Team-BHP - Skoda Laura 1.8TSI test drive
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Skoda Laura 1.8TSI test drive (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/59136-skoda-laura-1-8tsi-test-drive.html)

Hey Guys just drove Laura 1.8 TSI, here are my thoughts, I am in office so I will try to sum it up in short.

Looks (4/5): Well the looks are subjective, but I like the new better than the old, the back hasn't changed a lot except for TSI badging at the left.

Engine & Performance(5/5):
WOW is the only word I can say this motor is amazing it breaks away from zero like a breeze, a bit if initial lag though but hey, I ain't complaining. Very refined, never lost steam however hard I tried. My friend who owns a civic the moment he pressed the accelerator said "much better than the civic". The best part is it pulls very well even in 3rd from 20, owing to the fact that all the torque is delivered at very low RPM of 1500.

Ride and Handling(4/5): decent Ride, not as good as Civic or Linea but very close, i sat in the backseat for 5 minutes as well and no complaints. Handling like all skodas, awesome, no understeer or oversteer, the steering feedback is good, though the steering is on the lighter side.

VFM (3/5): Now here is the bad part, the website and the ad mentions a lot of features, but guess what most of them are missing from the 1.8 TSI model, here is a list.
I guess, I should have given it 2/5 because for 13.9 on road price I would get good features in both Corolla and Civic, that are almost 90K less.

Will elaborate more on driving etc when I have time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj.barcode (Post 1316127)
The pricing looks absolute killer ( looks too) and this with probably better A.S.S the car should be able to give Civic a run for its sales.

P.S I own a skoda for 2 years but never experienced any problem in service, probably lucky me :)

most skoda owners in bangalore are kinda problem free :D where did you get your skoda from? tafe or vinayak

@abhim did you notice the mileage on the trip computer? what was it giving in our conditions.

Just came across 1.8 TSI engined Laura. Oh my god, such an amazing engine and nothing else in the car! I would rather buy a loaded and cheaper Civic.

Why Skoda again went wrong with this, couldnt they have just given:
Petrol Ambiente, Petrol L&K (Manual)
Diesel Ambiente, Diesel L&K (Automatic)

and then an year or two down the line probably an RS version (of petrol and diesel) at a premium.

I would have paid a Lac more for a better loaded car. Those small tyres and 'featureless' car not doing any justice to the amazing TFSI engine! Disappointed!

New Laura is going to be a success story, suddenly Corolla/Civic have been paled down!
Surprising to see that performance freaks are demanding features, if sports car came with them!

Well, the current Octavia TPi is identical to the vRS except for a lot of luxury features (sunroof?). I don't see all the enthusiasts rushing over to buy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhim23 (Post 1316130)

VFM (3/5): Now here is the bad part, the website and the ad mentions a lot of features, but guess what most of them are missing from the 1.8 TSI model, here is a list.
  • No touch screen infotainment central console as advertised, just a simple single CD Changer.
  • 2 Airbags
  • turn indicators on ORVMs
  • ABS and ASR, the exec said everything is present as advertise, dunno if he was right.
  • No electrically adjusted seats (not even expected).
  • cooled glove box and driver armrest box (this the executive said, I didn't check it, so don't blame me later :))
  • projector headlamps, no curve and adjustment like the superb.
  • Remote control fully functional as advertised.
  • 4 speakers and 4 tweeters
  • dunno if climate control was present, forgot to ask.
  • No audio control/cruise control on steering wheels.
I guess, I should have given it 2/5 because for 13.9 on road price I would get good features in both Corolla and Civic, that are almost 90K less.

Will elaborate more on driving etc when I have time.

Wow, not quite being honest with their advertising, are they? Sounds like you drove a stripped down basic version (although why they would send a car like that for a TD, I have no idea). I assume they're putting all their goodies into the Diesel, because they expect that to be the main seller

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaydas (Post 1316275)
@abhim did you notice the mileage on the trip computer? what was it giving in our conditions.

No Vinay I did not, but the exec said it is 10+ and mentioned that Skoda is claiming 14 as FE.
The post has been moved here though,if anyone is interested.
test drive - Laura 1.8 TSI

BTW, I am driving Honda Civic 1.8V, auto today, I have to replace my aging Palio by June.

Quote:

Originally Posted by f450 (Post 1316692)
Wow, not quite being honest with their advertising, are they? Sounds like you drove a stripped down basic version (although why they would send a car like that for a TD, I have no idea). I assume they're putting all their goodies into the Diesel, because they expect that to be the main seller

That is right, the 1.8 TSI is only available is Ambient trim there is no other model in 1.8 TSI petrol and I had specifically asked for it as I do not like the noisy PD engines of skoda, maybe if/when they will shift to common rail I will take a look.

Went and took a look at the "new" 'Laura' yesterday. Can't say I like the look of it, personally. It reminds me of the Hyundai Sonata with those wrap around head lights. It is nice, though, to see that Skoda have offered the 'smaller' car with engines from the 'bigger' car and loaded it full of features for those with the money! For that I applaud Skoda.

The laura now comes in several variants to suit different buyers and their budgets. They might as well give a vRS or L&K DSG 1.8Tpi.

The car is not cheap. The 2 all new variants come at a hefty premium.

The petrol 1.8TSI Ambiente with no features costs Rs. 15.7L on road bangalore.

The 2.0TDI PD diesel in L&K trim with 6 speed DSG costs Rs. 21.22L on road bangalore.

any idea if the 1.8 engine has been tweaked ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddartha (Post 1317099)
any idea if the 1.8 engine has been tweaked ?

Bob, this is the new 1.8TFSI engine from the superb. Direct injection turbo petrol. 160bhp and 255NM of torque. This also has a 6 speed manual transmission.

No timing belt, only timing chain bob.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1317104)
Bob, this is the new 1.8TFSI engine from the superb. Direct injection turbo petrol. 160bhp and 255NM of torque. This also has a 6 speed manual transmission.

No timing belt, only timing chain bob.

thanks for the info bob.

and what abt the water pump bob?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaydas (Post 1316275)
most skoda owners in bangalore are kinda problem free :D

I am not sure that's correct. Till Vinayak was there, most faced big problems since TAFE is, probably, the worst car dealer in India! Hell, I know of several people who didn't buy Skoda simply due to TAFE pre-sales...