Team-BHP - Linea MJD - 1450 kms in 4 days. Report on its drinking habits
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Linea MJD - 1450 kms in 4 days. Report on its drinking habits (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/57120-linea-mjd-1450-kms-4-days-report-its-drinking-habits.html)

Linea MJD Emotion - Flamingo Red
Fours days - 1450 kms
Average speed - 48 km/h
Travel time 33 hrs
Average Fuel Consumption - 16 km/l
Top Speed - 150 km/h
Air Pressure Front - 32PSI & Rear - 29PSI (Nitrogen)

First day - Started on 15/04/09(wednesday) at 7am from ramanathapuram and reached trichy at 10:30am. Total 180 kms in 3&1/2 hrs which includes 30 min break in karaikudi. Maintained speeds of 90-110 and consumption was 18 km/l. Again Started at around 11am from trichy and reached thirukkadaiyur at 3:30pm. Total 160 kms in 4&1/2hrs with 45min in thanjavur. Roads were just oh k and very curvy and so couldn't maintain good speeds. Handling was good but nothing exceptional. Fuel consumption was 17km/l as i had to change the gears often. Returned back to trichy the same night.

Second day - Started at 9am from trichy and reached chennai kathipara at 3pm with two breaks in ulundurpettai and in chengalpattu. Its a two way highway and for the first 20 kms i was driving at speeds between 120 - 130 km/h. Average fuel consumption according to the display was 15km/l. Then my brother was driving for next 90 kms and he maintained speed steadily at 100-105km/h and fuel consumption was then 19km/l. When again i started to drive as usual at 120+ km/h consumption dropped to 15km/l. Total distance covered that day was 330 kms and average fuel consumption was 15.6km/l.

Third Day - Started from chennai at 5pm and reached jeyankondam at 11:35pm with two breaks in pondicherry for coffee and fueling and 1&1/2 hr break in virudhachalam. Total distance is around 250 kms and average fuel consumption was 16 km/l. Drive through ECR was fun and handling was better as the roads were good. I think Linea is a good car for good roads and behaves very bad in bad roads.

Fourth day - Started from jeyankondam at 9:30am and reached trichy at 11am. Total 90kms and fuel consumption 17km/l. Again started from at 3pm and reached ramanathapuram at 6:30pm with 30 min break in karaikudi.

My impression about Linea after this drive is its a good car to drive at speeds between 90 and 110km/h. Very fuel efficient at this speeds and engine behaves cool and very comfortable too. Once exceeding 120+ the engine moans very hard and drinks fuel like this speeds are too much for its capacity. I remember my old ford ikon diesel 1.8 behaved very cool and responsive at 140 and 150 km/h. I feel if you do very high speeds, the engine capacity (cc) matters more than its actual horsepowers. Correct me if im wrong.

Its very comfortable in good roads and worst when on bad roads. Rear seats are very bumpy. So not an ideal chauffeur driven car.

The fuel efficiency is really good, I doubt if speeds above 120+ are optimum for fuel efficieny. I think thats the case with any car of similar capacities. You get max fuel efficiency between 1.8-2.5Krpm which would roughly translate to 90-100 in speedo. The handling and ride quality that you experienced is quite disappointing. I thought linea should have done well in this department.

Good fuel efficiency and very rightly said by kvish about the rpm band. However, even I ma quite disappointed to hear that the rear seat is not comfortable. It is indeed a drawback. With such good handling reviews, one would also expect rear seat comfort. Mostly Linea has been lambasted for not being a very driver oriented car, then, at least one should expect better rear seat comfort.
However, this is the 1st I am hearing about it.

Good report Harsh. Your drives were a fair representative of what most of us encounter on regular basis. And for such drives, 16 kmpl is good FE. I am surprised though on your discomfort on the rear seat comfort. I haven't sat in a Linea but always wanted to believe that it is will have a very comfy rear seat.

I own a Dzire and the rear seat is a dream.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dushmish (Post 1269545)
Good report Harsh. Your drives were a fair representative of what most of us encounter on regular basis. And for such drives, 16 kmpl is good FE. I am surprised though on your discomfort on the rear seat comfort. I haven't sat in a Linea but always wanted to believe that it is will have a very comfy rear seat.

I own a Dzire and the rear seat is a dream.

My comparison of rear seats is with ford Ikon. We have had a 1.8 diesel before and now Ikon Flair. Ikon is supposed to have very good rear seats. So when you compare it with dezire or any other car in mid size segment, you may find Linea more comfortable than them. And another thing i still love about Ikon is its driving position. Very sporty.

Well thats the beauty of so called underpowered 1.3 MJD.