Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 19:57   #46
BHPian

4000km update!

sorry i haven't updated the thread in a long time!
i have done 4000km in 6 months , i know less!
so why did i go for a mjd then ? well for me the mjd felt better to drive than the FIRE and also for a newbie who learnt to drive recently i found that the torque of the diesel is really useful when driving in stop go traffic in bridges!
Ok now coming to the 4000km review about the car , the fiat A S S in the next post
THE CAR!

1) THE DRIVE-performance
let me divide it into city and highway drives
a)city
Many people say they found the car to be underpowered during the test drive, thats because FIAT goofed up up big time with the 1st and 2nd gear! but having said that , for our roads i can live with the 1st and second gears but once you are in 3 rd gear and 4th gears, the car pulls along easily and is really good to overtake most cars!
b)highway
in the highways you wont be using the 1st two gears most often so driving the car in highway is a delight with the wonderful steering(ill get to that latter) ! it pulls along well in 3rd,4th and 5th upto 135-140 km/hr .
after 140 its takes a some time to gain speed though taken till 160 km/hr on my trip to vellore.
2)THE DRIVE-handling/dynamics
a)city
a lot was said about the huge turn radius, and i must say i was in a embarrassing situation when that happened! . just 2 weeks after i got the car/driving license , having learnt driving in a santro i was caught napping when i had gone to a mall(Spencer plaza) where i had to park it in the 6 th floor .but apart from that the drive is excellent with the spot on feel/feedback the car gives u! it absorbs the bumps really well
b)highway
absolutely fantastic! get this car u drive often in the highways!
My mom/dad didn't know i was going above 120km/hr until they saw the speedo! It is so stable even at 150 km/hr!the braking is very good but i dont like the feel the brakes give ,ABS the culprit perhaps?
c)off roads
well i go offroad in ecr every sunday near kovalam to fly my R/c plane ,and my advice dont do that! this car isn't meant for offroad, ground clearance is less !
3)THE FUEL EFFICIENCY
For once a FIAT car is very fuel efficient! i get 15kmpl in city with a light foot and in the highways though its a gem! i got 21kmpl/full ac when the car was driven at and average speed of 110km/hr to vellore which is 250 km 2 way from chennai! I have to try at 80km/hr which is said to be the perfect speed for the mjd to deliver maximum FE !
4)INTERIORS/PLASTICS/CABIN ROOM
i have no complaints apart from a problem with the driver side door which was solved in quick manner( ill get to that latter).None of the plastics have broken so far(touch wood!) though the quality should have been better!

final points to add about the car

-very fuel efficient , i am getting better FE as the car gets run in!
-extremely stable in the highways and is a perfect highway cruiser.If u have to travel 100km in highway every day? get this car!

next post the A S S and the niggles!
Old 21st March 2010, 20:17   #47
BHPian

fiat makes good cars we all know that , so know for the part people are scared to buy fiat cars
1)A S S
i have had just one service so far. Cant say much about the service since is just a mandatory service for check up and all so ill leave to the main 2nd service before i comment. The car was picked up and delivered on time , but -ve points as it wasn't cleaned properly!
2)THE REPLACEMENTS
The clutch slave cylinder was replaced by fiat and boy o boy so much difference was felt after that! The long play that the clutch had is gone for good! . The locks of both the rear doors were changed (replaced for all the first batch cars)
3)THE NIGGLES
The only problem that i have had happened yesterday! The driver side door lock broke and i couldn't open the car from the inside,finally i rolled down the window and opened from outside and then drove straight to VST motors , it was replaced/fixed in 2 hours.
COME ON FIAT why cant u make such a part which is so important a bit stronger.? imagine if the car caught fire(god forbid) it would be difficult to have the idea to open it from the outside in that anxiety! Also it was embarrassing when my uncle ( who owns a swift ) asked how such a important part broke so soon in a new vehicle !
ill add some pictures in the following week!

ps: mods can i have a change of the thread title to"edit: delivered and 4000km update "

Last edited by amulu10 : 21st March 2010 at 20:36.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is so stable even at 150 km/hr!the braking is very good but i dont like the feel the brakes give ,ABS the culprit perhaps?
this is same with all ABS vehicles i believe! try driving some other vehicle with ABS to confirm

Regarding broken handle, please complain to FIAT so that they can replace same in existing vehicles and give better ones in next set of vehicles!

PS: Punto and R15, waw hot garage!
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:17   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
this is same with all ABS vehicles i believe! try driving some other vehicle with ABS to confirm

Regarding broken handle, please complain to FIAT so that they can replace same in existing vehicles and give better ones in next set of vehicles!

PS: Punto and R15, waw hot garage!
thanks buddy ! and both of them are red in color . Yes i think its the ABS, ill check with some other cars.
And regarding the door handle actually the handle is fine ,its the door lock mechanism that broke . FIAT had infact replaced the door lock mechanism in the rear doors of my punto last month so Fiat is doing its job!
Here are some pics
MY red italian beauty! Now delivered (Grande Punto MJD)-1.jpg
tried some very mild offroading!

MY red italian beauty! Now delivered (Grande Punto MJD)-2.jpg

MY red italian beauty! Now delivered (Grande Punto MJD)-3.jpg
more to follow soon!

Last edited by amulu10 : 22nd March 2010 at 19:19.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:56   #50
BHPian

amulu, eye candy dude. Smashing pics.
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

simply smashing pics dude. If you get some time please post a photoshoot of R15 and Punto togather. That will be real treat to watch
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

The car looks fab. Yaar selecting color for Punto is one of the most difficult things I ever faced
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:24   #53
BHPian

Good pictures there!
The second last picture is the best one IMO
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:04   #54
BHPian

Good pictures and happy for you that all is well with your red beauty!!!!
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:23   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I agree to the fact that selecting the color for Punto is a really tough task. My cousin who is buying the 1.2 probably dynamic version ( I am pushing him to pick the emotion as it has ABS) is really confused after seeing all the colors available for Punto.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:31   #56
BHPian

I was sold over red color on day 1 of my seeing the car. No doubts about it, black did make me think. But for me Red was always a clear winner. Cheers to you nice car...
Old 6th July 2010, 18:49   #57
BHPian

my punto's first anniversary

time to update!
4595km in 12 months and the first anniversary!I guess this is the least run km/day MJD in teambhp.I know this running doesnt warrant a diesel but then i wanted a Punto and found the MJD to be better than FIRE to drive in the city and also there is the PETES factor!
And so a couple of gifts for my car
* K&N replacement filter
there isn't too much difference with it, if any the initial lag in the first and second gear is partly reduced
*Osram sylvania(sold as sylvania in US) silverstar H4 bulbs ,Osram W5W cool blue bulbs
The Osram bulbs though no match for xenons , do improve the lighting to a noticeable extent and is whitish compared to the stock bulb and again not as white as the 3400K xenon.
Coming to the car , there is definitely noticeable improvement in the performance and decrease in NVH levels.The car is getting smoother and the 1st and 2nd gear isn't that much of a problem as it was in the beginning!
The car still turns heads wherever i take her and people i have spoken with absolutely love the car but are worried about that its a FIAT! . Is Fiat's past reputation that bad with the people? But we do have 3 Puntos in my class with one more coming up soon , Hit with college guys i suppose!
SOUR points:
*The sound from the dash( the point where the music system touches the dash) is still there when taking turns over bad roads,but i barely notice it unless i turn off the music completely
*sound from the steering when its is turned at around half to the left from the neutral position!(and no its not the hydraulic sound) This one i am worried and i have to look into it as the safety might be at risk!
*sound from the rear right ,which i think is window or door pad or the seat.
Photos soon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks