Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2009, 23:55   #1
BHPian

Suzuki SX4: 16000KM Update!!

hi folks,
after lots & lots of thinking, innumerable test drives & phone calls we finally went ahead and got her home. (MARUTI SUZUKI SX4:ZXI)

The selection and convincing(parents) process:

My parents did not want another white elephant like the Octavia we have as the Skoda service centers almost never have the parts in stock and the car gets stuck for days at a stretch. you guys wont believe this but the day we went to buy the SX4 the Octavia's radiator fan stopped working and started emitting smoke. So we had to go in a cab to buy the new car as both the Octavia and the Accent both were out of service with the same problem and even Hyundai did not have the parts in stock

All these things convinced my parents that a Maruti would be the answer to all our woes.

I was a bit skeptical about the SX4's overall quality after reading the Thread on the SWIFT & SX4 rattles.

But after six test drives and taking 3 of the TD cars beyond 150kmph. I had driven more that 100km in the TD's of the SX4 alone. All of this over almost all sorts of roads, This did convince me that the SX4 was a pretty decently made car and the huge Ground Clearance is one of the biggest assets. No more do I look at speed breakers the same way.

Cars considered were the

Optra 1.6 LT:
The Most underpowered car and equipped with the most pathetic gearshift on earth.

Honda City 1.5 S (Manual):
I liked the Honda but, my dad has arthritis and the extremely low seating position was not very comfortable. An added reason being the fact that it would be costlier to maintain. Me and my dad found the car to be bit Over-Hyped as well.

Swift ZXI:
Parents did not like looks. I liked the way she handled and was entertaining to drive.

A-Star ZXI:
Very cramped in the rear but fit for purpose and came with all the safety kit ABS/AIRBAGS

Ritz ZXI:
Parents liked the car but I and my Brother did not like the Blue dashboard, reminded me of the Polo Bluemotion (felt like getting that one instead), as well as the rear looks.

SX4 ZXI:
Everyone liked it. The high seating & ground clearance especially, it had a good engine, loaded with features, and the best part it looked huge in comparison to our neighbors ANHC bought a few days ago.

Hyundai I20 ASTA (6 airbags):
The 1.2 engine didn't seem to do justice to it. Although I liked the safety kit a lot. It felt a bit underpowered though.

The reason why this particular set of cars were chosen was because of the fact that they all had ABS / Airbags. And the size or segment of the car did not matter. I being a petrol-head personally wanted the car to be fun to drive. Since the car would be used by me at all times. My parents would be using it when the Octavia goes for service / repair / etc.

The SX4 seemed like the right choice. pics attached:

suggestions comments welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki SX4: 16000KM Update!!-foto1.jpg  

Suzuki SX4: 16000KM Update!!-photo0479.jpg  

Suzuki SX4: 16000KM Update!!-photo0486.jpg  

Suzuki SX4: 16000KM Update!!-photo0487.jpg  

Suzuki SX4: 16000KM Update!!-photo0491.jpg  

Suzuki SX4: 16000KM Update!!-photo0490.jpg  

Old 30th June 2009, 01:00   #2
BHPian

hi maglev
congrats,welcome to the sx4 club,happy riding.
how is this different from the 2008 version.
Old 30th June 2009, 01:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

good choice Maglev

And SX4 is a trouble free car backed with Maruti's big network of service centres so no SKODA kind of woes here.

Injoy the ride and drive safe
Old 30th June 2009, 01:13   #4
BHPian

subtle differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
hi maglev
congrats,welcome to the sx4 club,happy riding.
how is this different from the 2008 version.
Subtle Differences are there such as the:

Remote embedded key
Flattened rear back rest (rear Middle passenger)
Rear head rests (Swift type)
Wooden Interior (Optional @ Rs. 6500/-) I got it free from the dealer
Speakers for the audio system are said to be better for 2009 (have not confirmed this yet but as per the dealer they are supposed to be of better quality)
Old 30th June 2009, 01:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats...smart choice! Does the ZXi come with rear parking senors as standard fitment? How many airbags does it have?
With the competition heating up, I'm sure maruti has begun discounting the SX4
Old 30th June 2009, 01:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Congrats...smart choice! Does the ZXi come with rear parking senors as standard fitment? How many airbags does it have?
With the competition heating up, I'm sure maruti has begun discounting the SX4
The rear parking sensors are MGA for 5k, its got 2 airbags (driver + front passenger).
Total discounts were around 15K cash + third year warranty + wooden interior trim (Rs. 6500/- from the dealer).
Old 30th June 2009, 08:56   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase! Do post some pics of the interior too!

Btw its a 'he' not a 'she'. Remember the tagline is, 'Men are back'
Old 30th June 2009, 09:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

very good choice. I guarantee you will not regret.

I am almost 17K km in 1 year, an this car has me delighted for every inch of drive.

And not forget, amazing MASS, at least Vipul in Gurgaon have given me some of the best services I ever had.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car. Can you please post a pic of the rear seat. I really want to see the flattened rear seats.

Also did you change the tyres? If not then Maruti has changed from JK Vectras to Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 tyres for the SX4.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Subtle Differences are there such as the:

Remote embedded key
Flattened rear back rest (rear Middle passenger)
Rear head rests (Swift type)
Wooden Interior (Optional @ Rs. 6500/-) I got it free from the dealer
Speakers for the audio system are said to be better for 2009 (have not confirmed this yet but as per the dealer they are supposed to be of better quality)
Congrats Meglev.

Looks like Maruti is listening to the customer feedback. This is good news. The protruding rear middle seat and the rear high headrests were the main concerns I had with this car.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

very good choice of yours.Guess there is nothing left for the accessories to add.
side skirts & rear spoiler will make an awesome ride.
Keep revving...
Old 30th June 2009, 10:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Meglev.
Do post some pics of the interiors, wooden finish and the flattened arm rest, etc.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Meglev,

Welcome to the club. The SX4 is a very good package. Even after driving one for 15 months I cannot but be impressed by its imposing (Predator) stance. It is good to know that Maruti has acted on the customer feedback and made the required changes to the the seats and the neck restraints.

Please do post pictures of the new seat and the wood trim.
Old 30th June 2009, 12:01   #14
BHPian

Congratulation Maglev,

Welcome to the SX4 club. I have completed more than a year on my SX4 and done 16k kms and I am sure you are going to love your car. Good to see Maruti take care of the feedback. The new key with inbuilt security system buttons is very handy.

Have a safe and happy driving experience.

Cheers,
Meer

Last edited by Meer : 30th June 2009 at 12:02. Reason: name spelled incorrectly
Old 30th June 2009, 12:46   #15
BANNED

A bit off the topic..Sorry

I m a bit off the topic here but just wanted to share with all of you readers that my experience so far with Skoda Bangalore (Tafe Access) has been very pleasant and satisfactory in terms of service provided (I have taken 4-5 friends Octavias there for service, more than once), on road assistance wait period (Just one oppurtunity to test it and they arrived in 45 minutes) and the nature of the employees there.
I know a few people there so if anyone at Bangalore has a Skoda issue, I would be glad to assist them.

And yes, congrats on the new SX4.

Most Viewed