Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 12:15   #16
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys!!

1st service has been done and I'll post that experience soon.
Old 9th July 2009, 12:32   #17
BHPian

Hey turbo1787, sorry man but I'll have to shoot down the idea for "safari lover", I don't change my loyalties that easily and I love the evolution 10 even more (may be someday it will bring me back from the world of SUV s)
Thanks for your wishes.
Old 9th July 2009, 14:14   #18
BHPian

Congrats Lancerlover!

really liked the way you summed up your buying experience in part 1 & 2. Totally agree. Moreover, if you having so much fun now, wait until you cross 5k and your 2.2 would be completely free. Thats when its more fun!
Old 9th July 2009, 17:15   #19
BHPian

Hi did you get oil change done at first service and which oil?
Old 10th July 2009, 12:00   #20
BHPian

Chaxy- Thanks man! yes even I am looking forward to that.

Vivek- oil wasn't changed and I didn't push on doing it, I feel it will be better if I get it changed once around 5k. It is actually quite strange (across all manufacturers) some workshops will insist on it while others are totally opposed to the idea of oil change at 1k. And I am basically neutral towards this whole issue, so will wait till the 5k service.

Also after going through your thread I can only say that don't loose your sleep over these issues -although unfortunate consider them the part of the safari package (for some people) I am sure all of your issues will be resolved soon.

I sincerely feel that people are overly critical and opinionated when it comes to Tata / Fiat ,yes they have certain issues with their QC and general fit and finish but so do most of the other manufacturers because of this perception we constantly look around for noises /issues/ abnormalities in our car (read linea/safari) from the day 1 instead of enjoying it( I have been guilty of doing it) and have suffered agony over issues I completely ignored when I bought my H badge.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:37   #21
BHPian

Congratulations.

The Safari will grow on you.
Do not have very high expectations and the safari will not let you down.

Liked the way you have summarised your buying and the initial driving experience.

I notice that the RVMs have the built in indicators. TM must have decided to keep this feature on all models.

Last edited by kingshukt : 10th July 2009 at 14:42.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:42   #22
BHPian

10,000 kms Update-The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

Its almost 10,000 km and I must say driving a Safari is addictive, now lets get straight to business.

The Good :
-Very comfortable to drive and to be in.
-Acceptable highway manners.
-Mileage -13 kmpl in the city & 16 kmpl on highways.
-Performance-2.2 vtt delivers what its designed for and the turbo boost brings smile on your face on that otherwise boring day.
-Even after 10 years still gets complimented on its looks.

The Bad:
-Everything squeaks/rattles- seats, dashboard, doors.
-Noise dampening- its pathetic eventhough the engine on the outside is quieter than many cars in the same league noise intrusion in the cabin is simply too much.
-Most of the TASS.

The Ugly:
-Alternator failure at 2000 kms (Mico Bosch make)- Rectifier plate broke, I heard a strange noise similar to that of a broken bearing changed my course and went straight to TASS.Noise was pin pointed to the alternator which was repaired by the mico guys but I wasn't satisfied as I wanted a new one, A couple of mails later got a call from the local Mico dealer that my new alternator has arrived and finally got it replaced.

-Radiator leakage at 8000 kms (Behr make)- The radiator fans were running for much more time than they usualy do so stopped to have alook under the bonnet and there was no coolant in the bottle. after the engine cooled down poured some 4litres of water in the radiator and I was off to TASS, I thought it was the water pump but was a bit relieved to know that its the radiator coil which has leaked.
They didn't have the behr one in stock so it was ordered but after waiting for 5 days decided to get the Tata Toyo (which they had) one fitted.

-Left pulling on braking, exactly the same problem as discussed by fellow forumers and the TASS has no solutions for it and want to work by the hit and trial method, have refused letting my car for any more road tests and asked them to order a left caliper (courtesy Rahul76 thread) but they are a bit reluctant as its a costly part, lets see what happens.

-Oil leak -Saw some oil on the floor in the morning, from the sunshine phase it was in my mood suddenly became grey as the shade of that oil. Another visit to TASS and the culprit was a slightly loose oil filter.I wonder why it happens with TATA and that too with chosen few who bought its Flagship product.

And in the meanwhile retro fitment (at 2nd service) was done which initially was supposed be 'A' category but eventually became 'C' category as the the mechanic while trying to open the timing belt cover broke a couple of bolts so the entire cover assembly had to be changed so everything that came out in the process was replaced.I have to mention here that the entire process was done very professionally with the proper tooling (torque wrenches etc) eliminating most apprehensions I had at that time.

OT -Scorpio feels like a mini SUV after driving a safari and I must say its the brilliant ergonomics of the Scorpio that makes driving it such a delight.

Last edited by lancerlover : 24th November 2009 at 14:55.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Lancerlover for completing the 10K kms on the best. Nice to see the comparision you did in the last line.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

very well balanced and honest update there @LancerLover

congrats on completing the 10k kms, and many more happy miles to come.

cheers
Old 24th November 2009, 16:44   #25
BHPian

honest writeup there! good to read through your experience after 10k.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:16   #26
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@lancerlover

Very nice report. I think you already knew what you are in for when you choose a Safari. So many problems with a new vehicle is not acceptable to say the least.

Wish you a very safe and problem-free driving. Hope the "ugly" things stop here and there are no more "uglier", "ugliest" points to write.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:45   #27
BHPian

Thanks for your wishes guys!
@MAS- I knew about the fit and finish issues and was aware of the indifferent attitude of TASS but wasn't expecting multiple part failures that too from companies like Bosch and Behr.Parts failure do happen in new vehicles but yes its a issue and a huge concern when multiple fail in one car.I hope No more 'the ugly' updates in future.(Keeping my fingers crossed)

P.S- I feel Bosch is taking its Indian operations very lightly ,alternator in my Scorpio failed just after eight months of purchase and mine wasn't the only one.

Last edited by lancerlover : 24th November 2009 at 17:50.
Old 24th November 2009, 19:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

lancerlover, congrats on completing 10,000 on the odo. Let's hope your beast remains in good condition henceforth.
Old 24th November 2009, 22:11   #29
BHPian

Were all the parts covered under warranty? I hope they are. I am more interested in the reluctance of Tata service people to replace under warranty.

I have faced some problems with TASS to get parts replaced under warranty and had to loose my temper a couple of times.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Performance-2.2 vtt delivers what its designed for and the turbo boost brings smile on your face on that otherwise boring day.
Congratulations on crossing the 10K mark.

A quick question - at what RPM does your turbo kick-in? By 'kick-in' I mean when do you start feeling the "pull" if you know what I mean? I am running in my 10 day old Safari EX and am not crossing 2000 RPM. At least within this RPM band, haven't been able to feel the surge!! Just trying to see if I need to get the ECU re-flashed or is it something I'd feel once I cross the 2000 RPM mark post run-in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks