Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 17:44   #61
BHPian

The War Begins

Premium Hatch segment is getting hotter.We need to see how i20 diesel fares with other contenders (Maruti duo and recently famed punto).I didn't see the enthusiasm that was there in the punto thread! .Lets the products talk.

i20 will score over its rivals in terms of fit and finish ,engine power and the gadgets in offer and others to play the card of VFM packages Lets wait and see who scores.
Old 8th July 2009, 23:10   #62
BHPian

Guess what friends, enquired with the hyundai guys (company people) launching by novemebr last week, it surely has a 90bhp motor with the boost factor.

But the bad news is because of increase in excise duty the prices may rise nearly to Jazz but will have more than double the features of what jazz has + the diesel factor....HYUNDAI for features and diesel option for such a great car but see to the price also or else you will get back hard as happened in GETZ CRDI

I wanna put my hands on these after my Verna CRDI rip off.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th July 2009 at 11:56. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the rules properly, Thanks
Old 9th July 2009, 03:13   #63
BHPian

@sumit- Your post is very unclear. The car is already been launched.
Are you trying to say prices will go up around November ?
Old 9th July 2009, 16:48   #64

Hi All,
Its over two days after the launch. Can someone present a pictorial review of i20 diesel?

At the same time, i also want to know, if verna can be fitted with i20 steering wheel for a better driving feel?

Cheers.
Old 9th July 2009, 22:02   #65
BHPian

AGAIN Hyundai managed to screw up the pricing big time. But happy that it comes with VGT pumping in 90 bhp power.
Old 10th July 2009, 02:00   #66
BHPian

Sorry guys to spoil the party, but after reading the entire thread i am just NOT CONVINCED !!

The 1.2L i-20 was for people with no automotive sense,fancy power windows (auto retracting + can be operated 30 secs after cutting ignition) but pathetic engine (w.r.t bhp/ton), 'conventionally' stylish looks but no PUNCHY MOTOR !! (reminds me of the chevy SRV bigtime- some fast looking cars can be really really slow, and thirsty too) VERY DISAPPOINTING. Whenever I want to buy a car, I want to buy a CAR, not some curvy metal box with hi-tech power windows.Give me a good engine&sharp chassis and i have no issues with winding up the windows by hand.

The Getz tried hard to break conventions, hatchback with 101 bhp CRDI VGT. but again guess what, NO HANDLING AT ALL !! please hyundai, understand, a punchy engine just cant be mated to a soft, confused chassis !! (kindly employ R&D from India next time) family & sport don't go together. Koreans really need time to catch up with the rest of the automotive world. AESOEP'S FABLE MORAL- try to please everyone, you end up pleasing NO-ONE.

i-20 CRDI is again a big confusion.What is it really trying to be- a plush, ultra safe, soft suspension-soft curves stylish family hatchback or a Hot rod performer. Sorry but the i-20 ain't any. Reasons -
  • 90 BHP, where did the extra 10+ bhp of the lesser priced Getz CDRI go
  • No punch from the turbo (WGT anyone? - whats that for anyways then)
  • a soft/plush suspension kills a great engine even before its started (no rocket science here)
  • 7.3 lakh for a SLANTED H !! i am not prepared to pay that much even for a hatch with a straight [H].
  • A family car needs to have space (a.k.a headroom & rear legroom) that the i-20 sorely lacks compared to the exterior dimensions
  • A safe car needs to be a sharp & accurate handler (active safety feature), then it won't need all the passive safety features like high tensile steel body, curtain airbags,4* NACP rating,etc.(applicable only in case of a terrible accident)
  • Just one new model launch within 6 months (grand punto) has made the i-20 look a little older, imagine the situation after another 6 months . Comparatively even after 3 years & 3 lakhs cars, the Swift still looks contemporary and sporty.
Old 10th July 2009, 09:03   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
Sorry guys to spoil the party, but after reading the entire thread i am just NOT CONVINCED !!

The 1.2L i-20 was for people with no automotive sense,fancy power windows (auto retracting + can be operated 30 secs after cutting ignition) but pathetic engine (w.r.t bhp/ton), 'conventionally' stylish looks but no PUNCHY MOTOR !! (reminds me of the chevy SRV bigtime- some fast looking cars can be really really slow, and thirsty too) VERY DISAPPOINTING. Whenever I want to buy a car, I want to buy a CAR, not some curvy metal box with hi-tech power windows.Give me a good engine&sharp chassis and i have no issues with winding up the windows by hand.

The Getz tried hard to break conventions, hatchback with 101 bhp CRDI VGT. but again guess what, NO HANDLING AT ALL !! please hyundai, understand, a punchy engine just cant be mated to a soft, confused chassis !! (kindly employ R&D from India next time) family & sport don't go together. Koreans really need time to catch up with the rest of the automotive world. AESOEP'S FABLE MORAL- try to please everyone, you end up pleasing NO-ONE.

i-20 CRDI is again a big confusion.What is it really trying to be- a plush, ultra safe, soft suspension-soft curves stylish family hatchback or a Hot rod performer. Sorry but the i-20 ain't any. Reasons -
  • 90 BHP, where did the extra 10+ bhp of the lesser priced Getz CDRI go
  • No punch from the turbo (WGT anyone? - whats that for anyways then)
  • a soft/plush suspension kills a great engine even before its started (no rocket science here)
  • 7.3 lakh for a SLANTED H !! i am not prepared to pay that much even for a hatch with a straight [H].
  • A family car needs to have space (a.k.a headroom & rear legroom) that the i-20 sorely lacks compared to the exterior dimensions
  • A safe car needs to be a sharp & accurate handler (active safety feature), then it won't need all the passive safety features like high tensile steel body, curtain airbags,4* NACP rating,etc.(applicable only in case of a terrible accident)
  • Just one new model launch within 6 months (grand punto) has made the i-20 look a little older, imagine the situation after another 6 months . Comparatively even after 3 years & 3 lakhs cars, the Swift still looks contemporary and sporty.

Man, those are real harsh comments on i20. I dont think i20 is that bad, it does a lot of things good and a few things bad. The only sore point here is the pricing. I am not asking for a VFM from Hyundai, but they should stop overpricing. All the cost benefits building the car in India is being passed on to Europeans and not Indian customers. How will Hyundai drive volumes when Santro is discontinued?
Old 10th July 2009, 09:32   #68
BHPian

Quote:

The Getz tried hard to break conventions, hatchback with 101 bhp CRDI VGT. but again guess what, NO HANDLING AT ALL !!

Get your facts straight. The Crdi Getz is 110 bhp. Also have driven a getz with better tires and broader tires.
Old 12th July 2009, 02:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Get your facts straight. The Crdi Getz is 110 bhp. Also have driven a getz with better tires and broader tires.
woops! typo missed those nine horses

@heman, this is really a stonker of a motor (it can produce wheelspins in 2nd gear) ,and broader tyres would definately be beneficial, but their combined might wont undo the work done by the chassis.

I would really love someone to try mating this particular engine to the Fiesta"S" chassis. Would be the stuff of wet dreams.
Old 12th July 2009, 18:50   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I would really love someone to try mating this particular engine to the Fiesta"S" chassis. Would be the stuff of wet dreams.
And then make hue and cry of poor resale, poor A.S.S., costly spares eh?
Old 12th July 2009, 19:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
And then make hue and cry of poor resale, poor A.S.S., costly spares eh?
Its only hyped..the spares are costlier may be 15% than that of MSIL. The service cost is also much competitive now. I have never encountered any concerns during my ownership of Ikon from past 5 years (barring only 2 times) which is OK...
Old 12th July 2009, 20:23   #72
BHPian

Sorry. Forgot to mention: No offence to any Ford owners.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:01   #73
BHPian

I have been driving diesel cars from quite some time currently own Optra magnum and Palio D. I went to test drive i20 Diesel and was very impreseed. Hardly any turbo lag specially after driving Magnum. Car pulls from any gear. Refinement was top notch. Came back very impressed.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:06   #74
BHPian

Do not compare this car with Swift DDIS, its much more refined, better interior , better equipped. If you come to think about it, swift cost 5.8L in hyd and this cost 6.98L in hyd.That is 1.2L more than swift. It is undoubtly over priced but it is also far superior than Swift in ever sense.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like u know a lot about H cars.

Please tell me one parameter thats wrong in the Getz chassis and also how much u have tested this car....??

Last edited by kpzen : 12th July 2009 at 23:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks