Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2005, 14:33   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If thats the case then wont people go for the Palio.
true..!!! except for the company's uncertainty and the quality of service offered by some dealers, the palio is one helluva car. i seriously doubt 8-9 kmpl. 11-13 kmpl in city, with a/c sounds realistic, and is what 99% users are going to get- forget the figures said by the mags, (15 kmpl overall) 11-12 kmpl will be the minimum given by the car.....as for the max, a person can squeeze out as much as he wants... i've seen petrol octavias giving 17(!!!!), mondeo 2.0's (duratec, not duratorq) giving 16 (!!) and petras giving 16.... so, squeezing out 18-19 kmpl, given the driver, from the swift should be easy.... but 11-16 kmpl is what an average user is going to get from his swift, under city and highway driving....

er... montoya, the ABS/ EBD in the zxi is pretty effective- the non-abs versions display slightly lesser braking effect, and the wheels tend to lock-up under (extremely) hard braking, but the zxi is calm and poised throughout... and as for the stability, the car seemed more stable than the baleno, NHC, palio, and.....even the amby..(he..he..)...

as for the speed- well, you have seen the pic from anshuman's drive, with the speedo showing 160, haven't you..... more pics on that angle will be put up, as soon as some bhp-ians get their swifts....only their pics would be showing 170+......

Quote:
Originally posted by Montoya

Though the Corolla had done 12 K it was disgusting but the Optra with 22K on it was like new.
the optra doesn't beg to be ripped, unlike the corolla- a corolla driver would be basking in it's performance, whereas the optra driver would be enjoying it's luxuries.... that doesn't mean that the optra isn't capable- just that you wouldn't drive a optra as you would a corolla.... and maybe the corolla you drove might have had all it's pervious test drives by individuals like you...(he..he...)

Last edited by veyron1 : 8th June 2005 at 14:43.
Old 8th June 2005, 14:36   #152
Senior - BHPian

Spot on Veyron1... awesome comparo.. you got it dead right...(i am talking about your rankings)

And i dont think any of us should complain about performance of Swift.. afterall, its a 1.3l car, and in its segment (ie 1300 cc), it surely rocks...

Last edited by DCEite : 8th June 2005 at 14:46.
Old 8th June 2005, 14:49   #153
BANNED

@ Veyron i would prefer to rip a Optra rather then a corolla since a Corolla is so uncertain. Poor handling. Poor brakes and poor ride. So noisy and tube type tyres. I have hardly seen any Corolla going fast.

Well dceite maruti could have geared her right an could have got her more drivable..
Old 8th June 2005, 14:49   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Spot on Veyron1... awesome comparo.. you got it dead right...

And i dont think any of us should complain about performance of Swift.. afterall, its a 1.3l car, and in its segment (ie 1300 cc), it surely rocks...

thanks dceite.... just thought i would say what would be on most of our minds....

and yes, the performance from the 1.3 is pretty much good enough- it's only when you compare, that it has to hand over the crown to the palio 1.6, none else......
Old 8th June 2005, 14:52   #155
BANNED

Quote:
that it has to hand over the crown to the palio 1.6, none else..
Tha palio always had the crown veyron..

Quote:
only their pics would be showing 170+......
i doubt it. No one would have the guts to take their cars to that limit.
Old 8th June 2005, 15:01   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have hardly seen any Corolla going fast.
ahem...quite the opposite in my case.... 90% of the corollas that i have met have greeted me at 150 kmph or so.... but all cases can't be the same, eh....?

Quote:
Well dceite maruti could have geared her right an could have got her more drivable..
true... but all the same, good for modifying-lesser shifts, more kmph/1000 r.p.m to play with, and can be best utilised with the help of some more torque.... and the current torque, the max coming in at 4500 r.p.m, is good for some serious mods- like the OHC..... i knew a dude who modded it to rev to 7800 r.p.m (1.5, non-vtec)...!! and it's always good for speed-maniacs when the torque kicks in at a high r.p.m- but not that good for driveability in city, though- a glitch that all enthusiasts will happily live with..(he..he..)..

p.s- the esteem has very tall gearing- and viper's modded twin cam esteem seems to be doing well, i guess....
Old 8th June 2005, 15:09   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tha palio always had the crown veyron..
ha..ha.. very true.... a small mistake on my part there...

Quote:
i doubt it. No one would have the guts to take their cars to that limit.
oh, no.....there are many bhpians who've ripped a 5-speed 800 till 145...(myself being one of 'em)....!!! and make no mistake about this one- modded palio 1.6's can do 185 kmph with ease, and so can modded swifts.... albeit with more stability.... even in stock form, the swift will happily do 170.... and i'm sure, that once the deliveries are in full swing, somebody will post a speedo pic doing 170+...
Old 8th June 2005, 15:16   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
even in stock form, the swift will happily do 170
Can the stock tyres face such torture?? Isn't it too dangerous to take your car to 150+ when tyres aren't made for those speeds?!!
Old 8th June 2005, 15:21   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Can the stock tyres face such torture?? Isn't it too dangerous to take your car to 150+ when tyres aren't made for those speeds?!!

well, the 'S' rated tyres are good enough for 160 kmph or so, and the tubeless ones on the zxi should be able to sustain those speeds.....
Old 8th June 2005, 17:17   #160
BANNED

Swiftly Done

Quote:
the esteem has very tall gearing- and viper's modded twin cam esteem seems to be doing well, i guess....
Yeah and his car will then hit a indicated 300+ in fifth at 6000RPM

Quote:
many bhpians who've ripped a 5-speed 800 till 145
Well Veyron buddy its about safety and i am talking about speeds in which you feel safe.. and i didnot feel safe atleast in that Vxi with those tyres maybe the Zxi tyres will carry a different story altogether..

Anywayz Congo on your Baleno
Old 8th June 2005, 18:45   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

its not being engine too lazy but its tall gearing thats spoiling all the fun here.but according to ACI 0-100 times of swift are 11.60secs,petra 1.6=11.57secs,ikon1.6=11.96,NHC=13.11,getz=14.47,o pel corsa sial1.6=12.23,thats pretty good for a 1.3 engine,then swift 40-100kmph(4thgear)=18.88secs,petra1.6=19.7 secs,ikon1.6=18.8secs,corsa sail1.6=19.3 secs,i think swift's performance is great looking at these stats,and on road feel is really great try taking the car to a highway it wont disappoint(i've tried it).
Old 8th June 2005, 20:51   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah and his car will then hit a indicated 300+ in fifth at 6000RPM
he..he... well, if not 300, given the propah mods, that car will at least do an indicated 200+, considering that the some of the properly tuned GP and open class rally esteems can do 210 kmph+ with ease, and even heavier modding can see top speeds in excess of 220, and 0-100 in about 7 seconds or less...

Quote:
Well Veyron buddy its about safety and i am talking about speeds in which you feel safe
well, if that's the case, then we all should feel the safest in a safari, endeavour, or a pajero while blasting at 160 kmph....which is true; but then, no sedan or hatch will offer the safety or stability of an SUV on a straight line (on proper public roads/highways, not track), so it should be pointless to rip any sedan or hatch, which isn't the case..... i say this because a city (old/new) or an astra doesn't give you the feel like in a safari or endeavour at speeds of 160 kmph...and i've tasted that personally....

but yes, the car should instill confidence in you for you to burn the road, and almost all the cars on the indian roads can do that, given the mods.... (and yeah, 145 in an 800 is.......... S-C-A-R-Y..!!!!).

so, i guess except the 800, alto, zen, santro, and wagon-r, any other car feels stable enough to do 160 kmph, for me, that is.....

Quote:
Anywayz Congo on your Baleno
er....that was shortlived, actually- got news from the dealer that a facelifted version is due in a couple of months, so that plan's been postponed.......this hasn't affected the status of the swift's booking, since we didn't cancel it, so the delivery date should be as expected. actually, after driving the swift, my dad, liked it very much- so we decided to go in for both the baleno and the swift..... but it seems my parking space won't be graced by both of them, at least for now.....

it seems bad luck is on a spree nowadays....what with you getting an improperly set-up swift for the test drive, my plans for the baleno being postponed, the news of the fortuner making a late entry (thus creating another dilemma for mua), etc. ......

anshuman, the performance data from autocar are to be taken with a pinch of salt...... but nevertheless, the order of the performance of the cars that you have mentioned are more or less the same, by any magazine....and true, any car has to be driven on proper tarmac to get a true feel of it's potential- which is why all mags do their testing on both city and highway roads- and the swift is pretty quick on the highway. the NHC, and some others, will feel more quick in the city, not just due to their gearing, but also for the fact that they make their peak torque at low r.p.m's, which aid in their acceleration at city speeds- but take all the cars to an empty stretch, give them room, and then watch them spread their wings...... and it is in this count, that i say that the swift has sufficient performance......
Old 8th June 2005, 21:45   #163
BHPian

when i was in Mysore for the Safari Rally .. the maruti guys brought the Swift to Hotel Kadur Inn and gave all the rallyists a Test Drive ... Pritveen and Jiby Malliakkal too had a test drive in that and after that when we discussed they felt it will make a great rally car if it comes with an 1.6 L engine ... they felt that present 1.3 L was little underpowered ...
Lets hope that Swift comes into rallying in both 1.3L and 1.6L versions ...
Old 8th June 2005, 21:51   #164
Senior - BHPian

well, haryan- expect the swift to be entering the rallies as early as by november this year- i have also heard that maruti has started work on some rally spec swifts, for some special rallyist customers......

expect the 1.6 rally swift to debut by next year.

and yes, the swift would make one helluva rally car- better built, sturdy, hard-wearing, and more capable than the esteem or the baleno....and not to mention handling that would make any true rallyist happy..
Old 8th June 2005, 22:13   #165
BANNED

Wel veyron its sad but also good to know that your baleno is postponed so hopefully you will get a Baleno with Climate control airbags and ABS and a nice butt(read rear)

As far stability is concerned i feel sedans are better off then SUVs due to firstly the SUVS like TATA SAFARIS wont reach that speeds with ease and secondly SUVS dont have sedan type aerodynamics and ground clearance to handle them better at those speeds. The high height does no good to handling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks