Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 03:41   #1036
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
Well, I put to 1st gear and release my clutch with very little acceleration say around 1000 rpm and car starts rolling. I accelerate till about 1500 rpm
Upshift at 1500 rpm from first to second gear means the rpm post release of clutch would drop down to ~800 - 900 which is the idle rpm and would lug the engine. This lugging gives you the feeling of vibration that is but natural due to the wrong upshift timing.

My advice is try upshifting on or above 2000 RPM and check for the vibrations. Change your driving style and the habit and see if the vibrations is there or no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
- the clutch release bearings have most likely have gone bad. This is the most likely possibility to me.
- flywheel should be inspected.
Just a doubt regarding the two pints that you have mentioned for the said problem. If the flywheel could be the source then this should be in all gear not prominent in first gear. I have my doubts in the clutch release bearing or the pressure plate.

Quote:
P.S. Please change gears when rpm is around 2000 or thereabouts. Changing at 1500 is not recommended at all.
Exactly as mentioned in my earlier post.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th October 2013 at 03:43.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 23:25   #1037
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
That you are facing a problem in other gears points to 2 possibilities which have to be inspected first:
- the clutch release bearings have most likely have gone bad. This is the most likely possibility to me.
- flywheel should be inspected.

There are other possibilities, but these are the most likely as of now. Take your car to the M.A.S.S. and have it done under warranty.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. Please change gears when rpm is around 2000 or thereabouts. Changing at 1500 is not recommended at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Upshift at 1500 rpm from first to second gear means the rpm post release of clutch would drop down to ~800 - 900 which is the idle rpm and would lug the engine. This lugging gives you the feeling of vibration that is but natural due to the wrong upshift timing.

My advice is try upshifting on or above 2000 RPM and check for the vibrations. Change your driving style and the habit and see if the vibrations is there or no.

Just a doubt regarding the two pints that you have mentioned for the said problem. If the flywheel could be the source then this should be in all gear not prominent in first gear. I have my doubts in the clutch release bearing or the pressure plate.

Exactly as mentioned in my earlier post.

Anurag.
I generally shift around 1800 to 2000. Seeing this jolt i was trying to reduce the jolt on this new car and hence was trying to do it at lower but reasonable rpm or raise to 2000 rpm release the accelerator pedal completely then depress the clutch. This does not bring the jolt.

When you depress the clutch and release the accelerator simultaneously in 1st gear, you get the jolt.

And the jolt is experienced not while engaging 2nd gear but while detaching 1st gear. Engaging 2nd gear is smooth.

It is a bit difficult to explain, but its not the vibration u feel when rpm is low. (Its more of a single jolt than a vibration)

In my old zen, I used to do rapid shift of gears with very little loss of rpm. Now I think through the gear shift process and do a calculated shift
Hope this is minor issue. Will be going to MASS soon.
Old 16th October 2013, 12:25   #1038
BHPian

@anurag, @simple_car,

Today I found a simpler condition to reproduce this problem.

I drive down a steep slope in 1st gear with foot on none of the pedals and when the rpm touches around 1500+ if I depress the clutch suddenly I feel a jolt. (as if some mechanical part is loose)

Does this give any clue?
Old 16th October 2013, 17:42   #1039
BHPian

Oh, Boy, there are so many Ritz threads and I am posting this information since i don't want to start a new one.
I just completed 4 wonderful years with my Ritz VXi.
I believe it was launched in July 2009 and I bought it in August same year.
I was kind of decided on Swift and the only hiccup was the fact that almost everyone in Bangalore has got a Swift.
It was a instant decision when I saw it ( yes..i like the boomerang tail lamp) and after a test drive. Ritz was the first model from Maruti stable with K12 engine,

There are countless Ritz threads and fanboys explaining each nut andd bolt about Ritz but these are my 2 cents.
Now when I look back after four years and 30K kilometers (before you ask my office is 7 KMs from my home and all those miles are from long drives), I have nothing but pure admiration.
  • Almost Zero noise or vibration when idling (700 rpm) and under 5K while moving
  • Butter smooth gear shift
  • Zero breakdown or major issues
  • Once a year service not exceeding 4K
  • Very comfortable riding position (i am 6 feet) and airy cabin
  • Good thigh support and zero exhaustion in long drives
  • Money completely lost on extended warranty
  • The real fill it.. shut it.. forget it type

I upgraded to Michellin XMs and ICE (comps, amp, sub).
This one is a keeper. I will pass it on to the little on when he gets his DL(in 13-14 years).

Cheers,

Last edited by aah78 : 17th October 2013 at 07:20. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 18:47   #1040
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
I was kind of decided on Swift and the only hiccup was the fact that almost everyone in Bangalore has got a Swift.
It was a instant decision when I saw it (yes..i like the boomerang tail lamp) and after a test drive.
I agree totally with you on the Swift part. 3-4 cars out of 10 cars on a stretch would be Swift and out of that 80% will be a diesel! That said I love the swift and a fan since it was launched and want to own one which I will be buying in early 2014.

I overall love the Ritz too and like the funky looks of the rear and the grouse being the thin tires make the car look skinny. I would say the design is unique.

Quote:
Now when I look back after four years and 30K kilometers (before you ask my office is 7 KMs from my home and all those miles are from long drives), I have nothing but pure admiration.
My case is exactly opposite of yours. I clock a 110 kms a day and still clocking miles (102988 kms in 2.9 yrs) and no long trips till date.

Quote:
  • Almost Zero noise or vibration when idling (700 rpm) and under 5K while moving
A near perfect engineered car for the market. Low maintenance and efficient engine too. Ergonomically fantastic too.

Happy mile crunching bro.

Anurag.
Old 16th October 2013, 19:47   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed to all the points above. The K12 engine super silent both on ritz and swift. Once there was a swift passing (slowly) by me in the office and I was able to hear only the road noise. If there were no road noise from the tires, I would not have known that there was a car. It is very silent.

The points that you highlight above are the general views on the car by almost all ritz users. Unless MASS screws your car, it is really a "fill it, shut it, forget it" machine.
Old 17th October 2013, 00:32   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
I drive down a steep slope in 1st gear with foot on none of the pedals and when the rpm touches around 1500+ if I depress the clutch suddenly I feel a jolt. (as if some mechanical part is loose)
I am making some assumptions here, but my gut feel at the moment is the clutch release bearings are bad. Or maybe the flywheel (mostly unlikely if my past experience is anything to go by)

Although I got what you said about your problem in the previous post; it would be better if you can answer some questions:
- is this a vibration from the engine bay.. sort of the car shakes a little?
- does this problem occur specifically only in 1st gear and not in other gears at all?

It is very difficult sitting here and making a guess; I suggest you visit the service centre soon and get this problem sorted out asap.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 17th October 2013, 00:50   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
I am making some assumptions here, but my gut feel at the moment is the clutch release bearings are bad. Or maybe the flywheel (mostly unlikely if my past experience is anything to go by)

Although I got what you said about your problem in the previous post; it would be better if you can answer some questions:
- does this problem occur specifically only in 1st gear and not in other gears at all?

It is very difficult sitting here and making a guess; I suggest you visit the service centre soon and get this problem sorted out asap.

Thanks,
Simple_car
- Yes, it feels like a vibration from engine bay. Yes, like car shakes a little but quickly settles down.
- Occassionaly, I noticed in 2nd gear but very faint. In higher gears it is not noticeable at all. In 1st gear it is more stronger and more frequent but not reproducible always.

It feels as if something in the engine bay settles back into position due to release of the load.

Could you please elaborate what makes you doubt the clutch release bearing?
Old 17th October 2013, 01:54   #1044
BANNED

Quote:

- Yes, it feels like a vibration from engine bay. Yes, like car shakes a little but quickly settles down.
- Occassionaly, I noticed in 2nd gear but very faint. In higher gears it is not noticeable at all. In 1st gear it is more stronger and more frequent but not reproducible always.

It feels as if something in the engine bay settles back into position due to release of the load.

I to have my doubts on the clutch release bearing and the engine mounts.

I assume this jolt only when you press the clutch and NOT when you release the clutch?! If yes, check the cables or linkages from the clutch pedal to the clutch in the engine.

A casual search in Google I found this link. It is similar to what your facing, may not be the sane but you can get a clue at least. in all searching though.

LINK: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...1151346AAFgeQL

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th October 2013 at 02:00.
Old 19th October 2013, 12:20   #1045
BHPian

I had posted a query in technical stuff section but no response. I am pasting the same question here. Some one please help-

Quote:
In my last 50,000 Km service the following parts were replaced in my car due to some noise which was pointed to me by MASS themselves-

TUBE FRONT COIL SPRING
SEAT FRONT COIL SPRING
SUPPORT, FRONT STRUT
STOPPER FRONT STRUT REBOUND
CAP, STRUT ROD
BEARING, FRONT STRUT
PLUNGER STEERING RACK

The car was under extended warranty when the service took place (about 10 days ago). According to the warrantly booklet the following are covered under Suspension and Steering-

Arms with associated ball joints, Rear trailing arm & coil spring, Rack & pinion, Bushing, Steering column, Tie rods and tie rod end, Steering knuckles, Steering box, Power steeting pump, Wheel bearings, Shock absorbers, Struts

I had enquired with MASS and they informed me that warranty is applicable only if struts itself changed and not for the above parts which are part of 'wear and tear / consumable'. I am doubtful of their claim.

Are they taking me for a ride? Someone please clarify
Old 19th October 2013, 21:58   #1046
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,
Simple_car
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I to have my doubts on the clutch release bearing and the engine mounts.

I assume this jolt only when you press the clutch and NOT when you release the clutch?! If yes, check the cables or linkages from the clutch pedal to the clutch in the engine.

A casual search in Google I found this link. It is similar to what your facing, may not be the sane but you can get a clue at least. in all searching though.

LINK: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...1151346AAFgeQL

Anurag.
@Anurag, @Simple_car,

Today went to surakshaa Bomanahalli branch where I had purchased my car and got this issue resolved.

It turned out to be a gear box issue.

Lokesh, the works manager there was very co-operative, listened to the problem carefully, took a test drive, talked to Maruti and finally replaced the entire gear box with a new set all under warranty.
With the gear box replaced with a new one, the problem is completely gone now.

I am so relieved now. Lokesh deserves a real appreciation for sorting out the issue in a very professional manner.
automobilophile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 23:25   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
I had posted a query in technical stuff section but no response. I am pasting the same question here. Some one please help-
Was there specific complaints or issues/noises with the steering? Otherwise, the bearing failures are relatively rare. The cap, tube, and support are the stuff which you should look out for. Just ask the service center to return the parts and inspect for damage to verify.
W.r.t. your query on extended warranty, I would say please look it up in the booklet which is provided. It mentions all the parts covered. I have never taken extended warranty on any suzuki's till now so I have no idea.

Quote:
@Anurag, @Simple_car,

...talked to Maruti and finally replaced the entire gear box with a new set all under warranty...the problem is completely gone now.
Good to know the issue is solved. Enjoy the car

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 15:00   #1048
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Quote:
TUBE FRONT COIL SPRING
SEAT FRONT COIL SPRING
SUPPORT, FRONT STRUT
STOPPER FRONT STRUT REBOUND
CAP, STRUT ROD
BEARING, FRONT STRUT
PLUNGER STEERING RACK
I guess the parts mentioned are not covered in warranty. The parts that you mentioned seem to be the regular wear and tear stuff. Apart from the bearing which is a rare failure but I feel they are not taking you for a ride. I haven't taken any extended warranty for my Ritz VDi so I don't have that book.

Quote:
@Anurag, @Simple_car,

Today went to surakshaa Bomanahalli branch where I had purchased my car and got this issue resolved.

Gearbox issue! Good that the car is normal and sounds are out! Can you elaborate as to how did the engineer come odwn onto the gearbox and how did the replacement procedure go about and etc etc?

We are curious!

Congrats once again.

Anurag.
Old 21st October 2013, 20:29   #1049
BHPian

Gearbox issue! Good that the car is normal and sounds are out! Can you elaborate as to how did the engineer come odwn onto the gearbox and how did the replacement procedure go about and etc etc?

We are curious!

Congrats once again.

Anurag.[/quote]

Unfotunately, my relief was short lived. The next day the problem re-surfaced and my vehicle is in the MASS under investigation.
Will update once i get some resolution.

Hope its not a major problem and gets resolved in a clean manner.
Old 21st October 2013, 21:21   #1050
BANNED

Quote:
Unfotunately, my relief was short lived. The next day the problem re-surfaced and my vehicle is in the MASS under investigation.

Will update once i get some resolution.

Hope its not a major problem and gets resolved in a clean manner.
Sorry to hear this news buddy but I still put my doubts on the clutch and the links it is has. The bolstering could not have been done properly.

Anurag.

Most Viewed