Team-BHP - New Spark PS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   New Spark PS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/61549-new-spark-ps.html)

I took delivery of a new Spark PS two days ago, coincidentally, just as GM came out of bankruptcy.
Thoughts:

1. I wanted a cheap city runabout that can be used in the rough and tumble of city driving, with good FE, and reasonable ride, for a price. The Alto proved to be very cramped, and the A Star terrible in ergonomics with a " I can't see anything outside the car" kind of gut response! I was also buying an i20, which kind of ruled out the i10, though I was considering the lowest end i10, that has no power steering. Couldn't get hold of one for a test drive though, that was a downer.

2. The Karl Slym media blitz and the look/feel of the local dealer was convincing enough to let me take the investment risk, though I would not do so for a Captiva size of layout at this time.

3. Since I was ok without ABS and airbags, I was ok with the base model - all the options that GM offers as standard variants are, to my minds, rip offs. Except perhaps for the rear seat head restraints. They are making all their profits on the car by charging fancy prices for what essentially are bells and whistles. Did not make any sense for me. Indeed, if I had gotten the color I wanted - see the next note - I would have done without the power steering. A car this small does not need it to be very honest. I drove a Zen in the nineties, and did not miss it for a day.

4. I did not like the looks of the new beige and I compromised on the exterior color to get the old grey themed car - end of the day, personally, one has to live more with the interiors! I therefore could not get the base model, so settled for the one with power steering.

5. All the car needed as accessories was a left side ORVM, and mud guards. I actually prefer the wheels without the caps, because they suit the spare look of the car and are easier to keep clean.

6. Retyred the OE acceleres to Michelins - personal preference.

7. Will install V kool 70 on the front glass to cut heat, glare, and to conserve the plastics. With K 37 on other glass. And give the engine all the help it can get by reducing the AC load.

8. Another reason for buying a bare bones car is that there are less things to go wrong. I can't help think that a power window mechanism for the price point of the car is also not going to be very robust. Don't need a parcel shelf either and save myself from the noise of one that rattles.

9. First driving impressions - drives like a toy! In a good sense though. AC chills the car, but the test will be in summer. The engine is a little tight, hopefully it will free up as the days go. Ride is as good as one can get at the price point. Feels better at the rear than the i10, that one seemed to be very stiff over road bumps. Interior plastics seem decent, and I am glad I got the last of grey ones. Need to put some grips on the dinky steering wheel, my hands keep sliding down from the ten to two position. Great to drive a car that turns on a dime - after using a Palio and Pajero these last years, that is a nice thing to have in the city. Very light clutch - I wish it has a little more feel to it actually. Good all round visibility, required in city traffic and parking spots. Not an e way car though, does not feel planted to the extent I prefer. But that is not where it will be used, so that's ok.

All in all, a great little city runabout - if you can get over the pride of ownership and looks thing, the cheapest is the best buy for city use. Unless you need the one with ABS/alloys/airbags, but that takes it to a price point where there are probably better options.

Congrats on your new car Sawyer ! Nice little first drive impressions ! Do let us know how it performs once you start putting on the kilometres ! And I actually like the looks of the Spark !

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannan666 (Post 1380387)
Congrats on your new car Sawyer ! Nice little first drive impressions ! Do let us know how it performs once you start putting on the kilometres ! And I actually like the looks of the Spark !

Great buy, the beige interiors are a bad thing that GM decided to do. Anyway, which dealer did you buy it from? How much was it on road? We planning to buy a bare bones Spark for my sis hence asking. I am from Pune.

So you've bought two cars on the same day!:Shockked: Even your i20 thread says you got the car delivered two days back..and now even this one!
Congrats!clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by theragingbull (Post 1380480)
So you've bought two cars on the same day!:Shockked: Even your i20 thread says you got the car delivered two days back..and now even this one!
Congrats!clap:

Well yes, thanks - I bought these two instead of one City. This way I have something for each application!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi1309 (Post 1380438)
Great buy, the beige interiors are a bad thing that GM decided to do. Anyway, which dealer did you buy it from? How much was it on road? We planning to buy a bare bones Spark for my sis hence asking. I am from Pune.

Pashankar at Baner. Rs 3.23 lakhs on road, self insurance. Got the left ORVM, mudguards, and mats thrown in. Not too many grey interiors left now, so if that is what you must have, you may have to hurry.

Nice Review,
I like the Beige interiors than the Grey one.
Anyway, it's a personal preference....

Congrats Sawyer!!! I'm sure you will enjoy driving this car, especially in the city. I bought mine in Jan 2008.Except for a few issues with the AC(Sorted out now), I have no complaints with my black spark.

Congrats @Sawyer. Photos kuthe aahe ?
I'd beg to differ on the PS part. I found it extremely uncomfortable to drive my cousin's spark w/o PS. I switched seats within 15 mins. Guess the zens spoilt me.
But, you may have powerful forearms :)

Can we have some pics please?Spark's motor is told be a fun to drive revvy engine any comments on the same?

Congrats on the Spark! After maintaining a FIAT , hopefully this will be a breeze :D.

Had driven a colleague's non PS Matiz, some time back and had found it to be a rev happy car. Is it the same 800 cc engine still or has been upgraded.

And pics pleaseplease:

The engine has been upgraded from the Matiz , if I am not mistaken its a 1.0 L engine now. Primarily changes have also been made to ensure that the car can take the load of a/c and still maintain pulling power. It was a sordid problem with the Matiz - so bad that a hawaldar actually fined me as I pulled away in green and shifted gears too quickly to the second. The car did not pull in a/c in the second gear and by the time I crossed the major junction it was red. My pleas fell on deaf ears.

Coming back to the car, I guess without PS it may be ok , but I definitely recommend it. Power windows may be a personal choice , but parking in tough spots is definitely aided by the PS.

But a lovely choice of a car - could you please post pictures? Did you manage to get any discounts ? What was the final OTR price?

congrats on your new buy sawyer, i am always an admirer of spark, hoping to see pics of your car and how was your dealership experience.

Congrats on your purchase! Am looking forward to some pics of the car :)

Congrats Sawyer on your purchase of Spark. Please do post the pics of the car both external and internal