Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 14:03   #481
BHPian

Jack, No doubt XM1+ is great tyre but I suggest you to do bit research on Yokohama tyres as well. I understand they are VFM and price wise less in comparison to Michelin but its considered as competitor to Michelin.

Long back I had deal for XM1+ and at that time I was not aware of Yoko so that's why I dropped the idea about Yoko. (Just keep it as alternate option as you never know it may impress you)
Old 1st October 2009, 20:20   #482
Senior - BHPian

My ICE hunt has officially started !

Now I am caught in the 'ICE search' stage which I expect to decide by October end. Different brands are considered, auditions requested to other ICE kings of our forum, and this time I dont want to compromise on quality.

First of all I thank LionX (Sumith) for being my first host of ICE demo. It was a good experience and I could make up my mind that I should stick to a Component + 4 channel Amp + Sub combination, avoiding the rear completely. Inspiration was started from Frank in a similar set-up, but listening to a real-time unit was a good experience.

Present considerations are:

JL Audio Components: C5 570 (2 way), perfect fit for 5 X 7 Fiesta slot.
JL Audio Sub: 10 W0v2-4, 4 ohm
JL Audio Amp: J2 320.4, 160 watts X 2 @4 ohm (bridged stage)
Head Units in mind: Kenwood DPX MP 5110 U or Pioneer FH P8000BT

Above stuff is the result of 1 week long search and cross-checking. I am yet to get the price part. Considering the US pricing, I should gather atleast 50k for the above. If not possible, I will go step by step, starting with the HU upgrade (using the stock speakers) then adding the Compo with Amp and finally the Sub. Even if it takes few months, I am still happy. Lets see !

JL is famous for its high pricing in India, but there is no second thought on quality related to this brand. I am offered a 50% discount on it, therefore doesnt feel like considering many brands. My other prefered brands (if required) will be DLS, Boston, Soundstream and Ultimate. Only issue is finding the 5X7 stock size. Not many brands have that. Some pics of the above mentioned list:
Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI: Upgraded ICE, Tires, Lights & now Seats-hu.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI: Upgraded ICE, Tires, Lights & now Seats-compsub.jpg

Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI: Upgraded ICE, Tires, Lights & now Seats-jl320.4.jpg
Old 1st October 2009, 20:51   #483
BHPian

i received a call from metro ford that they need to do a inspection of vehicle for power loss or something of that sort. Did anyone else receive any call of that sort from there ford dealer ?

I have got an appointment for saturday. Will post more details once i have had a word with them. I was sleeping hence didnt bother to post too many questions.
Old 1st October 2009, 20:54   #484
Senior - BHPian

Not heard of so far ! Did they call you as an individual or a full batch of deliveries together ? May be that could answer the situation.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:40   #485
BHPian

The ICE bug has bitten. Are you thinking of getting a LCD HU. I was planning for the Pioneer 4150 DVD, a friend got it installed for this SX4. It is very good.
Keep us updated on the ICEing
Old 1st October 2009, 21:56   #486
Senior - BHPian

You are right, ICE bug has bitten, but its a small bug which will not create much damage. LCD HU is not a priority, as I am more prone to many buttons and dials in its real form ! The Kenwood which I mentioned above has many features, including 1000 variable colours that can be set on the panel and buttons. For example, Lost/Angry = Red, Spiritual = Blue, Romantic = Pink etc.. I am very curiously waiting to hear from anyone who uses one of the products in my list !

Last edited by shajufx : 1st October 2009 at 21:57.
Old 1st October 2009, 23:32   #487
Senior - BHPian

Shaju, as I said earlier. You're the man!!! Cheers! Happy to see you starting the ICE project~
Old 2nd October 2009, 13:21   #488
Senior - BHPian

Now coming to the actual sourcing part, many brands do not have certain series of products in India. Head Unit itself is the best example, Pioneer P8000BT is not in the market here, but dealers have P6050UB which looks the same externally, costing around 13k. Fortunately Kenwood MP5110U is available costing around 13.5k. I think Kenwood has more features including the variable colours (which could be used for matching rest of the dash lights). Presently not looking out of these two brands to avoid too much of confusion. Both are stocked by Car Decor, Lalbagh road, so I will be going to check them out.

After having a detailed discussion about the brands under SSPL, my friend is also suggesting me to consider Ultimate which is the cheapest but very good quality and VFM in their list of brands. According to him a Compo+Amp+Sub could be invoiced well below 25k, whereas JL combination might be falling between 50 to 60k. Adding another 15-20k for HU, Cables, Sub Box, Installation etc. Since my fiesta is a not a daily drive, I prefer to stick to a budget set up which could be done chosing Ultimate.

They stopped importing Boston due to some issues but few pieces might be available in the stock (with the importer not dealers). So, if they are available in my 5X7 requirement, it is another possibility of getting it for the price of Ultimate. Anyway the search is still ON. Not in a hurry to settle on one brand. I am waiting for my friend to search into his inventory (possible only on Monday as its a long weekend). Now its a trio combination of Specification + Availability + Budget !

Another serious doubt: Sorry for my ignorance. For a Component + Sub set up (rear is cancelled), how do I decide the Amp. Should it be 4 channel ? If my understanding is correct, 1 channel goes to 1 side or set of components right ? Means if I buy a 4 channel amp, 1 will go to left, 1 will go to right and 2 will be bridged for Sub. So if the Amp is 80 watts X 4 at 4 ohms, how does it get shared in my desired set up? Thanks.

Last edited by shajufx : 2nd October 2009 at 13:28.
Old 2nd October 2009, 13:29   #489
Senior - BHPian

I have heard Rainbow co-ax on stock location powered from HU. It was great. May you be able to workout things within a fixed budget
Old 2nd October 2009, 15:54   #490
Senior - BHPian

Shaju, stay away from Ultimate. Not many here know about its credibility nor reliability. Opt for Dls if possible. Get a good set of components and a good head unit for the time being. Damp the doors too. That way you can do things in stages. And make sure you're not compromising on anything.
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:39   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I have heard Rainbow co-ax on stock location powered from HU. It was great. May you be able to workout things within a fixed budget
When I am avoiding the rear completely, will the coax provide enough clarity ? There are more choices when it comes to coax in the 5X7 size. So far I am not stuck to any brand in particular, open to all choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
stay away from Ultimate....Opt for Dls if possible. Get a good set of components and a good head unit for the time being.
My friend cum neighbour (SSPL connection I mentioned in your thread) was suggesting Ultimate to be very good quality and VFM. What you said is true, there is none who can comment about it.

The head units in my consideration have an output of 50 watts X 4. It can also be connected to the front and rear channels bridged to a single sub that can provide 70 watts.

Will components work well without an Amp ? If YES, what about the crossovers that comes with them? What is the stock set-up in the Fiesta ? Are they components (as there is a Mid on the door and a tweeter on the sail panel). Sorry for too many questions, I am just learning the basics. I am sure people who are in the similar situation also will be benefitted.
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:05   #492
Senior - BHPian

shaju: 50*4 from the head unit doesnt mean the head unit will deliver 50 W constantly. An amp is a must, but since you say you are on a slightly limited budget, I would suggest you do it bit by bit. Components work without amplifiers, but play beautifully when given sufficient power from an external power amplifier. The components come with crossovers that help the sound to be divided into highs and mids (and lows). Highs go to tweeters and mids and lows go to the woofers. Fiesta stock speakers dont come with crossovers. Just one full range driver (inside the door) and a tweeter in the sail panel. Bad, to say the least.
You shouldnt power a sub from the head unit even if it has gimmickry like 'sub drive' etc mentioned as one if it's features. You would rather have an amp to do what the head unit will absolutely DIE doing.

Last edited by frankmehta : 2nd October 2009 at 19:06.
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:21   #493
Senior - BHPian

That was a very useful info (all your inputs are really informative). I was not sure if a component can work directly from the HU. So a crossover that comes with the compos can also be fitted right ? (inside the door pads?) Now that doubt being sorted out, I will get the HU and the compos first. Second step could be the amp and sub as I finalise the brand and price part.

I have given my requirements to my friend, he will be able to give me all the pricing part only on Monday, as its a long weekend !
Old 2nd October 2009, 20:55   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Not heard of so far ! Did they call you as an individual or a full batch of deliveries together ? May be that could answer the situation.
not sure. Will let you know what's the scene on saturday. But i am just guessing it wasnt just me because i never complaint about this. I am a novice when comes to cars and driving so i guess it must be for group.

And yea they said they will give a free wash to the car .
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:06   #495
Senior - BHPian

I was invited for a customer-orientation programme 2 weeks back, although I couldnt make it due to personal engagements. I received couple of calls as well as SMS invitation for the same, it was on a saturday, 10am to 12pm OR 3pm to 5pm, so one could attend either of the schedules.

I think every brand does that through the dealers, so that customers are aware of the product and service part. I doubt if you are called for the same. Free wash is a good part, I have never done a full machine wash after taking delivery, eagerly waiting for my first service which will be due end of this month. I am also promised a free underbody coating by the dealer.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed