Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 11:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations sid!
But one warning, Never put in high speed diesel. always use normal diesel only. Almost all Tata guys I have met have told me not to put in any additives or additive laden fuel.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:07   #17
BHPian

Thanks everybody,

Suresh: I have to check whether I have the warranty card for the anti rust treatement, but i have the extended warranty and teflon coating papers. Will do this today in the evening.

Sultan: Regarding the NCB boy did I get frustrated or what! First I had to get the registration of my old vehicle transferred to my Mom. My previous insurance was with New India Assuarance Co. ltd. Here I had to submit a copy of the RC book and an application for retention of NCB (35%). I got the NCB retention certificate in 30 minutes. Now i wanted to take up the new insurance with ICICI lombard as my wife works for ICICI bank (quote- Rs.24K). The guy from lombard took the engine & chassis number and a cheque for the same. But in the evening he called to say there is some hiccup and that we had to go to New India Assuarnce the next day to sort it out, it seems they had retained teh NCB with themselves and ICICI lombard cannot take up the insurance of teh new vehicle, even teh Lombard guy got convinced that they could not take up the insurance. So I contacted our old agent and to my surprise he said he will get it done from Oriental Insurance at Rs.21K. I don't know how this works, why could ICICI lombard not give me the 35% discount and how could Oriental do it. Anyways got the cover note issued in 30 minutes here.

Karthik: I shall get the leather seats checked, do you advise faux leather seats over the OEM's.

Abes: The faux wood panelling is quite ugly, but I guess you get aftermarket replacement panels. will have to look around. Will also check the mat. The rear extra floor mats are worse, they flow over the ashtray and lighter. And as Suman has pointed out the small switch is for 4X4 engagement, though would have loved a gear shift for it like in the Pajero's
Old 15th July 2009, 11:20   #18
BHPian

Hi speed diesel

The recommended fuel by TML is high speed diesel
If you say so i'll stop filling hi speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Congratulations sid!
But one warning, Never put in high speed diesel. always use normal diesel only. Almost all Tata guys I have met have told me not to put in any additives or additive laden fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Vx 4x4 Pearl White-fuel.jpg  

Old 15th July 2009, 11:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
After filling her up to the gills with Hi Speed Diesel we went to get Yokohama Geolander AT’s fixed.
Quote:
Congratulations sid!
As warned by tsk1979, I will reiterate that Hi-Speed Diesel is poison for any Common Rail Engine car and slowly kill your engine. So, Please refrain from using this diesel.

We have only one advice for all Safari customers when taking delivery:

"Normal (non-additive) fuel and scheduled engine oil top-ups and you'll never have engine troubles." Also, It would help if your local fuel station is tested to provide non-adulterated fuel.

Congrats on your buy and I am sure you'll cherish your decision in time to come.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

Yes Tata recommends High Speed Diesel, but they are referring to the generic HSD. not the HP brand name High Speed diesel. HSD is actually the normal diesel you get in pumps confirming to BS-III norms
Old 15th July 2009, 11:51   #21
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ! Your 'Bull' looks handsome ! Will wait for your travelouges now
Old 15th July 2009, 11:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Tata recommends High Speed Diesel, but they are referring to the generic HSD. not the HP brand name High Speed diesel. HSD is actually the normal diesel you get in pumps confirming to BS-III norms

Even TATA recommends mix Kerosene (or ATF) with diesel . It is hilarious. First ever I saw officially to use Kerosene with diesel. God know what will happen to engine after following Tata's recommendations.

Did any Safari owners went to ladakh carried Kerosene in Jerry Cans?

Last edited by anujmishra : 15th July 2009 at 11:58.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

That beauty is dream(at-least small if not very big) to watch and drive. Congrats man
Quote:
its as easy as a Maruti 800 (slight exaggeration)
BTW thats no slight but huge exaggeration
Old 15th July 2009, 12:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Even TATA recommends mix Kerosene (or ATF) with diesel . It is hilarious. First ever I saw officially to use Kerosene with diesel. God know what will happen to engine after following Tata's recommendations.

Did any Safari owners went to ladakh carried Kerosene in Jerry Cans?
Its not hilarious. All diesel vehicles will need kerosene mixed with diesel when temp falls below -2-3 degree celcious.
However if you park the car for one hight with engine bay covered, there should not be any problem even at -4-5
But as the whole car cools down, the fuel will start separating, and car will not start,
So you need kerosene.
Anti Freeze diesel is common in western countries like sweden etc., where winter temperatures go around 20 below zero.
On my himalayan trips I have seen countless trucks parked with fires lit under the fuel tank so that the fuel is thawed.

As for Ladakh, summer temperatures rarely go below zero, and that too only early mornings, when the sun rises it can be around zero, but never below.
So no need of kerosene in tank.
Raiders using diesel vehicles keep their cars started overnight and do not shut off the engine./
Old 15th July 2009, 12:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

The White elephant is ROXXX.Take car of it buddy.
How much did the HID & Geolanders cost?
Old 15th July 2009, 12:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Kerosene?? Never heard of that one before!
BPCL is confusing everyone by calling their premium diesel - High speed diesel, which is actually a generic name for diesel used in auto engines. HP calls it turbojet, and I think had used a Safari to promote it on TV. IOC calls theirs Xtra Mile I think. The warranty nonsense that TATA is advising is the usual bureaucratic noise that all companies make - next thing they will be saying it about seat covers.
I am no longer personally sure if it is worth paying the extra for the premium diesels. One advantage I used to think is that there would be a lesser chance of adulteration, but who knows really. On the other hand, since the usage of the more expensive stuff is lower, particularly outside metros, you may end up getting stale fuel. It does go stale, btw. I don't think using it causes any long lasting damage, but why take the chance?
PS: Just read the kerosene clarification - good new learning of the day, thanks.

Last edited by Sawyer : 15th July 2009 at 12:15. Reason: postscript
Old 15th July 2009, 12:24   #27
BHPian

sidcruise79!
Congrats for the truck! Looks awesome! Did you go for the PDI? Was there any glitches in the car then? How much did you have to shell out for the Yokohama?

Last edited by bantejas : 15th July 2009 at 12:27.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:56   #28
BHPian

Thanks again guys,

Real eye opener regarding hi speed diesel.

(Refer Post #13) BTW the Yokos after exchange cost me 10K and the HID's 11K, not much of competition here so couldn't get the best rates, I have seen only a handful of vehicles with aftermarket Xenons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
The White elephant is ROXXX.Take car of it buddy.
How much did the HID & Geolanders cost?
Took the PDI sheet and did a mini PDI and all seemed fine apart from a patch on the rear door, but checked it thoroughly and it dissapeared after the teflon coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
sidcruise79!
Congrats for the truck! Looks awesome! Did you go for the PDI? Was there any glitches in the car then? How much did you have to shell out for the Yokohama?
Old 15th July 2009, 13:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sid congrats and The King looks great, do post more pictures and start cruising and reclaim your life.

And as everyone said use Normal Diesel for The King, i would recommend IOC Diesel.

Quote:
The accesory shop owner said it does not as there is not cutting or splicing of any wires.
Please reconfirm with the accessory guy, whether they will be slicing the wire or not. If they slice the wire then the warranty will VOID for any cabling related warranties

Last edited by gowda79 : 15th July 2009 at 13:23.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everybody,

Karthik: I shall get the leather seats checked, do you advise faux leather seats over the OEM's.
Definietly a BIG No.
The seats are look very gorgeous.
only need some attention to it.clean it weakly basis and it will be intact.
use some leather cleaners though.
Please check and refit if required.
I saw some other safari seats.the fiting was very good and no swirls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks