Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:26   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

I asked last time at Popular Maruti(Cochin,Muvattupuzha) they are sure there is no firmware update available as of now.
I was observing this small but irritating errors. the AVG reading gets stuck randomly may be after 500kms of run. so, at say 15.4kmpl it gets stuck and resets to 0.0kmpl and slowly increase to 8.x kmpl over a long period(500kms). no, it won't grow into original value, but, at 8.xkmpl my Ritz's AVG display again reset into 0.0kmpl.
I was wondering whether Maruti is taking notice of this problem.
asked to take the car to Cochin service centre to have a look. but, as some people suggest, I will rather wait for some solid solution to come up rather than wasting time dismantling dashboard,instrument console with the MASS people whom I am not very confident of.
Old 6th January 2014, 10:36   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30-60 seconds and then reconnecting it again?

Anurag.
What exactly happens when we do this, please?
Old 7th January 2014, 01:27   #1083
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
What exactly happens when we do this, please?
AFAIK, it resets the ECU and the programs. No harm in doing so but not to be done regularly.

Anurag.
Old 13th January 2014, 09:09   #1084
BHPian

Can anyone suggest if it is a good idea to upgrade my Ritz' Headlamps? It seems all the people in Bangalore have upgraded to blinding headlamps, especially the cab & tempo traveller drivers in Whitefield area. Please let me know what can I get fitted in my car?

Last edited by creative420 : 13th January 2014 at 09:11.
Old 13th January 2014, 09:30   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Can anyone suggest if it is a good idea to upgrade my Ritz' Headlamps? It seems all the people in Bangalore have upgraded to blinding headlamps, especially the cab & tempo traveller drivers in Whitefield area. Please let me know what can I get fitted in my car?
I would suggest you to upgrade the bulbs to Philips Xtreme Vision in stock rating for better visibility.

Adding bulbs with higher power than the stock rating will require a relay or wiring harness and of course will put more load on the electrical system, cause dullness in the headlight reflectors in the long run, etc. Warranty might void in this case too.

If your objective is better illumination, then the Philips as suggested will get the job done.
Old 13th January 2014, 09:42   #1086
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you on this as the relay, socket, reflector and wiring harness gives up in some time. I have seen this happen in our zen. The resultant cost and headache is just not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I would suggest you to upgrade the bulbs to Philips Xtreme Vision in stock rating for better visibility.

Adding bulbs with higher power than the stock rating will require a relay or wiring harness and of course will put more load on the electrical system, cause dullness in the headlight reflectors in the long run, etc. Warranty might void in this case too.

If your objective is better illumination, then the Philips as suggested will get the job done.
Old 13th January 2014, 19:43   #1087
BHPian

@n_aditya Thanks for the suggestion. I don't wish to upgrade, but the lack of streetlights from Frazer Town to Whitefield and back, and the ever increasing rough cab/tempo driver with upgraded lights is what really is pushing me to even think about it. I thought there was something wrong with my glasses, so I got a new one from Titan Eye+ which costed me a bomb. Tried wearing lens too. But any improvement? Nada! Have you upgraded lamps on your Ritz Zdi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I agree with you on this as the relay, socket, reflector and wiring harness gives up in some time. I have seen this happen in our zen. The resultant cost and headache is just not worth it.
Thank you, Sebring. What kind of resultant cost are you talking about? Please throw some "light" on it :P
Old 14th January 2014, 15:41   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
I don't wish to upgrade, but the lack of streetlights from Frazer Town to Whitefield and back, and the ever increasing rough cab/tempo driver with upgraded lights is what really is pushing me to even think about it.
I frankly don't think a 100W bulb will help you see better when you are confronted by high-beams. Also, my experience is that this is a war of attrition that nobody backs down from. If the cabbie hit you with a 100W high-beam when you were being a a considerate 60W low-beamer, he's more likely to do so when he's being lit-up by a 100W high-beam. Pretty soon the road will be filled with 100 watters crashing into each other because they can't see anything except the incoming headlamps.

I agree with you that Ritz's headlamps are woefully inadequate. Especially the low-beam that I use all the time. Unless you're travelling at 20km/h, you WILL NOT see that pothole in time. I've had my share of near-misses with unmarked medians in my part of the world. Damn scary! The bulbs definitely must be replaced with better illumination.

Sometimes, playing meek gets you a better response from other road users here. I have always had better luck in these situations when I switch to parking lights alone for a split second before getting the low-beams on again. IMO, that expresses "I can't see" better than the highbeams. People are generally sympathetic to that gesture and dip their lights immediately, at least temporarilty.
SlowRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 17:04   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you upgraded lamps on your Ritz Zdi?
Yes, i upgraded the headlight and fog lamp bulbs on my car within a month or so. I switched to Osram Nightbreaker Plus in the stock rating and it made a world of difference.

The first time I was on the highway after I bought this car, I couldn't go past 80kph. I was driving to Chennai late evening and headlights were sorely inadequate. After the switch I am able to cruise at 100-120kph without any issues.

But Osram's don't last long. The high beam filament in the LHS bulb fused in 4 months time so i replaced it with Philips Xtreme Vision (again in stock rating). These have a tinge of yellow light compared to the almost pure white of the Osram's. I've been using these Philips bulbs in my ninja too for over 2.5 years and they are still going strong (touchwood).

I would suggest you to go with Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs in stock rating in your car. It costs around 600 bucks per bulb.

Quote:
I frankly don't think a 100W bulb will help you see better when you are confronted by high-beams.
Yes, I agree. Even after upgrading the bulbs on my car, I have an issue seeing the road ahead when morons in the oncoming direction drive with high beams. This will persist even if you plonk in HID's.

Quote:
Sometimes, playing meek gets you a better response from other road users here. I have always had better luck in these situations when I switch to parking lights alone for a split second before getting the low-beams on again. IMO, that expresses "I can't see" better than the high beams. People are generally sympathetic to that gesture and dip their lights immediately, at least temporarilty.
In such extreme cases I switch off the headlights (parking and fog's still on) and switch them back on with high beams. That gets the message across to the others.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 19:00   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of resultant cost are you talking about? Please throw some "light" on it :P
Sure here you go... Had to replace the relay, burnt reflector and wiring harness. Thats the cost I'm talking about.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th January 2014 at 09:53. Reason: quote tags fixed
Old 16th January 2014, 15:14   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
he's more likely to do so when he's being lit-up by a 100W high-beam. Pretty soon the road will be filled with 100 watters crashing into each other because they can't see anything except the incoming headlamps.

People are generally sympathetic to that gesture and dip their lights immediately, at least temporarilty.
Brilliant idea. I'll try the playing-meek idea tonight when I go back home. And yeah, I wouldn't want the streets to be filled up with 100W high-beam killers!

Quote:
The first time I was on the highway after I bought this car, I couldn't go past 80kph.

I would suggest you to go with Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs in stock rating in your car. It costs around 600 bucks per bulb.

In such extreme cases I switch off the headlights (parking and fog's still on) and switch them back on with high beams. That gets the message across to the others.
I had gone to Rasta Cafe on Mysore Road last weekend. Man did I turn blind?!? I kept going at 60 to 70 and then finally sped up when there was street-light support.

Thanks for the Philips suggestion though.

And nice way of getting back. I wish there was a sensor camera installed like speed camera to register the illumination of these car lamps. The guilty should be fined thrice the sum of these lamps, just so he doesn't even consider putting such lamps back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Sure here you go... Had to replace the relay, burnt reflector and wiring harness. Thats the cost I'm talking about.
In the re-crafted words of Mr. Jerry McGuire: Tell me the money! Tell me the money!

No, seriously do before I take the plunge. :P

P.S: Also, can you tell me the tyre pressure to be maintained on JK Vectra (stock tires)? I'm maintaining 32. And I couldn't find where the hell it's mentioned in the manual book. :P

Last edited by creative420 : 16th January 2014 at 15:20.
Old 16th January 2014, 16:04   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, can you tell me the tyre pressure to be maintained on JK Vectra (stock tires)? I'm maintaining 32. And I couldn't find where the hell it's mentioned in the manual book. :P
Here is the info:

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-20130824-11.06.55.jpg

The tire placard is on the driver side door sill.

Mine is the ZDi and the car comes with 185 profile tires as stock.
Old 16th January 2014, 18:16   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the info:

Attachment 1191651

The tire placard is on the driver side door sill.

Mine is the ZDi and the car comes with 185 profile tires as stock.
Damn. This is a facepalm moment. It was there all along.

Since mine is ZXi , I'm guess I'll have the same tires too. However, I'll check on it. Thanks Aditya

P.S: Mine is a Breeze Blue car too. Booked it after reading your review. But then I changed my job and from 6kms a day, it has turned into 17kms a day. Should've booked a ZDi (with that turbolicious engine)

Note from Support - Only 2 smileys per post please.

Last edited by n_aditya : 17th January 2014 at 11:29. Reason: extra smileys deleted
Old 16th January 2014, 19:37   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, i upgraded the headlight and fog lamp bulbs on my car within a month or so...
The fog lamp bulbs are H8 ? How did you find a higher output same wattage? I searched for it, but could NOT find it.

Quote:
...Since mine is ZXi , I'm guess I'll have the same tires too...
For diesel, the pressure in the front will be more than that of rear ones due to additional weight. For petrol, the front and rear pressures should be the same.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 23:17   #1095
BHPian

Can someone tell me what is the normal cost of service at 60,000 Kms for a Ritz diesel?
MASS is pushing for some sort of AMC to my dad mentioning 'huge' amounts for 60,000 service (Car has done 55,000km done till date).

Most Viewed