Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 15:30   #121
BHPian

Great review, GTO.

My two cents, - Butt ugly, literally!

I feel it would sell on the strength of its engines only. In all other departments, i10 is better (going by the review and pictures).

Major pain points:
- No remote boot release (Don't the designers drive in India to know how many times we need to open the boot!)
- tunneled rear view
- Sorry to say, but the rear is horrible. It has a very decent front profile.

Saving grace:
- Good engines (proven 1.3 Multijet and the new 1.2 petrol, as per the review)
- Maruti name and reputation
- The average buyer does not think of the negatives when buying a car. It is mainly, 'Milage kya hai?'
- Many buyers may actually find the rear , er, cute! (We have all types here!) Alter all it is being sold as a world car.
- Most importantly, it now is the only car from Maruti that bridges the gap between Wagon R/Estilo and Swift.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:32   #122
Senior - BHPian

Looks like some big truck smashed car from behind and it emerged as an innovative design just like Swift back looks similar to Japanese SUMO wrestlers back.

No offense.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:33   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Where did you see that?
me too was asking the same thing where is that in it??

GTO, again superb review with amazing pics which says a lot about the car, overall looking at this car it feels more clumsy and tiny to swift but your views says other way which is what small outside good for traffic and city driving and good inside, also gear is placed mounted like i10, good.!
Old 11th May 2009, 15:56   #124
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
@ GTO: Any comment on the quality of the plastics used in the dash and the doors?
The dash was far better quality than we have seen in other Marutis. But the door panelling was the same hard hollow plastic.

Quote:
Also did you hear any faint rattles?
Nope. It feels better built than the Marutis of yore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
GTO how would you rate the swift DDiS VS ritz DDiS as far as the fun to drive and the engine performance is concerned?
Swift is a lot more fun to drive, more responsive and better handling. The Ritz is a well-behaved tall boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
-the coolant reservoir seems quite weathered-might be this car was used as a test vehicle here.What was the odo reading on the car?
Don't remember. Think about 4,000 kms? You got a nice eye.

Quote:
the air volume adjusters on the air vents are also welcome.
Are you talking from the pictures I just uploaded earlier this afternoon? If so, that's for direction not volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
The 1.6 Fiat diesel in SX4 is something which i am eagerly looking forward to , even more curious as to how much horse the FIAT mill will churn out
How does a 100 horses sound?
Old 11th May 2009, 16:27   #125
BHPian

the rear looks different. i liked it somewhat.. maybe i am in a minority
the rear is similar to a Renault car.. i dont remember the name.

but seems to be a good replacement for wagon-R.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:28   #126
BHPian

Are poor sales of the ZXi the sole reason for not launching a ZDi version in either the Swift or the Ritz ?

I remember last year when we visited a Maruti showroom to check out the Swift and asked about the ZXi, one of the salesmen told me that is the slowest moving of the variants and Maruti was even thinking of discontinuing the variant. Thankfully that hasn't happened.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:52   #127
BHPian

Thanks for the new pics GTO !

It has a bottle holder in side door ? That seems to be new .
Also can you put a Gear Lock if the gear is positioned like that .(The ones which fit under the gear stick with a large screw type lever).
Old 11th May 2009, 17:17   #128
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Looks like some big truck smashed car from behind and it emerged as an innovative design just like Swift back looks similar to Japanese SUMO wrestlers back.

No offense.
Exactly my thoughts on the rear. But the front profile looks good. I guess, they should have made a proper curved ( to the outside ) boot. That should have given it more boot space. But then..swift sales will go for a toss!
Old 11th May 2009, 17:19   #129
BHPian

GTO, Nice review man!

I have a question with respect to spaciousness: Is it more spacious than an i10? (I hope it is). One thing that I find particularly annoying in i10 is cramped knee room (width wise) which can be attributed to the console mounted gear-lever and an intrusive arm-rest. Did you find the front knee room to be better in Ritz?

OT Rant: Why don't these folks at Hyundai give an option of ABS+Airbags on Getz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
the rear is similar to a Renault car.. i dont remember the name.
The car you are referring to has to be Megane Hatchback. Believe me, I gasped in disbelief the first time I saw it.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:42   #130
BHPian

This particular end looks very much similar to the Renault Megane, But the Megane is a much wider car and somehow suits that profile.
check the pic.
In some earlier european pics of the ritz (splash) i can remember seen fall flat rear split seats. These indian versions dont look like they have fall flats, may be because the under carpet parcel tray is missing in the boot!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-renaultmeganesportdcititel.jpg  

Old 11th May 2009, 17:50   #131
BHPian

The megane looks heaps better than the Ritz could hope to look!
The Ritz seriously looks like it got a "swift" kick in the rear!
Old 11th May 2009, 18:23   #132
BHPian

GTO, this is a very nice & comprehensive review. I like the front 3/4 look of the car. Rear will take a lot of time getting used to. So many different cars will confound not just buyers but even the dealers as I've seen that most dealer showrooms in B'lore are small with enough space to show case 4-6 cars.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:04   #133
BHPian

Whats with suzuki designers nowadays?
They spend too much time designing the front and sides of the car that in order to meet deadlines they just put a flat 'chopped off' rear end

Started with the A star an d now this!!

Other than that,there is not much that one can find fault with in the car.There is no doubt that it will be a best seller,but imagine what it could have done with a halfway decent rear end.

Maruti Suzuki,pay attention and do not give us a third one with a flat\kicked in backside.
Curves welcome please
Old 11th May 2009, 23:13   #134
Senior - BHPian

Hey the first car came and its green,maybe tommorow or the day after more(3) would come.VDi ABS which i saw earlier dint have rear PW now the VDi which came has all 4 PW.no front fog lamps for the earlier one ,now it has front fog lamps.lolz,So much add ons in just a matter of a week.but that was expected.
bookings have started and i have a hunch feel that its yet another waiting period car ,as this is happening even without the price been told,

cheers

ram
Old 11th May 2009, 23:16   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
Whats with suzuki designers nowadays?
They spend too much time designing the front and sides of the car that in order to meet deadlines they just put a flat 'chopped off' rear end

Started with the A star an d now this!!

Other than that,there is not much that one can find fault with in the car.There is no doubt that it will be a best seller,but imagine what it could have done with a halfway decent rear end.

Maruti Suzuki,pay attention and do not give us a third one with a flat\kicked in backside.
Curves welcome please
Personal opinion I know, but I have to say I quite like the pictures of the rear end. It's different, you know? If you want a plain rounded rear end, all you need to do is look at an Indica.

But OTOH today I was watching a Zen Estilo drive by and realised that even that model's looks have grown on me! Maybe I'm losing it

Last edited by Perakath : 11th May 2009 at 23:29.

Most Viewed