Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 09:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Belated Congratulations.Its one of the princess of Maruti.Take care of her as well as your family on travel.Even in wonderful road 90 plus is not safe for her.Control below 80.
Me a Ritzian
Thanks! But I don't agree about the speed. To my knowledge the Alto is far better than tall boys at 3 digit speeds due to her low stance. Provided she is shod with good quality tubeless tyres. What is your Ritz, petrol or diesel? I liked the car but it was out of my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Wait for a few more kms. I have driven Alto on A'bad-Vadodara expressway and the car hits 100 with ease. The problem starts after 125-130 in general. Lot depends on other factors. Wind being one of them.

Try this again after 2500-3000 Kms.
Thanks. Will try it again after 3500 KM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Its no longer necessary. Fan can be turned on even when ignition is off.

So, system will turn on the fan if required.
Thanks. I did not know about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Do NOT make it a habit. Weakest link in this case are tires.

Stock tyres are not designed for sustained usage in high speed. Maruti did a "stress test" and ran an Alto at near 100 kmph for 48 hours on test track. But it was not on stock tires. A google search should bring up sources for this.
I only drive around 80 KMPH while on the highways. Still, I would like to take her past 100 once in a while for a few KM on a good stretch, just for fun. I plan to change to alloys and good quality tubeless tyres next year anyway.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th November 2009 at 09:49.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:24   #92
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Gansan, Long time since I checked in on your thread. So I see you are also planning on changing to tubeless and alloys. I recently shod my Santro with B'Stone Turanza tubeless tyres and the ride is simply mind blowing.

You can't feel those small rough patches and not to mention the handling has also improved remarkably, which is quite evident on the twisties enroute to Pondy. I'm just itching to change the tyres on my Alto and can't wait till the MRFs are worn
Old 1st December 2009, 11:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

Hi gpa,

Thanks for the input. Did you keep to 13" rims or went over size for the Santro? I plan to go for 13" alloys for the Alto. But that is still some time away.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:34   #94
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Hi gpa,

Thanks for the input. Did you keep to 13" rims or went over size for the Santro? I plan to go for 13" alloys for the Alto. But that is still some time away.
Gansan,

I stuck to the stock 13" steel rims on the Santro as they were in very good condition with absolutely no signs of rust. It's been ~3,500 kms and over 2 months since I changed to new tubeless tyres and I have (touchwood) not had any problems thus far.

If I do switch to tubeless for the Alto, I think I will stick to 12" only. There is a seperate thread on tyres for the Alto which will give us more info, so I can read up on it there before I make the change.

Regards,
gpa
Old 8th December 2009, 23:08   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, in the old type carbureted Marutis, I remember that before switching off the engine, if we heard the fan running, we had to wait for it to stop first and then cut the engine. Does it still hold good for current MPFI cars too? The MASS guys say it is not necessary any more. Any inputs?
I have a old type carbureted Maruti ('97 model) and i never knew about such a thing.Anyways i am sure it's not applicable to modern engines.Just in case you wanted to know i never bothered to wait till the fan swtiches off i just cut off the engine.Well my fan did conk off sometime last month but then it ran for 12 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Gansan, Long time since I checked in on your thread. So I see you are also planning on changing to tubeless and alloys.
If you are planning to switch to alloys may i suggest Neo's ,you will get a structure warranty which i think is lifetime and 1 year against manafacturing defects.They are pretty good looking too and are a safer bet then chinese imports.I have Neo's on my 800.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If you are planning to switch to alloys may i suggest Neo's ,you will get a structure warranty which i think is lifetime and 1 year against manafacturing defects.They are pretty good looking too and are a safer bet then chinese imports.I have Neo's on my 800.
Thanks. I will keep it in mind. I was actually thinking of Aura alloys, but the upgrade is still some time away.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I will keep it in mind. I was actually thinking of Aura alloys, but the upgrade is still some time away.
Aura is a good choice (or should I say was) no doubt. I have them on my Esteem for the last 5 plus years sans any issues. Unfortunately, they have closed their shop for good and thats the end of the story. You are better off looking for other options.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:52   #98
Senior - BHPian

Is it so? That's a pity. They are available at MSM right now, but I can't spare the money for an upgrade immediately.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:05   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it so? That's a pity. They are available at MSM right now, but I can't spare the money for an upgrade immediately.
I am sure the price MSM quotes would be higher than what you can manage to get outside. I bought my set of 5 alloys (13 inches) at Mahavir, GP Road in 2005 for 15K. This included trading in my OE rims and free wheel alignment & balancing.(which most dealers offer today)

Given the current situation it is better you look out for brands like Neo than going in for some old stock Aura (not that they decay) but for the fact that you may not be able to get a replacement in future (if one of your wheels have to be replaced, at all)
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:28   #100
Senior - BHPian

I will take the car for second service tomorrow. After the first service and oil change, car has done only 2000 KM (current odo reading is 3000 KM). Next oil change is mandatory only during the third/10000 KM service, but I have decided to change the oil during every 6 monthly service, irrespective of the KM. My usage is only about 300 - 350 KM a month, so it will not get to the stipulated 10000 KM mark even after one year. Somehow the idea of not changing the engine oil every 6 months leaves me uneasy!

So I bought a 4 litre can of Helix HX5 oil once again from the Shell pump (thanks for the PM Nitrous,could not find time to go over to GP road, may be next time), as well as a liquid measure. I already have 900 ML of oil left over from the previous service. So measured out 1800 ML from the new can and added to the old one, making it 2.7 litres, the exact quantity needed for the oil change.

BHPians please clarify the following:

1) Even though the manual specifies the oil sump capacity as 2.7 litres, will it be safe to pour in the entire quantity after draining the old oil? Can it still cause over filling?

2) Now I have 2.2 litres of oil left in the new can. I intend to keep it tightly closed and use for the oil change during third service after another 6 months. Hope this will be OK?

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd December 2009 at 15:33.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:45   #101
Senior - BHPian

I completed an eventful second service! A couple of issues that came up are here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...ml#post1650347

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1651192

I had measured and taken 2.7 litres of Helix HX-5 for the service, as that is the sump capacity indicated in the manual. I bought a tupperware type measure n store can for this purpose, paying Rs 110.00. It measures 700 ml max at one time, marked in 100 ml increments, and I measured the quantity exactly as I did not want any over filling. But to my surprise, after the oil was filled, it was well below the maximum mark. So after coming home and parking the car overnight, I checked again this morning, and it was a little higher than yesterday, but still below the max mark. So I added fresh oil in 100 ml increments, till it was very slightly (< 0.5 mm) above the max mark. It took 200 ml of oil to achieve this, so effectively car has drunk 2.9 litres. Either the measuring can is wrongly calibrated (I don't think so) or the manual mentions the quantity excluding the amount of oil taken up by the oil filter.

The oil change regime at MSM sucks big time. The mechanics simply do not wait till all the old oil comes out completely. They start to reinstall the drain plug while it is still coming out in droplets. The mechanic assigned to my car too tried to do this a couple of times, but i stopped him. He had not removed the oil filler cover, and i removed it to speed up the process. When he complained for a third time that he had to complete n number of cars in a given day and can't wait so long for every car, I got fed up and allowed him to reinstall the nut. The oil droplets were coming out very slowly by then. I don't know what is the solution for this and pity the customers who sit blissfully watching TV in the lounge while this takes place! The place is simply chock ful of cars awaiting service. We can't change the oil outside too as the car is in warranty.

And my Icats key was bent! I blasted the SA about this. He was nervous when he gave me the service rating questionnaire to fill up, and pleaded with me to give good ratings. I gave not so good ratings anyway. They have also given another similar questionaiire with the bill, which I am to fill up at home and mail to them. I will really lay it on in this one!

There was hardly any bill. I paid Rs 92.00 for the oil filter, windscreen shampoo plus some taxes.
Old 26th December 2009, 13:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oil droplets were coming out very slowly by then. I don't know what is the solution for this and pity the customers who sit blissfully watching TV in the lounge while this takes place!
Hi Gansan,
the place where i get the car for service drain out the oil from the engine with the car hoisted on the lift few feet from the ground and when the oil stream starts to dwindle to a trickle they use a air pressure pipe and blow air inside the engine to remove the old excess oil.
Old 26th December 2009, 14:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi Gansan,
the place where i get the car for service drain out the oil from the engine with the car hoisted on the lift few feet from the ground and when the oil stream starts to dwindle to a trickle they use a air pressure pipe and blow air inside the engine to remove the old excess oil.
Uh huh! This looks worse than allowing a little old oil to remain in the engine to me!

I am glad I have decided on the six monthly oil + filter change regime and to ignore the KM completed. I am sure this will take care of incomplete draining of old oil, though I will stick around and delay the closing of drain nut as much as possible.
Old 28th December 2009, 17:02   #104
Senior - BHPian

Did a city mileage check yesterday with the odo at 3077 KM. Distance covered 72.9 KM, fuel consumed 3.90 litres @ 18.69 KMPL. A/C usage only about 25%, mostly quick moving traffic except a nerve wracking bumper to bumper crawl for about 5 KM along the Marina.

Planning a Pondy trip for the coming week-end to check highway mileage!

Last edited by Gansan : 28th December 2009 at 17:03.
Old 4th January 2010, 00:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sir,

I had gone through your thread in the past,but to day went through from the purchase onwards I went through. Both of us bought from ABT Maruti and both do the service in MSM.As you have done your 2nd service on 25th and what was the problem made you to visit on 31st to MSM. Was there any issue after service?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks