Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 16:09   #31
BHPian

A downshift + accelerating should do the trick. Unless of course the driver is trying his luck a bit too much. In the above mentioned situations, I would stop and wait for the signal to go green again anyways. It's better to stay safe than repent later.
Old 18th May 2009, 16:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Say you are coming up at a traffic light and it's about to go red. You tap the gas pedal and a powerful car surges ahead crossing the lights before they go amber or red. That's what I look for. The best example is on our dual lane highways when you want to quickly overtake a truck with one barelling towards you from the opposite side. Is the Linea adequate in these situations?
Both the maneuvers listed here are things that are an absolute no-no for any defensive driver (the way most people drive with their loved ones in the car). I won't delve on the reasons here because I'm sure we know them well enough.

So is the linea adequately powered ?

It all depends on your driving style. One size does not fit all - the larger engines are always welcome.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 18th May 2009 at 16:16. Reason: Punctuation
Old 18th May 2009, 16:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Power is not required to do 150kmph or 0-100 runs every time. Say you are coming up at a traffic light and it's about to go red. You tap the gas pedal and a powerful car surges ahead crossing the lights before they go amber or red. That's what I look for. The best example is on our dual lane highways when you want to quickly overtake a truck with one barelling towards you from the opposite side. Is the Linea adequate in these situations?
Linea MJD is very much adequate to do overtake.
I too personally felt and it happened many times in my trip to my native where a lot of roads are a single lane.
The car is awesome once you crossed 2500 rpm.
But it's little bit poor to overtake a car which is doing 120+ kms.
But for normal overtaking,The linea proves its power.
Old 18th May 2009, 16:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Power is not required to do 150kmph or 0-100 runs every time. Say you are coming up at a traffic light and it's about to go red. You tap the gas pedal and a powerful car surges ahead crossing the lights before they go amber or red. That's what I look for. The best example is on our dual lane highways when you want to quickly overtake a truck with one barelling towards you from the opposite side. Is the Linea adequate in these situations?
Hi Amit..

I got your point. To answer,

Slot her on 3rd gear and press the metal (@ 2500-3000 RPM). You will be surprised to see the surge and how she gallops..

Regards,
Sathya
Old 18th May 2009, 17:11   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
The Linea is adequately powered in my opinion. People are not going to go ripping at 150 km/hr daily. The power delivery at reasonable speeds (60-120 km/hr) is what matters, and the Linea does the job really well. After all, that's what you want from a good family sedan : The ability to pull itself well in bumper to bumper traffic in cities, and the ability to reach speeds of 120-130 km/hr comfortably on the highways.
that's the point. @60-120 km/hr speed, Linea definately does not lack power. But then this is highway speed band & what % of usage do we drive her on highway? For city usage in 1st & 2nd gear, Linea takes time to gather herself to take momentum.

For very simple understanding w/o too much technicalities, from a traffic signal, my Linea is taking time to pick up while some other cars go far ahead in the meantime. This never used to happen with my earlier Ford Ikon 1.3L nxt. I'm still assessing this statement as to the defense of Linea, may be when I'm getting very well used to clutch-accelerator combo, the situation may improve
Old 18th May 2009, 17:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
that's the point. @60-120 km/hr speed, Linea definately does not lack power. But then this is highway speed band & what % of usage do we drive her on highway? For city usage in 1st & 2nd gear, Linea takes time to gather herself to take momentum.

For very simple understanding w/o too much technicalities, from a traffic signal, my Linea is taking time to pick up while some other cars go far ahead in the meantime. This never used to happen with my earlier Ford Ikon 1.3L nxt. I'm still assessing this statement as to the defense of Linea, may be when I'm getting very well used to clutch-accelerator combo, the situation may improve

Yep what you said is 100% correct.
Earlier i too have some problem/Not trained in using clutch and accelerator combo.Felt even slower than my LPG Fitted WagonR.
Now i used to and keep the pace of other cars even i overtake others very easily
Old 18th May 2009, 17:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Power is not required to do 150kmph or 0-100 runs every time. Say you are coming up at a traffic light and it's about to go red. You tap the gas pedal and a powerful car surges ahead crossing the lights before they go amber or red. That's what I look for. The best example is on our dual lane highways when you want to quickly overtake a truck with one barelling towards you from the opposite side. Is the Linea adequate in these situations? 18th May 2009 16:01
I would definitely use my descretion to take a decision on this amit. For a conservative driver that i am, i would definitely stop the car in this first situation. And in the second situation i would calculate whether i can do the same job with minimum risk and then attempt it. But in both cases i wouldnt say linea is not capable. But i have not assessed my linea on that front. I will try to use the next oppurtunity to try if possible with minimum risk .
Old 18th May 2009, 17:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Sathya, that's one beautiful looking car. Does looks like a Corolla segment car. I heard Linea is available in white now. Did you see any white ones in the showroom or the yard?
Old 18th May 2009, 17:49   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I would want some inputs. I am not sure whether I am making a mistake.

I crank the engine immediately after turning the key to "ON" position. Is this habit right? or should I wait for some seconds before I crank the engine. May be after some of the lights in the console (esp the triangle light at the top) goes off.

Would be great if someone can clarify.

Regards,
Sathya
Can someone pls help me on this?

Regards,
Sathya
Old 18th May 2009, 19:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Nobody seems to have noticed your query.

Since I am unfamiliar with the Linea dashboard, I can only suggest. There should be an indicator with 'spring' image. This should go off before you crank. This is the usual diesel way.

I would suggest a read throught he manual about the other indicators and significance.
Old 18th May 2009, 19:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
GC is definitely an issues even with only me in the car.. But changing the driving habits helps (coming to a dead stop and then taking over humps/potholes). I am still getting used to it buddy. Hope I master it.
I am personally dissappointed on this GC issue - my Siena has been driven on absolute rubbish broken roads & yet with 5 people+ luggage it just swallows the potholes

Would have loved the Linea to have the same robust over-engineered chassis - arent the Fiat cars coming to India supposed to be designed for 3rd world country roads ?? ( I assumed the current Linea chassis to be a robust one tested in South America )
Old 18th May 2009, 19:40   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Guys - I think you're misreading Amit's statement here. If I'm not wrong, he is trying to drive a point thro' a simpler situational representation & not asking anyone to take risk. May be the situation he mentioned is causing the confusion.

Check out my post below for another example. When I'm waiting at traffic signal & the light goes green, Linea is taking a bit longer to gather momentum by that time a few cars surge ahead. This never used to happen with my Ford Ikon 1.3L nxt (same route, same traffic, same travel timings). And Ikon 1.3 is never considered a powerful engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post

Old 18th May 2009, 21:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Sathya, that's one beautiful looking car. Does looks like a Corolla segment car. I heard Linea is available in white now. Did you see any white ones in the showroom or the yard?
I saw the white ones.. They are kind of "off-white" or a mild ivory.. They look gorgeous... But available only in Emotion variant...

Regards,
Sathya
Old 18th May 2009, 22:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crank up the engine after the dash lights goes off. The ECU/ABS needs time to get initialised.
Old 19th May 2009, 00:02   #45
BHPian

Nice pics. Very good looking car. Admiration will truely be guaranteed. And silver colour will stand the test of time better than other ones.
I have test driven a petrol linea. The whole issue of lack of power has been blwon out of proportion. Its a great car, and does what it should do adequately well. I'm sure none of the linea owners will ever regret going for it.
Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks