Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 13:42   #616
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilok View Post
Dear Headbanger,
Did ur issue with the window glass get resolved? I am facing the similar issue since last few weeks, same as initially it was givng a small jerk at around 80% down, now it giving a low sqeeke sound as if touching something. My Ritz ZXI is due for 3rd service in 3 months time.

Would help me a lot incase you can let me know if the issue was resolved by the MASS or you had it fixed outside.
Hi Trilok,

I am not exactly sure about the root cause. But in my case, the SA told me it was a loose nut in the window channel. However, I am not sure since the problem has resurfaced after 2 months.

My car's 3rd service is due, ODO reading around 8500km. I am hoping to get the service done in another 15 days or so. Will update you with the findings!!!

Thanks,
Manish
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 13:52   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeddeduser View Post
Hi All,

Please advise as Ritz is the ideal car for me other wise I will have to go for a car without ABS and Airbags :(

Thanks in advance.
Hi embeddeduser,

Our family has 3 Marutis in the garage - Zen Lx, Ritz Vxi and Swift DDiS Vdi.
Initially, the positioning of clutch in Ritz would be a concern if you have a smaller shoe size. It is placed high and the manner with which you operate the clutch will bother you for sometime. However, I feel that after few days and some hundred kms you will be at home with the clutch lever positioning.

If this factor bothers you too much, you can have a look at the Swift or an i10 also. Swift clutch lever is not pegged that high. Can't comment on i10 since I don't have an exhaustive experience on it. Probably misquitas can help on this count since he has done extensive research on i10.

Thanks,
Manish

Last edited by headbanger : 10th June 2011 at 13:53. Reason: Corrected the car model name
Old 10th June 2011, 14:05   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Our family has 3 Marutis in the garage - Zen Lx, Ritz Vxi and Swift DDiS Vdi.
Wow Manish, 3 of the best from Maruti under one roof

From your personal perspective, how would you compare the handling and ride comfort of the Ritz with the Swift on city roads ?
Old 10th June 2011, 17:06   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Took my Ritz for his first long drive last week..Bangalore to Kochi. With me was a cousin who was dead against Ritz and wanted me to buy i10. He owns one. At the end of the journey , he reluctantly agreed that Ritz was a much better overall performer .

Having driven both Ritz and i10, i can say in city i10 is better coz of is peppy behaviour. But on the highway Ritz is way much more matured. Ritz would be a better overall performer.
A very good choice Joe. Ritz is a better overall package than i10. Also, it gives a big car feel compared to i10.
Old 10th June 2011, 18:03   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Wow Manish, 3 of the best from Maruti under one roof

From your personal perspective, how would you compare the handling and ride comfort of the Ritz with the Swift on city roads ?
Thanks Mooza!!! Actually my in-laws have Swift Vdi. But since we are in the same city, I have a regular access to Swift.

Keeping in view the comparison, if I have to go in very narrow lanes or gullies, nothing can beat Zen. Excellent all round visbility means that you don't have to bother about scratching your car's body. To add to it, Zen gives us a whooping 16kmpl with AC on in city traffic.

However, if I were to compare Swift Vdi and Ritz Vxi, Ritz is a better car in city traffic because-

1. Ritz is petrol while Swift is diesel. The turbo lag will not aid city driving.
2. I feel that the front visbility while seated in driver's seat in Ritz is better than Swift. The driver's seat is perched higher and offers you better visbility vis a vis Swift.

Come the highways, Swift is the king. Even though Ritz is very composed as far as highway manners are concerned, cornering it at higher speeds is not favorable. I have driven Ritz consistently at 130 kmph-140kmph at NH1 and can vouch that its a very stable tall boy car. But Swift Vdi is purely driver's car.

Thanks,
Manish
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 21:20   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko View Post
A very good choice Joe. Ritz is a better overall package than i10. Also, it gives a big car feel compared to i10.
It depends on one's perception of the two cars. While it is true that the Ritz has a 'bigger' feel than the I10, there are many like myself who feel that the I10 has a 'better' feel than the Ritz.

When I last compared the two cars in December 2010, I got the impression that the Ritz LXI had a 'bigger' feel than the I10 in terms of a roomier cabin, the huge dashboard and the sheer size of the vehicle. But the Ritz LXI had no major feature other than the PS, AC and split rear seats.

However, while we did realize that the cabin space of the I10 was comparatively smaller, it had far superior interiors and the fit and finish was top notch. The provision of central locking, 4 power windows, tachometer, electrically operated side mirrors, D/N mirror, etc. on the I10 Magna was something that appealed to all of us, including my brother-in-law, who, incidentally, owns a Ritz.

During our comparison test, all 4 of us (wife, bro-in-law, his wife and myself) unanimously felt that the I10 VTVT Magna was a "better" package than the "bigger" feel of the Ritz LXI. In addition, the four of us also felt that the I10 had significantly less body roll than the Ritz especially on sharp turns, something that my wife had high on her mind.

In the end, we were more inclined towards a "fully furnished 2-bedroom flat" than an "empty 3-bedroom flat".

Look, as I said earlier, it depends on one's perception of the two cars. Many would prefer some aspects of one car, while others may be inclined to the different aspects of the other car.

Last edited by misquitas : 10th June 2011 at 21:34.
Old 10th June 2011, 22:47   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
It depends on one's perception of the two cars. While it is true that the Ritz has a 'bigger' feel than the I10, there are many like myself who feel that the I10 has a 'better' feel than the Ritz.

When I last compared the two cars in December 2010, I got the impression that the Ritz LXI had a 'bigger' feel than the I10 in terms of a roomier cabin, the huge dashboard and the sheer size of the vehicle. But the Ritz LXI had no major feature other than the PS, AC and split rear seats.

However, while we did realize that the cabin space of the I10 was comparatively smaller, it had far superior interiors and the fit and finish was top notch. The provision of central locking, 4 power windows, tachometer, electrically operated side mirrors, D/N mirror, etc. on the I10 Magna was something that appealed to all of us, including my brother-in-law, who, incidentally, owns a Ritz.

During our comparison test, all 4 of us (wife, bro-in-law, his wife and myself) unanimously felt that the I10 VTVT Magna was a "better" package than the "bigger" feel of the Ritz LXI. In addition, the four of us also felt that the I10 had significantly less body roll than the Ritz especially on sharp turns, something that my wife had high on her mind.

In the end, we were more inclined towards a "fully furnished 2-bedroom flat" than an "empty 3-bedroom flat".

Look, as I said earlier, it depends on one's perception of the two cars. Many would prefer some aspects of one car, while others may be inclined to the different aspects of the other car.
I completely agree that it depends on one's perception. Here are few of my observations:
1. Dashboard of Ritz is more practical compared to that of i10.
2. Original Tyre Specifications of Ritz are superior.
3. Gear shift is almost identical. (But Ritz is better in my opinion).
4. K series engine gives more mileage than Kappa. Though i10 has good on-paper average, none of my friend's i10 equals (consistently good) mileage of Ritz.
5. Interiors of i10 are class apart. No comparison here.
6. The number of features available in i10 are more. But, frankly, how many of these features are really necessary?
7. i10 Kappa Magna costs around 4.65 lakhs in Pune (on-road) while Ritz VXi costs 4. 68 lakhs (on-road). This makes Ritz a very attractive bargain.

So, what clinches it for Ritz is (slightly better & consistent) performance of the engine and effective costing.

And in the longer run, "empty 3-bedroom flat" gives higher returns than "fully furnished 2-bedroom flat"

But, if mileage and costs are not the great concerns, then i10 should be the obvious choice for its sheer (interior) beauty.

I would like to mention here that I, myself, am a great admirer of i10.
Old 11th June 2011, 11:50   #623
Senior - BHPian

We have both the Ritz (Vxi) and the i-10 (1.1 Magna) at home. Following is my personal experience :

For Ritz :

- The Ritz engine feels much more quiet.

- Sound insulation is much better in the Ritz. In case of the i-10, comparatively more sound of the engine / tranny / tyres gets into the cabin. Vibrations are felt if the engine speed drops even marginally below the recommended value for the particular gear.

- More cabin space in Ritz, as already discussed.

- More planted feel on highways

- Steering is effortless. The i-10 steering needs just that bit more effort.

For i-10

- The suspension is much more absorbent in the roll direction compared to Ritz, making it more comfortable on uneven city roads. The suspension of Ritz is a bit stiffer in the roll direction, resulting in a slightly bumpy feel on roads having irregularities in roll direction.

- Gear shift is much smoother in i - 10.

- The i - 10 controls (steering, gear lever etc) feel much more "within reach", great ergonomics, so easier to drive in cities.

Last edited by mooza : 11th June 2011 at 11:51.
Old 11th June 2011, 15:09   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas
the Ritz LXI had no major feature other than the PS, AC and split rear seats. The provision of central locking, 4 power windows, tachometer, electrically operated side mirrors, D/N mirror, etc. on the I10 Magna ...
Not sure why you would compare the LXi(4.04lakhs) to the Magna (4.23lakhs), while price-wise Magna is closer to the VXi (4.35lakhs). All the i10 features you mention above are available on the VXi, with the exception of EO mirrors. But then the Magna does not have immobiliser, rear split-seats, front-fog lamps, clock etc that the VXi comes equipped with.

And talking of features, while paying another 63K would get you the life-saving ABS and dual-airbags, you would need to shell out 1.03 lakhs more if you need it on the i10.

I have driven both the VXi and the Magna and drive-wise I liked both cars - the drives were on cars owned by friends, so I drove normally without 'testing' the cars for handling etc. For me, the Ritz wins on FE and space, while the i10 wins on interiors & the electric-ORVM (smart feature). The i10 gear-shift is tad smoother than the Ritz.

PS : All feature and price (ex-showroom Chennai) taken from respective manufacturer websites.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 16:17   #625
BHPian

Hi All,

Need some help here. My Ritz is due for 3rd service, ODO reading 8500km. The issue is that while starting the car, especially during cold starts, the car "half-starts". The tachometer would show a reading of around 300-400 rpm.
If I try to engage the first gear and move the car, the engine would turn off.
If I press the accelerator during this "half-start", the rpm would climb to 600-700 and car would behave normal.

The real issue is that this problem occurs intermittently, say thrice in a week or so. I had reported this to M.A.S.S during second service and they checked the ECU. However, as per them everything is fine. The worst part is that I have not been able to show M.A.S.S the actual problem. Whenever the car is in workshop, it would behave in a perfect manner.

Thanks,
Manish
Old 11th June 2011, 16:31   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
- Steering is effortless. The i-10 steering needs just that bit more effort.
That's something opposite to what the general perception is. i10 EPS makes steering very light and the response from steering is not supposed to be good.
Whereas Maruti EPS is weighted which means that you need to apply more effort to turn the car at high speeds.

I may not be 100% right for the aforementioned statement. But I remember while we were comparing i10 and Ritz prior to purchasing Ritz, a simple criterion was to test the cars at high speed. I drove both the cars at around 130-140kmph for 7-10kms at NH1 and found that not only Ritz was more planted, the steering response of Ritz was much better than i10.

O.T. In this segment, Figo is the undisputed champion with its HPS. Absolute driver's delight!!!

Thanks,
Manish
Old 11th June 2011, 16:48   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Not sure why you would compare the LXi(4.04lakhs) to the Magna (4.23lakhs), while price-wise Magna is closer to the VXi (4.35lakhs). All the i10 features you mention above are available on the VXi, with the exception of EO mirrors. But then the Magna does not have immobiliser, rear split-seats, front-fog lamps, clock etc that the VXi comes equipped with.

And talking of features, while paying another 63K would get you the life-saving ABS and dual-airbags, you would need to shell out 1.03 lakhs more if you need it on the i10.

I have driven both the VXi and the Magna and drive-wise I liked both cars - the drives were on cars owned by friends, so I drove normally without 'testing' the cars for handling etc. For me, the Ritz wins on FE and space, while the i10 wins on interiors & the electric-ORVM (smart feature). The i10 gear-shift is tad smoother than the Ritz.

PS : All feature and price (ex-showroom Chennai) taken from respective manufacturer websites.
The reason why I compared the Ritz LXI to the I10 Magna is mainly because in Dec 2010, when I was on the lookout for a vehicle, the (on-road) price of the Ritz here in Goa was Rs 4.4 lakh (with all discounts), while the I10 Magna was almost the same price (with all discounts). Don't know about the prices in Goa at this point in time, but from what I see in the above posts, the Ritz VXI is now on par with the I10 Magna. If this is the case, I must admit that the Ritz VXI makes it a better proposition.

Look, at the end of the day, it also depends on what deal is available at what point in time. Perhaps, if I were to buy a car today, I may have considered a Ritz VXI over the I10, if both cars were priced similar. These two cars are really good and both have their strong points to lure a potential customer.

Somehow though, I still don't like that silly tachometer protruding from the Ritz dash. Looks like a cheap fitment purchased from ebay or a roadside shop.
Old 11th June 2011, 23:30   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I must admit that the Ritz VXI makes it a better proposition.
I agree. Indeed it does make a better proposition.

Quote:
I still don't like that silly tachometer protruding from the Ritz dash. Looks like a cheap fitment purchased from ebay or a roadside shop.
In my Baleno/Swift, the tacho is integrated in the main console, but I felt the standalone tacho looked cool. Maybe a "grass is greener on the other side" effect, but I do remember drooling over the tacho-cum-shiftIndicator on nitrous' Esteem. Regarding the eBay thing, did the fitment look cheap, because I thought it was done properly ?
Old 12th June 2011, 21:04   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Need some help here. My Ritz is due for 3rd service, ODO reading 8500km. The issue is that while starting the car, especially during cold starts, the car "half-starts". The tachometer would show a reading of around 300-400 rpm.
If I press the accelerator during this "half-start", the rpm would climb to 600-700 and car would behave normal.

The real issue is that this problem occurs intermittently, say thrice in a week or so. I had reported this to M.A.S.S during second service and they checked the ECU. However, as per them everything is fine. The worst part is that I have not been able to show M.A.S.S the actual problem. Whenever the car is in workshop, it would behave in a perfect manner.

Thanks,
Manish
Hi t-bhpians,

Please advise!!!

Thanks,
Manish
Old 12th June 2011, 22:54   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Manish
I face the same problem-DITTO.The car does stall if i try to move it at that rpm.I've even tried leaving the car and see how much time it takes to get to its actual idle speed and generally it takes about 10secs.And worst thing is that this never happens at MASS because when they check the vehicle during receiving,engine is already warm and does not get stuck at half rpm.3rd service already over,car has done 7000kms.

Most Viewed