Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2009, 22:10   #1
BHPian

Got my Scorpio VLX Automatic !!!! Yea...!

Hello,

Its finally happened, I managed to get my Scorpio which I have been actually wanting since 2005...Yeah can you believe that, even before they thought of introducing the automatic. I had read on the Mahindra web site at that time that there was an AT variant and searching for that landed me at the dealership only to be told there was no such thing....!!! Probably a typo in the web site design? Any how whatever...Now 4 years later its here...I got it!!!!

I opted not for the new one with the wierd rabbit / walrus / xylo grille teeth...I personally don't like the looks and was fortunate that I could get my hands on the original Scorpio (the dealership had one), the way we all know it.

In my opionion, its the best APV AT ( I don't think of the scorp as an SUV ) at that price. Added to that its Indian, though partly outsourced, but still its an Indian company that took the plunge to introduce an AT in this segment. Quite heroic.

My driving experience: This is not a technical review...I am simply a person who likes cars and knows a little bit about them, but not enough that I don't need a mechanic!

I traded my 2005 non Crde Scorpio SLX and believe me there is no comparison between the two. So lets forget that.

The 2.2 Hawk is a modern, highly refined engine which is effortless in delivering torque throughout the rpm range without any fuss whatsoever and without screaming. You can barely hear it.

I figure the VLX MT has been discussed and reviewed and the only difference is the AT. So for now, I'll stay with my experience as far as the AT part of the vehicle goes.

Its fantastic. You shift into D or R from P or N and honestly, you can hardly feel the gear engage. Its gentle...easy. Then when you let the power out, its linear and extremely drivable. The gear shifts are really not noticeable, unless you are looking for them. Almost like a Continuous Variable Belt Tranmission ( I personally do not like the CVT...It somehow doesn't feel engaged). But this one...sure is engaged.

As far as the fact that ATs do not give the same performance as the MT counterpart. I guess thats true on the dyno. But honestly, on the road, I never felt lacking in acceleration or top speed. As far as top speed goes, I certainly wish the rear end could have been less sensitive to the road undualations. But thats not an AT issue, its a rear suspension design factor. Maybe a heavier load would help in being more settled.

Then there is this M (manual) mode switch, which when engaged holds the gear till just short of redline, which is really nice for downhill descents where you don't have to keep touching the brakes (and then overheating them).

Another really nice feature, is that when stopped on an incline you don't need to keep the foot on the brake to keep it from rolling back. The AT, when in D holds you from rolling back. Cool.

There's more, but I mananged to cover only 150kms in the first day!!!!

Oh yeah, one more thing. I am habituated to and have been driving ATs for a really long time. The last two being W124 E220 (AT) Benz and then the W210 E250D (AT) Benz. Currently, I drive an E220 CDI (AT) & the Honda City CVT. The Benz cars are luxury personified and with that an extreme sense of safety and power (barring the W210 E250D, which lacks power). So I guess, appreciation for the Scorp VLX AT coming from an end user like me must Amount to something.

The coolest thing about this is that I drive around in heavy traffic which keeps out of my way, which doesn't happen with the Benz ( you keep having to drive defensively to protect your car form rickshaws buses...cyclists ...you name it!!!) and I drive in complete comfort!!! Nice.

Apologies to those who were looking for a technical review (for that read the auto mags). I'm just a regular driver/car buyer who is really thrilled with his AT Scorp! Cheers!!!

Is mine the 1st Scorpio AT on T-BHP? I think so ....WOW!

Last edited by Mohnish : 11th April 2009 at 22:22.
Old 11th April 2009, 22:23   #2
BHPian

Congrants buddy, I always like that SUV, but somehow never ever able to buy it..
Old 11th April 2009, 22:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome dude. After watching my gear stock rattle, me want auto box too. But no fair that you are more money bags than me.

Not fair at all, uhuh!
Old 11th April 2009, 23:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Awesome dude....more money bags than me.
Thanks Red...Believe me there aint any bags!!!! A lot of scrimping saving scratching.......and intense intense desire!!! Eventually, just lucky I guess.
Old 11th April 2009, 23:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Awesome. But the regular refrain - this thread is nothing without pics

But yeah, if a Merc/NHC user is happy - then it is something damn good.

On that note - mileage kitna hai?
Old 11th April 2009, 23:25   #6
BHPian

@sam : thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
...On that note - mileage kitna hai?
Havent gone through a full tank yet....will post when done.
Old 11th April 2009, 23:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mohnish! Apart from the engine itself, what other improvements strike you vis-a-vis your old non-CRDE Scorp?
And how about some pics?
Old 12th April 2009, 07:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Awesome. But the regular refrain - this thread is nothing without pics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
...And how about some pics?
Seriously guys, the only difference in this and any otehr VLX is the gear lever, so I thought it redundant to post pics in this thread. But, will post pics in the Scorpio http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...their-suv.html thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Congrats Mohnish! Apart from the engine itself, what other improvements strike you vis-a-vis your old non-CRDE Scorp?...
There are huge differences in the non CRDe and the VLX. The engine itself being an extremely major difference, but will leave that out as per your request. Do keep in mind however that the entire experience changes on account of that engine and ofcourse you add the absolute convenience / luxury of the AT, which I honestly believe is an essential in Mumbai, but these are not options that were a part of the non CRDe's. So that actually leaves me with not much to compare, but here goes:

The most obvious is the change in the rear suspension setup from a leaf to a 5 multi link coil which makes the ride much smoother and more planted. Though, I do wish it was an independent rear suspension, but then the cost factors would be prohibitive...

Then, coupled with the rear being more planted, the ABS really really makes a difference on hard braking and even when it is not activated you don't experience that familiar nose dive when braking, again going back to the rear being more settled and again the engine being lighter.

Besides the cruise is a wonderfull addition. People say it cannot be used in Mumbai, but I use it regularly in the WEH & EEH by simply keeping out of other's way in the left, slower lane and driving a bit slower than the regular traffic flow.

The TPMS (Tyre Pressure monitor) is nice, but I really don't like it cause I like to go a bit underinflated (for a smoother ride) and the thing gets activated, forcing me to keep the pressures back up again.

The interiors could have done with a revamp and please, why can't the finish just 'feel' a bit more refined, in keeping with the ride?

More later, when I have somehting to add.
Old 12th April 2009, 08:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Once again, congrats on the new ride, Mohnish!

And yes, this positive feedback of the AT from a seasoned AT person is worth a lot!

Happy motoring, Mohnish!
Old 12th April 2009, 09:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi mohnish, heartiest congratulations on this buy.
I too have decided on this . Some undue expenses this month caused delay, else would have my hands on it.
Will be booking one in next two weeks. Can you PM me your cell number, would like to speak with you.

Meanwhile do let us know, do you have alloys and tubeless which is in the newer version?

ICE upgrade ? The newer version has 2 din player with USB, do you have that too?

And what's the price you paid for this? Any freebies?

Is there a dead clutch pedal in this ?

Have lots more questions.

Once again, congrats for your buy.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy a Balck or WHite colour M Hawk AT Scorpio myself. My previous car was a 5 Speed Toyota Landcruiser V8 4700 VXR.

In this Scorpio, do you feel a little thud or vibration when the gears actually shift up or down ?
Old 12th April 2009, 12:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

congrats mohnish! i am happy that finally your dream has come true.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
In this Scorpio, do you feel a little thud or vibration when the gears actually shift up or down ?
Thats present in the manual. Its a small jerk, almost like an announcement that the thing is going to go faster. Though this happens only if you shift below 2.5k rpm.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohnish congratulations and nice to read your impressions about the Scorpio AT. You seem to be largely satisfied with the SUV overall.How much was the gestation period for the Scorpio? Did the dealer offer any discounts? You have bought the previous model I believe, that preceded the refreshed version which landed during March end at the showrooms. Do post pictures and continue the review.
Old 12th April 2009, 15:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mohnish. Thats the only AT SUV in that price bracket. I had a brief test drive few months ago. Though at that time I felt they could better the AT box, I was quite impressed. The engine is wonderful and the gearshifts are pretty refined for a Mahindra. I only wish th ey made that gear lever a bit more appealing and attractive. Overall a great buy.

Nothing like the combination of an SUV and an auto box. Enjoy your Scorpio and where are the pictures?

Most Viewed