Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 21:24   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

These days am seeing too many Lineas on delhi roads all of a sudden. About a month and a half back, whenever i went out, was only was able to spot 1 Linea in 2-3 days in South delhi but nowadays am daily seeing 3-4 Lineas all in F.RED or Silver colour.
Saw 2 Puntos too today, seems Fiat is back on track.
coolboy, Even I meet 2 to 3 lineas comfortably on my drive to office. Looks like Linea is now picking up. Lets see the July month sales figures .

The other day I saw a white Punto on road. Looks were cool curising at a good speed.
Old 30th July 2009, 22:39   #422
BHPian

Hotel Taj Vivanta at ITPL, Bangalore is having Linea for Concierge services
Old 31st July 2009, 02:50   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
The External beauty:
I have had a couple of scratches involving the clearcoat on the boot and the bonnet and one small scratch in my front and back right side bumper
Whatever you do, do not ask Concorde to touch it up.. they are absolutely hopeless at matching shades.
I made the mistake, and now my front bumper looks like it has chicken pox! Well ok its not that bad, but there are blobs of mismatched paint across what used to be tiny marks.

Quote:
Performance:
The lower torque between 1k RPM to 2k RPM has improved leaps and bounds.
Even I noticed a bit of improvement in the low end torque after the first service. On one occasion I accidentally slowed down to a complete stop and took a U-turn while still in the 2nd gear, and it made no fuss. The drivetrain would shudder like crazy if I ever made that mistake earlier on.
However I still find the low-end torque inconsistent, since on a few occasions its easy to get the engine to knock (if you're not revving enough) while moving the car from stand-still. I don't know if its an issue with my engine, but in bumper to bumper traffic its quite annoying.

Have you noticed any issues with your drive-by-wire? I find it laggy, and the engine takes almost a second or more to respond to any throttle input (even when you're in neutral). Also, say the engine is spinning at 2k rpm or so and you take your foot off the throttle.. the engine rpm drops slowly and smoothly, but after a second it suddenly drops down to the idle rpm in a very violent/jerky manner and the engine braking takes you by surprise. Is this normal? Concorde says it is. This same behaviour makes the car a little difficult to control in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
FE:
I have found out that the more aggressive you drive the car the more FE it gives. Guys try that out in your cars as well.
While this is partly true, its not about aggressive driving but more about shifting correctly/later. A lot of people have this tendency to shift early and then push the accelerator at 1k rpm in 5th gear.. even the real-time FE indicator will show you how inefficient this is. Even the manual warns you that shifting early will give you lower FE and unnecessary engine wear.

Quote:
Gear Slotting:
I have had difficulties in engaging the reverse gear a couple of times now though havent tried to assess it more ( or rather i dont know how to go about it). There is also a very small play in the gear knob which is noticible now. I have not had difficulties in engaging gears when driving.
I have the exact same issue, and its quite embarrassing when you're in the middle of the road and the reverse gear doesn't engage. It feels like it slots in, but it doesn't. Have had slight difficult engaging the 1st gear too. Mentioned both these issues during 1st service, but obviously it was not fixed. Instead, I started noticing the same play in the gear knob as you mention.

Quote:
I havent even taken the plastic covers on the seats and the sun visor.
I haven't either because of the numerous visits my car has made to the TASS in about a month of ownership and because apart from applying dashboard shiner, Concorde have no idea how to clean interiors.

Quote:
There are a few niggles till present like:
4. The inside rear view mirror i feel is not adequate to cover or show the entire rear view. I have upgraded the IRVM with the ones that came with reverse sensor but still i find it inadequate mainly because of the huge rear glass length. Still have to take time to get used to it.
6. ACC is not powerful in scorching temparature. The cooling goes off as soon as the A/C is shut off. And it is not becoming as cooler as it used to be in my dad's verna with occasional suffocation episodes. Theside vents are not as powerful as the central vents in front.I will check the A/C next time.
The inside rear view mirror actually does have a large view.. but the rear glass is not large enough to see outside, and even then the headrests occupy almost 50% of whatever rear view there is. The side-view mirrors in contrast are excellent. The only shortcoming is that they have a slight curvature, so objects in the RVM are really closer than it shows! I have misjudged the distance and accidentally cut across a few vehicles this way. In fact if you look at the same object in your side RVM and the interior RVM, you will find a huge difference in distance between the two.. with the interior RVM being more accurate.

The ACC is RUBBISH. I've had my ACC replaced *completely* once and fixed/tweaked twice. After all that, the ACC has improved perhaps by 10%. I am actually a bit confused, since I remember the AC was so effective on the TD vehicle, my fingers went numb with the cold.
I have no issues with the AC in the night, however the temp setting does seem inaccurate since even a 16C setting on the ACC doesnt really get that cold. I can only conclude that the ACC is rubbish, and can't cope with the higher daytime ambient temps in Chennai.
Another issue is that, each time the compressor cuts out or cuts in (and this happens very often), the engine responds with a jerk with the change in load.. I don't really know if this is normal, but it really ruins the refinement. Have you noticed the same?
Old 31st July 2009, 08:05   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post

The inside rear view mirror actually does have a large view.. but the rear glass is not large enough to see outside, and even then the headrests occupy almost 50% of whatever rear view there is. The side-view mirrors in contrast are excellent. The only shortcoming is that they have a slight curvature, so objects in the RVM are really closer than it shows! I have misjudged the distance and accidentally cut across a few vehicles this way. In fact if you look at the same object in your side RVM and the interior RVM, you will find a huge difference in distance between the two.. with the interior RVM being more accurate.

The ACC is RUBBISH. I've had my ACC replaced *completely* once and fixed/tweaked twice. After all that, the ACC has improved perhaps by 10%. I am actually a bit confused, since I remember the AC was so effective on the TD vehicle, my fingers went numb with the cold.
I have no issues with the AC in the night, however the temp setting does seem inaccurate since even a 16C setting on the ACC doesnt really get that cold. I can only conclude that the ACC is rubbish, and can't cope with the higher daytime ambient temps in Chennai.
Another issue is that, each time the compressor cuts out or cuts in (and this happens very often), the engine responds with a jerk with the change in load.. I don't really know if this is normal, but it really ruins the refinement. Have you noticed the same?
For a better view there is a mirror called broadway available which is about 250mm in length. this gives you a real broad view as well as reduces chances of you cutting across vehicles.

as regards ACC do this test: go to a service station which has a hoist. switch on the car with ACC and hoist it. then observe the condensor drain pipe to check how much of water flows out. if the water flow when the ACC is 16 is not heavy and comes out in drops it means the floor end of the drain pipe is choked with dust and debris. take a screw driver and clean the drain pipe.

the condensor switches on and off because of flooding in the compressor. even i faced the problem and noticed that during hard braking the ac used to go off and a suffocating feeling used to exist inside the car. on my TASS visit to get a brochure of punto i asked them to put the car on a hoist and check up. and there was a lot of debris choking the drain pipe. as soon as the debris was removed and the car run for 15 minutes there was almost half a bucket of water collected.
Old 31st July 2009, 08:19   #425
BHPian

When you're saying the compressor cuts off ... you mean the * symbol in display will go OFF?

What I observed in my car, when the temp-differential is more, it blows strong and once it reaches the set temperature, it reduces the cooling but never cuts off (I think the * is always there).
Also if outside temp is lower, then it even starts heating the cabin!
Hope my system is behaving as expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
the condensor switches on and off because of flooding in the compressor. even i faced the problem and noticed that during hard braking the ac used to go off and a suffocating feeling used to exist inside the car.
Old 31st July 2009, 08:32   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
When you're saying the compressor cuts off ... you mean the * symbol in display will go OFF?
NeoTraveller the Compressor * symbol doesnt go off. all of a sudden you would feel that the ac is not cooling and all your getting is plain air and not conditioned air and within a few minutes the system gets back to normal
Old 31st July 2009, 10:07   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
NeoTraveller the Compressor * symbol doesnt go off. all of a sudden you would feel that the ac is not cooling and all your getting is plain air and not conditioned air and within a few minutes the system gets back to normal
+1,
I set ACC to 25 and on cold days when its rains outside the compressor cuts out and comes in multiple times. I can feel the difference in pickup of the car and placing hands at central vents shows tha compressor is not cooling with full strength.

The * compressor symbol doesnt go off like in home window Ac's but compressor does cut out.
To feel the change just reduce temp to 19-20 from 25 and the comp kicks in again with chilled air.
Old 31st July 2009, 10:28   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you noticed any issues with your drive-by-wire?. Is this normal? Concorde says it is
Initially the car would lag a second behind after a pushing of the pedal and then respond. It was before the first service. But now after tweaking the engine in firstservice the output is nearly linear and no lag. But the deceleration is as you said. it drops sharply after a couple of second after taking the foot off the pedal which is quite normal i think so.

Quote:
It doesnt happen very often in mine . it takes a long time to cut off. probably there is something wrong with the acc in yiour car. have it checked. It jerks when the compressor is switching on. but it doesnt jerk during the cut off.....I think these concorde fellows dont have substansial skill in handling linea. thats why we are suffering. whereas the other guys in bombay or anywhere else are probably trained more so they are able to get away with it.

What sunil and coolboy says is true. thats what happens.

What about the throw from the side vents and the central vents?. in mine the side vents throw is not even 20% of the throw from central vents
Old 31st July 2009, 11:39   #429
BHPian

coolboy,
This is exactly same behavior for me also. I checked again today.
The compressor seemed to have stopped after it reached the set temperature (25).

So just to check if its not the AC problem .. i reduced temp to 22. cold air started coming out again.
Hope we don't have this AC problem.

One more peculiar thing:
driver-side central vent is blowing more cooler air than the passenger-side central vent!
Check by placing your palm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
+1,
I set ACC to 25 and on cold days when its rains outside the compressor cuts out and comes in multiple times. I can feel the difference in pickup of the car and placing hands at central vents shows tha compressor is not cooling with full strength.

The * compressor symbol doesnt go off like in home window Ac's but compressor does cut out.
To feel the change just reduce temp to 19-20 from 25 and the comp kicks in again with chilled air.
Old 31st July 2009, 12:28   #430
BANNED

Guys,

What you all are saying is what is experienced by most of Linea owners. I've always been puzzled at ACC behaviour & finally what I could deduce is as below:
  • ACC is designed in such a manner with these characteristics as explained by all of you above. Since its an ACC, its cooling is comparatively lesser than manual AC which does not control temp to a set level.
  • What Sunilrj says seems to be true. Check my thread - I was puzzled at AC completely going off while going uphill on a steep kasara ghat on Nasik road. It became completely hot & I surely felt there was an issue with AC. Then after sometime the cooling returned. Also after 1st service the cooling improved (though I'm sure they did not cleansed AC drain pipe. And once I saw bucketfull of AC drain water down below spilled on road after I parked the car.
Old 31st July 2009, 12:31   #431
BHPian

I think it is a general phenomena with FIAT, my S10 behave the same way. side vents don't throw very cool air which is quite irritating in scorching heat.

One more peculiar thing:
driver-side central vent is blowing more cooler air than the passenger-side central vent!
Check by placing your palm.[/quote]
Old 31st July 2009, 14:53   #432
Senior - BHPian

And not to say about those suffocation transient episodes when the a/c switches on and when compressor stops.............
Old 31st July 2009, 15:43   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
I think it is a general phenomena with FIAT, my S10 behave the same way. side vents don't throw very cool air which is quite irritating in scorching heat.
Yes it is right. The side vents throw more air only when you stop the air flow though the center vents. I dont know why it has been designed like this.
Old 31st July 2009, 15:51   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Guys,
What Sunilrj says seems to be true. Check my thread - I was puzzled at AC completely going off while going uphill on a steep kasara ghat on Nasik road. It became completely hot & I surely felt there was an issue with AC. Then after sometime the cooling returned. Also after 1st service the cooling improved (though I'm sure they did not cleansed AC drain pipe. And once I saw bucketfull of AC drain water down below spilled on road after I parked the car.
VP am more or less an expert now with Linea issues and solutions specially since i own a linea myself and also give a hand to the TASS in identifying linea problems and rectifying them. am like the second call centre for the TASS here. now coming to the AC drain pipe, its at the beginning of the Transmission tunnel just next to the engine firewall. any splash of mud, dirt, slush from the front wheel tends to get deposited first in the transmisson tunnel in any car. if you put your car up on a hoist and check you would observe that the first half of the car after the engine bay is dirtier than the rear half. in most other cars the AC drain goes back into the engine compartment and is fixed on the firewall. in the linea the drain pipe does right now and joins the transmission tunnel. a good pressure wash of the underbody can dislodge these dust and dirt particles. or the other way round in case there is shortage of water is to use a screwdriver to clean the opening of the drain pipe.
Old 31st July 2009, 15:53   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Yes it is right. The side vents throw more air only when you stop the air flow though the center vents. I dont know why it has been designed like this.
its the same in all cars. this is because the blower is located at the base of the centre console and different pipes carry air to the Centre Vents and Side Vents. More the distance of the vents from the blower, lesser the air throw

Most Viewed