Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2009, 22:03   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
what do they mean when they say leather and fabric combo?? plz explain
Well the seats are not full leather. They are a combination of leather and frabic. If you see the pics on the previous page, there are a couple of pics of the seats (that would be the 1st 2 pics on post #27). If you look carefully, you will notice the center part of the seat is fabric while the sides are leather
Hope this helps
Old 24th May 2009, 10:07   #47
BHPian

Some more pics of the safari seats
My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010624.jpgMy new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010625.jpg

door trim
My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010626.jpg

and yeah a pic with the blinkers on
My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010618.jpg
(note to self, take a pic / video of the blinkers at night )
Old 26th May 2009, 11:28   #48
BHPian

Mini update

Okay guys, here is a mini 600 Kms update.

Took delivery on the 14th and just re-fueled her yesterday with the odo showing 610. So here are my observations
1. Fuel Efficiency: 10.1 kms/liter with around 95% city driving with stop and go traffic and the Air-conditioner on all the time.
2. Issues non so far (touch wood)
Here is what I have got added / done so far
1. Floor mats and mud-guard
2. Seat covers!! . Yeah on top of the beautiful leather+fabric combination seats. I don’t plan to keep them on all the time. But we are doing the Banglore trip with our 2 dogs and from my previous experience its great to have some seat covers on. And if its raining in B’lore then God help me ‘cause they manage to make such a mess that the car will need a thorough was when I get back
3. Planning on having a luggage rack. I know it does nothing for the looks of the vehicle, but I figure I am going to need all the space available and so will need it atleast for the trip.
4. Changed the head-lamps to OSRAM night-breakers (I paid 1350/- for a pair). I know they are not supposed to last very long etc, but the OEM ones were good enough for me and I just wanted to try out these bulbs and see how much difference they make while driving, especially on the highway.
Some other issues / niggles
1. There seems to be some play in the steering, well not really play, but there seems to be a slight delay in the vehicle response when I turn the steering wheel. I am not sure if this is normal or not, but I think I will ask the service guys to take a look at it during the 1st service.
2. The switch for the rear fog lamps is a little tight – another thing that I will ask them to take a look at.
Other than that I have got a
1. Hydraulic jack
2. a puncture repair kit
3. Air compressor
Old 26th May 2009, 11:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

All the best for the trip Umang!

Can you please post few more details of the jack and compressor that you have?
Old 26th May 2009, 13:25   #50
BHPian

This looks to be a monster. Congrats for that! I am just curious will we be able to sit properly on rear most seat? Would it be a smooth travel ecspecially on long drives for those who sit there as it is just on top of the rear wheel?
Old 26th May 2009, 15:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Umang, congrats on your monster, looks superb in that colour, something different to see and looks good too.Keep updating and have a safe ride.
Old 27th May 2009, 07:25   #52
BHPian

Awesome ride Umang. I wish I drive something like that whenever I am back in my homeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Well the seats are not full leather. They are a combination of leather and frabic. If you see the pics on the previous page, there are a couple of pics of the seats (that would be the 1st 2 pics on post #27). If you look carefully, you will notice the center part of the seat is fabric while the sides are leather
Hope this helps
That, IMHO, is a great combination for the Indian Summer. I thank the smart brain behind this. What do you think about it from a comfort point of view? Also, aesthetically - how good or bad then all Leather?

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th May 2009 at 13:48. Reason: Merged on request.
Old 27th May 2009, 08:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
That, IMHO, is a great combination for the Indian Summer. I thank the smart brain behind this. What do you think about it from a comfort point of view? Also, aesthetically - how good or bad then all Leather?
Well till now its great, but the true test will be a long journey, when one has to spend say 7-8 hours at a stretch continuously in the seat.

Aesthetically they look great (to me atleast) and also I guess the fabric will breathe more, but there is nothing to beat full leather seats and interiors for snob value and in the hot Indian summers is you have an Air-con to match there is nothing like it
Old 27th May 2009, 10:55   #54
BHPian

Hi Umang,

Can you pls. tell us more about the Jack and cpmpressor you bought, pics would be great and how much did they cost?

BTW pictures of ur Safari are very neat, it looks fabulous.

Thanks

Vivek
Old 28th May 2009, 08:27   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
All the best for the trip Umang!

Can you please post few more details of the jack and compressor that you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
Hi Umang,

Can you pls. tell us more about the Jack and cpmpressor you bought, pics would be great and how much did they cost?
Vivek
Got the compressor for around 650/- and the jack for around 1000/-. Pics posted below. Details, visible in the pics, let me know if you need more details

Name:  P1010627.JPG
Views: 2195
Size:  537.2 KB

My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010628.jpg

My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010629.jpg

My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010630.jpg

My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010631.jpg

My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010632.jpg

My new Tata Safari GX - Cycus Grey + Artic Silver-p1010633.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by varriers View Post
This looks to be a monster. Congrats for that! I am just curious will we be able to sit properly on rear most seat? Would it be a smooth travel ecspecially on long drives for those who sit there as it is just on top of the rear wheel?
Well the children are usually in the last seat and the excitement of the long journey is enough to stop them from complaining , but you are right, I am not sure how comfortable it would be especially when the roads are bad. As of now on good roads its pretty comfortable.
Old 28th May 2009, 08:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the first NEW SAFARI on T-BHP. Its the one which has LED's in the rear view mirrors

Has everyone noticed? They shifted the 2.2 DICOR badge to below the side indicator from the C pillar.

Please post prices of accessories. The jack was 1,000 and the kit 600, what about the flaps and seat covers, its like education to us.

That piece of advice SHELL NORMAL HSD, is the best you will ever get

(psst psst everyone. there is a 3 SERIES lurking in the background, find it)

Last edited by TheARUN : 28th May 2009 at 08:46. Reason: addition to post
Old 28th May 2009, 12:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Well the children are usually in the last seat and the excitement of the long journey is enough to stop them from complaining , but you are right, I am not sure how comfortable it would be especially when the roads are bad. As of now on good roads its pretty comfortable.
Well, not even the Safari can provide good ride in the rear most area in bad roads. It is best for children / young adults. Shorter adults may also manage.

It would be bouncy there.

The hydraulic jack is really needed for a wheel change. You would need help to get the tyre back into the stepney mount. Have an extra piece of towel / cloth for the dirt if and when you handle the tyre.
Old 28th May 2009, 13:15   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Rearmost seats are quite uncomfy on long drives. Been there a few times!! Being the youngest has its disadvantages as well I guess!!
Also, theres quite some space available around the jump seats, I always wondered why TATA couldn't widen it a bit! I mean obviously not at the cost of the second row legroom but they sure can make the best of what is available!!

Just what I feel!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 28th May 2009 at 13:17.
Old 28th May 2009, 13:41   #59
BHPian

Congratulations Umang.

The colour does look good. Mine is Cycus Grey - EX.

Not sure how the 2 sensors will be effective. Mine has 4 (after market fitment.). So partly agree with Dadu's apprehensions here.

The alloys do look good. TM seems to have changed the design slightly over that what was available for Vx earlier.

Now go and reclaim your life.....

Edit: Just the saw the pictures of the hydraulic jack and to think that I paid Rs. 2400 (Ebay purchase !!) for something similar and that too without the carry box

BTW have you tried out the air compressor ?(You can remove some air and then fill it again)

Edit2: @ Trrk... I completly agree with you. Lifting the tyre back on to the stepney mount does need some huffing and puffing. May be if I changed over to alloys, the weight will be little less.....

Last edited by kingshukt : 28th May 2009 at 13:57.
Old 28th May 2009, 14:17   #60
Team-BHP Support

The hydraulic jack is a must have. I have jacked up the safari once, and all I can say is "never again!".

As for compressor, I suggest return it and get foot pump type. I have used such 10A compressors, and they are only useful for topup. It takes 15 minutes+ to inflate a flat tire, esp for big SUVs

Most Viewed