Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 00:56   #16
BHPian

Did you guys notice that the sunroof is missing this time on the L&K version compared to the outgoing car?! But auto tilt mirrors seems like a useful small feature. Had really liked it when I first used it on the 530d.

And Skoda haven't even given paddle shifts with the L&K.
Was hoping they would have provided this since they did with the Superb!

On the whole the L&K is quite a feature rich package, but at the same time I too think that Skoda could have launched the TSI in an Elegance trim. That would have really given the Honda and Toyota buyers a feature rich option to consider (with that gem of an engine) albeit at a slightly higher price.

Really looking forward to drive the 2.0 TDI now. But I sincerely hope that their attitude changes toward the Indian customer.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
1.8TSi would have been a perfect replacement to the vRS. Instead skoda screws it up once again by launching the petrol only in Ambiente trim.
If you analyse, you will know that Skoda discontinued the vRS because it was NOT selling enough.

Quote:
Lets face it anyone buying the petrol 1.8TSi laura is not going to buy it for it's mileage. That guy is going to buy it for the performance. 160bhp and 6 speed manual. The guy is going to want the car for the performance and ofcourse he will expect features and will not mind paying a premium for it.
Look at the compitition and tell me what it lacks over them in terms of features. Do you really think Civic MT offers more goodies than the 1.8 Laura.

Quote:
Skoda has got it all wrong. An amazing petrol engine on a good chasis but no features. The car has no climate control, no xenons, no electric seats, no leather, piddly 195/15" tyres, lesser spec multi function display, no parktronic and a host of other stuff missing.
You will thank Skoda for not putting Xenons on the car if and when you were to replace them due to an unforeseen incident. Besides not everyone wants them if it converts to price reduction. Leather, tyres and park sensors are all available easily in aftermarket.

Quote:
This car should have been available in L&K trim and with the 6 speed manual as well as 7speed DSG.
Dreams unlimited. Still, the Superb is there for you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I suppose Skoda plans to see the how the response to sale is of 1.8TSI and than may be latter sometime in future launch the Elegance model with all the bells and whistles.
The motor is a gem though. Producing a healthy 255NM of torque at 1500rpm. How many petrol can do that. At the same time give a decent mileage.
I feel they should have atleast given the Xenons and climatetronic AC, and it does come with parktronic sensor at rear.
Elegance would make sense. No xenons is great as it helps reduce price.

Quote:
I feel spending 5Lakhs more over this and getting a superb is much worth it. You get all bells and whistles not present in the laura, along with awesome 7 speed DSG gearbox with paddle shift, acres of legroom comfort, looks more classy, all safety features.
Its always that way. Similarly, one could buy the E over C and 5 over 3.

Last edited by dipen : 24th May 2009 at 08:24.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I suppose Skoda plans to see the how the response to sale is of 1.8TSI and than may be latter sometime in future launch the Elegance model with all the bells and whistles.
The motor is a gem though. Producing a healthy 255NM of torque at 1500rpm. How many petrol can do that. At the same time give a decent mileage.
I feel they should have atleast given the Xenons and climatetronic AC, and it does come with parktronic sensor at rear.

I feel spending 5Lakhs more over this and getting a superb is much worth it. You get all bells and whistles not present in the laura, along with awesome 7 speed DSG gearbox with paddle shift, acres of legroom comfort, looks more classy, all safety features.

For a true speed junkie laura should be doing the trick as many upgrade options to be available in future and it comes along with 6 speed manual gearbox. With easy turbo upgrade, remap, FFE, one can easily achieve 250bhp+ and that fantastic chassis. What more can one ask for.
I fail to see the logic in you statement. Of course, spending 5ish Lakhs more is going to get you a Superb. Going by your logic, everyone would be driving around in a Superb.
Coming back to the Laura, it is missing leather and auto aircon vis-a-vis the similarly priced Honda Civic but it has a few other features that the Honda doesn't. Those 2 features aren't a deal breaker IMO. The Skoda, on the other hand is a Euro sedan with an engine that's in another league. For me, the only reason to buy Japanese over this would be the iffy reliability and crappy service of Skoda. Then again, my folks in Hyderabad own an Octavia which has been pretty reliable except for premature clutch wear. The service from Mahavir in Hyderabad is excellent from what I've heard, although I haven't heard good things about the Laura's reliability. Last time I spoke to my old man, he told me there's 120,000 km on the Odo without a rattle or squeak from the car. This is in just under 3 years. Also, the car spends most of its time on the highway and rural areas.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

You cannot compare an Octavia to a Laura. The latter took takes as many steps backwards in the reliability front as it takes forwards in terms of toys.

The higher variants of the new Laura looks very nicely loaded with a price tag to match. I think Skoda is going the proper Euro way with variants. You can spec up a 3 series to match the price of an entry level 5 series (abroad). If people started choosing cars for their size and not their price tag, the Laura lineup makes sense.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

is it confirmed the 1.8 has traction control as seen in the pdf provided or its a typo.
if so i think to accommodate the traction control skoda cut short on some of the goodies
Old 24th May 2009, 10:07   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
If you analyse, you will know that Skoda discontinued the vRS because it was NOT selling enough.
Also because it was not very reliable. If you also see they stopped the vRS but lauched the 1.8TPi ambiente trim. Whatever sales they had due to the RS also went away thanks to this move. Noone wanted to pay 13-14L for a stripped down Skoda Petrol only for it's engine.

Quote:
Look at the compitition and tell me what it lacks over them in terms of features. Do you really think Civic MT offers more goodies than the 1.8 Laura.
Maybe not the Civic, but the Corolla Altis has xenons, climate control, electric seats, leather seats, folding mirrors and a few other stuff extra over the Laura. The Laura has traction control, rear parktronic and rain sensing wiper's extra.

Quote:
You will thank Skoda for not putting Xenons on the car if and when you were to replace them due to an unforeseen incident. Besides not everyone wants them if it converts to price reduction. Leather, tyres and park sensors are all available easily in aftermarket.
Skoda sells the xenon ballasts at a premium. Actually they are not that expensive aftermarket. Moreover the headlamps is a projector setup which is more expensive and is designed for xenon bulbs.

Quote:
Dreams unlimited. Still, the Superb is there for you .
Superb yes but it's more a luxo barge than a enthusiasts mid sizer.

Quote:
Elegance would make sense. No xenons is great as it helps reduce price.
If you see the trim levels, the Elegance is an even more waste of money. Over the Ambiente it offers 16" alloys, heated seats (???), dual zone climate control, leather seats and electrically foldable mirrors. I this it was 1L more than the Ambiente.
Old 24th May 2009, 17:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

I don't get this general opinion that cutting features off to save you money is good.

Sure, lets sell an Octavia Mk2 with the body shell, four wheels, an engine and drivetrain, period for... 5 lakhs. Will you buy that or a Swift which has a roof so you don't get wet in the rain? I mean come on, it will rain for mostly two months in a year, so the former is more VFM cuz the engine has a hundred more horsepower and it handles really well.
Old 24th May 2009, 23:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

will this come soon enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura 1.8TSI test drive-013.jpg  

Skoda Laura 1.8TSI test drive-014.jpg  

Old 25th May 2009, 00:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see 3 engines. Skoda India finally has a true L&K unlike the outgoing Laura where the L&K was a spruced up Elegance.

I would have liked the L&K with a manual option. The 2.0 litre developing that prodigious torque at 1750 rpm sounds good.

I hate those faux wood inserts, the older carbon finish looked real unlike the fake wood which, well, looks fake.

The Petrol engine sounds promising. The stripped version at lower cost is perhaps aimed at the entusiasts who would in any case 'mod' it - therefore appreciating the lower price. A works RS would be nice.

I have had my Laura for just over 2 years now and have had no issues with the A.S.C., as someone else has pointed out here, Mahavir is good. I also have a good independent to look after the car (now that the warranty has run out).

Cheers,
Old 25th May 2009, 06:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

the yellow VRS looks Delicious!! Im sure the Vrs body kit for the laura will sell like hot cakes.
Old 25th May 2009, 06:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
the yellow VRS looks Delicious!! Im sure the Vrs body kit for the laura will sell like hot cakes.
They won't sell the body kit till they start selling the actual car AFAIK
Old 25th May 2009, 11:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Im sure the Vrs body kit for the laura will sell like hot cakes.
Problem with Skoda is that the body kit will probably cost 8 lakhs!
Old 27th May 2009, 00:38   #28
BHPian

OTR Mumbai Laura 2.0 L&K costs 20.04 Lakhs! Think its a little more expensive than I thought it would be.

But I think the deal breaker is the TSI - 14.83 Lakh OTR Mumbai
Old 27th May 2009, 07:31   #29

TSI ballistic!

TSI does 0-60 kph in 3.8 sec. A4 3.2 FSI is slower at 4 sec!
And it gets better...0-100 kph in 8.2 sec!!
That bests the 325i's time of 9 sec

And it's half in price to the above two and has twice the fuel efficiency
Old 27th May 2009, 10:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think the makeover makes the Laura look more streamlined , though my photos may not convey it accurately and like the rework of the interior, especially. I was also told that beginning next year, Skoda will have it's own India based parts supplier, which will bring the cost of serviving down, supposedly. Hope everything works out for Skoda. I would definitely add this car to my "to buy" list!.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura 1.8TSI test drive-chennai-134-large.jpg  

Skoda Laura 1.8TSI test drive-chennai-136-large.jpg  

Skoda Laura 1.8TSI test drive-chennai-137-large.jpg  

Last edited by nickatnite : 27th May 2009 at 11:11.

Most Viewed