Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 11:21   #1
BHPian

Post MGM drama, the White Lady is home (Scorpio)

Hello All,

Needless to state this is my first new thread (which means my first new car after I got hooked up to TBHP). Thanks to all who has helped me in the process of deciding for the vehicle and staying along with me through the climax (multiple if I start counting) and finally ended up taking the delivery on last Friday afternoon, 17th April 2009.

For all new readers, the movie in fast forward mode:-

AML Motors provided proforma invoice (after couple of days without any response) and the deal was that no discount on prices but added the equipments that I choose from the dealership.

PARTICULARS NEW Scorpio VLX 8 seater (BS3) Diamond WhiteEx-Showroom917820Insurance38270Life Tax @ 12%110138Incedental charges5000Permanent. Reg.2500Net on Road1073728
Dealer will provide External Paint Protection, Carpet Floor Mat, Scuff Plates and Full front Bull Bar as complimentary with the vehicle.

I needed the delivery by 15th April and my finance team worked overtime to get me the DD by 15th evening and had to get hold of M&M GM South to ensure I have the specified vehicle delivered to the dealer on time.

On 15th morning, called up the dealer and wanted to visit their workshop where the PDI was taking place. I was so happy to see my ride and took quite a few pictures. Odo reading 5.9 km. There was no visible problem with the car and the company driver started infront of me for the showroom while I came back to office.

It was late when I finally arrived at the showroom to pickup the car. While going thru the TBHP checklist I found the left sky rack cap in the front side was loose. Actually so loose that it can come out while driving. It was so loose that I couldn't make out how it was still there with 16 km travel from service center to showroom. I checked the Odo and it was only showing 21.9 km. I also recorded the engine and chasis number.

Then came the worst part. The person who was giving the demo tried starting the car and it was not firing. Then they opened the bonnet and started pumping the manual diesel pump. The car finally started after lot of cranking but after 10 mins of shut down it again refused to start. Again the manual pumping started and we identified that diesel was leaking from one of the joints of the fuel pump. I refused to take delivery of the vehicle and didn't sign any document (though they have the full payment in DD and created all the relevant papers on their front). This is kind of surprising as this was not there while I checked in the workshop. I went to the extent in checking the engine and chassis number to ensure that it is the same car and so it was.

At the end, returned dejected and opened TBHP to seek any guidance on my situation.

All was of the opinion that I should not take delivery of this vehicle. I communicated the same to the sales person on 16th (Election Day at Hyderabad, and the showroom and workshop was closed). I also put in an email to make it official. One of my very close friend told me to ensure that I don't leave the next vehicle alone for a minute during my next delivery and I completely followed the suggestion.

On Friday, I went up to the showroom at 9:30 am and parked myself there. The folks took me to the workshop along with the problematic vehicle and then came to know that they have another vehicle (same spec with 7 seat) that they can deliver to me after changing the seat configuration.

The change took around 2 hours. The changed the last 2 rows of seats, the lock and padding of the rear door, the carpets and seat belts. I was there all the time and the PDI chief engineer was very accommodating.

(They also showed me that the earlier vehicle was exposed to a tampering of the fuel line at the fuel pump junction and in the process the brass washer was cut because of wrong tightening process. This made it to take in air and leak fuel while manual pumping. The driver seemed very annoyed as all the signs point out to him for fuel theft.)

The PDI folks took me for a ride to test the car and checked all the features in the highway. I was thoroughly satisfied with this vehicle and gave my nod to bring this vehicle to the showroom for completion of the paperwork. The driver (different from the first one) was very careful this time with the vehicle and explained all the features while we came back to Showroom.

By 3:00 pm the car was ready for delivery (another round of cleaning and polishing at the showroom) and they also provided 10 liters Diesel (apart from the 8 liters at the workshop and whatever M&M provides for a new car). I drove it very carefully to my office (I must say even after 15 years of driving and taking numerous deliveries, I still fill butterflies in my stomach every time I drive a new vehicle out of the showroom).

The white lady was a piece of elegance in the well lit parking and my friends complimented on the car over a lot of sweets. (This will be driven by my wife and she kind of started jumping as if she had scored a goal in a football match by the first look at the car.)

Saturday morning went for the Puja and my wife started driving the car within the colony. She is more comfortable with the Scorpio than the IKON.

Sunday we went out and she drove a few kms in the highway.

Today started early to give her enough time to reach office and she did a decent job. This is my new task to make her a competent driver

I must say the sales team and the service persons were very nice in all the process and would highly recommend them to any prospective buyers. I am actually very pleased with the service center and the facilities they have there. (AML is dealer for AUDI & VW currently and in a few months will have Porsche too, all are serviced at the same centre)

Once again, thanks to TBHP for standing by my side in the tough times and helping me to take the right decision. I am really grateful to all. I am attaching a few pics of the White Lady. Hope you like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Post MGM drama, the White Lady is home (Scorpio)-scorpio-pdi.jpg  

Post MGM drama, the White Lady is home (Scorpio)-scorpio-engine.jpg  

Post MGM drama, the White Lady is home (Scorpio)-scorpio-delivery-2.jpg  

Post MGM drama, the White Lady is home (Scorpio)-scorpio-delivery-1.jpg  

Post MGM drama, the White Lady is home (Scorpio)-scorpio-puja.jpg  

Post MGM drama, the White Lady is home (Scorpio)-scorpio-1.jpg  

Old 20th April 2009, 12:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

sudipta, congrats on your white beast. scorpio looks awesome in white. Ride safe and keep updating.CHEERS!!
Old 20th April 2009, 12:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

wow, that beast looks stunning in white. I really love the frontal changes done on Scorp.

But on the fog lights, why there is so much gap/space/non glass area on the lower and outer end. It gives a feel of smaller fogs fitted on the large allocated space. Just my view

Enjoy the ride
Old 20th April 2009, 13:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

White was my original choice. But the politicians and realtors have screwed this color choice for the aam janta. Congratulations, your wife must be loving you extra
Old 20th April 2009, 13:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the white lady!

Good to see that the sales people were accommodating and you had a pleasant experience.

Enjoy the respect on road and wish you many miles of happy motoring!
Old 20th April 2009, 13:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on acquiring the new muscled beast.The choice of the colour is ubiquitous.
Old 20th April 2009, 13:55   #7
BHPian

Congratulation Sudipta on your new ride.

Have a good time driving the beast or should I say paint the town red with your White Lady
Old 20th April 2009, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
The choice of the colour is ubiquitous.
Ram, you think so? in fact, I thought a black scrpio was all pervasive!
Old 20th April 2009, 14:27   #9
BHPian

imo scorpio looks best in white. congratulations for the beauty. its raining scorpios these days on tbhp
Old 20th April 2009, 14:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sudipta congrats on the new buy. You are the first one to call the SUV a lady & I appreciate you for that. Have been tired of people referring even the Palio to 'My beast'. This is a nice & pleasant change. Have fun with your lady.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:24   #11
BHPian

Vijaythacker, Rkbharat, Red Liner, HappyWheels, Hillram, Ardy, Nawabnabeel, Esteem Lover: Thanks a lot for your kind words and generous appreciation.
The credit for choice of colour goes to my wife. But needless to state that we all seconded that decission.

@rkbharat: I would agree with your comment. Th fog light is not fully covering the space. I am not sure if there is a size limit to that (from the RTAs).

@Red Liner: you are right with the white colour. (Some of my friends suggested jokingly, that I put a tricolour brush stand once I get the bull bar.) Now with the elections at AP, that is even more evident. I am also told the MLA/MP has a budget of 10 lakh for their car and I am sure a lot of them will go for a new Scorpio.

@HappyWheels: The Scorpio surely has a presence on the road (much better that my IKON) and does enjoy respect. My wife with the "L" board also had a much easier time than what she had with my IKON.

@ Nawabnabeel: The Hyderabad dealer is selling on an average 30 to 40 Scorpios per week. No doubt it is raining.

@esteem lover: Somehow the lady thing stuck to me when I saw the car for the first time. My IKON (black with chrome grill) always came across to me as a male personality.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats sudipta. Please post bigger pics of your white lady.
Old 20th April 2009, 19:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

hearty congratulations sudipta. great colour choice. i really like the facelift.
as nawabnabeel said, its raining scorpios on this forum.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations sudipta on the new buy.Great to see pictures of the white VLX ! Its soothing that your original choice that turned out defective was changed for this VLX. Hoping to hear more and more and more and more------------ of course with more pictures.
HAPPY DRIVING!!
Old 20th April 2009, 21:42   #15
BHPian

Thanks a lot Anjan, Raj and badboyscad. I am facing a challenge to upload the pictures as the limit is 1 mb and my pictures are all more than 2.5 mb. I will need to lower my camera resolution to be within the limit and upload fresh photos for all of you. If any one knows of a way to reduce the size, please let me know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks