Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2022, 10:34   #1651
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
Hello fellow Ritz VDi owners!

Do you experience black exhaust when accelerating hard? My 2013 VDi has done 148k kilometers so far. I have no complaints about the engine and it passed an emissions inspection recently, but I've noticed that the car generates a cloud of black smoke (almost like a bus!) when I go wide open throttle. It's not often that I have to give it more than 80% throttle, so it doesn't bother me that much. But I don't remember seeing so much black smoke at high RPMs previously. Is this normal for a diesel MJD?
On wide open throttle, our Ritz generates black smoke, and has been since we bought it 10 years back. However, have not noticed any increase in the amount of black exhaust over the years. The sooty exhaust come us up for an instant and does not persist.
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 18:46   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow Ritz VDi owners!

Do you experience black exhaust when accelerating hard? My 2013 VDi has done 148k kilometers so far. I have no complaints about the engine and it passed an emissions inspection recently, but I've noticed that the car generates a cloud of black smoke (almost like a bus!) when I go wide open throttle. It's not often that I have to give it more than 80% throttle, so it doesn't bother me that much. But I don't remember seeing so much black smoke at high RPMs previously. Is this normal for a diesel MJD?
When have you done last EGR valve cleaning? If I remember correctly, it has to be done at every 40k km interval. Try doing it in your next service and see if it solves your problem. My Ritz VDI is at 99600 kms and i have done it twice at 40k and 60k. At 60k, they did it without telling me in advance. My last service was at 96k so i am also planning for it in my next service.
CarWorld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:24   #1653
BHPian

This might be a strange query. I have a Ritz Zxi 2011 model. It has no boot release from inside the car and no keyhole in the boot door. Till now i was using remote to lock and unlock the car. Today I had to remove battery from the car to charge it as it was not having enough juice due to non usage for a month. Strangely when I removed the battery and locked individual doors manually by turning the lock knob inside and finally using key to lock the driver door, I found that the boot still remained unlocked. No matter I tried what other methods like locking all doors and finally locking driver door by turning the lock knob inside and closing the door with the handle pulled, following same method on boot, I just couldn't lock the boot. Somebody please suggest me a solution for this as i am not aware how to lock boot door.
Old 17th May 2022, 18:02   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
Strangely when I removed the battery and locked individual doors manually by turning the lock knob inside and finally using key to lock the driver door, I found that the boot still remained unlocked.
When I have given some thought on this, I realised that all 4 doors might be having manual internal controls for passengers to unlock and lock whenever required. But this is not the case for boot door. That means, boot door can only be locked and unlocked with the help of battery i.e. using your car remote keys. So I consider this as possible feature blunder by Maruti. I have a 2013 Ritz VDI and it has internal boot release button and l can lock / unlock boot using keys too. So in your strange case, the only solution seems, fix the battery again and then lock the boot via remote i.e. your usual way.
Old 17th May 2022, 18:52   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWorld View Post
That means, boot door can only be locked and unlocked with the help of battery i.e. using your car remote keys.
Missed to add that, when you need to recharge your battery again, first keep the bonnet door unlocked from inside, then lock all 4 doors and boot with car remote keys and then remove the battery. This way your boot door will remain locked. You can always open / close car doors manually. Hope this helps.
Old 18th May 2022, 16:56   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWorld View Post
Missed to add that, when you need to recharge your battery again, first keep the bonnet door unlocked from inside, then lock all 4 doors and boot with car remote keys and then remove the battery. This way your boot door will remain locked. You can always open / close car doors manually. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this idea. I too consider this as a feature blunder by Maruti. Hope the current models aren't prone to this issue. As for my case, locking with remote and then removing the battery is the way to go hereafter.
Old 6th July 2022, 18:00   #1657
BHPian

Hello bhpians!
Any Ritz diesel drivers out there who think Ritz's steering takes more effort compared to other cars? I occasionally drive a Brezza (diesel) and Nexon (petrol) besides my Ritz, and I can say for certain that Ritz's steering takes a lot more effort at parking speeds. It's an interesting observation because I'm on record in this very forum stating that Ritz's steering is a breeze when the car was first purchased. However, that could be misleading because before we got Ritz, we had a Santro that had a hydraulic power steering; so Ritz's EPS might have felt lighter.

If the general opinion in this forum is that Ritz diesel EPS is light at parking speeds, perhaps I ought to raise this as a concern when I drop the car off for next service.
Old 6th July 2022, 20:01   #1658
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the general opinion in this forum is that Ritz diesel EPS is light at parking speeds, perhaps I ought to raise this as a concern when I drop the car off for next service.
When I got mine, I had immediately changed to 185 tyres, and the steering was always heavy.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 09:47   #1659
BHPian

I have driven an Alto K10 and Celerio occasionally and they feels way lighter in terms of steering than my Ritz. I think it is generally heavier than other cars around.
arsudarsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 11:14   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bhpians!
Any Ritz diesel drivers out there who think Ritz's steering takes more effort compared to other cars?
Yes, my relatives who currently drive Amaze petrol and i10 petrol both have complained me about heavy steering when they drive my Ritz diesel. So this seems correct observation.
CarWorld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 09:16   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
Off late I am seeing a lot of action on my speedometer. I have changed the battery recently thinking of resolving the issue but to no avail.The auto-electrician told me to that he needs some more time to diagnose this speedometer. This happens during the first start in the morning. More so now it has started acting even after a 100kms run as well.I dread if any replacements is on the cards

Please see the video in the below link
Recently, the speedometer in our ~13 year old Ritz ZXI started acting up, almost like the video in the quoted post.

During the first start in the morning, on turning on the ignition, the speedometer starts flickering - see video here (before starting car). After starting the car, the flickering reduces (video after starting car) and stops completely after driving the car for a few minutes. The clock resets everytime this happens.

What can be the possible causes for this? I find it hard to believe that the speedometer has gone bad since it works perfectly once the car is warmed up and driven a bit. Also, battery issue seems less likely as I got a brand new battery last year. Would appreciate any suggestions for diagnosing this.
Old 6th December 2022, 09:19   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
What can be the possible causes for this? I find it hard to believe that the speedometer has gone bad since it works perfectly once the car is warmed up and driven a bit. Also, battery issue seems less likely as I got a brand new battery last year. Would appreciate any suggestions for diagnosing this.
I had to change speedometer which cost me around 4500/- . Few people in YouTube videos have claimed to have repaired speedometer but I am not sure about the reliability aspect post repairing.
Old 7th December 2022, 12:49   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Recently, the speedometer in our ~13 year old Ritz ZXI started acting up, almost like the video in the quoted post.

During the first start in the morning, on turning on the ignition, the speedometer starts flickering - see video here (before starting car). After starting the car, the flickering reduces (video after starting car) and stops completely after driving the car for a few minutes. The clock resets everytime this happens.

Hi , I had the same issue with my 10 year old Ritz before I sold it off. The authorised service center also had no clue and suspected some electrical wiring issue and tried to rectify it but to no use. Maruti cars parts do start to fall over after about 8 years. I had all suspension struts changed, ac compressor changed , clutch changed and then there was the speedometer issue .
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 16:14   #1664
BHPian

Good evening Bhpians!

My Ritz VDI has developed a new noise. It's like a murmur. I cannot hear it at low speeds, but at 60kph and up, it's clearly audible. I don't think it's the engine because the noise is still there when I'm coasting without throttle. It's certainly not the tyres because I just changed them, and the noise existed before and after the change. But it's something that's linked with the speed at which the wheels rotate. Any ideas? FYI, my car has done 158k kilometres.

Edit: After going through some earlier posts, it does sound like I have a worn wheel bearing. What do you think?

I've got a 200km drive ahead of me. Is it safe to drive the car in this condition? The noise only started about 10km ago.

Last edited by SlowRider : 9th December 2022 at 16:22. Reason: Revised to add possible diagnosis.
Old 9th December 2022, 16:54   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
But it's something that's linked with the speed at which the wheels rotate.
Bad wheel bearings, replace them
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed