Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 14:45   #1
BHPian

My Karadi - Hyundai Getz CRDi Electric Red

After a 2 month hunt, I took delivery of my Getz CRDi yesterday. I actually typed out a very long post and lost it a few minutes back! Let me try again.

The Search
Began in April this year when I realized the for the first time since starting up (3 years ago), I am financially secure enough to afford a car. And a car became a necessity with the importance of impressions in my work - consulting.

I started off looking at second hand cars.

Used Cars
I felt I could get good deals on used cars. Created a list of over 30 cars to check out. The short list had - Wagon R, Swift, Ford Ikon, Fiesta and Fiat Palio. Did hours of research and made a detailed excelt sheet of owner information.

Then, I went to my bank (SBI JP Nagar) who said they would not process used car loans. Then I also realized the crazy interest rates on used cars! With SBI's fantastic new car loan scheme, I decided that a new car it would be.

New Cars
From the outset, I didn't want a Maruti. Sedans were out of my budget. From the initial 3 lakh budget, I had gone up to 5 lakhs.

The Swift was also a little out of reach and I didnt particularly care for it.

The only car which excited me was the Palio. I read rave reviews everywhere!

Had a terrible experience with Tata-Fiat in Bangalore (Concorde and Prerana) and ditched them. I started off considering the 1.6 Sport and converted to MJD SDX. Then, no one seemed to be very keen to sell me the car. In any case, dad was not too happy about me spending 5.5 lakhs on Fiat!

I went over to Advaith Hyundai just to explore. And found out about the huge discount on the Getz CRDi. Again, having read Shyam's and KPZen's posts, I was already considering it. But had felt it was out of budget.

I felt it was a steal for 5.88 Lakh OTR. Dad was thrilled as well! Booked it on 14th June.

Strike One
On 17th June, Fiat plays a dirty joke on me - the Punto pricing blows everyone away! Especially me! Immediately, I called Advaith to ask about cancellation of booking. It would not be a problem.

Head over to Concorde. Launch in Blore is only on 18th. Bated breath.

18th June, 4 pm - Concorde Motors (Christ College). Launch not yet happened. I see 3 guys walking towards the garage with a sales chap. I follow. We are lead to a smashing Red Punto. Looks amazing!

But, after a few minuntes, it doesn't overwhelm me. Yeah...its a good car. Somehow, it didnt seem very exciting.

So, thee Getz it is going to be!

Strike Two
SBI decides to act crazy. I am processing the loan through my company. Since we dont have a credit history (apparently having enough in the account to buy 50 cars is not enough), they dont know how to process the loan. Advaith has already informed me that the car is ready for delivery!

It will take minimum 20 days for the loan processing. I ask them to stop. And try to process the loan as an individual. After 3 more days, the guy says that he can approve me for only 2.5 lakh. I need 4.5 lakh.

I walk straight out and cross the road to go to HDFC Bank.

And the world conspires...
To make my dream come true. Dealing with HDFC is a breeze. I can reach the guy anytime. They know how to process a company car loan. Exactly know which documents are needed. Very accurate timelines.

All documents are collected from my office. I dont have to run around at all!

(Yeah...its a long post. Here are some pictures for staying put!)
My Karadi - Hyundai Getz CRDi Electric Red-car-1.jpg
My Karadi - Hyundai Getz CRDi Electric Red-car-2.jpg

And Finally...
On 3rd July, my loan is approved. Dealer gets the money on Tuesday. They go for registration on Wednesday. Delivery expected on Friday. HDFC also saves me 3,000 Rs by processing the insurance through Bajaj Allianz.

Out of the blue, I get a call on Thursday (yesterday) asking me to pick up the car! I call up mom to ask about the correct time to take delivery. Call dad and ask him to come and pick up mom and me.

At 4:30 pm we arrive at Advaith (residency road). Again, it is a pleasure to deal with them! The car is all ready. The papers are ready. I do a quick PDI (it was raining). The thing I loved was that they know that all you want to do is get in the car and drive away! They dont waste a minute.

Collect the documents, chocolates, keys from the guy. Quick hug to mom and dad. Dad walks away to his car. And for the first time ever...I walk towards mine!

First Drive
Mom sits with me in the new car. In my excitement, I forget to adjust anything - seat, steering, back rest, mirrors. I just want to drive the beast! This is the first time I am in a Getz. Ever in my life. I bought the car without a TD.

Destination is a temple in jayanagar for the pooja. Slow crawl - 40 mins from Advaith to temple. I experience the Turbo for the first time near Vellara Junction. Huge grin on my face. Mom trying hard not to let out a little scream.

It is a little difficult to keep the car in check in traffic. She just wants to be let free!

(Patience always gets rewarded - 2 more pics)

My Karadi - Hyundai Getz CRDi Electric Red-car-3.jpg
My Karadi - Hyundai Getz CRDi Electric Red-car-4.jpg

Reach the temple - priest explodes a coconut right in front of the car. I am sure he has been responsible for loads of "first scratches". Mercifully, I was spared.

First treat for mom and dad at Maiya's. Bangaloreans - do not miss this place. It is to die for!

A couple fo short drives in the night to show off the car. And tucked it in for the day. Dirty with Mr. Pujari's and Mr. Rain God's efforts.

The morning after
Woke up and rushed to the window to admire her! Felt a little foolish...but what the hell!

Went out for my cycle ride. Came back and took up the mop and bucket. 30 misn later...she's a sight to behold!

Then an agonizing wait for my lunch to get packed. Finally, I hit the road. On the short 6 km drive to office, I am able to get a glimpse of her power. I hit 90 kmph in 5th with so much more to come!

Now, I sit in office and type this out. And try to get my friends to agree on a weekend trip (next).

Will be doing a long inside city drive of about 50 km today.

Bottom line
She's mine. I love her! She is my Karadi (nickname to irritate those who get irritated)

I love
  • The engine. Period.
  • The space. The boot. The rear seats.
  • The looks and interiors. Subjective matter. I like it. Understated. Classy.
  • Useful cubby holes in the front.
  • The price. Its a steal.
Dont like, but will get used to
  • Visibility - problem with most cars these days. 2 or three major blind spots.
  • Notchy gears
  • The fact that I cant plug my blackberry (pearl) into the USB of my ICE
  • The reverse gear - unnecessary precaution
Cannot believe that:
  • There is no option for ABS and Airbags
My Karadi - Hyundai Getz CRDi Electric Red-car-5.jpg
My Karadi - Hyundai Getz CRDi Electric Red-car-6.jpg
My Karadi - Hyundai Getz CRDi Electric Red-car-7.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. These are with my phone camera!

Thanks to everyone at TBHP for their advice and support. I will update this thread with driving reports from now. Thanks for bearing with the analysis of buying experience!

Cheers!
Sandeep.

PS: It felt SO good to pay just 1500 Rs for 40 litres of fuel!!!
Old 10th July 2009, 21:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Welcome to the Getz CRDi club. Take some time to get used to the torque and power . Stay below 2500 rpm till the first service.

The gear shift will become smooth after the first service. Patience till then.

Can you post some interior pictures?
Old 10th July 2009, 21:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats indigoedge! Welcome to the club.

By the look of it, had Hyundai priced this beast under 6L on-road when it was launched, I am sure there would have a been lot more Getz CRDi and atleast bit lesser Swifts VDi on roads
Old 10th July 2009, 21:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! the car looks a beauty. You get lot of satisfaction to fill 40 ltrs for Rs.1500.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi, that was a nice review about your shopping. Congrats.

Get a tyre upgrade asap

And it came with ICE???
Old 11th July 2009, 08:32   #6
BHPian

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Congrats. Welcome to the Getz CRDi club. Take some time to get used to the torque and power . Stay below 2500 rpm till the first service.

The gear shift will become smooth after the first service. Patience till then.

Can you post some interior pictures?
Thanks mate! Yeah...the torque is crazy! Especially since this is the first ever diesel car I have driven...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Congrats indigoedge! Welcome to the club.

By the look of it, had Hyundai priced this beast under 6L on-road when it was launched, I am sure there would have a been lot more Getz CRDi and atleast bit lesser Swifts VDi on roads
Thanks Phoenix! Been following your thread as well. Thats a mean car you got...esp after all the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Congrats! the car looks a beauty. You get lot of satisfaction to fill 40 ltrs for Rs.1500.
Thanks! Hahaha...absolutely! And the added average to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Hi, that was a nice review about your shopping. Congrats.

Get a tyre upgrade asap

And it came with ICE???
Thanks JK! ICE came from my pocket. Very basic system though. The pocket has a big gaping hole for now. So, no tyre upgrades in the near future!
Old 11th July 2009, 08:56   #7
BHPian

Day 2 - 150 kms

Just could not resist. Took her out on the highway on Day 2 (Friday).

Route
Banashankari -> Marathalli
Marathalli -> Town Hall (through terrible traffic)
Mysore Road -> Kamat Lokaruchi (Just after Ramanagara)
Return to Jayanagar via Vijayanagar

Total Distance
In the city - 60 km
Highway - 90 km

Observations
It is getting easier to handletraffic. The car still tends to shoot away in second gear at times!

I was driving at the worst possible time - just after sunset. Visibility with the headlights was awful.

There is no match for Karadi on the highway. Overtaking even in 5th is no sweat!

NVH - Noise Negligible. There is decent sound insulation. There is engine sound between 90 and 100 kmph. But it is not very high.

Since this is the first diesel I have driven, I tend to cause vibration due to the driving style. Have to learn to shift gears at slightly higher speeds to avoid the vibration.

Steering is quite brilliant! It is not too light at high speeds. Brilliant feedback. Turning radius is fantastic as well.

Using the dead pedal takes getting used to. I have to consciously remind myself.

The steering height adjust is a God Send!

Would have been great to have the seat height adjust as well. Feel it lacks a couple of inches for good thigh support. Might look at putting a thicker cushion etc after a few more long drives.

Top speed reached was 125 kmph without realizing it! I thought I was cruising. It was under 2500 rpm in 5th. Loads of throttle left!

Didnt have the famed braking problem until I had to make a really emergency braking. This was within the city on the return journey. An idiot on a RX 135 decided to cut right acroos from the left extreme to make a right turn on an empty road.
I was at about 50 kmph in 3rd gear, 2000 rpm. Had to slam the brakes. Wheels locked. Skidded 7-10 feet. Thankfully no damage.
So, yes - I do feel that the braking is quite inadequate. However, I will reserve final judgment for a few more kms. Maybe I need to learn to use it better.

I felt the stock tyres offer pretty decent grip as well. They have given me Goodyear. Quite a few times on the highway I had to weave in and out and in through the buses and autos at 80-90 kmph. No sweat!

Suspension - Felt good...no complaints. I dont know what the cause of the pitching while braking. It could be due to a slightly soft suspension. JK/ Phoenix - any ideas?

All in all - A very comfortable ride for driver and passengers. What I wouldn't give for ABS! Sigh!

But in the end...no regrets. It is just so much fun!
Old 11th July 2009, 10:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
ICE came from my pocket. Very basic system though. The pocket has a big gaping hole for now. So, no tyre upgrades in the near future!
Ouch!! You should have gone with the Tire now, and the ICE later (thats what I did!) Two reasons- First being the stock tires are dangerous for a beast like this, unless you drive it like "any other regular hatch"

The second reason is that you will get an exchange value for the stock tires if u have it changed within the first 100 or 200 KMS, which you will not if you keep it for later...
Old 11th July 2009, 12:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.
Are all the gear notchy or only the reverse gear ?

I advise u to change the tires immediately. Running this car on stock tires is suicidal.

Have fun, Drive safe.
Old 11th July 2009, 15:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was at about 50 kmph in 3rd gear, 2000 rpm. Had to slam the brakes. Wheels locked. Skidded 7-10 feet. Thankfully no damage.
So, yes - I do feel that the braking is quite inadequate. However, I will reserve final judgment for a few more kms. Maybe I need to learn to use it better.
@ indigoedge, it is not the brakes but the tires .Change the tires, and you would be a lot more confident about the braking. My S.Drives stop, and thats it- no wheel locks and skids at all.

Quote:
Suspension - Felt good...no complaints. I dont know what the cause of the pitching while braking. It could be due to a slightly soft suspension. JK/ Phoenix - any ideas?
The suspension is tad soft, couple that with a heavy nose- coz of the stonker churning our 235Nm up front
Old 11th July 2009, 16:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Congrats, I couldn't help but smile at all the excitement of the first car. I am trying to remember it, but it was 16 years back, can't remember much. Also, this is the first I am seeing somebody calling their car as Bear, better than beast I suppose.

Quote:
Then, I went to my bank (SBI JP Nagar) who said they would not process used car loans. Then I also realized the crazy interest rates on used cars! With SBI's fantastic new car loan scheme, I decided that a new car it would be.
I walk straight out and cross the road to go to HDFC Bank.
You are referring to 24th Main Rd I suppose. I started my company banking with this HDFC branch. Turned out to be very good for me.

Quote:
To make my dream come true. Dealing with HDFC is a breeze. I can reach the guy anytime. They know how to process a company car loan. Exactly know which documents are needed. Very accurate timelines.
Exactly, I have taken two loans with HDFC until now and you don't have to visit the branch.

Quote:
This is the first time I am in a Getz. Ever in my life. I bought the car without a TD.
Wow! You bought without TD.

Wish you a great time with your first car, a new one too. I had to wait for my 4th purchase for a new car.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th July 2009 at 16:18.
Old 11th July 2009, 17:56   #12
BHPian

Congrats Sandeep! All the best drive safe. About the brake instead of slamming it hard try to hold back a little it won't lock and stopping will be faster. Car looks great take really good care of it.
Old 12th July 2009, 00:42   #13
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your pocket rocket!!! I wish i can get one too .............
Old 12th July 2009, 00:42   #14
BHPian

congratz dude!
enjoy the beast!

what the hell means karadi??
Old 12th July 2009, 16:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratz dude!
enjoy the beast!

what the hell means karadi??