Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 15:33   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
...Meanwhile do let us know, do you have alloys and tubeless which is in the newer version?
Yes they are alloys and tubeless B'Stones. I would have liked to upgrade to after market alloys, but that means fiddling with the TPMS, so will leave it for now.

Quote:
...ICE upgrade ? The newer version has 2 din player with USB, do you have that too?
Nope, this is the single DIN, but you do get a storage space in the slot below...which is more useful, so will leave it for now.

Quote:
Is there a dead clutch pedal in this ?
No, thankfully, infact there is a nice foot rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I am planning to buy a Balck or WHite colour M Hawk AT Scorpio myself. My previous car was a 5 Speed Toyota Landcruiser V8 4700 VXR.

In this Scorpio, do you feel a little thud or vibration when the gears actually shift up or down ?
Not at all. Infact I was really suprised at the shifts. However, if you compare a +40L Speed Toyota Landcruiser V8 4700 VXR to a sub 12L 2.2 4cyl...you will be left wanting....So, buy it for what it is and not to replace the V8. I am retaining my E220CDI so the comparison doesn't arise. What I am comparing the VLX AT is to my previous non CRDe 2005 scorp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
congrats mohnish! i am happy that finally your dream has come true.
Thanks Raj...and I will be looking to you for advice with regards the VLX since you are an old hand at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
...I only wish th ey made that gear lever a bit more appealing and attractive...
Thanks Dippy. About "made that gear lever a bit more appealing and attractive", they could and should have done a much better job with the interiors in terms of quality and finish....But again, overall this is the perfect vehicle for Mumbai traffic....atleast for me!

@all: about pictures, as posted earlier, it looks like any other VLX, so thought there was no point in uploading. However, will do so shortly...atleast one of the gear shift!!!

Last edited by Mohnish : 12th April 2009 at 15:40.
Old 12th April 2009, 17:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Yes they are alloys and tubeless B'Stones. I would have liked to upgrade to after market alloys, but that means fiddling with the TPMS, so will leave it for now.

Nope, this is the single DIN, but you do get a storage space in the slot below...which is more useful, so will leave it for now.
the same problem i have been facing in my scorpio.
you change the alloys- risk tampering with the TPMS sensors.
you change the single DIN head unit- you lose the volume controls on the steering!

however, on my car's first B'DAY, i'll gifting it a new head unit. chuck the steering volume controls. i will recommend the same to you if you are a music freak. but do this only after 6-7 months as the 'new car' novelty would be out by then.

again on its second b'day, i will be gifting him (or is it her?) a new set of alloys. i will have to find a way out without tampering the TPMS sensors.

Quote:
Thanks Raj...and I will be looking to you for advice with regards the VLX since you are an old hand at it.
some suggestions:
1) read the TPMS instruction manual carefully, carry it in the car always. you may get confused about the procedure in case of a tyre puncture.
2) you may have got a DVD along with your car, go through it carefully.
3) change the code (password) of the immobilizer since the default code is the same for all scorpios. take your car to the mahindra A.S.S., they will do it in 2 mins for you.
4) your car security system is programmable. it has also got a shock sensor and you can even adjust the value of the shock at which the alarm should get activated. it even has auto lock & auto open features. however, all these features have to be activated. mumbai dealer 'GLOBAL GALLARIE' has no idea about this.

Quote:
@all: about pictures, as posted earlier, it looks like any other VLX, so thought there was no point in uploading. However, will do so shortly...atleast one of the gear shift!!!
not fair mohnish, we enjoy the pics of all cars here, even if its the same model/same variant/same colour. so i would request you to upload the pics ASAP.

happy motoring.
Old 12th April 2009, 19:39   #18
BHPian

Thanks Raj for your response:

Quote:
...you change the alloys- risk tampering with the TPMS sensors...
...again on its second b'day, i will be gifting him (or is it her?) a new set of alloys. i will have to find a way out without tampering the TPMS sensors.
The TPMS is really not that complicated, but if you were to change the alloys, better to go to an A.S.S. and ask them to do the swap...Wonder if that jacks the warranty?

Quote:
you change the single DIN head unit- you lose the volume controls on the steering!...
Or you could try and source the original HU thats issued with the new mighty muscular (!!!) shape. Its 2 DIN and should integrate with the steering controls. I personally like the steering controls and woud rather stay with them.

Quote:
some suggestions:
1) read the TPMS instruction manual carefully...
2) you may have got a DVD along with your car...
3) change the code (password) of the immobilizer...mahindra A.S.S., they will do it in 2 mins for you.
4) your car security system is programmable....
1) Have done that already, kinda confusing but will get through I'm sure!!!
2) Yeah, I keep forgetting that in the car!!!
3) This cannot be done by our selves?
4) Yes I know, have partially done it, but am going easy cause I don't want to lock myself out!!!

Quote:
not fair mohnish, we enjoy the pics of all cars ...
Point taken, will do asap....But isn't the Scorpio owners picture thread more appropriate?

Last edited by Mohnish : 12th April 2009 at 19:41.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The TPMS is really not that complicated, but if you were to change the alloys, better to go to an A.S.S. and ask them to do the swap...Wonder if that jacks the warranty?
i asked the A.S.S, they said they can change the alloys to the ones they provide as accessories (no aftermarket units!) and also, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR TPMS!!! I found it suprising as in the scorpio's manual, it is clearly illustrated how to swap your sensors if you want to change the alloys.

Quote:
Or you could try and source the original HU thats issued with the new mighty muscular (!!!) shape. Its 2 DIN and should integrate with the steering controls. I personally like the steering controls and woud rather stay with them.
the 2 DIN head unit in the new scorpio/xylo is again a kenwood unit. not the best one around. i am planning to go for either pioneer or JVC or alpine.

Quote:
3) This cannot be done by our selves?
the code can be changed by you only if you have got the security manual. i did not get any manual, so i changed it at the A.S.S. moreover, since many scorpios are getting stolen these days, i got a call from the dealer itself, they requested me to come & change the password.

Quote:
Point taken, will do asap....But isn't the Scorpio owners picture thread more appropriate?
yes, as you wish.
Old 12th April 2009, 21:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
i...YOU WILL LOSE YOUR TPMS!!!...
...the 2 DIN head unit in the new scorpio/xylo is again a kenwood unit....
...the code can be changed by you only if you have got the security manual...
Raj, this is becoming more of an Scorpio issues discussion, so before the mods admonish me for it...have taken it to that thread. Link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1257058
Old 12th April 2009, 21:52   #21
BHPian

congrats on your new purchase. great to have AT in crowded cities.
Old 13th April 2009, 08:44   #22
BHPian

Congrats for ur AT purchase.

Does it have hill holding facility? did you tried driving any inclines?

-MUKE
Old 13th April 2009, 17:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ muke31:

have a look at this:

Quote:
Another really nice feature, is that when stopped on an incline you don't need to keep the foot on the brake to keep it from rolling back. The AT, when in D holds you from rolling back. Cool.
Old 13th April 2009, 18:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj,

Quote:
@ muke31:

have a look at this:
What Mohnish refers to may not be what muke31 is referring to. All automatics prevent going backwards in a slope when the gear is in D, but that depends upon the angle of incline.

Hill holding function if present automatically puts on the brake until the accelerator is pressed. This would work on any incline, I assume! Have never experienced it except once in a Forester (a manual trnasmission one).
Old 13th April 2009, 19:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Raj,

What Mohnish refers to may not be what muke31 is referring to. All automatics prevent going backwards in a slope when the gear is in D, but that depends upon the angle of incline.

Hill holding function if present automatically puts on the brake until the accelerator is pressed. This would work on any incline, I assume! Have never experienced it except once in a Forester (a manual trnasmission one).
hi trrk, i understood what muke meant was the hill-holding function.

i think the scorpio does have this feature, i remember reading this in the website. mohnish, can you confirm this?
Old 13th April 2009, 21:05   #26
BHPian

Yes Raj, you are right.

IF the drive is in D then by default the vehicle tends to move forward but when you are driving up-hill or say you are coming out from your basement car parking and if we get struck in middle of the steep incline the vehicle tends to move backwards, through manual gear mode we can control this using clutch for very short period(without burning the clutch) wheras in AT it takes little time to build the RPM to move the vehicle forward so this hill holding facility stops the car moving backwards thus not affecting the vehicle standing behind you on steep incline.

I had bad experience in my Esteem while coming out from basement parking having wet surface, the tyre grip was so bad that i almost maxed my RPM to avoid hitting the vehicles rearing behind the incline

-MUKE
Old 13th April 2009, 21:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
...hill-holding function...

i think the scorpio does have this feature, i remember reading this in the website. mohnish, can you confirm this?
I too read this on a web site somewhere...Haven't tried it on steep inclines, so will get back to you'll on this as soon as I get to an incline thats inclined enough!!!

Last edited by Mohnish : 13th April 2009 at 21:08.
Old 14th April 2009, 11:14   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From an '05 Scorpio to an '09....few things speak of satisfaction as much as a return customer. Congratulations!

Quote:
but still its an Indian company that took the plunge to introduce an AT in this segment. Quite heroic.
Sure is. They actually took the AT plunge in preparation for their USA market entry (99% automatic biased market). Let's see how that pans out.

Quote:
The 2.2 Hawk is a modern, highly refined engine which is effortless in delivering torque throughout the rpm range without any fuss whatsoever and without screaming. You can barely hear it.
I agree. The MHawk is really a heck of an engine. Superb driveability, pretty refined for a Mahindra...actually, the Scorpio has had a nice powertrain lineup since the time of launch (save for the terrible Renault petrol).

Quote:
But honestly, on the road, I never felt lacking in acceleration or top speed. As far as top speed goes,
Are you happy with the Automatic's response time, and ability to choose the right gear (depending on driving condition)?

Quote:
Then there is this M (manual) mode switch, which when engaged holds the gear till just short of redline, which is really nice for downhill descents where you don't have to keep touching the brakes (and then overheating them).
Quote:
Another really nice feature, is that when stopped on an incline you don't need to keep the foot on the brake to keep it from rolling back. The AT, when in D holds you from rolling back. Cool.
Really neat.

Quote:
Apologies to those who were looking for a technical review (for that read the auto mags).
I'd trust an actual owners review - such as yours - over an auto mag anyday.

Thanks for sharing the first Scorpio A/T owners review on TBHP!
Old 14th April 2009, 11:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohnish, you havent mentioned anywhere your on-road price and the discounts you got (if any?)
Old 15th April 2009, 09:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sure is. They actually took the AT plunge in preparation for their USA market entry (99% automatic biased market). Let's see how that pans out....
True, but honestly, considering the congestion in Indian cities and those are certainly the ones that have a population that can afford the drop in FE and the extra costs of an AT, they should really hard sell the AT box. I personally think the Indian market has been ripe for ATs, its just that the end consumer has not been educated enough by the marketing strategy.

Quote:
Are you happy with the Automatic's response time, and ability to choose the right gear (depending on driving condition)?
Yes absolutely, I have never so far felt lacking and personally would not mind a slight lag in the initial acceleration for the immense driving comfort. Also, as you well know GTO, there is a learning process with every vehicle and specifically with an AT box where the driver starts to understand the shifting characteristics. Once done its much more controllable.

Quote:
I'd trust an actual owners review - such as yours - over an auto mag anyday.
So would I, and more so coming from T-BHP. Somehow T-BHP instills confidence.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the first Scorpio A/T owners review on TBHP!
Pleasure!

@all: Hill holding : NO, not present. I was wrong the first time around. Tried it on a steep incline and it does roll back.

Last edited by Mohnish : 15th April 2009 at 09:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks