Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 09:59   #1171
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Ritz Windshield Cracked - Replacement Cost ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
[*]What might be the approximate charges to replace the Windshield?[*]Can insurance be claimed?[*]Will there be any leakage in future?[*]My friend suggested to go to WindShield Experts instead of ABT Maruti service center, is it ok?
1. I had replaced my Ritz's cracked wind shield some 2 years back and it costed some 7500 odd rupees that time
2. I had claimed my car insurance and so I had to pay only 800 bucks. That's for the rubber sealant and labour may be
3. No leakage after the replacement
4. I would suggest you go to a MASS only. Their fit and finish is the best
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 10:15   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I have few questions.
  1. What might be the approximate charges to replace the Windshield?
  2. Can insurance be claimed?
  3. Will there be any leakage in future?
  4. My friend suggested to go to WindShield Experts instead of ABT Maruti service center, is it ok?
1. Approximate cost shall be 5-5.5 K.
2. Yes, only rubber and sealant are not covered
3. Not heard of.
4. Windshield experts are best in business. You will save time and money. I have got my windshield changed by them a couple of times.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 10:57   #1173
Team-BHP Support

As the others have mentioned, it would be good to get a quote from Windshield Experts too, before you decide on what option to pursue. The windshield replacement can be claimed under insurance, as glass is covered 100% and does not depreciate like metallic parts. However, what you would need to pay from your side would be the cost of sealant as well as rubber lining.

Whichever option you decide for the replacement, make sure the sealant is applied liberally and try to avoid using the car for a day or so after the sealant has been applied to ensure the new windshield beds into place properly. On my Ikon I had to get the sealant re-applied as it was not done properly the first time and so resulted in wind noise entering the cabin. I refused to pay for the additional cost of sealant, as it should have been done right the first time round.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 11:07   #1174
BHPian

Sir, I would suggest you get a quote from Windshield Experts I had also created a thread on the same here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...r-chennai.html

They are cheaper than After Sales Service and also insurance claims are easy.
Old 28th April 2014, 11:51   #1175
Senior - BHPian

I replaced the windshield of my Ritz from WE last week and I paid 5.2 k which also includes a vacuum cleaning .So it should cost 5k to replace the windshield of a Ritz .
Old 28th April 2014, 12:41   #1176
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

A quick technical question regarding the Ritz here, not sure if this is the right thread to post it in though. My Ritz is coming up on 4 years of ownership, and I've done 30k kms on it, but recently I've been hearing a slight squeaking sound whenever I press the clutch to change the gears. I'll take the car to a MASS this weekend but I wanted a general idea from the experts on what the problem might be.
Old 29th April 2014, 19:05   #1177
BHPian

Hi All, Thanks for your responses. My insurance is comprehensive hence I guess it's covered.

Let me talk to "Windshield Experts" as well as MASS and see.
Will let you know guys once I have decided on.
Old 5th May 2014, 14:10   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Got the bulbs changed over the weekend. No "Xtreme vision H11" was available at AK traders, only regular Philips H11 was there and I bought it for Rs 560 a pair.
Got it changed with the help of a local workshop.

Result : Not very happy. I guess the lamps are not aligned correctly now and most of the light is pointed at around 5-6 feet in front of the car. From my driving seat, I cant see any bright spots when only fog lamps are ON.

Took the car again to same workshop and they were least bothered to help (Saying they didnt touch the reflector or lamp). It also could be because the H11 bulbs are few millimetres longer than H8. More research needed to find out what is causing the reduction in light compared to the old H8.

OT - I was checking other similar Maruti vehicle's fog light throw and they are all less and very close to front bumper. I saw an old generation Verna and it was superb throw..almost 20-25 meters
Finally I was able to get the fog lights correctly focused. Now very happy with the set up.

I mentioned the short throw issue to my SA while at 40k service and he immediately gave me 2 options
1. use the leveling screw of the fog light assembly
2. if option 1 didn't work,remove the bumper and remount fog light with a slight upward incline.

Option 1 solved the problem.

I can drive my Ritz at 40 km or less speeds using fog lights alone ; yes I tried this in a controlled environment
But the biggest advantage I see here is the illumination of close by objects when headlights are in high beam. The disadvantage is the slight glare for oncoming traffic at close range, I myself drove another car opposite to mine and it was very less. Yet to test in real fog situations.

Now some pictures. All pictures are taken using f-3.5, t-1/5s, ISO 800.
Headlamps are Philips extreme vision ( The actual color of light is not reflected in pictures due to incorrect white balance set up)

Front view
---------------
1. Only parking light - for reference
Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-f_parking.jpg

2. Fog light

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-f_fog.jpg

3. Fog + low beam

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-f_fog_low.jpg

4. Fog + high beam

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-f_fog_high.jpg

Inside view
----------------

2. Only fog light

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-fog.jpg

3. fog + low beam (focused closer using leveling switch)

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-fog_low.jpg

4. fog + low beam (focused farther using leveling switch)

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-fog_low_other.jpg

5. fog + high beam (focused closer using leveling switch)

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-fog_high.jpg

6. fog + high beam (focused farther using leveling switch)

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-fog_high_other.jpg

Some more pictures of my LEDs

1. Inside

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-led_f.jpg

2. Number plate light

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-led_r.jpg

Last edited by arjithin : 5th May 2014 at 14:14.
Old 5th May 2014, 14:29   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuj View Post
A quick technical question regarding the Ritz here, not sure if this is the right thread to post it in though. My Ritz is coming up on 4 years of ownership, and I've done 30k kms on it, but recently I've been hearing a slight squeaking sound whenever I press the clutch to change the gears. I'll take the car to a MASS this weekend but I wanted a general idea from the experts on what the problem might be.
I'd the same issue in mine @ the 40K service alongwith a lot of play in the clutch pedal; ended up with a clutch overhaul @ the local MASS here! I am at 43K now and the squeak is back..albeit faintly! I won't bother about it till atleast the 45K mark. Long story short, MASS will blindly suggest a clutch-overhaul based on the age and mileage; don't fall for it unless you're sure the clutch's a goner! (you can test that yourself). Else, ask them to fix it by adjusting the pedal-play only..
Old 5th May 2014, 17:57   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

2. Number plate light

Attachment 1237318
Are those led in the number plate section ?
From where did you sourced those .
Cheers
Old 5th May 2014, 18:15   #1181
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right section for this query, but still posting here since I see many Ritz owners active over here.

My VXI has crossed 45k and has served well for nearly 3.5 years. I've not bothered to change the lamps and the tyres yet. I use the car mainly in city and take it out on long trips during weekends. I feel the OEM headlights are not sufficient for long drives.

Will an upgrade to Philips H11 help for city driving and highway driving during nights? Any alternatives to Philips H11?

Since my car has crossed 45k mark already, I'm worried about the tyres. Is it the right time to change them, or can I push it till 50k mark?
Old 5th May 2014, 18:33   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Not sure if this is the right section for this query, but still posting here since I see many Ritz owners active over here.

My VXI has crossed 45k and has served well for nearly 3.5 years. I've not bothered to change the lamps and the tyres yet. I use the car mainly in city and take it out on long trips during weekends. I feel the OEM headlights are not sufficient for long drives.

Will an upgrade to Philips H11 help for city driving and highway driving during nights? Any alternatives to Philips H11?

Since my car has crossed 45k mark already, I'm worried about the tyres. Is it the right time to change them, or can I push it till 50k mark?
I totally agree with your comments on the headlight. You can go with Osram Nightbreakers. I have been using them for last 2 years and no complains so far.

As far as the tyres are concerned, my advice would be to change them ASAP. OEM VXI tyres are never good to begin with and don't do justice to the car's handling.

Again you have crossed 45K and you go on long drives(I assume you must be touching three figure speed ). So they must be screaming for change.
Old 5th May 2014, 18:37   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post

@scorp: Your's seems to be the same age as mine; I'll give my 2 cents:

1) Headlight Upgrade: Heads are of H4 type (H11 is for fogs but not very sure). If you're sticking with 60/55W then Philips Xtreme Visions should be a good upgrade and are a direct plug-n-play. Upgrading to a 90-100W would need a relay install along-with the bulbs

2) Tyres: This purely depends on the tread depth left on ur tyres; do the coin test to find that out. Here also you can either stick to OEM size (165/80R14) or upgrade to the ZXI size (185/70R14) on ur steel rims.

Cheers.
Old 5th May 2014, 19:35   #1184
BHPian

@Ohh!Oxygen and @avinash_m: Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Really appreciate it!

1) Headlight upgrade: Is it worth moving to relay install for 90/100W instead of just replacing the stock bulbs with Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker? What would be the approximate cost?

2) Tyres: Will seriously think of changing the tyres. No plans of alloy yet. Is there any advantage of choosing the ZXI size (185/70R14) over OEM size (165/80R14)?
Old 5th May 2014, 20:58   #1185
BHPian

I'd say stick to the same wattage bulbs and change to Philips/Osram. Ive just ordered a pair myself for 1k approx. as one of the bulbs went kaput on mine. I do have a 90/100w relay setup but frankly didnt find it justified for my use. Awaiting my Philips Xtremes (60/55w) now as the OEMs really suck.

Tyres: again depends on ur driving style and usage. The main adv is the increased contact patch of 185 over 165 meaning better grip specially needed on highways! The 185s are ideal for the Ritz (petrol) without being too big for the power it has and yet giving it a nice stance and making it much safer to drive overall..(over the 165s). Just make sure u avoid JKs. Michelin, yoko, conti are among the best!

Cheers

Most Viewed