Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:41   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I have a Ritz-Zxi and usually try to drive safe. A couple of weeks back, ripped it a bit at 140 kmph on BLR-airport road. I recollect a smell of burning rubber. Since the windows were closed, I'm a little bit worried about where the source of smell could be. Any comments?
When you say burning rubber smell, it has to be the smell of burning clutch.

Btw, I guess you were redlining your car to reach 140 kmph.

EDIT : I don't own a Maruit Ritz and I'm yet to drive a Maruti Ritz

Last edited by Klub Class : 3rd January 2011 at 17:51.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:45   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This could be an OT question, but, hoping it will get some attention from fellow Ritz-owners:

I have a Ritz-Zxi and usually try to drive safe. A couple of weeks back, ripped it a bit at 140 kmph on BLR-airport road. I recollect a smell of burning rubber. Since the windows were closed, I'm a little bit worried about where the source of smell could be. Any comments?

The 140 kmph madness didn't last long: I got a speeding ticket and became poorer by Rs. 700.

Thanks,
Su-47

I am not a Ritz owner, but the chances are that you are riding your clutch! Try and keep your left foot off the clutch when you are ripping your baby
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:58   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
When you say burning rubber smell, it has to be the smell of burning clutch.

Btw, I guess you were redlining your car to reach 140 kmph.
Perhaps you are right about redlining, as I was in a hurry to get past some nasty traffic (but didn't hear the rev-limiter cut in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I am not a Ritz owner, but the chances are that you are riding your clutch! Try and keep your left foot off the clutch when you are ripping your baby
I'm pretty sure I wasn't riding the clutch.

So, here is the question, can redlining by itself (i.e. without riding the clutch) can cause this burning smell? Could it be the AC clutch? Or, something else?

Thanks for your comments guys!

Quote:
EDIT : I don't own a Maruit Ritz and I'm yet to drive a Maruti Ritz
EDIT: Give it a try just for the sake of engine. It's quite nice for a 1.2L

Last edited by Su-47 : 3rd January 2011 at 18:02. Reason: Responding to Klub-Class's edit.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:08   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I wasn't riding the clutch.

So, here is the question, can redlining by itself (i.e. without riding the clutch) can cause this burning smell? Could it be the AC clutch? Or, something else?

No it should not smell if you redline it, but since I am not too sure how much bad the smell was, one cannot comment. So if you could tell if there were fumes or if the smell was too pungent as if it was engulfing the cabin or something?

Another reason I could think of could be a/c not in recirculation mode, if it is then, may be other Ritz owners should be able to help.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:15   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've no knowledge on the same. My bad

Quote:
EDIT: Give it a try just for the sake of engine. It's quite nice for a 1.2L
For your info, I'm only 15. I will surely drive a Maruti Ritz 1.2L after getting my driving license.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:16   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
No it should not smell if you redline it, but since I am not too sure how much bad the smell was, one cannot comment. So if you could tell if there were fumes or if the smell was too pungent as if it was engulfing the cabin or something?

Another reason I could think of could be a/c not in recirculation mode, if it is then, may be other Ritz owners should be able to help.
It was a pretty mild smell. Others in the car didn't even notice it.

Don't remember whether the AC was in recirculate or fresh air mode.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:19   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a pretty mild smell. Others in the car didn't even notice it.

Don't remember whether the AC was in recirculate or fresh air mode.
So may be, that was because the AC was in Fresh air mode. The fresh air mode is a misnomer because it actually sucks air from engine bay making the air anything but fresh.

Since you are saying it is mild smell then I suspect above. So nothing to worry
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:39   #578
BHPian

Another question -
Is the integrated audio the same as swifts? The reason Im asking this is because they look similar, but the one with swift also has a remote (I believe). Also, they both dont have a usb input but when I went to marutis showroom, they had a swift vxi or vdi with sports kit and decals and the integrated audio system on display, but that audio system had a usb port!
Also, I was told that vxi doesnt come with the integrated system but this is just a display model, and I was also told that Ritz CAN come with CLIMATE CONTROL if I want!!??

I think that the integrated system on the swift may be a new type which now comes with a usb port, and they also told me that I can get bluetooth connectivity with a certain BT adapter they can provide me with!?

If this is all true, then I'd just buy the Ritz ZXI as its only downsides (to me) are no BT and ACC.
But they only mentioned the BT thingy for swift and I didnt ask if its applicable for the Ritz

Guys please shed some light!
thanks

EDIT: this is the link to ritz accessories brochure - http://www.marutisuzukiritz.com/pdfs...I-Ritz-Low.pdf

It DOES NOT have BT or ACC as an accessory unlike the swifts' in which it mentions a BT adapter!
And, no sports kit for the ritz on the brochure?? I was told in the Show room that the sports kit (which was on the display model of swift) costs approx 22k and can be fitted on ANY car, is this true?

Thanks

Last edited by theoriginal9321 : 3rd January 2011 at 20:44. Reason: To provide more info.
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:02   #579
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Vdi and I get that smell when driven past 140-145km/h. I used to think it was something to do with the diesel engine suddenly warming up but looks like its in petrol too!

Though I don't think its something to be bothered about, as it only comes once, probably when the engine heats up the coolant (not over heat) and after a few seconds there is no more smell.

My AC is always recirculating and foot is away from the clutch.

I suspect it is something to do with the coolant in the heater coil which is inside the cabin and very hot when driving at those speeds (try using the heater!)

Doesn't really bother - mild smell for 3-5 seconds.
Old 3rd January 2011, 22:51   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I have a Vdi and I get that smell when driven past 140-145km/h. I used to think it was something to do with the diesel engine suddenly warming up but looks like its in petrol too!
Doesn't really bother - mild smell for 3-5 seconds.
Interesting, that you had also experienced this. For me, by the time a few seconds passed, I was flagged down for a speeding ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
Another question -
Is the integrated audio the same as swifts?
I was also told that Ritz CAN come with CLIMATE CONTROL if I want!!??
If this is all true, then I'd just buy the Ritz ZXI as its only downsides (to me) are no BT and ACC.
But they only mentioned the BT thingy for swift and I didnt ask if its
1. The Ritz-ZXi HU also comes with remote.
2. The biggest reason because of which people live with the limited capability OEM-HU is steering mounted controls. It appears that there are adapters that can make the steering mounted controls to work with better HUs, but, that may not be easy task. And, people on the forum advised against opening the steering as it houses the airbags as well.
3. Fitting ACC could be an overconfident dealer-jugaad-based promise to make a sale. My recommendation would be to stay away from it.
4. If you need BT for phone calls, take a look at Jabra Cruiser. I have one, and it is seriously kick-*** as far as call quality is concerned. The quality of music streaming is pretty sad though.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:29   #581
BHPian

^^thanks, by the tone of your post it sounds the HU is pretty bad, is it so?
I might get the HU "replaced" (exchanging the HU with the dealer, if thats possible) to get this
JVC Stereo (KW-XG706)
Its listed on the accessories brochure which I have given a link to, its big and is in the shape of the HU, not one of those "slim" ones, and JVC also provides with this little steering remote thing, the only hitch(s) is/are - Im not sure if the dealer would have the particular stereo in stock, dont know if exchanging the HU is possible, and will have extra buttons (of the HU) on the steering of no use!!! But the lesser informed people/friends would probably think those buttons are still functional and would make it look "cool"

BTW, does anyone else have the answer to the other query (sports kit)??

Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 00:19   #582
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
^^thanks, by the tone of your post it sounds the HU is pretty bad, is it so?
The HU is ok! it works. The problem is the door speaker installations.

The HU has a pre-out, so basically you can install an amp with it and use better speakers and sub-woofers. The HU is a Nippon unit with undocumented wattage! (I have the user manual)

The good part is the integrated look, and it reads 'welcome' when switched on
Old 4th January 2011, 00:40   #583
BHPian

^^ so can the speakers be "exchanged" or would I have to pay the whole price if I upgrade speakers from the dealer? And I heard that the hu is compatible with cd changer and a hands free kit, is that the BT thingy? if yes then do the dealers have it ?
Thanks
And yes I also quite like the integrated look!!
Old 4th January 2011, 10:54   #584
BHPian

@theoriginal9321:
The HU isn't too bad, but is limited capability if you want BT, USB or i-Pod connectivity. Why don't you ask the Maruti folks for a demo and then decide for yourself if you like the sound or not?

As far as the speaker exchange is concerned, I would be surprised if any dealer offers you anything in return for OEM speakers. Even if they do, it might be an "artificial exchange" to make you feel better, by jacking up the price of the other stuff you want to buy,
Old 4th January 2011, 19:34   #585
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A couple of weeks back, ripped it a bit at 140 kmph on BLR-airport road. I recollect a smell of burning rubber.
Could be your brakes (normal after heavy use).

Quote:
For your info, I'm only 15. I will surely drive a Maruti Ritz 1.2L after getting my driving license.
Klub Klass, I have to say this : You are EXTREMELY mature for your age (much more so that I was, for sure). Great to have you onboard.

Most Viewed