Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 14:09   #166
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
Has anybody in India ever tried automating the same mechanical gearbox instead of using the hydraulic auto trannies (slushboxes as GTO called them) or the belt-driven CVTs? Relatively Simple solenoid-valve type actuators should be able to produce the motion required to change gears and engage the clutch (clucthes are already fly by wire on a lot of cars - no direct mechanical linkage to the clutch pedal).
Related Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Lots of pride to see that number plate.
Confession : Umm, that was a photoshop job by us on the original HR registration numberplates. Still looks cool, right ?
Old 13th May 2009, 15:07   #167
BHPian

hey,
all said and done - some like the car some dont.
my question is vis-a-vis Swift - P & D
What should be the ideal price of Ritz be?

Ritz < swift
Ritz = Swift
Ritz > Swift
and by how much???
Old 13th May 2009, 15:18   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Confession : Umm, that was a photoshop job by us on the original HR registration numberplates. Still looks cool, right ?
Hehehe. My Bad. I thought since it was a first real expense paid review, we @ Bhp snickered it like an OD review. Anyways - makes me proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Check out the funny Flash Animation on the Ritz official website

Ritz Animation
Was there a leak in the Paint shop at their Plant? Was that what they were sniffing when the marketing team okayed this?

Another reason for me to dislike this car.
Old 13th May 2009, 15:41   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was there a leak in the Paint shop at their Plant? Was that what they were sniffing when the marketing team okayed this?
I think so too, when I first saw it I thought it must be some prank on net but was shocked to know that its on Ritz's official site
Old 13th May 2009, 16:12   #170
BHPian

A fully automated manual/mech gearbox

GTO,

Thanks for the AutoClutch link.

I read throuth the Automate thread and website. This is just an expensive automation of the clutch. I was talking about automating change of gears as well as clutch - to deliver a customer experience similar to a 'normal' AT. Electrically driven change of gears on a normal manual gearbox will avoid the FE loss in a hydraulic tranny.

Should not be beyond an Indian carmaker like Mahindra and TATA, both of whom have done much more ambitious auto engineering.
Old 13th May 2009, 20:21   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post

But OTOH today I was watching a Zen Estilo drive by and realised that even that model's looks have grown on me! Maybe I'm losing it

Its after all lots of personal opinions that make up collective opinion,Right?

About the Estilo and your newfound liking for it; Dont worry,its just your love for the ZEN badge that its taking over
Old 13th May 2009, 21:12   #172
BHPian

GTO,
Thanks a lot for an unbiased review on the Ritz.
Proud to see the TEAM-BHP on the plates

Good to see Suzuki pulling their socks and gearing up to take i10.
Looks are always subjective

Positives
A new model - no cosmetic changes
A new petrol engine
Diesel in a small hatch

Negatives
Dead Pedal, Boot opener - Must have
Skinny Tyres in lower end - Wake up Suzuki , you are dealing with Premium market
Suspension - Wagon R was more comfortable than Santro ( My Dad has a Santro & FIL has a Wagon R)
Old 13th May 2009, 21:34   #173
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
Skinny Tyres in lower end - Wake up Suzuki , you are dealing with Premium market
I don't really understand! So many complaining about the tyres!

It's a small hatchback here to take on i10, and its got a decent engine. But that doesn't make it a performance oriented car.

Tyres is the easiest thing to upgrade, so if the lower model uses 165s, I don't see a problem.

Ask the masses out there who drive the swift, how many have problems with swift's handling that they need tyre upgrade.

I think its a very user specific thing and not everyone needs fat low profile tyres.

And what does i10 come with? 205?

Baleno running 165s was another thing! Though it still worked for most!
Old 13th May 2009, 21:36   #174
Senior - BHPian

How does this actually compare with the Vista? Swift DDIS is probably a dated comparison. I like Vista, like many other folks

The petrol should be min 8% cheaper than Swift but the DDIS wouldnt. So its interesting to see how/where they price it. My bet would be just a tad lower on the DDIS.

GTO - This is the best pictorial review for an Indian car yet!! Thank you!
Old 13th May 2009, 21:50   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Baleno running 165s was another thing! Though it still worked for most!
True. Worked for me. Actually it still is working for me @ 30000 kms. But when these footwear wear out, am going for an upgrade.

So, basically it is about what your usage is. If you are a sedate driver, what you have as stock is fine. But if you wanna throw the car around at curves or need better handling, upgrade. As simple as that.
Old 13th May 2009, 23:31   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
How does this actually compare with the Vista? Swift DDIS is probably a dated comparison. I like Vista, like many other folks
Amen!
Two cars that will probably end almost head-to-head on price, and the diesel models have similar "roomy diesel family hatch" positioning. A detailed direct comparison will be a best seller!

For petrolheads, i10 Vs Ritz may be a more apt comparison, though Autocar gave Vista Safire a close second to i10 in a recent comparison of petrol small cars.
Old 14th May 2009, 01:05   #177
Senior - BHPian

This whole thing about A/T vehices consuming more fuel is a misconception. The difference, if any is marginal.

6 speed or the Lexu's 11 Speed A/Ts are not required here. A simple A/T with 3 speeds and an overdrive are enough. It can have an O/D off mode for highway overtaking, and a programmable chip for economy or sports mode.

Price of A/T cars too versus the manual are fast coming down. A closer analysis would reveal that there is hardly any difference at all.

A/T appears to be higher priced because because along with it there may be extra gizmos like power windows, alloy wheels, keyless entry, leather seats, wiper intermittent timer, premier audio system, security alarm, better tyres, metallic paint etc. etc.

Basic model A/T for all lower end cars like the Toyota Corolla, Yaris, Nissan Sunny, Volkswagon Polo, Mazda 3 are just a few thousand, more like 20,000 Indian rupees these days compared to a very slow selling M/T variant in most international markets now.

Gurgaon roads - depends on how you see it, glass half full or glass half empty. I am yet to see a road like NH8 anywhere in India.

On a comparision, my Bolero SLX used to average 10 km/pl in Patna, Bihar and here in Gurgaon its 15 km/pl. Obviously its a huge difference!
Old 14th May 2009, 01:07   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
GTO,
Thanks a lot for an unbiased review on the Ritz.
Proud to see the TEAM-BHP on the plates
I guess GTO has not only given a good review of the Ritz. Hes got an exceptional job done on the Plates as well.

Any more such reviews planned?
Old 14th May 2009, 01:15   #179
Senior - BHPian

Any more reviews planned ?

Well there is plenty in store.

Honda Jazz - A hatchback Honda City essentially, originally made in Thailand but now made in India too is all set to be launched.

An interesting release is Toyota Fortuner in June which will compete with the Mitsubishi Pajero / Shogun and the Ford Endevour. I have driven it in the desert, both the 2.7 4 cyl and 4 litre V6 versions, and they are good.

This vehicle is an interesting development from Toyota, where a trio of vehicles, the Innova, Fortuner and the Hi Lux pick up both 2WD and 4WD are built on the same chassis platform on the same assembly lines. Assembly lines for these vehicles are already there in Japan, USA and Australia, may be some other countries too and now India for Innova + Fortuner.

In India it will come with a 3000 cc Diesel.

Last edited by desertfox : 14th May 2009 at 01:18.
Old 14th May 2009, 07:24   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

An interesting release is Toyota Fortuner in June which will compete with the Mitsubishi Pajero / Shogun and the Ford Endevour.
sorry for OT, Fortuner is coming in Sept.

What is source for 3000 cc for fortuner for India ?

Last edited by tanwaramit : 14th May 2009 at 07:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks