Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 14:20   #16
BHPian

worth the wait, mate!! got mine about a month back, and loving her to bits!!! :-)
Old 11th June 2009, 15:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Seems like THE perfect car, doesn't it? Adequately powered, good precise gearing, great suspension, great handling, refined engine, good sound insulation, loaded with features, roomy, great GC et al. Now only if it could cook.......

What is the on-road price you are expecting to pay dude?
It will be 6.4 on road Pune registration with 3rd year extended warranty (3.5 thousand approx). The company provided 2 year unlimited kms within the price already.
Old 11th June 2009, 15:34   #18
BHPian

Forgot to mention, it has got 5 stars in NCAP test in Europe, thanks to the six airbags, I have ordered only 2 though. And the boon is, you have a switch to deactivate/activate the passenger airbag, so it does not get inflated unnecessarily, and it will help if you have a baby and you need put the car seat in the front.
Old 12th June 2009, 10:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the boon is, you have a switch to deactivate/activate the passenger airbag, so it does not get inflated unnecessarily, and it will help if you have a baby and you need put the car seat in the front.
Best avoided for infants and small kids. It's recommended to use rear facing car seats (mainly for infants) on rear seats only.

Don't understand why Hyundai has allowed a switch for enable/disable of airbags. Does accident give a warning in advance to enable a safety device?
Old 12th June 2009, 10:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Best avoided for infants and small kids. It's recommended to use rear facing car seats (mainly for infants) on rear seats only.

Don't understand why Hyundai has allowed a switch for enable/disable of airbags. Does accident give a warning in advance to enable a safety device?
I think the switch is to be used when there is no-one in the co-driver seat. Deployed airbag costs a lot to be replaced.
Old 12th June 2009, 11:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
I think the switch is to be used when there is no-one in the co-driver seat. Deployed airbag costs a lot to be replaced.
also for a parked car if some other car comes and bangs into it, will the airbags deploy?? If yes then its a waste and might as well turn off the airbags when the car is parked or no one is sitting in passenger seat , just my logic
Old 12th June 2009, 11:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
I have been told it will return 14 to 16 kmpl in city depending on driving, traffic etc.
Not really mate !! This car will not give you more than 10 - 12 kpl. And that IS a very good average considering petrols from Hyundai are not exactly FE !! I know as I have owned 6 Hyundai's till date

Quote:
AC does not impact the engine performance.
Absolutely Right. In Fact the i20 or all Hyundai's have the best AC amongst all its rivals. The AC is too good.

Quote:
The seats are great, specially the driver seat is very comfortable, and height adjustment work fine.
The drivers seat is indeed very very comfy. Even a person like me who is big, found this car to be very comfortable.

Quote:
All alloys, and the 5th wheel is also alloy, which most car maker do not give.
That is the good thing with Hyundai, they do not cut down on stuff unlike other car makers. Look at Jazz priced exorbitantly and still leaving alloys.

OVERALL - this car is a fantastic option and now looking at Skoda's reputation in India and Honda getting the prices completely wrong, this car is the only true blue Hatch in our country this side of the Swift !

The i20's only disadvantage I feel is the engine which could have been a 1.4 ( if not, at least optional at a plus of 50k ).

But nevertheless looking at the equipment they are offering and the quality of Hyundai cars, you cannot ask for more at 6 lacs or so. In Delhi / NCR the same model costs 6.1 Lacs OTR - after a few discounts.

Make sure you get Insurance free. I think they are offering this on the i20. Also a 10k loyalty bonus if you have oowned / own a Hyundai ever.

Looking forward to a detailed review from you on ownership and loads of Pics.

Last edited by vkochar : 12th June 2009 at 11:30.
Old 12th June 2009, 13:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Not really mate !! This car will not give you more than 10 - 12 kpl. And that IS a very good average considering petrols from Hyundai are not exactly FE !! I know as I have owned 6 Hyundai's till date.
Vkochar,

I am getting 11.65kmpl with full time AC in city even before my first service. The mileage should improve to around 13 atleast after first service.
This mileage could be because, I don't drive in severe traffic & also could be to my sedate driving style.
Old 12th June 2009, 13:22   #24
BHPian

Well, I had gone to Hyundai showroom yesterday but there was no i20 available there for display and they didn't even have one for test ride. Some salesperson took it for a long drive (perhaps for his personal use) and was gone for an hour. But the guy out there promised me that he'd call up for a test drive today and more interestingly, he mentioned that i20 diesel might get launched in a month or lesser!

I am going to wait till I see i20 diesel and its pricing; though i20 looks a much better bet now after Jazz. It would be great if I can get i20 Diesel Asta for under 7L. It will be a decision between GP and i20 then. If both disappoint me, it will be even longer wait till I save enough money for Linea. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12th June 2009, 14:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I had gone to Hyundai showroom yesterday but there was no i20 available there for display and they didn't even have one for test ride.
Diesel was not my priority, hence did not consider that. But that is interesting indeed that they did not have a car for test drive!

The airbag switch is to avoid unintended use, can someone tell me what is the cost of replacement? It is better to pay for replacement rather than paying doctor for a body injury of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala_R View Post
Vkochar,

I am getting 11.65kmpl with full time AC in city even before my first service. The mileage should improve to around 13 atleast after first service.
This mileage could be because, I don't drive in severe traffic & also could be to my sedate driving style.
What all discounts did you get? Congrats for the new car Sir :-)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th June 2009 at 14:44. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 12th June 2009, 15:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For these reasons buddy -

1. Tata Service for FIAT not yet at that level to handle a highly refined car like Punto (entirely my opinion)
2. Hyundai has a better resale value in India, and if their track record is anything to go by, they are doing a fantastic job and still on the rising path.
3. i20 is made in India, sold in Europe, so expect the quality to be top notch. Punto is opposite or made in India & sold in India, so some detuning can be expected.
4. I was confident about the purchase and quality once I had a look and had a feel, it suited my driving style and parameters perfectly.
5. The boot is 295 litres, what matters more is the shape and depth and not just volume, it scored there.
congrats on your sensible purchase of i20. and good to see the points taken into consideration by you before making your purchase.

will wait to see ownership experience by you in this thread.
Old 12th June 2009, 16:25   #27
BHPian

The salesperson just came to my office for a test drive of i20 and I took it to chandani chowk here to test if we can climb that steep hill sharply. There were 3 adults in i20 and car was just struggling to climb up in third (or even second gear) when I completely floored the accelerator. When I took it for a small stretch on express highway (stright road, no steep hills) adn floored the accelerator in 5th gear, it was stuck at 70 kmph and took very long time to climb til 85 kmph. Very sluggish and it was almost difficult for me to oevertake any vehicle. Not my style of car with this engine, I will try it with new 1.4 diesel engine if it indeed gets launched by this month end. Hyundai i20 with 1.2 petrol engine is really underpowered, and I am not a very fast driver but I need power in city to overtake others, and to climb small steep hiil of Chandani chowk everyday without fuss, and when trucks passing by block my way, I need power to quickly overtake them.

Otherwise, I found i20 Asta fully loaded, it's awesome. The gerbox is pure joy and ride quality is realy good. Just that I din't like the seat covers, but they can be replaced easily in 5-6k. Not a problem! Bring on i20 1.4 diesel soon and price it sensibly please!

Shyamtanu - sine you're in Pune, I am just curious to know from where did you purchase your i20?

Last edited by manish7 : 12th June 2009 at 16:26.
Old 12th June 2009, 17:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The salesperson just came to my office for a test drive of i20 and I took it to chandani chowk here to test if we can climb that steep hill sharply. There were 3 adults in i20 and car was just struggling to climb up in third (or even second gear) when I completely floored the accelerator. Shyamtanu - sine you're in Pune, I am just curious to know from where did you purchase your i20?
Must be some issues with the car, I drove 2 cars, and I could zoom past 90 without any hitches with 4 people with AC on. In fact, I did not feel the need to switch to 5th before 80-90, it is that good.

About dearship, booked through Kundan, but they are saying no discounts :-( checking with Hyundai why should I not get any corporate discounts, since they are offering same to my colleagues on i10.

The colour is metallic gray.
Old 12th June 2009, 18:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
And it has got knock sensor, which kind of controls the petrol flow, when the rpm goes low..
Hi Shyam, its nice to know the i20's engine's got a knock sensor. As far as I know, knock sensors don't control fuel flow, they're basically peizoelectric sensors used by the ECU to "listen" for pinging. The ECU retards spark advance on onset of knock...

P.S. "Lugging" an engine, i.e. being in too high a gear for a given speed, is not knock.
Old 12th June 2009, 20:24   #30
BHPian

Shyamtanu,

Congrats on your purchase. Looks like a great package. Seems complete VFM (especially after the Jazz launch).

Regarding discounts, one might get discounts if GP is priced very competitively. And again, I'm pretty sure the diesel i20 is round the corner given that the 1.3 MJD GP is expected to be pretty popular.

Most Viewed