Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi

I have booked an Alto LXi, caribbean blue color with ABT Maruti. Price of car is Rs 297583 OTR, after Rs 15000 cash discount. I am getting the removable mats, steering cover, perfume, 3M under body coating and third year extended warranty as freebies. I have just completed inspection of the car and everything seems OK. Just checked the body externally and started the engine. Could not take the car out due to many cars parked in a cluster and time constraint (I went during my lunch time). Opened the bonnet and noted down the engine and chassis numbers. It is an April'09 model. Battery is Amaron and tyres are MRF-ZVTs. Car looked muddy and dusty. ODO reading is 84 Kms. They explained it has just been driven in from a yard 20 KM away, and sometimes vehicles get shifted between godowns also. Car goes to the RTO office tomorrow and coupled with pre delivery test drives, I expect another 10 - 15 KM to be added. I hope this mileage is OK. They requested me to come and see the car tomorrow after they wash and polish it! I will take delivery on 25th evening.

Extra fittings (MGA) at the dealer cost as follows:

Sony XPLOD with USB + 4 speakers : Rs 13500.00
Sony XPLOD with USB + 2 speakers : Rs 11500.00

Art leather seat covers : Rs 4500
Fabric seat covers : Rs 2800

3M sunfilm with 98% UV protection : Rs 2500 - 3500
(does not include wind shield)

3M sun film for wind shield : Rs 6000 (approx)

Cigarette lighter point : Rs 320.00

Power windows front : Rs 6500.00

Remote locking : Rs 5500

I intend to fit the ICE, seat covers and Sun film immediately. Power windows and remote locking in phase II, after some time. Shall I fit MGA and get peace of mind or fit them outside at some cost savings? How much will be the savings? May be 10 - 15%? Bhpians help me!

Also, will it be worth to fit sun film for the wind shield?
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:04   #2
BHPian

Hi gasan,
Congratulations on booking your car!

As a suggestion, please just take the stock car from Maruti and get the stuff from outside for less. You'll save alot. Prices of MGA are a bit on the higher side.

Regarding the odo reading, I am not sure as I live in delhi and am not aware of distances in chennai. Sorry!

HAppy driving!

Cheers,
AS
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Extra fittings (MGA) at the dealer cost as follows:

Sony XPLOD with USB + 4 speakers : Rs 13500.00
Sony XPLOD with USB + 2 speakers : Rs 11500.00

Art leather seat covers : Rs 4500
Fabric seat covers : Rs 2800

3M sunfilm with 98% UV protection : Rs 2500 - 3500
(does not include wind shield)

3M sun film for wind shield : Rs 6000 (approx)

Cigarette lighter point : Rs 320.00

Power windows front : Rs 6500.00

Remote locking : Rs 5500

I intend to fit the ICE, seat covers and Sun film immediately. Power windows and remote locking in phase II, after some time. Shall I fit MGA and get peace of mind or fit them outside at some cost savings? How much will be the savings? May be 10 - 15%? Bhpians help me!

Also, will it be worth to fit sun film for the wind shield?
Gansan,

Congrats on your new car !! I think you should get the accessories fitted from outside as it shall save you around 40 %.
Outside costs for the below itmes are -

Cost of Cigarette lighter point - 150 (Xenos make)

Power windows front : 4400 ( Minda make for wagon R with relay)

Remote locking : 4000

Fabric seat covers : 1400- 1600

Sony XPLOD with USB + 4 speakers - 10K to 11K (with bill)

All the prices are approximate(Delhi prices) but for sure they won't differ much from what I have mentioned.
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. May be I will take the car as stock from them and do the fittings outside. I also saw a few 2008 make Altos there. These had body color bumpers and seat covers. They are offering extra 10K - 15K discount for these. What will be the pros and cons of buying one of them?

Also, is it a good idea to fit sun film for the wind shield or should it be left alone?

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd June 2009 at 21:36.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:02   #5
BHPian

Congrats Ganeshan, Drive safe and Have fun. On MGA accessories, yes it is on the higher side. I am not sure fitting a third party remote lock would break warranty. Check with the dealer on that. You can get Autocop security for 3.5K.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

You can get Minda remote locking and 4 power windows as a package for 14K.
Old 24th June 2009, 20:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Registration completed today. Took the car for a short spin with a guy from the show room. Everything seemed OK and smooth, except the expected sluggish pick-up with A/c on. Also experienced some difficulty in engaging fifth gear a couple of times. Told the guy to look in to it, but he says he found no issues with it when he drove the car.

Delivery will be at 4.00 PM tomorrow. Planning to take my wife and son for the event. Both are very excited!
Old 24th June 2009, 20:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Registration completed today.
Delivery will be at 4.00 PM tomorrow. Planning to take my wife and son for the event. Both are very excited!
Congratulations Gansan. drive safe with your dear ones aboard
Old 25th June 2009, 11:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Congratulations Gansan. drive safe with your dear ones aboard
Thanks my friend! I sure will.
Old 25th June 2009, 11:34   #10
BHPian

congrats Gansan,

i would recommend u do not Fit ICE from the showroom the overall price wil be much higher and going by the forum advice, Sony XPLOD is a brand to avoid. you could get much better equipment in the same price.

Hold you ICE purchase from dealer and checkout the ICE section .
Old 25th June 2009, 11:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
congrats Gansan,

i would recommend u do not Fit ICE from the showroom the overall price wil be much higher and going by the forum advice, Sony XPLOD is a brand to avoid. you could get much better equipment in the same price.

Hold you ICE purchase from dealer and checkout the ICE section .
Thank you! I have decided to do the ICE and art leather seat covers outside. Power windows and remote locking are on hold for now.

Last edited by Gansan : 25th June 2009 at 11:54.
Old 28th June 2009, 21:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Taken delivery on 25th. I have installed art leather seat covers and Sony Xplod 4 speaker system for my Alto at MGA itself. Both are very nice. Checked the rates for them outside too but decided the difference was not worth the trouble.

Encountered a few problems too:

1. I am finding it difficult to engage the fifth gear most times. I have had it checked by the service manager at ABT as well as by my brother-in law who has an Alto. Both of them say the gear is normal. Then whay am I finding it difficult?

2. The rear speakers are fitted in the hatch door. After fitment and reaching home, I am having difficulty in opening the hatch door lock. I am able to open it only by pressing lock area with one hand and turning the key with the other. What could be the problem? I plan to take it back to ABT for checking in a couple of days.

3. Tonight while driving home after an outing, the car stalled at a traffic signal. A bus behind me bagan honking loudly and I was flustered (as I mentioned elsewhere, I am driving after a decade). I tried to start the engine and move off twice more but stalled again! Then I realized I was engaging third gear instead of first in my hurry, so calmed down, started the engine again and this time moved off in first gear correctly. I am worried if this could result in any engine damage as the odo reading is only 140 K.M. Can anyone clarify? I had my wife and kid on board and was driving without A/C.

Last edited by Gansan : 28th June 2009 at 21:12.
Old 29th June 2009, 15:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Taken delivery on 25th. I have installed art leather seat covers and Sony Xplod 4 speaker system for my Alto at MGA itself. Both are very nice. Checked the rates for them outside too but decided the difference was not worth the trouble.

Encountered a few problems too:

1. I am finding it difficult to engage the fifth gear most times. I have had it checked by the service manager at ABT as well as by my brother-in law who has an Alto. Both of them say the gear is normal. Then whay am I finding it difficult?

2. The rear speakers are fitted in the hatch door. After fitment and reaching home, I am having difficulty in opening the hatch door lock. I am able to open it only by pressing lock area with one hand and turning the key with the other. What could be the problem? I plan to take it back to ABT for checking in a couple of days.

3. Tonight while driving home after an outing, the car stalled at a traffic signal. A bus behind me bagan honking loudly and I was flustered (as I mentioned elsewhere, I am driving after a decade). I tried to start the engine and move off twice more but stalled again! Then I realized I was engaging third gear instead of first in my hurry, so calmed down, started the engine again and this time moved off in first gear correctly. I am worried if this could result in any engine damage as the odo reading is only 140 K.M. Can anyone clarify? I had my wife and kid on board and was driving without A/C.
so finally the blue beauty is yours.

1) don't worry about the 5th gear. it will gradually become smooth over time. the car needs to properly run - in. ensure that the correct rpm range is maintained even while using the 5th gear.

2) i didn't get the "I am able to open it only by pressing lock area with one hand and turning the key with the other." part. Installing on the rear hatch door is a bad way of installing speakers . This puts undue load on the hatch door and the door openers/ hydraulic hinge will not be able to hold the hatch in open position. Request the dealer to relocate the speakers to a MDF parcel tray.

3) I dont see any porblem with the couple of jerk stall creating too much problem to the engine or gearbox if the car is running fine after the incident. However its best to keep your car under minimum stress during the run-in period, which i am sure you will considering your driving experince.

dont be bogged down and enjoy your car.
Old 29th June 2009, 21:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am finding it difficult to engage the fifth gear most times. I have had it checked by the service manager at ABT as well as by my brother-in law who has an Alto. Both of them say the gear is normal. Then whay am I finding it difficult?
No issues with that. The Maruti gearbox is like that. Should improve after sometime. I was having the same issue. After 250Km it has improved but still not perfect. Changing from 4th to 5th is smooth, but 5th to 4th is a bit difficult.
Old 29th June 2009, 22:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
1)so finally the blue beauty is yours.

2) i didn't get the "I am able to open it only by pressing lock area with one hand and turning the key with the other." part.

1) Yeah! They took a couple of photos while handing over and said I will get it by courier shortly. I also shot a few snaps with my mobile phone. I will post all of them together!

2) I mean I have to press down on the hatch door under the lock with one hand, while simultaneously turning the key with the other.

Most Viewed