Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 13:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Congrats Swayer !

Please post pictures, specially the rear leg room with front seat at fully back, if possible.
Why would you want to see the leg room with the front seat fully back without knowing if that will allow your legs to reach the front pedals? What matter is the space left behind you after you are comfortable in the drivers seat, and that can only be judged in person in a car. But there is more space behind me for a passenger than there was in the GP that I checked out, and I am 6ft. Rear seat comfort is good at the back with my driving position, but the seats are low, so it will be a struggle to climb out for people with bad backs.
Old 12th July 2009, 13:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Congrats Swayer !

Please post pictures, specially the rear leg room with front seat at fully back, if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Congrats on your second new buy ! Do provide us with more updated reviews as you build more mileage on the i20. Is it going to be more of 'Spark for the city and i20 for the highway' ? And of course, the i20 when there are more passengers / luggage ?
You are correct about the applications for each car - and that is why I decided to buy these two as opposed to one City. The i 20 is for the highway, its just my wife and I these days, so its hardly ever that I drive out of Pune with more than the two of us.
Old 13th July 2009, 07:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Congratulations on your I20! You won't go wrong with this car. Typically good quality & good service!
3M installation quality is as good I would say. I had it on my Palio & NHC, had no issues for 3 years!
Thanks - re the 3M, my problem is that I need to know a good installer in Pune, and I am not sure I know how to find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Congratulations buddy on your white i20. Is it CRDi?? I could not make up my mind for white as I am scared of highlighted any dents or scratches... I am waiting for my Silver CRDi and I am told 1.5 months waiting
If that is the only reason for not preferring white, I suggest you do not worry. Having used many white cars, and one silver one, both colors are equally good or bad at the dent subject. And white is easier to touch up at home on minor scratches. Wait for silver only if you prefer it as a color to the white. As I said, my primary reason for white was the fact it allows for the least amount of heat build up inside the car under a strong summer sun.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th July 2009 at 08:55. Reason: Please use the same post to manage content for upto 20 mins, by using the EDIT button
Old 13th July 2009, 18:13   #19
BHPian

Congrats Sawyer, I too own a Red Asta, and for the large part very happy with it. I believe Hyundai has indeed come a long way on quality and service parameters and the i20 is a global car which clinched the deal for me. You hit the nail on the head that it has no real character (or quirks) and is a breeze to drive in crowded cities. Enjoy your car!
Old 13th July 2009, 19:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Why would you want to see the leg room with the front seat fully back without knowing if that will allow your legs to reach the front pedals? What matter is the space left behind you after you are comfortable in the drivers seat, and that can only be judged in person in a car. But there is more space behind me for a passenger than there was in the GP that I checked out, and I am 6ft. Rear seat comfort is good at the back with my driving position, but the seats are low, so it will be a struggle to climb out for people with bad backs.
Congrats on your new purchase, The above comments make absolute sense to me, whenever i TD a car, I ask my wife if she is comfortable in the rear, she in turn asks me, have you positioned yourself aptly for driving and then answers my question. Irrespective of the car, it matters about the driving position and comfort levels of getting in and out of the car rather than the available knee room. Having said this, i also agree that the knee room does play a role but along with other comforts.
Old 14th July 2009, 06:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
Congrats Sawyer, I too own a Red Asta, and for the large part very happy with it. I believe Hyundai has indeed come a long way on quality and service parameters and the i20 is a global car which clinched the deal for me. You hit the nail on the head that it has no real character (or quirks) and is a breeze to drive in crowded cities. Enjoy your car!
Thanks. Good luck with your Asta too - the red is a brilliant color, and the only reason that I did not go for that is because I had a car of just that color for a few years in the recent past. I was in the fortunate position of being able to buy upto a City. Bought an i20 and a Spark instead. The Spark is even more of a breeze in crowded cities! Finding a parking spot is no longer a project by itself. And I will be happy if the i20 remains character free all its life with me too, if you know what I mean. That will leave me with the time and energy to deal with some other important things in life.....notice that I am not saying more important for fear of being expelled from the forum
Old 14th July 2009, 06:26   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. V-Kool does really help in improving the internal comfort and also cuts the glare from both sunlight and lights.

Have fun and drive safe.
Old 14th July 2009, 06:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Car is just back from VKool fitment, and the installer has done the usual neat job - he is able to take the car inside the shop, and shut the doors to keep dust out as a first step. The film for the windshield is expensive - it has the highest level of light transmission and the highest level of heat rejection of all their films, and I guess that combination calls for technology that earns the right to the price charged for it. Modern car design is totally unsuited for countries such as ours. The slanted windscreens are now getting to be like angled sunroofs, and leave a lot of you, if in the front seat, in sunlight, for most of the year, and for a large part of the day. Plus, the cutting of trees to widen the roads means that there is a lot more sun and glare to deal with. The older cars where the roof extended a lot further, actually were better for Indian conditions. In the new ones, 60% of the sun's impact is via the front windshield. Never done a ROI exercise, but for a car one intends to keep for 5 years, I think it makes economic sense. Driving comfort in the day and night, the latter for cutting the glare of headlights at high beam, lower load on the AC, better FE consequently, and conserving the plastics on the front dash - even the steering wheel actually. With zero impact on visibility - both inside out for the driver and outside in for the police. This is one accessory where I believe that it makes sense to not skimp. Having said that, the 3M CR series is better specced on paper, but I could not locate an installer that I had confidence in.
Old 14th July 2009, 07:03   #24
BHPian

Congrats Sawyer on purchasing one of the best hatches available in Indian market. How much did the Vkool Sunfilms cost you? Can you please post some pics of your white beauty just to have a feel of it? One more question - How is the power of 1.2 kappa engine at lower RPMs? Did you check the FE of the vehicle from the date of purchase?
I'm not very techie, hence please comment on it's performance, ride/handling, overall driving comfort within city..Thanks.

-Vish
Old 14th July 2009, 15:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Vish, thanks. The total cost was Rs 19k, of this 12k was for just the front windshield. The engine needs to be in its power band and it will not pull happily at low rpms, and I suspect the problem is even more noticeable in second - it is not a torque engine, even allowing for the fact that it is not a diesel. But the gear shifts are not a burden, so I am ok with that, particularly since I love to have any excuse to downshift and play with the gearbox! In any case, I prefer to never lug any engine at low rpms. Too soon for an FE report, but the car is meeting all my expectations so far of a modern, well designed, well screwed together hatch. Interior fit and finish is class leading, and reminds me a lot of my 2004 CRV I sold last year. Depending on budget and parking constraints, I would have no hesitation in recommending either the i10 or the i20 to city folks that do the occassional highway jaunt. In some ways, if the rear seat is not going to be used a lot, the i10 kappa may well be the better buy. Check both out thoroughly. My wife was not too happy about the rear seat/ride of the i10, so that went out of the window. She is thrilled to bits with the i 20, so that is icing on the cake. I knew that the 1.4 engine is on its way, but these days I am getting to be more conscious of the need to use just as much as I really need, so the 1.2 made more sense to me.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Vish, thanks. The total cost was Rs 19k, of this 12k was for just the front windshield.
That's not bad. Did you take a quote for the 3M too? How much was it? Can you please post pictures of your car post the sunfilm installation? I need to get them for my Punto too and I am swinging between 3M, Llumar and V-Kool.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

The equivalent spec CR70/50 combination for 3M - I was quoted Rs 12k for the lot. I was not confident of the install quality, so I did not take the risk. If you are better placed in that aspect, I think 3M would be just as good and therefore more VFM. You will not be able to see much in pics, my films do not change the appearance of the car by any significant degree, they just do the job.
As a V Kool user for 5 years now, that is what I would stick with, in the ultimate analysis. Somethings, one pays a premium for. Given how much you have spent on the car, the extra for V Kool may well be worth it. Be sure to then get it done only at a legitimate VKool outlet. Good luck and enjoy the Fiat!
Old 14th July 2009, 15:29   #28
BHPian

Sometime back i was reading a post by a fellow bhpian about checking the sun control films for their purpose, like how much it can control the UV, sun light and glare through the use of some gadgets. By any chance are you aware of those and have you done those on the V-Kool and check?
Old 14th July 2009, 15:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

sawyer, congrats on your uber cool i20, looks perfectly superb in white.Keep updating on your ride and do share pics when you feel to.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
sawyer, congrats on your uber cool i20, looks perfectly superb in white.Keep updating on your ride and do share pics when you feel to.
About the pix, I guess I am going to have to learn now to do that, because that seems to be the done thing here, even for bog standard cars. Also, I have to figure out how to hide the reg number, because I read that dire things may happen to me if I don't - so that's two things to learn. As soon as I find the time to do that, my friend

About the V Kool, no, I have no clue about how to test, I tend to trust the brand, and make sure I do not buy grey market. Remember too, I have used the films for over 5 years now.

Last edited by Sawyer : 14th July 2009 at 15:53. Reason: Added the vkool response

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks