Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 23:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

Got the car!

Guys,

Thanks for the best wishes. Got the car day before yesterday. PDI went smoothly, thanks to the TBHP primers. Will post pics soon. Have driven 250km in 2.5 days. It is a pleasure driving the car over bad roads and bumps - feeels solid. Have been pushing the car till 2.5K RPM (occasionaly 3K RPM - given that the redline starts at 6.5K RPM for SX4). Hope that I am not pushing it too much.

The black colour looks sexy.

Went to Karlsson today to check the car seat options. Decided on all black leather seats (with perforations at the sides).

The best thing about SX4: makes you feel that you can handle almost all that Indian roads can throw at you - crazy drivers, horrible bumps, potholes, Bangalore traffic, gravel trails and highway cruising. This is the reason why I chose SX4 over the 'higher brand equity' 2008 ANHC.

Bought a new car seat for my daughter (the deal -she can only get into the new car if she sits in the car seat); our dog also took a ride. Posting their pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Black SX4 Zxi booked. Update: delivery taken, and car being put through its paces.-img_5240.jpg  

Black SX4 Zxi booked. Update: delivery taken, and car being put through its paces.-img_5176.jpg  

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th August 2009 at 23:28.
Old 9th August 2009, 23:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

After taking delivery on Friday, took the car out for a 75km drive around Sarjapur (a small town outside Bangalore). Yesterday took it out for a drive on Nice Road (for non-Bangaloreans: a 3X3 road that is somewhat like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway). Loved the way she cruises (I refuse to fall for that 'men are back' brainwashing by confused Maruti brand managers).

Have a couple of questions for the pros:
1. Since the redline starts at 6.5K RPM, is it ok to take her up till 3K RPM during the run-in (till 1000km) period? I am doing it smoothly, without revving or hard braking.

2. When the car starts in neutral, the RPM needle hovers between 1K - 1.5K (instead of being at 0). Is this normal? The sales guy said that this is perfctly normal.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th August 2009 at 23:41.
Old 9th August 2009, 23:46   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
1. Since the redline starts at 6.5K RPM, is it ok to take her up till 3K RPM during the run-in (till 1000km) period? I am doing it smoothly, without revving or hard braking.

2. When the car starts in neutral, the RPM needle hovers between 1K - 1.5K (instead of being at 0). Is this normal? The sales guy said that this is perfctly normal.
1.3K should be fine,not more than that.I can understand your urge but hold it back for a month.I actually did 140 on my Swift during the 1st wk itself,lucky that the engine has managed to survive 35K till now without any problems

2.In neutral,1K in the tacho is fine(with AC on),it happens in my Swift,never bothered about it.

The snaps look wonderful and majestic.

On the lighter side,in the second snap is that an IIMC alumni?
Old 9th August 2009, 23:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
On the lighter side,in the second snap is that an IIMC alumni?
His owner is :-). Unfortunately, he wasn't born when I passed out. He is wearing my old t-shirt since it gets chilly in Bangalore.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th August 2009 at 23:54.
Old 10th August 2009, 00:15   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Car looks damn good! The dog looks really good! Dont know if it'the photography or what!

More than the car, I see a big fat P G Wodehouse in the bookshelf! Awesome! It looks like an Omnibus. Which volume is it?
Old 10th August 2009, 07:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any engine, diesel or petrol, generally idles at about 700-800 RPM range. With the AC the RPM should go up by max 100 RPM not more. If your vehicle is idling at anything above 1000 RPM, then its high. I would suggest getting it checked at the workshop.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2009, 09:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man, car looks stunning
Quote:
Hovering between 1K-1.5K is not right.

At start on Idle it should be, 1500 and then settles to 850 without AC and 950-1000 with AC. No Hovering at all except very little on fan start.
Old 10th August 2009, 09:25   #68
BHPian

Quote:
After taking delivery on Friday, took the car out for a 75km drive around Sarjapur (a small town outside Bangalore). Yesterday took it out for a drive on Nice Road (for non-Bangaloreans: a 3X3 road that is somewhat like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway). Loved the way she cruises (I refuse to fall for that 'men are back' brainwashing by confused Maruti brand managers).

1. I think it is safe to keep her (Since you insist he is not a man) around 2.5K RPM. In the 5th gear you can do slightly above 80Kmph at this RPM.

2. The Idle rpm is normally set at around 1k. In my case it is slightly below 1k i.e. 900 rpm. When you just start the engine in the morning, the rpm is slightly higher than idle (around 1.3k) and after a few minutes it will settle down at the idle rpm of 1k. This is normal

Last edited by nurni76 : 10th August 2009 at 09:29.
Old 10th August 2009, 09:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

"At start on Idle it should be, 1500 and then settles to 850 without AC and 950-1000 with AC."

"The Idle rpm is normally set at around 1k. In my case it is slightly below 1k i.e. 900 rpm. When you just start the engine in the morning, the rpm is slightly higher than idle (around 1.3k) and after a few minutes it will settle down at the idle rpm of 1k. This is normal"

This is what happens more or less - higher RPM when I start in the morning. So I guess things are fine.

@ rkbharat: The TBHP car running in article states that: "In a general case for an engine that maxes out at 4500rpm, stick to around 2500rpm max and only rarely go upto 3000rpm". So for an SX4, whose RPM maxes out at 8000, shouldn't 3000 RPM be safe? Isn't the thumb rule: 'not greater than 0.5 max RPM'?
Old 10th August 2009, 11:08   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what happens more or less - higher RPM when I start in the morning. So I guess things are fine.
But you said it Hovers, where I got the feeling that it continue hovering around that.

Quote:
@ rkbharat: The TBHP car running in article states that: "In a general case for an engine that maxes out at 4500rpm, stick to around 2500rpm max and only rarely go upto 3000rpm". So for an SX4, whose RPM maxes out at 8000, shouldn't 3000 RPM be safe? Isn't the thumb rule: 'not greater than 0.5 max RPM'?
Honestly speaking I kept it below 2500 RPM Max for first 1500 Km, and still car was fun to drive below 2.5K. Now its a beast
Old 10th August 2009, 11:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Nilanjanray,

The SX4 is red lined at 6.5 K. What is the mileage you have clocked till now? It is a good Idea to keep it below 2.5 K for the first 1k till you get the oil changed.
Old 10th August 2009, 11:24   #72
BHPian

Hi nilan

Firstly congrats for your new car, and welcome to the SX4 club, however i feel its a male rather as you thing. On the accessories front precisely on skirts front i would tell you that i have fitted those in my white SX4, look wise better but GC would go down by 1.5 inch. But nevertheless i was able to do a offroading to galibour fishing camp with 4 occupants in it where there was only walk path and stones but no roads, never touched the skirts though (depends on the speed and how you drive). But i would not recommend it. I had pay 28K for the whole kit including the boot spoiler in bimal.

Old 10th August 2009, 11:33   #73
BHPian

Quote:
"At start on Idle it should be, 1500 and then settles to 850 without AC and 950-1000 with AC."

"The Idle rpm is normally set at around 1k. In my case it is slightly below 1k i.e. 900 rpm. When you just start the engine in the morning, the rpm is slightly higher than idle (around 1.3k) and after a few minutes it will settle down at the idle rpm of 1k. This is normal"

I think the idling is fine if it is settling to 1k after the initial period and remains there or below. In my car, after 1st service the idling RPM came down to 800 and has stayed there till now.

I too would advice to keep the car under 2.5k RPM for the initial period. Why take risk

All the best
Old 10th August 2009, 13:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys - you have convinced me to limit the RPM to 2.5K max. I had touched 3K (100 km/hr) 3-4 times while driving on NICE road, but now I will wait till I do the 1st servicing. Car is doing fine - no niggles that I can identify. Car has done 310 km till now.

Btw, I checked the owner's manual - not much is written about the run-in period apart from standard stuff (no hard braking, avoid low speeds at high gears, maintain moderate RPMs, maintain different speeds etc.). No mention of recommended RPM or speed limit for each gear.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 10th August 2009 at 13:14.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:55   #75
Senior - BHPian

575 km done

575+ kms done. Went for a long drive today -through Kanakpura, and almost to Galibore Fishing Camp. Road was bad (for a < 1000km vehicle), so turned back after semi-offroading for a few kms. Was worried about the tyres and continuous 1st gear driving, but the car seems to have taken things on its stride (the reason why I went for SX4!).

Going for car seat fitting tomorrow at Karlssons. Opted for plain black + perforated black design.

Guys, need inputs:
1. I have to keep the car outside - in the sun. Worried about the paint + dust. Bought Waxpol wax and lots of 3M stuff (including shampoo, liquid wax, glass cleaner etc. Would they be enough to maintain the colour?

2. Have bought a car cover, but am thinking twice about putting it on everyday. What do you guys suggest?

3. Planning V-kool for windscreen. Is it worth it? How much would it cost?

4. Started hearing minor noises/squeaks from the drivers seat as it went through bad patches on the road. Is this normal for SX4, and does it get fixed in the 1st servicing?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th August 2009 at 19:09.

Most Viewed