 kph without any fuss.
Hence, Linea 1.4 90 BHP should easily reach 140 - 150 kph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Swift has 85 bhp on a hatch
Nope, Swift D has 75 BHP.
Old 9th April 2009, 23:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate! A wonderful Linea rain

Some pictures please!
Old 9th April 2009, 23:21   #12
BHPian

congrats mate!!

delivery in 12 days!!. thats awsome!. oh god when will my linea come?. i have been waiting for my fire flamenco red emotion pack for past 3 weeks.

oh its just emotion and not emotion pack is it?.

anyways have a ball of time and post us some pics of the beauty.
Old 10th April 2009, 08:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I don't own a Linea, but have a Palio 1.2 which reaches 120 kph without any fuss.
Hence, Linea 1.4 90 BHP should easily reach 140 - 150 kph.
Not that simple I guess.

Because the Palio weighs 350 kgs less than the Linea

@freak do post some pics of your new beauty and enjoy the ride!!

Last edited by joy_swift : 10th April 2009 at 08:59.
Old 10th April 2009, 09:08   #14
BHPian

Congrats Machine freak. This is a car built to last, take good care of her and she will treat you well. Your FE is bound to increase after the initial services.
Old 10th April 2009, 09:44   #15
BHPian

@joy_swift,

Other Linea petrol owners have posted about 140+ speeds. And said the engine din't feel strained and had more juice.

Most Viewed