Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2009, 14:25   #1
BANNED

Replacement for Activa-Maruti Suzuki Alto?

The time has come to buy a new car for myself. I have been driving for a while now. First dad's 800, Wagon R & Verna and now husbands Petra 1.6. Also used a Palio 1.2 for a while. After driving the Verna, Petra & Palio, I realised what I was missing with Maruti. Now I also use an Activa for the trips to the market and other small odd jobs like paying bills etc. With the monsoons almost full swing now, the Activa won't be used much. I don't want to use the Petra because inspite being so much fun to drive, sometimes parking becomes an issue. Now we're not looking to replace the Petra. I want a small car to replace the Activa. The car had to be small, fuel efficient and not too expensive. Also the AC usage will be 100%. Initially considered the Spark. But found it was not very frugal and also with the problems at GM decided against it. Next was the i10. Lovely car, but overpriced. Also read about the FE problems with the Kappa. Next was the Maruti group of 800/Alto/Estilo/Wagon R/A-Star.
800: Too old and pathetic quality.
Alto: Almost perfect for me but sluggish with the AC.
Estilo: Again almost perfect but bad FE (Wagon R Engine).
Wagon R: Bread box with a bad engine.
A Star: Liked it but a bit expensive and don't know whether it will be fuel efficient.

Based on this I think the Alto is the most suitable. I like the Bright Red colour. Planning to take a loan from SBI. Price is 3.12 Lakhs with an 18K offer which I want to use for Insurance and Road Tax. Additional items will be body coloured bumpers and Zen mirrors. No teflon, under body coating and cavity treatment. ICE will be the Pioneer from the Petra (Petra will be getting the Blaupunkt). Phase II in December will be 13" Alloys (Accelere) and Michelin tyres, Power windows, Central Locking and if budget permits a FFE, Performance Filter (K&N/Green Cotton/Ractive) and maybe a little tweak to the ECU.

Waiting for confirmation of the loan and to see how much more (than 18K), I can squeeze from the Maruti guys.
Old 21st June 2009, 15:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

My views are alongside your opinions on the cars you shortlisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
The car had to be small, fuel efficient and not too expensive. Also the AC usage will be 100%.
800: Too old and pathetic quality - agreed
Estilo: Again almost perfect but bad FE (Wagon R Engine).the FE is good
Wagon R: Bread box with a bad engine - who said bad engine?
A Star: Liked it but a bit expensive and don't know whether it will be fuel efficient - the BEST BUY for you today - low on Maintenance Cost,most fuel efficient,and most important of all ,the best of Technology which will stand you in good stead.It is a stunner on the road as well

Based on this I think the Alto is the most suitable. I like the Bright Red colour. Planning to take a loan from SBI. Price is 3.12 Lakhs with an 18K offer which I want to use for Insurance and Road Tax. Additional items will be body coloured bumpers and Zen mirrors. No teflon, under body coating and cavity treatment. ICE will be the Pioneer from the Petra (Petra will be getting the Blaupunkt). Phase II in December will be 13" Alloys (Accelere) and Michelin tyres, Power windows, Central Locking and if budget permits a FFE, Performance Filter (K&N/Green Cotton/Ractive) and maybe a little tweak to the ECU.

Waiting for confirmation of the loan and to see how much more (than 18K), I can squeeze from the Maruti guys.
Old 21st June 2009, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dunno but I find the A-Star ghastly... i would never want to be seen in that thing. Unfortunately looking at your requirements and since spark is already out, A-Star fits the bill perfectly.
Old 21st June 2009, 15:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

A-Star is totally ghastly in looks.

Why not consider a used Palio 1.2 - you'll get it throwaway prices. I reckon your usage is anyways not much - why spend 3L, when you can get stuff in 1L or lesser?

New Santro maybe? Its a fantastic car and known to give awesome FE.

Even a used spark maybe - good time to buy one on the cheap!
Old 21st June 2009, 15:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

The bright Red Alto with the mirrors and wheels are a good buy. You cant go wrong with this. leave the windows clean and have a normal punched plate. Use it till it lasts. VFM
Old 21st June 2009, 15:51   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
My views are alongside your opinions on the cars you shortlisted
The car had to be small, fuel efficient and not too expensive. Also the AC usage will be 100%.
800: Too old and pathetic quality - agreed
A Star: Liked it but a bit expensive and don't know whether it will be fuel efficient - the BEST BUY for you today - low on Maintenance Cost,most fuel efficient,and most important of all ,the best of Technology which will stand you in good stead.It is a stunner on the road as well
I have a Wagon R and it gives 12-13 Kmpl. The power is not much too. So if I have to compromise on power, I need milege, which is there in the Alto. The 1.1 engine is the 800 with and extra cylinder. Nothing good about it except that the 800 in the Alto is frugal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Dunno but I find the A-Star ghastly... i would never want to be seen in that thing. Unfortunately looking at your requirements and since spark is already out, A-Star fits the bill perfectly.
Yea but budget does not permit it. It costs a lakh more than the Alto. Also how much milege are people getting on the A-Star. I've seen some A-Stars at True value. So I guess people are not too happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not consider a used Palio 1.2 - you'll get it throwaway prices. I reckon your usage is anyways not much - why spend 3L, when you can get stuff in 1L or lesser?
New Santro maybe? Its a fantastic car and known to give awesome FE.
Even a used spark maybe - good time to buy one on the cheap!
I actually like the looks of the A-Star. There is a Palio in the family, which I use sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The bright Red Alto with the mirrors and wheels are a good buy. You cant go wrong with this. leave the windows clean and have a normal punched plate. Use it till it lasts. VFM
I'm planning to put some transparent film like 3M or Llumar as I don't like dark windows. As for the plates, it's going to be the High Security ones.
Old 21st June 2009, 17:55   #7
BHPian

What I like most about my Activa is that it has Automatic gears and is very smooth. If I have to replace the Activa, and face the same riding conditions, I would really like to replace with the i10 automatic. Just my opinion
Old 21st June 2009, 18:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
What I like most about my Activa is that it has Automatic gears and is very smooth. If I have to replace the Activa, and face the same riding conditions, I would really like to replace with the i10 automatic. Just my opinion
But the i10 returns a milege of 5-6 Kmpl. See the thread by Tejas. I would not want such a guzzler. Maybe the A-Star AXi will be an option when launched.
Old 21st June 2009, 19:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think the Spark is worth a second look. The FE will be marginally lesser than an Alto.

Is FE so important for running around to the market?
Old 21st June 2009, 19:25   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think the Spark is worth a second look. The FE will be marginally lesser than an Alto.
Is FE so important for running around to the market?
FE is not so important, but if I can get it, why not. I would consider the Spark, but now they have discontinued the Bright Red. I want it in this colour only. Also I don't want to take a risk with GM at this time.
Old 21st June 2009, 19:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Dunno but I find the A-Star ghastly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Please remember before making comments like these that looks are very subjective. For example there are people who find even a Fiat Punto ugly, at the same time there are so many admirers as well. So lets not get into cheap stuff.

Personally, more than the looks its the highly unpractical nature of A-Star which puts me off. At that price there are so many better options available.

Quote:
I have a Wagon R and it gives 12-13 Kmpl. The power is not much too. So if I have to compromise on power, I need milege, which is there in the Alto.
12-13 kmpl from a 1.1 L engine is not that bad at all. Alto would give only about 1 kmpl more.
If you are so much worried about FE, get a Maruti 800.

Though Alto is a good compromise between build and FE compared to 800.

Last edited by DCEite : 21st June 2009 at 19:36.
Old 21st June 2009, 19:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

I would say A-star or the Spark. WagonR and Alto are far too old now. Moreover they will receive new engines next year so does not make sense getting one now.
Old 21st June 2009, 19:44   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
12-13 kmpl from a 1.1 L engine is not that bad at all. Alto would give only about 1 kmpl more. If you are so much worried about FE, get a Maruti 800.
Though Alto is a good compromise between build and FE compared to 800.
We get 13 Kmpl on our Petra 1.6 in addition to the 100 BHP. That means [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]12-13 from the Wagon R (or for that matter the i10) is pathetic. The Alto gives at least 16 Kmpl. Tell me who is not worried about FE? Does it mean everyone should go in for the 800?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I would say A-star or the Spark. WagonR and Alto are far too old now. Moreover they will receive new engines next year so does not make sense getting one now.
The Alto & Wagon R are not receiving new engines, just engine upgrades to comply with new regulations.
Old 21st June 2009, 21:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=Furious55;1356179]
I have a Wagon R and it gives 12-13 Kmpl. The power is not much too. So if I have to compromise on power, I need milege, which is there in the Alto. The 1.1 engine is the 800 with and extra cylinder. Nothing good about it except that the 800 in the Alto is frugal.

Also how much milege are people getting on the A-Star. I've seen some A-Stars at True value. So I guess people are not too happy with it.

I actually like the looks of the A-Star.

quote]
If you like the looks of the A-Star,go for it;except for some poor rear space and a "kutty" boot,the car's great - low cost of spares(read AUTOCAR INDIA's spare parts review),super reliable,future ready,etc,etc.

Also,seeing cars at TRUE VALUE does not mean people are not happy
Old 21st June 2009, 21:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
If you like the looks of the A-Star,go for it;except for some poor rear space and a "kutty" boot,the car's great - low cost of spares(read AUTOCAR INDIA's spare parts review),super reliable,future ready,etc,etc.
Also,seeing cars at TRUE VALUE does not mean people are not happy
It's a very new car. Why would someone sell so early? Raises a lot of doubts. Even if the sale is for some other reason, the first thing that come to your mind is "There must be some problem".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks