Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:20   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMGee View Post
Hello Friends,

I got a Blue Blaze Vdi yesterday, fairly excited about it. My first diesel ever, and a Maruti product after 11 years! I'll be posting my initial review and some pics (hopefully) soon.

Cheers!
Congrats and have a great ride!
Kindly post some pics
I am too booking a Ritz but confused between the colours, all of them are looking good esp green and blue.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:03   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Congrats and have a great ride!
Kindly post some pics
I am too booking a Ritz but confused between the colours, all of them are looking good esp green and blue.
Thanks for your wishes Blwetorch and Nikhil_d1106. Apologies, I haven't been able to post a review yet, but managed to click a few pictures over the weekend and posting those here. Not the best quality, but should still give you a good view of the color.

Nikhil_d1106 - I chose Blue, as I like the Blue color in general, saw it to be nice in pictures etc. (I hadn't seen the color in person on the Ritz) and thought that it would match well with the Blue interiors (which turned out to be true). Which version are you planning to book?

All, I'll try and send in some observations from my initial drives soon! Overall, quite happy with the decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-img_1736.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-img_1737.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-img_1738_1.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-img_1739.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-img_1740.jpg  

Old 8th July 2009, 10:55   #438

My Ritz VDi Review

All,

So, I finally managed to sit down and write my review of the Ritz VDi that I bought 3 weeks ago. A few things to keep in mind when you go through this review:
- I am a first time Diesel car user
- I haven't driven the Swift Diesel ever
- The other car I had was a (manual steering) Santro
- The other car that I still have is a Civic 1.8S MT

So, obviously, keeping the above in mind, some of the review points might not make sense to people when comparing with other cars in the same category. Nevertheless, let me get going now with the review.

What I liked...
1. The car has fresh looks (never mind how the rear looks, I am sure most people will get used to it) and gives a fresh feel inside as well as driving
2. Quite spacious comaring it in the mid-segment hatches, definitely feels more spacious than a Swift. The view from the front is quite good and gives the feel of a big car - thanks to the high seating, long and wide dash, good view of the road. The interiors are also of decent quality (happy with the quality vis-a-vis money paid for the car).
3. Seating is comfortable, I wouldn't say extremely comfortable, but definitely good. Especially, the rear seats are high, so give a very good support to the back. The leg room in the back seat is decent, even with a 5ft 10in driver in the front seat.
4. Very responsive engine (here I might be comparing against petrols), it's fun to see it zooming past on traffic signals or quick overtaking. Trying to get used to the power of a diesel and enjoying it thoroughly!
5. Responsive steering - I find it rightly balanced, neither too light nor too stiff. Especially for people who'll be doing a lot of city driving, it should be fairly easy to manuevour the car around.
6. Very powerful aircon - have been using it in the peak of Delhi heat, and the aircon would cool the car very quickly (in about 5 minutes or less) even when coming back to the car after a few hours in the sun. I don't recall having used the aircon at the max speed for longer than 5 minutes per run.
7. Several cubby holes in the car to place small items. I especially liked the detachable ash-tray, which can become a nice mobile holder when the ash-tray is taken out (good for non-smokers).
8. Fairly decent boot space. It definitely seems bigger than a Santro / Wagon R (not sure if I should be comparing against these).
9. I can get a 40 lt tank full done in less than 1200 rupees!

What I didn't like...
1. Biggest nag that I could find is the play in the gear-shift in the 3rd gear. I don't know if other Swift / Ritz Diesel owners have experienced this or not, but in the 3rd gear, whenever you either move your foot away from the accelerator, or put it back, the gear-shift moves, almost by a centimeter each time (moves back when accelarating and moves ahead when you move the foot away). It's especially annoying when you're in slow traffic (and tend to drive more in the 3rd gear) and your hand is placed on the gear-knob and it keeps moving back & forth. I got this checked at the 1st free service, the guys couldn't do any thing. The AGM mentioned that this is a "characteristic" of a diesel vehicle, not necessarily an issue and claimed at least all Ritz diesels have this "characteristic".
2. Reversing is a bit of a nightmare, the view is quite obstructed and it's hard to make out much while reversing. Will need time to get adjusted to this maybe.
3. The rear door design is quite odd - let me try and explain this in detail. Basically, if you look at the cut of the door, it's at an angle, which is protuding towards the top and reducing towards the bottom. Typically, you expect doors to be the other way round (or in a straight line, isn't it?). So, when one is standing close to the door and opens it, suddenly the protuding top almost hits your face. Not that it's hit ever, but seems like that and as a reaction, you tend to jerk back! So, still getting used to this. (One of the pictures in the previous post should show this clearly).
4. Engine noise (and again, I am a first time diesel user, ok?!) - I find it to be a bit high, especially when accelerating. Would ideally have liked it to be lesser - I've been told by a couple of people, that this tends to go down when the car's run in a bit, so hoping for this to go down. Also, still don’t have ICE installed - with that, hopefully some of the noise will be less audible anyways.
5. A bit of sway when cutting sharp corners or even switching lanes at high speeds. I guess that's expected with a tall-boy design, but is still something I am still getting used to.
6. I am not fully satisfied with the braking of the car. It could be that I am more used to the brakes in the Civic, but still if I recall my Santro, I thought the brakes were more responsive in that. Could it be that a diesel being heavier has more momentum, hence takes longer to stop?
7. Rear bottle holders would have been a huge help, especially if you're travelling with kids etc.
8. Minor one, but the clock is within the speedometer console. It's fine for the driver, but if it were in the middle of the dash (like the Swift), it's more useful as others in the car can also see it.

Overall, very happy so far with the purchase and enjoying my first Diesel baby. The good thing was that both my mom and wife hadn't seen a Ritz in flesh, before mine got home - and both the ladies approved of the car hands-down.

For the record, I got the 1st free service done - engine oil was changed and costed Rs. 673 (incl. taxes). The FE, although not calculated properly yet, seems to be in the range of 14 - 16 kmpl, with a mix of city and highway driving.

Cheers!

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th July 2009 at 11:28. Reason: [Font] Tags, please use preview before submitting posts. Thanks
Old 8th July 2009, 14:08   #439
GTO
Team-BHP Support

EmGee, Thanks for sharing. Have copied your posts to a dedicated thread here.
Old 10th July 2009, 00:13   #440
BHPian

@gto

How do you compare the Ritx Vxi (P) to A-star Vxi on drivability, highway (upto 120kmph ) , features and build quality. (Lets forget the boot for now). It's only 45k difference in invoice pricing.
Old 10th July 2009, 10:56   #441
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Based on the engine alone, the Ritz is WAY superior to the A-Star. That 1.2L petrol of the Ritz is a true all rounder, is refined and has good driveability. The A-stars engine has one cylinder less, not the best refinement and suffers from poor driveability in the city.
Old 10th July 2009, 11:14   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
How do you compare the Ritx Vxi (P) to A-star Vxi on drivability, highway (upto 120kmph ) , features and build quality. (Lets forget the boot for now). It's only 45k difference in invoice pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Based on the engine alone, the Ritz is WAY superior to the A-Star. That 1.2L petrol of the Ritz is a true all rounder, is refined and has good driveability. The A-stars engine has one cylinder less, not the best refinement and suffers from poor driveability in the city.
The Ritz and A-Star both have the K-Series engines. However if the Ritz just had 1 cylinder more than the A-Star it would have been a 1.3. Therefore the Ritz must be having a different bore and stroke than the A-Star. This would make the engine quite different and would also have very different performance characteristics. Despite being in different segments, I prefer the A-Star for it's looks over the Ritz. However the sales of the A-Star have been bad thanks to the rear seat, boot and FE. If these 3 things are not a concern then it's a nice car. Regarding the Ritz engine, there's no long term data, specially the FE. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:23   #443
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
However if the Ritz just had 1 cylinder more than the A-Star it would have been a 1.3.
One cannot deny the advantage of the additional cylinder, especially in refinement.

Quote:
Therefore the Ritz must be having a different bore and stroke than the A-Star. This would make the engine quite different and would also have very different performance characteristics.
Truly. While the A-Star may be a little more fuel-efficient, the Ritz is more refined and is far superior within the city.

Quote:
However the sales of the A-Star have been bad
Actually, the A-Star has done above average in local sales, and exceedingly well in exports.

Quote:
Regarding the Ritz engine, there's no long term data, specially the FE. We'll have to wait and see.
There is sufficient data available to arrive at a safe prediction:

1. ARAI figures (relative to the Jazz and the Punto).

2. Physics : Going by the weight, driveability, size and power.

3. You don't need to revv the engine to get it moving (like the Swift for instance). She can do perfectly well with low revvs as well, a factor that aids fuel effciency.

4. Our drive which did give an indication of the fuel efficiency. I haven't quoted them since, as you said, longer term data is more accurate.

5. ACI's road test figures.
Old 10th July 2009, 23:44   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One cannot deny the advantage of the additional cylinder, especially in refinement.
Truly. While the A-Star may be a little more fuel-efficient, the Ritz is more refined and is far superior within the city.
A 3 cylinder engine is never perfectly balanced and there's always some harshness. (800, Alto, Fabia).

Quote:
Actually, the A-Star has done above average in local sales, and exceedingly well in exports.
The export figures are good since it's sold as the Alto and has replaced the old Alto (Alto for us). However in India the Alto is still sold and is selling pretty well.

Quote:

There is sufficient data available to arrive at a safe prediction:

1. ARAI figures (relative to the Jazz and the Punto).

2. Physics : Going by the weight, driveability, size and power.

3. You don't need to revv the engine to get it moving (like the Swift for instance). She can do perfectly well with low revvs as well, a factor that aids fuel effciency.

4. Our drive which did give an indication of the fuel efficiency. I haven't quoted them since, as you said, longer term data is more accurate.

5. ACI's road test figures.
Agreed but that was the case with the A-Star too. On paper it had everything to deliver decent performance and milege too. Though it has delivered on the performance front, FE has not been as good as expected/claimed. The old engine of the Alto is still more fuel efficient than the A-Star. I was seriously considering the A-Star over the Alto for my wife but after reading the BSM long term car milege figures (10Kmpl), decided not to take the risk. Thus regarding the Ritz (not considering buying it), I would like to wait and watch before coming to any conclusions. Some TBHPians has already bought it, so let's see what they say.
Old 11th July 2009, 20:36   #445
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Though it has delivered on the performance front, FE has not been as good as expected/claimed.
Ownership reviews would beg to differ. The A-Star returns an average of 12.5 kpl in an urban driving cycle (Bbay, Delhi etc.). That is very respectable and amongst the best from hatchbacks (on our ownership review tables).

Quote:
The old engine of the Alto is still more fuel efficient than the A-Star.
The Alto is lighter, smaller and powered by a smaller capacity engine. It's only logical that the Alto will be more fuel efficient.
Old 19th July 2009, 20:27   #446
BHPian

Quote:
I drive the A-star, and it quit easy to drive in city.

Ritz vs Astar
I saw a Ritz zxi with 15 inch alloys in the showroom. Build: The build quality(steel used) was way better than average. On the contrary, my Astar has a flimsy build. Even hitting a parked bike at 10 kmph created a 5 inch deep dent in the bumper of my car. Mileage: Astar wins here, no doubt about it. Driver comfort: again Astar wins.

Ritz vs Swift.
Just looking at the seat design in Ritz will tell that its a generation newer than Swift. Ritz has supportive seats, while swift seats are very basic.

In my opinion, Ritz looks like one of those modern japanese boom boxes. The looks will soon grow into us.

Edit: Also I feel there is a big profit margin in A-star, but very little in Ritz. So Ritz is very competitevely priced.

Last edited by ritz830 : 19th July 2009 at 20:29.
Old 19th July 2009, 22:58   #447
BHPian

Ritz...!!!

After I posted the q to GTO, went ahead and took test drive of both Ritz and A-Star. Herez some data for folks in ~ 4 lacs bracket.

Starting alphabetically...

A-Star
- Awesome zip-zap-zoom driving capability in city, I throughouly enjoyed it on the ORR.
- Was very strained at ~90kmph** (see **)
- lovely low seats, racing position kind.
- howly cow- engine grunt/noise even with music turned on **(see **)
- I will not talk about the bootspace, lets folks decide upon their needs (I doesn't meet mine... no space for the jackfruit while returning from drive to native)
-A star pulls!!! (we were 4 adults during test drive)

Ritz
- Super silent.
- Has way better low end torgue than swift (p),
- Completely different seating, cannot zip-zap-zoom like the A-star.
- can clearly feel the higher segment-ness in the car.
- Its a pleasure in stop & go crawling traffic unlike the Swift (p), can pull without being revved -- With 3 folks on board, we can stay at 1400-1800rpm can crawl along with the traffic, the engine responds to the feater touch on the accelerator. To experience this, take a dest drive between 6pm to 8pm on ORR and hit the sarjapur junction (flyover construction)
- Shows up the tall boy design, but that conciousness creeps in after zip-zap-zoomiing in swift, A-star or 800.

** the test drive A-Star at Pratham motors has met with accident.
and they kept on telling me all the noise is because of the accident. folks intend to test drive A-star, try from other dealers in B'lore.

Am sure others too, who want to go with Maruti, at ~4lacs budget will stretch to accomodate the Ritz.

BLR Test drive tracks: City driving
---------------------
1. Morning hrs: Go along JC rd->market->turnaround->lalbhag rd->4th block etc
2. After noon: reserevd for speed testing
3. Evenings: JC road->market->turnaround->lalbhag rd->4th block

Highway: I guess ORR (look out for speed radars)
NIC
BG, Kanakapura rds.

Uneven rd testing:/bumpy, broken patches.
---------------------------------------------
1. The inner ring road towards devegowda petrol bunk,
2. UB towers rd
3. Some of the servcie roads on ORR

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 19th July 2009 at 23:07. Reason: more data
Old 19th July 2009, 23:30   #448
BHPian

guys i am telling you this car is a HIT . i don't have things like sales figures. but i just saw
yesterday a silver Ritz ,i thougth hmmm looks good it was a vxi
then out of the blue today i saw in total 8 different Ritz in various models in 3 hours.(yes i am sure they were not the same cars because was roaming around to city for shopping stuff )

the diesel are VDIs mostly and petrol's are the ZXIs people are going for the fully loaded . among the 8 Ritz i saw 2 were of bakers chocolate. 3-4 white. one in racing green. and one in blue. this car is growing on people. i am talking about the shape.

so if you are confused weather to go for it or not. just go for it. you wont repent.

people are going for the bakers chocolate colour. such a yummy and sexy color. then its blue.
Grey and silver look good too. whites are mostly preferred by diesel owners.

Last edited by Caramelo : 19th July 2009 at 23:39.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:58   #449
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
guys i am telling you this car is a HIT

Its only a matter of time when this will break the records set by the Altos. The cars a Kill and at a great price too. The petrol ZXI is a master piece.

The rear shape which most people dislike is the greatest assest of the car. The damn thing sticks to the ground like S**t at speed over 100 km and the credit goes to the rear end. To me its not only beautiful but also dutiful.

The ABS is another marvel on the car with its feather touch brilliance. The car stops without any jerks or skids even when you ram the brakes at high speeds on wet roads. The Braking is equally good on the reverse gear as well.

Overall, I feel that this is the ultimate car for the Indian roads. The Seat height and the ground clearance gives the feel and the stability of an SUV. I think this car can take a lot of abuse without pinching the Pocket.

God bless.....
Old 18th August 2009, 14:12   #450
BHPian

just dropped in at sah and sanghi a couple of hours ago as I sold my accent and looking at options. Keeping parents in mind as they would prefer a tall boy so that getting in and out is very easy. (after long drives in the accent dad used to find it tough getting out and I had to help him out)

Test drove the ritz and the a-star.

Ritz
First thing I did was checked the leg space and was amazed. I am 5' 8" and adjusted the front passenger seat accordingly. Then went at the back and was impressed. Another thing I observed was the build quality. Opening and closing doors felt better than older maruti models.

Took over the wheel, started the car, put it in first , got it moving and was amazed again. The amount of torque was impressive and the ride quality was amazing. Asked the sales guy about the mileage in traffic conditions and he said 12 - 14 kmpl. Although I think even 11 is good for a car like this which is fun to drive. Would love to get the feedback from members who have bought this car. The gear shifts and maneuverability just reminded me of my Esteem, of course this was much more refined.

A Star
Lower seating, crammed but a lot better than the Alto. Its just the perfect city car with a peppy engine but cant buy that because of less space. Too uncomfortable for long drives and for my parents.City driving mileage is claimed to be 15 kmpl! But again members who have bought this car need to give some feedback on this.

Overall the Ritz is a complete package and just too impressive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks