Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:24   #1051
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Agreed to all the points above. The K12 engine super silent both on ritz and swift.
=========Unless MASS screws your car, it is really a "fill it, shut it, forget it" machine.
Absolutely agree with you. Its totally a Fill-Shut-Forget It Car. I've a Vdi with Ddis engine and have clocked 74k till date. I do 110 kms a day , every day to and fro my workplace. The Ritz is a fabulous workhorse ! Am glad I own it !!!
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:43   #1052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
Absolutely agree with you. Its totally a Fill-Shut-Forget It Car. I've a Vdi with Ddis engine and have clocked 74k till date. I do 110 kms a day , every day to and fro my workplace. The Ritz is a fabulous workhorse ! Am glad I own it !!!
Wow, I have some competition here in daily driving. How old is your car?

I too drive 110 kms a day and the car has completed 2 years and 10 months with the current odometer reading of 103957 kms.

Waiting for the updated New Swift which is expected to release in mid-2014 post which I will exchange my Ritz for it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:56   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Wow, I have some competition here in daily driving. How old is your car?

I too drive 110 kms a day and the car has completed 2 years and 10 months with the current odometer reading of 103957 kms.

Waiting for the updated New Swift which is expected to release in mid-2014 post which I will exchange my Ritz for it.

Anurag.
Anurag Sir, with extreme humility, You can never have competition. You've done 103957 in 2y10m !!!! I've a long way to go.
I bought my silver Ritz vdi in May 2011. So its 2 years 4 months young as of now. I stay at Kalyan (a satellite town outside Mumbai) and work in Bandra, Mumbai.The distance one way is about 55 kms. After 25 years of enduring a merciless fitness program in Mumbai local trains while commuting to and fro, I finally got fed up and opted to buy a car. Initially I too was gung-ho on buying the Swift. In May 2011, the waiting period for the Swift was 6 months and the Ritz was available immediately. Since I was hell-bent on returning home with a car, I opted for the Ritz. No regrets at all - super workhorse. I do keep eyeing the Swift and now that u say the update is due 2014, I'm eager to check it out too.
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:24   #1054
BANNED

Quote:

Anurag Sir, with extreme humility, You can never have competition. You've done 103957 in 2y10m !!!! I've a long way to go.
I bought my silver Ritz vdi in May 2011. So its 2 years 4 months young as of now. I stay at Kalyan (a satellite town outside Mumbai) and work in Bandra, Mumbai.The distance one way is about 55 kms. After 25 years of enduring a merciless fitness program in Mumbai local trains while commuting to and fro, I finally got fed up and opted to buy a car. Initially I too was gung-ho on buying the Swift. In May 2011, the waiting period for the Swift was 6 months and the Ritz was available immediately. Since I was hell-bent on returning home with a car, I opted for the Ritz. No regrets at all - super workhorse. I do keep eyeing the Swift and now that u say the update is due 2014, I'm eager to check it out too.
Lol. No problem buddy. The issue was I used to drive 130 kms a day and this went on for an year and after that now it is 110 kms a day.

The waiting period that Swift had in its initial periods was the main reason for customers to drive out with the Ritz. None expected or really short listed the Ritz as a car in the list but without much choice they chose the Ritz. In one of you in coding the Ritz over the Swift initially.

I am fixed on the Swift ZDi. No doubts and changes. Color is the problem
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:45   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Lol. No problem buddy. The issue was I used to drive 130 kms a day and this went on for an year and after that now it is 110 kms a day.

The waiting period that Swift had in its initial periods was the main reason for customers to drive out with the Ritz. None expected or really short listed the Ritz as a car in the list but without much choice they chose the Ritz. In one of you in coding the Ritz over the Swift initially.

I am fixed on the Swift ZDi. No doubts and changes. Color is the problem
Very True ! The Ritz wasn't ever shortlisted but turned out to be an impromptu choice which clicked luckily ! Sir, what color would you prefer once the new Swift is released ? I just read in a different thread that the new Swift would probably be out by 2017. Secondly, my MASC guy insists on getting the servicing done every 5k kms since the running is approx 3k kms a month . How frequently do u get the servicing done ? I end up in service once in 3 months irrespective of the kms. Would appreciate your opinion on this.
Old 23rd October 2013, 17:45   #1056
BANNED

Quote:
Sir, what color would you prefer once the new Swift is released ? I just read in a different thread that the new Swift would probably be out by 2017.
I am confused between the Torque Blue and Red. The 2017 model will be a all new platform or desigbut the mid-2014 will be a mild upgrade with a few featyres added. No skin deep changes.

Quote:
Secondly, my MASC guy insists on getting the servicing done every 5k kms since the running is approx 3k kms a month.
I say a NO to the 5K service visit. Let any engineer insist. The owners manual is the best engineer for any electronic item or machine.

Quote:
How frequently do u get the servicing done ? I end up in service once in 3 months irrespective of the kms. Would appreciate your opinion on this.
From 0 to 30K kms I used to change the engine oil and air filter but post 30K kms I follow the owners manual and do ghe servicing every 10K kms which is around 3 months. No compromise every 10K ot goes to the ASC.

PS: Please don't call me Sir. We both could be of the same age.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd October 2013 at 17:47.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:02   #1057
BHPian

Torque Blue and Red ..... Contrasting colors - One is cool calming water and the other represents fire ! I will follow your advise henceforth and go by the owner's manual. Thanks a million for your inputs.

Sir, A Senior BHPian deserves a lot of respect from a Newbie irrespective of age !!!!
andy69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 13:01   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear this news buddy but I still put my doubts on the clutch and the links it is has. The bolstering could not have been done properly.

Anurag.

Good to know the issue is solved. Enjoy the car

Thanks,
Simple_car[/quote]

They changed the whole clutch assembly. Problem was still there. Then they changed gearbox which seemed to have resolved the problem only to recurr the next day though with reduced intensity.
Then they investigated for 3 days and the problem is still not resolved.
They say it will go after about 1000kms and small vibrations will be there in every vehicle.
I am not convinced. This is not normal vibration and I dont see in other Ritz including test drive vehicle.

I should probably open a thread in technical section. Probably that is a better place for this discussion.

Hope things work out well for me.
automobilophile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 15:42   #1059
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
They changed the whole clutch assembly. Problem was still there. Then they changed gearbox which seemed to have resolved the problem only to recur the next day though with reduced intensity.
What the hell! The whole transmission has been changed?! And even after doing this no solution to the issue?

Please check the clutch pedal and the mechanism once.

Quote:
Then they investigated for 3 days and the problem is still not resolved. They say it will go after about 1000 kms and small vibrations will be there in every vehicle. I am not convinced. This is not normal vibration and I don't see in other Ritz including test drive vehicle.
No it ain't normal buddy and if the engineer says it'll go after 1000 kms why didn't they wait and see till 1000 kms rather replaced the clutch and gearbox?! If they are adamant on the 1000 kms theory, get it written from them that they are saying the vibrations will go away after 1000 kms and any problem that arises in future will be their responsibility.

Quote:
I should probably open a thread in technical section. Probably that is a better place for this discussion.
Please do that so we can discuss better and all can participate.

Quote:
Hope things work out well for me.
Hope for the best buddy. All the best.

Quote:
Torque Blue and Red ..... Contrasting colors - One is cool calming water and the other represents fire ! I will follow your advise henceforth and go by the owner's manual. Thanks a million for your inputs.
I love the Torque Blue but my dad and mom hate it. They are more inclined towards Red or silver. Silver I won't accept as all the cars till date were silver (Except my Ritz) and I'm bored of it. So this time a change to red is what I feel would be good.

Quote:
Sir, A Senior BHPian deserves a lot of respect from a Newbie irrespective of age !!!!

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 24th October 2013 at 15:45.
Old 26th October 2013, 10:19   #1060
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not convinced. This is not normal vibration and I dont see in other Ritz including test drive vehicle.
Here's my 2 bits on clutch judders.
- Judders normally have little to do with gearbox, unless there's a damage there. (so that's not the case here with a new GB)
- Judders have to do with excessively worn out clutches or unevenly warn-out ones. (excessively worn out is not the case here)
- A clutch can be unevenly warn out by improper use of clutch by the driver, read excessive and aggressive/ jerky slipping (even if only a few times). In my experience, a couple of times when, I ended up with my car in knee deep water, I slipped the clutch too much as the traffic was slow and I wanted to avoid stalling, my clutch lost its smooth engage feel. This happened with me in 2 separate cars.

I think the damage is permanent, but the clutch can be evened back into shape, by driving carefully (avoiding any judder by slow slipping) for at at-least 100-200 kms (depending on how bad it is) inside the city. My cars now work 80% fine as compared to how they were originally.

Moisture causes clutch slippage and uneven wear, drive carefully when cold in the morning.

The more you let it judder, the more uneven wear it will cause and only increase the problem.

Last edited by SLK : 26th October 2013 at 10:21.
SLK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 14:16   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Anybody installed a dome light for rear passengers/trunk? The illumination from the front dome light is very less for the rear passengers even with upgraded LEDs. I have a new born and good illumination in the back is important for me. What are my options?
Are there any battery powered dome lights available ? ( light the clap on clap off type lights)

Car: 2009 Ritz VXI
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 09:42   #1062
BHPian

Brakes: Ritz VDI vs Ritz ZXI

Hey Guys, I have a Ritz ZXI, driven it for about 30,000 KMs in both city & highways with both Heavy & light foot. But not even once did I feel that its brakes are inadequate/not up to the mark.
But, yesterday I took my friend's VDI for a ride & I really found the brakes to be much below par. Heavy braking at 100+ speeds felt scary.

Even at lower speeds sudden brakes in its turbo zone (about 2200 RPMs) makes the car loose its composure.

The obvious reasons for this are:
1. Wider tyres in ZXi
2. ABS in ZXi

But could any of the following be also the reason for the same?

1. Higher tyre pressure in VDI (36 & 33) as compared to ZXI (29).
2. Difference in tyre pressure in front & rear tyres of VDi?
3. Car not heavy enough to take in the sudden turbo kick?

Please suggest what can be done as we are planning to take VDI on long drive this weekend.

Will a reduction in 1-2 PSI in both rear & front tyres improve the braking? & how much will be the harm in FE?
I am also planning to get alignment checked.
Old 7th November 2013, 09:50   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brakes: Ritz VDI vs Ritz ZXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
...Even at lower speeds sudden brakes in its turbo zone (about 2200 RPMs) makes the car loose its composure.

3. Car not heavy enough to take in the sudden turbo kick?....
How does turbo zone make a difference here? It just has to do with brakes alone.

Quote:
...Please suggest what can be done as we are planning to take VDI on long drive this weekend.

Will a reduction in 1-2 PSI in both rear & front tyres improve the braking? & how much will be the harm in FE?...
Wider tyres will be the best bet here. Stock rims should be able to take up to 195 (195/55 R14 I guess) profile, that would improve braking to quite an extent.

Reducing psi will increase comfort, not sure it's going to aid braking, FE will reduce by 1-2 kmpl.

Since VDi is heavier, that also might contribute to the loss in composure as the front will have the extra weight.

Edit:: I suggest you stick to around 80 kmph since the car doesn't have ABS - Not saying that the wheels will NOT lock, but at this speed, you have enough time for correction and avoid panic braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Anybody installed a dome light for rear passengers/trunk? The illumination from the front dome light is very less for the rear passengers even with upgraded LEDs. I have a new born and good illumination in the back is important for me. What are my options?
Are there any battery powered dome lights available ? ( light the clap on clap off type lights)

Car: 2009 Ritz VXI
You can get stick on type dome lights in different colors from eBay or even local accessories shop. Those are run by batteries and come with on/off switch.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th November 2013 at 09:54. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion
Old 7th November 2013, 22:15   #1064
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, yesterday I took my friend's VDI for a ride & I really found the brakes to be much below par. Heavy braking at 100+ speeds felt scary.
I have a VDI ABS and normally there is adequate braking (not the best I've driven but still good enough). Difference is that I have 185 Turranza, which is very grippy.

Quote:
Even at lower speeds sudden brakes in its turbo zone (about 2200 RPMs) makes the car loose its composure.
There are 2 things here.
1- The Diesel version is heavy
2- "If" you haven't driven much diesel before you aren't used to how the power from the turbo is delivered with a slight lag. And understandably with the engine still in its power-band (which doesn't revv down as quickly as a petrol), the immediate sharp response from the brake is sometimes not felt in the diesel car.

Quote:
The obvious reasons for this are:
1. Wider tyres in ZXi
2. ABS in ZXi

But could any of the following be also the reason for the same?

1. Higher tyre pressure in VDI (36 & 33) as compared to ZXI (29).
2. Difference in tyre pressure in front & rear tyres of VDi?
3. Car not heavy enough to take in the sudden turbo kick?

Please suggest what can be done as we are planning to take VDI on long drive this weekend.
Its one of the heaviest diesel hatch-backs around. The air pressure also shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Will a reduction in 1-2 PSI in both rear & front tyres improve the braking? & how much will be the harm in FE?
I am also planning to get alignment checked.
DO NOT REDUCE AIR PRESSURE, high speed/ long drives can be very dangerous with lower pressure.

There can be a few more reasons for poor braking on a particular car
  1. The car is generally driven for short distances - This can cause the brakes to be not so good temporarily but on a long drive this will hopefully regain its sharpness.
  2. The person who drives the car normally doesn't use the brakes well and either brakes too often (wearing off the pads and discs) or too many sudden sharp brakes, causing the disc to lose its shape (pretty common on many cars)

Overall, I would be very careful with a car running the OEM 165s and without ABS. Please don't drive too fast.

My car's ABS has rarely come into action and I frequently do insane speeds with reasonable confidence.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 22:29   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
2- "If" you haven't driven much diesel before you aren't used to how the power from the turbo is delivered with a slight lag. And understandably with the engine still in its power-band (which doesn't revv down as quickly as a petrol), the immediate sharp response from the brake is sometimes not felt in the diesel car.
So true. This basically sums up the fact that I was feeling inadequate braking even at the speed of around 60km/h.
I am back from my 600 KM long drive & one thing that I have concluded is that the stock Apollo 165 are seriously under gripped for this turbo charged diesel.
I feel that this stock size can even be life threatening.

Most Viewed