Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 12:32   #31
BHPian

Hey guys,

Small update, actually a question really. While driving yesterday i realized that i have almost done 940+ KMs so decided to get the service done today. Noted down all the things i wanted to take care of during service(Mainly tire alignment and a minor touch up at the back and some turbo issues). Went through my manual and decided on Motocraft Noida sec 63 branch for the service. According to the manual they are considered to be under MSZ(Maruti Service Zone) and not MASS.

Called them up today morning today at around 9:00 AM and took a appointment. Reached there are 11:00 and my first impression of the workshop was pretty average. Now in the past i have also been to Motocraft's original service centre in Sec 8 Noida and have heard all prasies about them. As per my last visit i was more then impressed with what i saw there. But here the area wasn't so clean and the cars were parked haphazardly in the front side of the premises. Now i expected somebody to walk up to me but i was wrong again. I parked my car and went inside and reached the reception area. Asked the person who has just followed me from the outside to the reception area "Yes Sir". I told him that i was there to get my car serviced and his answer was "Talk to Mr. Jasbir outside" and right after that he picked up his phone just to call somebody. Weired i said to myself.

Went outside and immediately spotted a sardarji and realized that he would be Jasbir. Walked upto him and told him i was there for my service. He nodded and we both started walking towards the car. During the walk i told him that i am here instead of Vipul Motors from where i originally purchased the car as i consider MotoCraft a better place for a good service experience and he assured me that i would get one.

He opened the Job card as he was filling in the details i asked him what engine oil he would be using. He answered Shell. I immediately told him i wanted Mobil and he told me that mine is a diesel car and Mobil comes for petrol. I advised him to check his service manual provided my Maruti and told him that Mobil would be on No 1 on the Maruti's List. He asked me to follow him and took me to the back side of the service center and showed me a room where all the oil drums were kept and told me to read the top of the oil drum. He pointed his finger on the Maruti authorized logo and then the shell logo's. It was getting painful at that time for me and i told him that i never questioned what you are putting in the car. I told him that all I wanted was Mobil which is also recommended by Maruti. He then took me to his supervisor who then again told me he has never heard of Mobil. I told him "Dear tell me if you can arrange Mobil. If not then i am out of here." He went inside his spares room and walked out with a person who again was trying to explain me how shell is what has been coming to them from Maruti and is superior oil and he has never heard of Mobil. I then was like never mind and i was out of there.Came straight back to my office and making this post.

And to why am i so fussy about Mobil well here is straight from the horse's mouth :

Part 1: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1290146-post627.html
Part 2: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1290234-post629.html
End Result: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1293251-post70.html

Now i too have a bit of turbo issues and i want it be sorted it from scratch. And this brings me to the question. Where do you get your Maruti serviced from in Noida and NCR region. I still have my odo reading as 950 so another 50Kms to go.

Update: Just called Moto Craft Sec 8 Service centre and talked to Mr. Yoginder(Floor Supervisor) and asked him about the same. He told me that they are using Mobil Delvac and nothing else for Diesel's. Told him about his Sec 63 branch and shell availability and he advised me to come to Sec 8 Branch only. I am speechless.

Last edited by Switch : 18th May 2009 at 12:38.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:21   #32
BHPian

what turbo issues are you having dude?
Old 18th May 2009, 16:43   #33
Team-BHP Support

Which grade shell are they using? and what sort of turbo problem are you facing?

Asking since i havent heard of Shell MUL supply for Swift D???
Old 18th May 2009, 17:08   #34
BHPian

The turbo kicks in at around 2300-2400 RPMs as opposed to 2000. And TBH once he said Shell i didn't bother to check which one.

Just received a SMS that my car is ready for a pickup. Let me get the car back and i will post a full report. Also the estimate given to me is RS 850 for 2.9 ltr's oil change. Is it correct as i was under the impression that first oil change is free for first service. Also they are not changing the Filter.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

You have to pay for the oil, but 850 for 2.9 l looks a li'l on the higher side. Filter change should be done but is not mentioned in the service manual so is not done.
Old 18th May 2009, 18:01   #36
Team-BHP Support

I think they have changed the filter and drain plug also? anyways its not covered under "free" service.

Shall wait for your update.
Old 18th May 2009, 18:13   #37
BHPian

they charged me Rs 760 for 2.9 lts of oil in my first service.i guess oil change is not free.
what i have noticed is that if the car is standing in the hot sun for a long time or if you are driving in hot weather the turbo kick comes a bit late dude.at night when temperatures are low the turbo kicks in much earlier.i dont think its an issue.just ignore it.
Old 18th May 2009, 18:29   #38
Team-BHP Support

@shanty: yes this can be due to high ambient temperature = less dense air = less oxygen for engine. I have felt the same on multiple occasions.
Old 18th May 2009, 19:49   #39
BHPian

Well just got the car back. The bill total was Rs 696 for 2.9Ltr's of Devalc. The car was quite dirty when i reached there. But upon opening the hood i found the engine to be spanking clean. The supervisor told me that the car has not been wiped after the wash. But still the was nowhere near clean IMHO. The interiors too were quite dirty and even after standing on top of the cleaning guy's head the dash still feels not clean.

The alignment issue though was looked into and i guess its 99.9% corrected now. Though i still cant say anything about the turbo as the drive from the service center to my office was full of evening traffic. Also i had a little rattle issue on the side doors which was fixed as per the service adviser. I need a clean and free road strip to check that out.

I honestly felt that they don't do much with the car during the first service. Just a wash, minor checks and engine oil change. Also do i need to get the air filter changed. If yes then i would get it done. But honestly i too feel that just doing 1K KMs is quite less for a filter change.

Tomorrow i am going for ICE installation in my car. The surgery would be performed under the observative eyes of LBM. The stuff which would be going in would be:

Illusion Electra 6.1 component
Illusion Electra 6x9 Speaker
Pio HU still undecided between a 5050/6050/4190UB
or Clarion 785USB if i could source one from US (A temp HU would go in for the time being)
A JBL or a Blau Budget 4 Channel amp
and if i am still not satisfied a sub with a conceled enclosure.

Advise me if i am doing something wrong. Will post pics when done
Old 18th May 2009, 20:11   #40
Team-BHP Support

Air filter can be replaced at 10k mark, though MUL will say 20k kms. At 5k maybe you can get it cleaned.
Old 23rd May 2009, 13:02   #41
BHPian

Now i have completed almost 1200 Kms and thinking of few further upgrades. The headlamps of the car i feel is underpowered and want to get something better for the same but in yellow color and not white. Also suggest me a good quality can of spray paint for minor touch up jobs. Somebody scratched bumper of my car while it was in the parking and its looking quite horrible to me.

Also i did notice that when the car is parked in shade the turbo kicks in sooner then when the car is parked in a sunny area. Delhi becomes quite hot at this time of the year.

Finally even after doing almost 1200Kms i find my FE figures quite low. According to my rouch calculations my FE is almost 13-14 with 100% AC. Though my driving style is not very aggressive.
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Now i have completed almost 1200 Kms and thinking of few further upgrades. The headlamps of the car i feel is underpowered and want to get something better for the same but in yellow color and not white. Also suggest me a good quality can of spray paint for minor touch up jobs. Somebody scratched bumper of my car while it was in the parking and its looking quite horrible to me.

Also i did notice that when the car is parked in shade the turbo kicks in sooner then when the car is parked in a sunny area. Delhi becomes quite hot at this time of the year.

Finally even after doing almost 1200Kms i find my FE figures quite low. According to my rouch calculations my FE is almost 13-14 with 100% AC. Though my driving style is not very aggressive.
For the headlamps, try to get hold of Osram nightbreaker bulbs. They are rated at stock wattage hence no need for relays and all.Their throw is nice and so is the density.I use them on my swift and Octy.Very happy with them.A pair should cost you around 1000-1500 max.

As for the Turbo kicking in sooner, I have always observed that the car is much more eager after a cold start when the engine is just warming up. I dont know much but my guess is its because the air filter is also cooler since the engine bay is cooler and hence cooler air is being induced ? compared to slightly warmer air going in after the engine is hot,heating the engine bay area and also the filter to some extent. Similarly even the intercooler would be functioning a bit more efficiently ? I might be completely wrong.

As for the FE, even though you do not drive aggresively, your driving pattern also determines what sort of FE you get. For example, In normal driving, I shift at around 3k rpm or even lower when driving in granny mode LOL and usually try driving in a higher gear if possible. From my experience, with sedate driving I do get around 17-18kmpl and rarely around 20kmpl. With a bit of spirited driving, around 15kmpl but never below 15 till date. This is after Petes box and Green CAI.
I have switched to Full synthetic Mobil 1 5W40 after 10k kms and change my oil every 10k kms without fail. I also make it a point to replace the fuel filter regularly since I do a lot of travelling and one cannot gurantee fuel quality on fuel stations on highways.
My car has done 50k kms till date and I have observed all these aspects over such a long period of time and there hasn't been too much deviation.

Last edited by Amey : 23rd May 2009 at 14:24.
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

but arent nightbreakers more whitish compared to the xtremepowers? any tinting on the bulb's glass means less output and more bling. 13~14 on a swift is shocking - it's the worst I've heard yet
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but arent nightbreakers more whitish compared to the xtremepowers? any tinting on the bulb's glass means less output and more bling. 13~14 on a swift is shocking - it's the worst I've heard yet
You can say pale yellow but the Nightbreakers arent white from any angle.The colour turns to pale yellow only on high beam, low beam is yellow.thats what I have observed and some Tbhpians who use them and have seen them in my car feel.
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:44   #45
BHPian

nightbreakes arent white as greenhorn said. they provide good illumination, much better than stock bulbs.
my avatar pic has the same bulb.

Last edited by white_vdi : 23rd May 2009 at 21:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks