Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 16:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Good on the change of lighting. And at 90/130, I am sure you will have a high level of respect from the high-beamers!

So when eh??
90/130? or 90/100?

Didnt change oil filter?
Old 13th May 2009, 17:20   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

90/130...or maybe even 100/130...scooterists who dont wear a helmet ahead of you will have their hair fried...

Make sure you switch off the lights even when at a signal for a minute...the heat is absolutely crazy from these things...

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th May 2009 at 15:03. Reason: Hi RedLiner, please avoid...typing like...this. Thanks.
Old 13th May 2009, 19:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Make sure you switch off the lights even when at a signal for a minute...the heat is absolutely crazy from these things...
Important tip... thanks! Have to keep this in mind. Even the person from whom I bought the bulbs, told me this (though he mentioned this as an issue against "cool" phillips rallye which he was pushing like mad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
90/130? or 90/100?

Didnt change oil filter?
It's 90/130. I know that's weird, but Osram has this rating only in this range.
Changed the oil filter also. Forgot to mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
wow awesome picture man, surely this beast looks cool in that colour, mostly seens are in white and silvers.Kep updating and more pictures.Drive safe.CHEERS!!
Thanks buddy! Will surely post more pictures once I can go to some place nice.

Quote:
So the first service and you get taken for a ride! You do enjoy rides, dont you Sen!

Anyway, as long as you are happy, so be it!

Good on the change of lighting. And at 90/130, I am sure you will have a high level of respect from the high-beamers!

Ah, the Stebel Nautilus, as Suman said, more respect.

When do you plan for a loooong ride?

Inspiring threads from ADC are a sure addictive and the temptation is hard to fight agains! And I am sure you are checking out TSK's thread current thread also.

So when eh??
I am dying to get out and go...
But both me and my wife has spent all our sick leaves while preparing for the purchase/ delivery. Have to maintain good health now and also climb the mountain of pending work.
That said, I might take off for somewhere next weekend.

About the ride at the service station, I did sense that I was being sold something which as not a dead necessity. But I still humored them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Congrats on the Stebel, now all lesser mortals will run for their lives

You've been "had" with the Bardahl bit - no need really, certainly not at 1,500 kms
I just hope the piece I bought is an original one. It is quite heavy (I still judge things by weight, light and flimsy = counterfeit) and the sound also has a little bit of quality as I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Did they make any alterations to the wiring to put the relay and the headlight???
Because if any wiring alteration done by splitting/cutting the original wire then there will be problem for the warranty claims.

You should have given them more time for doing the work, by doing this they will compromise on service.
Wire cutting was involved to insert the relay. Same was done for the horn installation also as I installed a toggle switch to alternate between the stock and the stebel horns. I don't want to use that loud a horn in the city.

The warranty deal is like this (as per my discussion with service guy) -

If the electrical system shorts due to improper installation of the said components (bad quality insulation or putting the wires in close proximity to the hot parts in the engine bay), then Tata Motors will not be responsible for wiring. However, say if my AC is damaged due to the short, that WILL be covered under the warranty as the AC is supposed to have a fuse and is not supposed to blow out due to a short.

Second thing is the headlight assembly. Now that we have inserted different wires into the assembly, the stock gasket for making it water tight could not be used. A custom gasket was made with thermocol and used in it. IF I still have water seeping in damaging the reflector/ bulb/ anything else in the assembly, I have to pay for it.
However, the guy who did the installation for me has a good reputation in area and I too know him from before. He has sworn on god that water won't seep in and if it does, he will give me the warranty.
Well... I saw many many cars getting their headlights upgraded from this guy regularly. So keeping my fingers crossed...

I guess this is a fair deal as I cannot install anything beyond 60/65 without violating warranty. So this is a small risk I have to take and I am willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

They got successful in their sales pitch.
to you, gowda, suman and happywheels.
The reason I bought their sales pitch is like this -
I understand from whatever I interactions I had with the sales and service staff of Tata that they are not entirely happy with the company. Now, I need to do something to make my relationship nice with the service people. I shall have a very long association with them in the future and will depend on them for things I badly need but don't quite understand.
This car is not an Honda or Toyota (and even if it was), so I will have to bear with non SEICMM Level5 quality of things and be dependant on "personal heroics" for resolution of my problems.
So i think it's fine if they made some progress in their Bardhal sales target because of me. It'll pay me rich dividends later.

I agree that this is a very subjective argument and not entirely correct.
But, from my own professional experience, I know that we tend to treat the clients better who had shared the responsibility of relationship building with us. And we often help such clients beyond the documented guidelines of the organizations we work for. This is what I shall need from Tata service guys as well. So...
Old 13th May 2009, 20:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Important tip... thanks! Have to keep this in mind. Even the person from whom I bought the bulbs, told me this (though he mentioned this as an issue against "cool" phillips rallye which he was pushing like mad.)

It's 90/130. I know that's weird, but Osram has this rating only in this range.

Changed the oil filter also. Forgot to mention. .
Can you post some pix of the bulb's package or so?

I couldnt find it on OSRAM

// OSRAM|index

What's with the gasket story? And whats thermocole doing in a place which gets hot?

I have been using 90/100W for almost 20k now. Been through heavy monsoon period too, no issues with leaking or anything. I used a wiring kit for headlamps, plug and play.
Old 13th May 2009, 20:27   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys can you tell me the specifications of the Safari headlight bulb? Is it H3 or H4 etc..
Old 13th May 2009, 20:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys can you tell me the specifications of the Safari headlight bulb? Is it H3 or H4 etc..
I reckon it is H4. H3 bulbs are usually used in fog lamps.

Quote:
The reason I bought their sales pitch is like this -
... This is what I shall need from Tata service guys as well. So...
Sen, Guilty as charged. I have also done such things so as to get a better relation.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 13th May 2009 at 20:46.
Old 13th May 2009, 20:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

It's a H4 which is used in the Safari.

Quote:
I cannot install anything beyond 60/65 without violating warranty
Sen it is 60/55 you could have used the OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER which is the equivalent of the OE light, for which there is no alteration required.

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER Details -

H4 - 64193 NBR
12 V 60/55 W
Test voltage: 13.2 V
Base: P43t
ECE approval: E1

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th May 2009 at 20:53.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:

What's with the gasket story? And whats thermocole doing in a place which gets hot?

I have been using 90/100W for almost 20k now. Been through heavy monsoon period too, no issues with leaking or anything. I used a wiring kit for headlamps, plug and play.
I will post pictures of the bulb box tomorrow. I have the bulb packages.

Actually the gasket they used looks like thermocol. They said it's ceramic. I don't know if you can get ceramic free of cost.

Quote:

Sen, Guilty as charged. I have also done such things so as to get a better relation.

Smiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
It's a H4 which is used in the Safari.

Sen it is 60/55 you could have used the OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER which is the equivalent of the OE light, for which there is no alteration required.

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER Details -

H4 - 64193 NBR
12 V 60/55 W
Test voltage: 13.2 V
Base: P43t
ECE approval: E1
I have searched length and breadth of Andheri Link Road, Milan Subway and Malad Inorbit surrounding areas in addition to Mulund but coulod not find Osram Night Braker.
Everybody has phillips rallye and Osram Offroad.

So i decided to take this one as finding replacementrs when the bulbs fuse will also be easier. And I can replace them with Phillips Ralley (which are very easily available) without suffering a great deal of light.
Old 14th May 2009, 00:16   #39
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I shall have a very long association with them in the future and will depend on them for things I badly need but don't quite understand.
Doubt if the service advisor will remember that you took the Bardahl treatment from him - he is able to put it across through 9 out 10 people.

May be you can do this - Give that service advisor [SA] a 10/10 when the TM headquarters call for feedback [and 10/10 is okay out here since everything worked out well in this 1st service] and tell the SA the same that you had done such, as you got some good service and expect that to continue. That 10/10 for a SA does matter quite a lot in his appraisal!
Old 15th May 2009, 16:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Man! The package is thrown away before I could get to it for taking snaps. But, don't worry. I have sent for another pair of these for my friend's car. I'll post the pictures from them very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
May be you can do this - Give that service advisor [SA] a 10/10 when the TM headquarters call for feedback [and 10/10 is okay out here since everything worked out well in this 1st service] and tell the SA the same that you had done such, as you got some good service and expect that to continue. That 10/10 for a SA does matter quite a lot in his appraisal!
Agreed. Done the same...
And what's up with you anyway? No travelogue in April - May? I was browsing the section assuming you can't stay home for all those long weekends!
Old 15th May 2009, 20:02   #41
BHPian

The Inside Story! Smokes!

Back in college, we often had a challenge among friends called Storm Light.
The challenge was to light up as many cigarettes as one can from a single matchstick, while there would be very strong wind and light rain.
The pro version was to do it with one hand.

I never won such a contest. Always rejected the winners as weed somkers.
Now I wish! Had I been a little less arrogant and learnt the trick well... I could forgive the Safari's Cigarette lighter and could light up with a matchbox while driving.

The Safari lighter is the most effective and subtle anti-smoking campaign ever.

One cannot use the lighter if the gear is at 1,3 or 5.
If one is at 2 or 4 , he has a thin chance of actually lighting up - using the process as mentioned below:

1. Fiddle around under the ICE system and push the lid for opening the lighter system.
2. The lid will take about a couple of minutes to open and by this time you would have shifted to either 3 or 5.
3. Now wait till the gear is again at 2 or 4.
4. Push the lighter for it to heat up.
5. Lighter is hot and pops out. By the time lighter is hot and gives the pop sound, you have gone back to unfavorable gears.
6. Go back to step 3.
7. After around ten loops from start, one would get hot lighter making pop sound and the gear lever at favourable position.
8. Now bend the forearm at five points and then pull REALLY hard to get the lighter out of its socket.
9. Light Up.
10. Time to put it back. Wait for the gear lever to be at 2 or 4.
11. Gear is at 2 or 4.
12. Bend the forearm at nine places and try finding the socket by feeling it up with the hot lighter.
13. Push the lid back to close.
14. By this time you would have definitely crashed into something. So you won't really need to smoke.

If someone can actually come to step 13 without crashing, and have really been able to put his lighter back into his slot, he would notice that some residual tobacco stuck on the lighter coil will continue to burn in the socket and the resulting smoke will come out inthe cabin through AC vents!
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2009, 20:13   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Hahaha! That was an awesome note. Even the Scorp's gear lever interferes with 1 litre bottles placed in the holder next to the driver.
Old 15th May 2009, 21:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Sen,

Even if one is able to change gear with the heated cigarette lighter in hand, then (s)he is a great driver! But then, it would surely be a circus show to see!
Old 15th May 2009, 21:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Sen,

Even if one is able to change gear with the heated cigarette lighter in hand, then (s)he is a great driver! But then, it would surely be a circus show to see!
Don't even get me started with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hahaha! That was an awesome note. Even the Scorp's gear lever interferes with 1 litre bottles placed in the holder next to the driver.
You mean the gear lever which is BIGGER than certain other gear lever and which vibrates even when the engine is off?!
Old 15th May 2009, 23:45   #45
adc
Senior - BHPian

One heck of smoke description!!

Quote:
And what's up with you anyway? No travelogue in April - May? I was browsing the section assuming you can't stay home for all those long weekends!
Aare!! Just this April 1-10 North Sikkim went on - dont tell me you havent gone through it - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ni-tajpur.html (Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur)

As of now resolutely determined to stop all travels and save up for the Ladakh tour in late Sept/early October this year. But sure its tough to sit out this child's summer vacation days after coming to know of another remote trail up in the mountains thats quite unknown.

So whats the program like for the Puja holidays??

Also do post out here if you come across some good 12V tyre inflator in accessory shop - on the lookout for such.

Last edited by adc : 16th May 2009 at 00:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks