Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 21:07   #646
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
Overall, I am leaning towards Ritz as I feel it is more VFM and fun to drive.
Yeah it just proves what GTO has written! Ritz is a practical car! May not attract hearts, but will definitely make more sense.
Old 18th June 2011, 22:16   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Saw some comparisons of Ritz with i10. Since I am looking to buy a hatch, I took TDs for both Ritz ZXi and i10 Asta and here are my thoughts:

Benefits of Ritz over i10:

1. Cabin is roomier and more legspace in the rear seats.
2. Ritz engine seemed more peepy and eager, especially at lower speeds. i10 seemed laboured.
3. Price - Ritz has a discount of 25k as opposed to 20k on Hyundai. The top version difference is almost 30k. Asta has some more goodies over Ritz, but Ritz has alloy wheels in ZXi.
4. Better GC for Ritz at 170.
5. Slightly bigger boot.

Benefits of i10 over Ritz
1. Excellent interiors
2. Butter smooth gear shift
3. Better looking car - Hyundai SA said Ritz looked as if it was damaged in the rear.

Overall, I am leaning towards Ritz as I feel it is more VFM and fun to drive.
In my opinion, it isn't easy when the Ritz is compared with the I10, especially since both are excellent cars with different features appealing to different sets of potential customers. For those interested in a "bigger" cabin and the 'M' tag, the Ritz seems an automatic choice. Those who prefer a "refined" cabin would lean towards the I10. It all depends on the number of passengers (and their expectations of a cabin) in your car on a regular basis.

As far as point 4 in favour of the Ritz is concerned, I would contend that while the Ritz has technically about 11 litres of additional space (Ritz - 236 ltrs vs I10 - 225 ltrs), the I10 has far great usable space thanks to its boxed shaped boot, as opposed to the tapering and rounded shape of the Ritz boot. To prove this, a musician friend could not place his keyboard in another friend's Ritz, but it easily fitted in my I10.

I can't comment on the engine of the Ritz Petrol, but many have acclaimed the K-series engine. On the other hand, the I10 too has been appreciated by none other than GTO as an excellent city hatch.

Having said that, I would surely not go by obversations of the service advisor of a rival company. It would be obvious that he would highlight the not-no-great aspects in a bid to dismiss a rival car, no matter how great the car is. Likewise, speak to a SA of Maruti and s/he would be quick to belittle the I10.

All the best in your decision. Whatever the outcome, both cars are winners in their own right and will serve you well over the years.

@ Panko:

And I thought GTO actually preferred the I10 over the Ritz (petrol). At least some of his posts seem to have suggested so:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2370140

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2372850

But yes, GTO did praise the ride quality of the Ritz.

Last edited by misquitas : 18th June 2011 at 22:43.
Old 19th June 2011, 15:16   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
As far as point 4 in favour of the Ritz is concerned, I would contend that while the Ritz has technically about 11 litres of additional space (Ritz - 236 ltrs vs I10 - 225 ltrs), the I10 has far great usable space thanks to its boxed shaped boot, as opposed to the tapering and rounded shape of the Ritz boot. To prove this, a musician friend could not place his keyboard in another friend's Ritz, but it easily fitted in my I10.
Thanks for pointing this out!

Quote:
I can't comment on the engine of the Ritz Petrol, but many have acclaimed the K-series engine. On the other hand, the I10 too has been appreciated by none other than GTO as an excellent city hatch.
True, but I was really disappointed with the TD. What's more, the i10 that I was driving had clocked 9k kms, whereas the Ritz had clocked 43k and still felt very sprightly.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:10   #649
BHPian

I10 on the highway is a handful to handle. Where as Ritz is surprisingly grounded for a tall boy. @misquitas - Which make and model Keyboard are you refering to ? I have been able to fit Korgs and Yamahas without any trouble, while helping a friend shift houses. But seriously Hyundai needs to do something about the power steering..An excellent automobile like I10 deserves much better than its sluggish steering feedback.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:16   #650
BHPian

Quote:
True, but I was really disappointed with the TD. What's more, the i10 that I was driving had clocked 9k kms, whereas the Ritz had clocked 43k and still felt very sprightly.
I would advise you not to go by ODO readings on test drive vehicles alone. We have numerous posts here on this forum regarding tampered ODO readings on TD cars for varied reasons.

Likewise, do make sure that the TD vehicle is well-maintained for you to make an informed opinion. To cite three examples, a friend was planning to purchase a Wagon-R (earlier model) from a dealer here in Goa in 2009 and wanted to compare the Wagon-R with the newly launched Estilo. He was given a TD on the Demo vehicle and the Sales Advisor and I accompanied him on the TD. The car was in horrible shape and was wobbling really bad. We could barely take the car past 50 kmph. I was quite annoyed that a poorly maintained vehicle was kept for TD and I made known my displeasure to the sales advisor.

Similarly, when I went to TD the Tata ECS in Dec 2010, the car was also in a poor shape, with the AC virtually useless. "It takes 15 minutes for the AC to cool the ECS car," justified the sales advisor, when I asked him why the AC was not cooling properly.

Then again, I happened to visit an exhibition of home appliances in Panjim some time ago and a test Vista was parked at the Tata stall. Boy, the Vista looked as if it had been manufactured in the 80's. Paint was peeled off in some places and the car even had obvious dents in other places.

Point is, with such poorly maintained TD cars, what would be the opinion of the prospective customer. This is NOT to say that all TD cars are poorly maintained, but it would be nice if you can compare Ritz and I10 TD cars of different dealers, instead of relying on only one TD car. Chances are less that all TD cars across different dealers are poorly maintained. Likewise, do seek opinions from road side (read 'neutral') mechanics as well as friends/relatives who actually own these two cars.

In my friend's case, I urged him to TD a Wagon R from a different dealer and he eventually bought the Wagon R VXI in October 2009.

At the end of the day, undertake your research well in advance (this exercise can well be a fruitful learning experience, as it was in my case. Check out my thread on the I10 and you will know how I immensely benefitted from the process of elimination). I would urge you to make a well-informed decision before you visit the showroom with that cheque in hand. There's nothing more satisfying than a choice-well-made and there's nothing more regretful than a choice-poorly-made.

I reiterate that both Ritz and I10 are excellent cars and are worthy contenders to that prized space in your garage/parking lot.

@joemichael:

My friend wanted to transport his Yamaha PSR S900 from a show to his house in a friend's Ritz. They tried different options to get the keyboard in the boot space from the hatch door and finally managed to do so, only by first folding the rear split seat and pushing the keyboard in the boot space. The rear seat was pushed back after that. They were five passengers and hence, they needed the seat space as well. It was an inconvenience that my friend mentioned to me a short while later. My friend then checked the same PSR S900 on my I10 and it easily fitted (flat on its base) in the boot space, without the need to fold any rear seats.

Last edited by misquitas : 20th June 2011 at 10:44.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:56   #651
Senior - BHPian

hmmm.. intresting. so boot space wa the deal breaker for you?
with only mom and sis on the trip along with me. and a big subwoofer at the rear. i some how still manage to find some space in the boot of the ritz. we of course have the option of using the rear seat to an extend but never had to do it. so it also depends on how many memebers are ther in your family. being 6foot tall. i find myself extremely cramped in the i10.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:18   #652
BHPian

Quote:
@joemichael:

My friend wanted to transport his Yamaha PSR S900 from a show to his house in a friend's Ritz. They tried different options to get the keyboard in the boot space from the hatch door and finally managed to do so, only by first folding the rear split seat and pushing the keyboard in the boot space. The rear seat was pushed back after that. They were five passengers and hence, they needed the seat space as well. It was an inconvenience that my friend mentioned to me a short while later. My friend then checked the same PSR S900 on my I10 and it easily fitted (flat on its base) in the boot space, without the need to fold any rear seats.
Well my friend's was an imported Tyros , which is slightly longer than s900 if I am not mistaken..we could perfectly fit it in the boot , without having to even touch the seats. And Yes initially one would have to tilt it slightly to avoid scratching the Pillar. Well each has his own perception about "comfortably fitting" I guess.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:26   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
hmmm.. intresting. so boot space wa the deal breaker for you?
with only mom and sis on the trip along with me. and a big subwoofer at the rear. i some how still manage to find some space in the boot of the ritz. we of course have the option of using the rear seat to an extend but never had to do it. so it also depends on how many memebers are ther in your family. being 6foot tall. i find myself extremely cramped in the i10.
It is true that with limited passengers on board and with boot space not of primary concern, the Ritz would impress.

In our case, a practical (usable) boot was a vital feature given the luggage that we carry during most of our drives. With our Rs 4.5 budget, the best tall hatch (for us) which had a premium feel, practical luggage space, quality interiors, decent FE, decent space for 4 passengers and a pan-India service network was undoubtedly the I10 Magna 1.2 VTVT.

Regarding seating position, it also depends largely on the driver. I'm a notch below 6 feet in height and I have never found myself getting cramped in the I10. But yes, the Ritz offers much more cabin space.

Last edited by misquitas : 20th June 2011 at 11:38.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:43   #654
BHPian

Quote:
I would advise you not to go by ODO readings on test drive vehicles alone. We have numerous posts here on this forum regarding tampered ODO readings on TD cars for varied reasons.

Likewise, do make sure that the TD vehicle is well-maintained for you to make an informed opinion. To cite three examples, a friend was planning to purchase a Wagon-R (earlier model) from a dealer here in Goa in 2009 and wanted to compare the Wagon-R with the newly launched Estilo. He was given a TD on the Demo vehicle and the Sales Advisor and I accompanied him on the TD. The car was in horrible shape and was wobbling really bad. We could barely take the car past 50 kmph. I was quite annoyed that a poorly maintained vehicle was kept for TD and I made known my displeasure to the sales advisor.

Similarly, when I went to TD the Tata ECS in Dec 2010, the car was also in a poor shape, with the AC virtually useless. "It takes 15 minutes for the AC to cool the ECS car," justified the sales advisor, when I asked him why the AC was not cooling properly.

Then again, I happened to visit an exhibition of home appliances in Panjim some time ago and a test Vista was parked at the Tata stall. Boy, the Vista looked as if it had been manufactured in the 80's. Paint was peeled off in some places and the car even had obvious dents in other places.

Point is, with such poorly maintained TD cars, what would be the opinion of the prospective customer. This is NOT to say that all TD cars are poorly maintained, but it would be nice if you can compare Ritz and I10 TD cars of different dealers, instead of relying on only one TD car. Chances are less that all TD cars across different dealers are poorly maintained. Likewise, do seek opinions from road side (read 'neutral') mechanics as well as friends/relatives who actually own these two cars.

In my friend's case, I urged him to TD a Wagon R from a different dealer and he eventually bought the Wagon R VXI in October 2009.

At the end of the day, undertake your research well in advance (this exercise can well be a fruitful learning experience, as it was in my case. Check out my thread on the I10 and you will know how I immensely benefitted from the process of elimination). I would urge you to make a well-informed decision before you visit the showroom with that cheque in hand. There's nothing more satisfying than a choice-well-made and there's nothing more regretful than a choice-poorly-made.
That is unusual. Looks like the dealer didn't want to sell a particular car and hence offered a poorly maintained TD vehicle. These guys should ideally have more than one TD vehicle, so that the customer is given a fair chance to judge before making a decision. Often times, the TD vehicle isn't available and when it is, you have a poorly maintained car.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:57   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly! I am planning to drive a colleague's i10 to make sure. Also, I am low rpm driver and up-shift within 2000-2500 rpms. So my comparison is around this range.
Old 20th June 2011, 12:05   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly! I am planning to drive a colleague's i10 to make sure. Also, I am low rpm driver and up-shift within 2000-2500 rpms. So my comparison is around this range.
Your driving closely matches my style. Do check your friend's I10 and if after that you still feel the Ritz has more to offer you, then it is game, set, match for the Ritz.

Last edited by misquitas : 20th June 2011 at 12:17.
Old 20th June 2011, 13:48   #657
BHPian

Quote:
In our case, a practical (usable) boot was a vital feature given the luggage that we carry during most of our drives. With our Rs 4.5 budget, the best tall hatch (for us) which had a premium feel, practical luggage space, quality interiors, decent FE, decent space for 4 passengers and a pan-India service network was undoubtedly the I10 Magna 1.2 VTVT.
Could you please inform us regarding the FE you are getting, over the period of time, with i10? This will definitely help those, for whom FE is a major factor while deciding between Ritz and i10.
(Most of my friends complain about inconsistent FE of their i10s).
Old 20th June 2011, 16:06   #658
BANNED

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2372850

But yes, GTO did praise the ride quality of the Ritz.
As I mentioned somewhere else, I would recommend a Ritz not just for its Diesel engine, but for its K-series petrol engine also - its mileage and driving smoothness. Also the highway driving dynamics of Ritz, low maintenance cost compared to i10, Maruti After sales support, and the sporty looks of Ritz's compared to i10 - all make me drag towards Ritz.

Quote:
It is true that with limited passengers on board and with boot space not of primary concern, the Ritz would impress.
What will i10 do with 'unlimited' passengers?

Ritz can accommodate 5 passengers just like i10, and can handle the luggage just like i10, if not better. And Ritz's ride quality is far better than i10 with all these passengers and luggage.

I find your thoughts, findings, wording all very similar to one Team-BHPian named Rohan. Is it just a coincidence?
Old 20th June 2011, 17:06   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas
No offense misquitas, but your post above seems to imply "if you want boot-space, choose the i10. If it does not matter, choose the Ritz". And nothing could be further from the truth. Both are hatches with much limited boot capacity (compared to sedans) and the Ritz has a bigger boot and is a bigger car overall. Maybe you were able to fit a violin/guitar in the i10, but since when is guitar-storage used as a param to gauge boot-capacity ?

The last few pages have been about the i10 vs Ritz which per se is not a bad thing (good for those choosing between the two cars), but keeping on repeating the same things and quoting the same posts from some other i10 thread is not helping anyone.

BTW, MSIL seems to be marketing the Ritz with a vengeance now. Apart from adverts in the print media, they have a huge banner across the OMR near Thoraipakkam (this space used to host a Kizashi ad earlier). From the front, the car looks sweet in the ad. If only they had made the rear a bit more presentable, this would have been a great choice.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th June 2011 at 17:07.
Old 20th June 2011, 23:04   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko View Post
Could you please inform us regarding the FE you are getting, over the period of time, with i10? This will definitely help those, for whom FE is a major factor while deciding between Ritz and i10.
(Most of my friends complain about inconsistent FE of their i10s).
I have undertaken 4 fuel economy tests on my I10 so far, using the auto cut-off system from the same dispenser of the same pump. The readings (across different driving conditions) are as follows: 18.74 kmpl, 18.74 kmpl, 17.47 kmpl and 17.59 kmpl. I must admit, however, that I am a sedate drive and hence, these may seem pretty FE figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
As I mentioned somewhere else, I would recommend a Ritz not just for its Diesel engine, but for its K-series petrol engine also - its mileage and driving smoothness. Also the highway driving dynamics of Ritz, low maintenance cost compared to i10, Maruti After sales support, and the sporty looks of Ritz's compared to i10 - all make me drag towards Ritz.

Ritz can accommodate 5 passengers just like i10, and can handle the luggage just like i10, if not better. And Ritz's ride quality is far better than i10 with all these passengers and luggage.

I find your thoughts, findings, wording all very similar to one Team-BHPian named Rohan. Is it just a coincidence?
Fair enough. If you are happy with the Ritz, it is all that matters. Who is Rohan? Let me assure you that we are two different individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
No offense misquitas, but your post above seems to imply "if you want boot-space, choose the i10. If it does not matter, choose the Ritz". And nothing could be further from the truth. Both are hatches with much limited boot capacity (compared to sedans) and the Ritz has a bigger boot and is a bigger car overall. Maybe you were able to fit a violin/guitar in the i10, but since when is guitar-storage used as a param to gauge boot-capacity?
Whoa, what's up, supremebaleno? First, you take my comments out of context, then you turn sarcastic and finally, you say: "No offense". If you want to be offensive, please be so. And be honest about it, especially you are senior enough on this forum to know that.

And when did I say that "guitar-storage (is) used as a param to gauge boot-capacity?". Please re-check my post in its proper context. And while you are checking my posts, please check my following posts, where I HAVE admitted that the Ritz is an "excellent" car:

#607: Both are excellent cars and I would gladly recommend them any day.

#613: In my opinion, the Ritz is a much better car than the 6,000 monthly sales would suggest.

#627: "...(if) the Ritz VXI is now on par with the I10 Magna...I must admit that the Ritz VXI makes it a better proposition...These two cars are really good and both have their strong points to lure a potential customer."

#647: "In my opinion, it isn't easy when the Ritz is compared with the I10, especially since both are excellent cars with different features appealing to different sets of potential customers...many have acclaimed the K-series engine...both cars are winners in their own right and will serve you well over the years...But yes, GTO did praise the ride quality of the Ritz."

Let me recall that my interest in this thread was largely precipitated by post #645 of cediafan, as well as to some extent, post#597 of maglev. Wherever I have spoken highly about the I10 I have directly or indirectly indicated that it is MY OPINION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The last few pages have been about the i10 vs Ritz which per se is not a bad thing (good for those choosing between the two cars), but keeping on repeating the same things and quoting the same posts from some other i10 thread is not helping anyone.
This was clearly not my intention to do so, but as said earlier, my post was largely in reaction to the post by cediafan. If it has ruffled some feathers on this thread, I apologise. I did not mean to divert attention from the Ritz to the I10 on this Ritz thread. Since it is obviously bothering some, my inputs on the I10 and its comparison with the Ritz on this specific thread will stop here and now.

For those who are happy with the Ritz, good for you.

Last edited by misquitas : 20th June 2011 at 23:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks