Team-BHP - Arrival of my new Hyundai i20 Asta (1.2 Kappa)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Arrival of my new Hyundai i20 Asta (1.2 Kappa) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/61548-arrival-my-new-hyundai-i20-asta-1-2-kappa.html)

Took delivery two days ago, and my first impressions and actions:

1. Bought the car as a highway and city drive, to keep for 5 years, with minimum service hassles, after checking out the Ritz and the Grande Punto. I thought that the overall ( including *** ) package suited my needs best. At my age, I am past the power urge, and prefer refinement and FE.

2. Bought a white car, because white makes a small car look big, is easy to touch up, and remains the coolest under the strong Indian sun.

3. The Rs 90k premium over the Magna is attractive in terms of what you get for it - ABS/EBD, 2 airbags, alloys, wider section rubber, climate control, internally adjusting ORVMs given the internal width of the car, USB socket being the ones that come to mind. Makes it easier to spend the extra cash, knowing that it is not for just bells and whistles as in the Spark, for which there is a separate post.

4. Retyred the wheels to same size Michelins. I first used Michelins for 4 years in my 1995 Zen, and they did outstanding duty. They actually make the car look a little less imposing compared to the OE Acceleres and my wife thinks I made a mistake for that reason - but ladies will be ladies for the large part! I just feel safer on Michelins.

5. Will put V Kool 70 on the front glass and X 68 gold dust film on the rest. I find that it makes a huge difference to internal comfort, and logically, it would pay for itself in terms of reduced load on the AC, marginally better FE, and keeping the interior plastics in better shape and color. I also find that the VK70 cuts daylight and headlight glare remarkably well, and one quite gets used to that benefit. The 3M CR series films are better specced, and a lot cheaper, but I am not sure about the install quality. Finally, that is what delivers the product quality for the time I want to keep the car, so V Kool it remains.

6. Other than this, the car needs nothing, to my mind.

7. First impressions remain good - the engine is good enough if one uses the box to keep it in the power band, the AC works well enough, though is not an out and out chiller. Sized with respect to the engine power, I guess. Ride is solid, but stiff kneed over the larger road bumps. ORVMs are a little small in glass area, but that also maybe because I am used to the panorama that my Pajero ORVMs provide! Seats are a little low, so older people with back problems will struggle a bit in and out. More out than in. I would have preferred a grey beige combination to the chocolate beige one, because I like the chocolate color only for the stuff one eats! But Koreans tend to have their own design quirks.

More later, though given the nature of the car, I do not expect much by way of more. Just solid, unspectacular motoring. Has its virtues! For a difference of Rs 90k over the top spec Ritz, I think this car is a better option if you have the spare cash. Which means that the Magna, for the price of the top spec Ritz is perhaps the better buy.

Looks like slowly and steadily I20 is gaining more market acceptance. After GP, I am also thinking that I20 is best hatch above Swift.
Considering the demand of the car, I dont expect this, but were any freebies given by dealer ?

Do post pictures of the car and if possible report FE too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1380370)
Looks like slowly and steadily I20 is gaining more market acceptance. After GP, I am also thinking that I20 is best hatch above Swift.
Considering the demand of the car, I dont expect this, but were any freebies given by dealer ?

Do post pictures of the car and if possible report FE too.

No freebies, except for the mudguards and floor mats. I saved on insurance by doing it myself. Haven't posted any pictures because it is the same car that others have bought and posted pictures of, no mods done or planned. I will post the FE as I refill the tank.
I tested the Jazz too, and found the i20 to be the better car for my use. The jazz is very well packaged inside, and better finished, but the i20 will be better planted on the highway, if nothing else, because of the stance driven lower CG. The extra money to be paid for the Jazz made the decision to not buy it a no brainer for me. I also think that from the outside the i20 is a better looking car. And Hyundai service is on par with the best in the country.

Congratulations on the i20.
Where did you get the VKool installed? How much did it cost?

Congrats. A car I would buy today if I had the money.

Dont compare the built quality of a Suzuki with Hyundai! The Ritz I checked out had pathetic built quality and looks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raja (Post 1380394)
Congratulations on the i20.
Where did you get the VKool installed? How much did it cost?

It will be installed tomorrow, at their outlet in Baner. Approx total cost is Rs 20k - of that, Rs 12k is for just the front glass. 3m quoted me Rs12k for the CR films all around, that seems to be just as good, even better actually, from the spec. I am not confident about the installation quality though, hence I will stick to V KOOL.

Congrats! i20 looks HOT in white! Great car. Where are the pictures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit (Post 1380456)
Congrats! i20 looks HOT in white! Great car. Where are the pictures?

Thank you. Its an unmodded car, so I wasnt thinking of putting up pictures, it would be just another i20. Plenty of those on road, and in pictures on this site.

Congrats Swayer !

Please post pictures, specially the rear leg room with front seat at fully back, if possible.

Congratulations on your I20! You won't go wrong with this car. Typically good quality & good service!
3M installation quality is as good I would say. I had it on my Palio & NHC, had no issues for 3 years!

Congrats on your second new buy ! Do provide us with more updated reviews as you build more mileage on the i20. Is it going to be more of 'Spark for the city and i20 for the highway' ? And of course, the i20 when there are more passengers / luggage ?

congrats on your buy. how is the turbo lag?

Congratulations buddy on your white i20. Is it CRDi?? I could not make up my mind for white as I am scared of highlighted any dents or scratches... I am waiting for my Silver CRDi and I am told 1.5 months waiting :uncontrol

congrats on your i20 did u buy the crdi

Quote:

Originally Posted by rupinder (Post 1380589)
congrats on your i20 did u buy the crdi

No, I got the existing 1.2 kappa. Diesel does not appeal to me in small cars and I will not drive it that much, to justify it. One small diesel in the Uno was enough for me. The car worked fine, but it did not justify the additional spend. And because I overmaintain my cars, the diesels tend to be more expensive in my hands.