Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 10:38   #361
BHPian

amazing fifth gear test. diesel gives less milleage someone explain it. should one go for diesel or petrol?
Old 24th May 2009, 10:59   #362
Senior - BHPian

I had predicted one thing here,Petrol ritz would be a much sought after model.This car is so sweet and just watch the rpm meter climbing all the way to 5000 rpm!And all this without much fuss.Power and mileage together is what all would dream of and you have it here in one single pack.I would definetly save 1 lac and go for the petrol one for the engine.Ritz petrol would outsell the swift petrol,or for that matter any model which comes in petrol and diesel avatars.
ram
Old 25th May 2009, 10:40   #363
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
How does it compare to the Wagon R?
No comparison. Except for both of them being tall, there is simply nothing in common. The Ritz is a massive step ahead of the WagonR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Does the Ritz come with the same engines in Europe.
The petrol is unique to India, purpose being to put it under the 1.2 liter limit for tax benefits.

Quote:
I am askin this cause i saw a review of the splash between diesel and petrol where Jeremy compared the FE of both the engines where Petrol car had a better FE as compared to Diesel.
Jeremy's a great orator and one of the better entertainers on television. However, I don't trust his car reviews. The diesel will, in all certainty, be far more fuel efficient than the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I had predicted one thing here,Petrol ritz would be a much sought after model.
The petrol is sweet. After the Baleno's engine, this is the first world-class petrol from Maruti. However, the Fiat JTD is a brilliant small diesel and will garner a majority of the sales.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:40   #364
BHPian

+1 to that!
diesel being subsidised in India it is cheaper than petrol.
So the test should not hold great meaning here in India
Also it feels nice to pay around Rs.10/ltr less everytime you tank up your car.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:45   #365
BHPian

Update: The dealer called me on Saturday - says my car will be ready to pick up on Wednesday. Await first drive reports...
Old 25th May 2009, 14:20   #366
BHPian

GTO... I don't think that the engines are different for europe and India. It was test by fifth gear and i have posted the you tube link of the same on the last page where he mentions that petrol is a 1.2 and diesel being 1.3. Hence in all probability they would be the same engines. Do check the review out. I am sure you will have a differnt opinion then.
Old 25th May 2009, 15:35   #367
Senior - BHPian

@Switch - The Ritz Petrol is 1197 CC (Check Here) while the Splash petrol is 1242 CC(Check Here)
Old 25th May 2009, 19:47   #368
BHPian

Probably Ritz is a good option in terms of performance. But I guess the looks are not that appealing, though it is very subjective. MUL has come a long way as far as products are concerned. But I feel they don't really have distinct product positioning. 800/Alto/Omni/A-star/Wagon-R/Ritz/swift/Dzire/Baleno/SX4/vitara. I guess I got it right, but not too sure though. Here if you see few of their models are eating up others market share for sure. If I am concerned, their product positioning is not that great. Now with Ritz launch, I am sure their Ritz fully loaded version will eat up swift base versions if not other variants.
Old 25th May 2009, 21:00   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
The door trims are again of very poor quality, just a light pull at the corners had them coming out!
  • The paint job is also not upto the level, the area aroung the skirting of the car was worst affected
  • The lower part of the grill (the air dam) below the no plate is of very poor plastic quality even a gentle push had it bending inside
  • The plastics used in the dashboard are hard , scratchy
  • I was surprised to see that there is not much storage space in the dashboard, which is very 'non' maruti, even the glove box when opened, hits the legs of the co passenger!
  • You seem to take great pains to point out things that are acceptable in this price bracket.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:30   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You seem to take great pains to point out things that are acceptable in this price bracket.[/list]
The car that I have seen was Ritz ZXi which is 4.8 lacs ex showroom Delhi.
The price bracket for Ritz goes from 3.9 lacs to 5.17 lacs including the diesel.
The other cars that overlap this bracket include the Swift, UVA, i20, Dzire, Fiat Palio, Ikon (petrol and diesel), Indica Vista, Skoda Fabia.
These are worthy competitors to the Ritz in terms of the pricing, and many of them exude quality.
"Acceptability" towards quality is a compromise, thus.
If however, people are OK with spending app 5 lac rupees and getting such quality,
Old 27th May 2009, 12:52   #371
BHPian

Ritz: Very practical....

Even I took a test drive of Ritz diesel few days ago.

In short, due to effortless driveability in stand and crawl traffic, its a good city car which will accommodate tall persons easily, and will not disappoint on highways either, unless you take it to the extremes. In the aesthetics department, the external design is radical and looks good from front and side, although I didn't like the rear view, but it differs from individual to individual.

City Drive: With a good torque, you have far lesser gear shifts and the drive in stop and go traffic is much easier, although the turbo lag is something which may need getting used to. A good amount of turbo lag is noticed at lower gears. The turbo gets engaged around 2500rpm and if you are in 2nd gear or so, the increase in the power you feel is substantial and the vehicle just jumps as if the signals have just turned green. If unaware, might end up hitting the one ahead of you. A/c is pretty strong and has no effect on the pick up. Important thing to notice is if you set your blower to windscreen mode, apart from being blown on the windscreen, side ducts will also be active, but not the center ducts on the dash. Inspite of being diesel, gear shift is also very smooth, and the lever is integrated to the dash board. Neither the clutch nor the gears made me feel, she was a diesel, however as you rev her up a bit (even 2000rpm), engine noise starts emanating into the cabin. I felt, Swift was more effective in insulating engine noise. [Note: both have same diesel engine.] Ride quality was firm, and was effective in absorbing most of the pot holes, but could have been better. Cabin is roomier and can easily accommodate pretty tall people both in the front and rear at the same time.

Highway Drive: With spirited driving, she responded very eagerly, and it felt as if, she was getting bored with the snail paced city driving. The turbo lag was not very pronounced at higher gears, and I could easily touch 140 kmph with A/c on. Later I tried pushing the needle further and succeeded in touching 160 kmph, but she was a bit sluggish. Also she got slightly nervous after 145kmph. Overall the drive was confidence inspiring, and you would have reached 3 - digit speeds much before you realized. On the braking front, I tried pretty hard breaking at 120kmph, and was a tad disappointed. She skid lightly and also the rear end was jutting out a bit [ This was a non ABS version. ]. Considering a tall boy design, may be its ok. Other than that, it was not that hard to get her down to city speed limits from 3-digits speeds. Due to the stiff suspension handling was impressive, however ride quality was a bit firm.
Old 27th May 2009, 15:38   #372

Had a look at the Suzuki Ritz last evening here in Chennai. Unfortunately was not able to take a TD of the same. Apparently they have not yet been given the cars registered by the RTO here as yet and therefore are unable to ply the cars on the road. Will be going again on the saturday for the test drive.

The sales rep informed me that a couple of cars; the first batch was available immideately. However there were a very few options left in the petrol version, followed by Ldi and Vdi. Vdi i was told has the least takers atleast here in Chennai.
Old 29th May 2009, 14:37   #373

Ritz or Rips

Good review. Makes a whole lot of sense to get this one. Barring the minuses of the vehicle, i guess it would make a good city vehicle. I pity the recent Swift owners. They must be banging their head but in VAIN.

But the last word: Ritz is no comparison to i10 or i20. they are far ahead of ritz in terms or driving dynamics as well as asthetics.
Old 29th May 2009, 15:11   #374
BHPian

Having bought a Swift VDi about a month back i believe i made a correct decision going for it knowing Splash/Ritz on the way to release. Before seeing the car in person i already knew that i don't want a RPM meter on my dash and my gear shift on my console. Engine wise both are same so hardly matters. If one compares the exterior looks then i am sure Swift scores over Ritz. Also i am not a big fan of Tall Boy designed cars.

But then again its just me. Don't know what others think
Old 29th May 2009, 15:35   #375
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankarcv View Post
Good review. Makes a whole lot of sense to get this one. Barring the minuses of the vehicle, i guess it would make a good city vehicle. I pity the recent Swift owners. They must be banging their head but in VAIN.

But the last word: Ritz is no comparison to i10 or i20. they are far ahead of ritz in terms or driving dynamics as well as asthetics.
So you mean Swift < Ritz < i10 < i20 ? Then I'm sure you don't know what a 'Swift' is, but just another 'H' praiser.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th May 2009 at 15:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks