Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 20:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vensum View Post
i am planning to go in for a 4x4 on return to India soon. sometime in nov/dec. which one would u recommend out of the following:
Suzuki Grand Vitara

I am not too tight on the budget. i can stretch it upto 20/22 lakhs... i am also not unduly worried about the petrol / diesal part of it.
Taking all that you said, the best option would be the new Grand Vitara! You get all that you asked for with the comfort of a better build quality and also performance. Just ask Sudev!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
They are .IIRC,OSRAM has it . Check their website. I know that its available in Bangy.
Will get back to you sometime later on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Congratulations Wow I envy VX 4X4 is just 11.5 in Orrisa. Karnataka Taxes suck...
Oh yes, we buyers in Bangalore have the blessing to give more money to the Gov so that they can continue giving us rally tracks for our daily drives!
Old 15th July 2009, 23:46   #47
BHPian

I feel the best of the lot would be the fortuner. Hasn't been launched here in india as yet, so no test drive, but one would get toyota's rock solid build/quality/performance etc.

The Pajero is very good for offroading only, very bumpy on bad roads, can't go fast, so I don't think its a good buy. Moreover this is a really old model Pajero.

Endeavour is a mean looking machine, comfortable on tarmac, but interiors are very spartan for what one pays for the top most model (with 4X4), and it has been voted as the most reliable SUV in India throuh some survey (I think JD).

If your budget is 20-22 Lacs i guess you should go for the fortuner when you come to India, hopefully it would be on the streets by then.

BTW think about the Nissan X trail also, it's one heck of a powerful vehicle and real comfy too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vensum View Post
Hi all,

very nice reading. good to know that the bull feels heavenly.

now i need to know from all you experienced guys one thing.

i am planning to go in for a 4x4 on return to India soon. sometime in nov/dec. which one would u recommend out of the following:

Safari

Ford Endeavour

Fortuner

Suzuki Grand Vitara

I am not too tight on the budget. i can stretch it upto 20/22 lakhs. but would really look forward to value for money. i am also not unduly worried about the petrol / diesal part of it.

but i am more concerned about the driving comforts, safety, long term ownership happiness (say atleast five/six years).

all inputs welcome

regards and sid you would be the best person to give a first hand info on your initial experience. you have also mentioned that you have driven both endy and pajero. compare and contrast.

thanks
Old 16th July 2009, 09:08   #48
BANNED

Fortuner seems to be the best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
If your budget is 20-22 Lacs i guess you should go for the fortuner when you come to India, hopefully it would be on the streets by then.

BTW think about the Nissan X trail also, it's one heck of a powerful vehicle and real comfy too....

+1 on that Sid. Even though the fortuner has not yet come to India, it is most likely to beat all the other vehicles in its segment since it is made by Toyota and technically seems to be very competent.

For a budget of 20-22 lacs, it is so far the best SuV around. In case softroaders would suffice, the CRV and the Captiva too make a compelling case in my opinion..
Old 16th July 2009, 14:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sidcruise

VX and 4x4 = deadly combo

Please read through the manual to understand all nity grity things and specially about using the 4x4 and more importantly dont forget to use it whenever you get a chance and terrain.

Regarding the seat covers, they will last very long and all you need to take care of them say cleaning every 6 months(there are cleaning solutions available for cleaning leather seats specifically)

And when you give the vehicle for service, tell them to use the Polythene covers on seats as i have always seen TASS using polythene seat covers while servicing, so no worries.

cheers
Old 16th July 2009, 21:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sidcruise.. Great Choice
Enjoy your new ride and drive safe
Old 17th July 2009, 10:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Sid,

Where are you?
Old 17th July 2009, 10:17   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Sid,

Where are you?
I guess Bhubaneshwar...looking at the vehile TEMP number plate....
Old 17th July 2009, 10:22   #53
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy, I too prefer the TATA Beast rather than the scorpio, do not know why, but i feel like am the king of road when am in a TATA Safari my friend owns.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I guess Bhubaneshwar...looking at the vehile TEMP number plate....
Dear Dev - I was referring to him being absent here.

Really want him to give details on those HID's.

A search on Google gave a hit on a company providing HID's for Safari... later to realize that it was GMC Safari, a van!!!
Old 17th July 2009, 12:02   #55
BANNED

Quote:

A search on Google gave a hit on a company providing HID's for Safari... later to realize that it was GMC Safari, a van!!!

Sorry for my reply.....

As far as HID kits go, I have installed HID headlights on my Bullet from Bangalore. I have the Philips number somewhere for their office at Bangalore and will give it to you. J C Road too has quite a number of stores selling imported HID kits. I know a store pretty well there for a long time now. We can check in case you are interested.
As far as the kit goes, and you may know this already, the bulbs just depend on the type of holder, H1, 2, 3 or 4. This is a universal standard so getting a kit here should not be an issue.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:41   #56
BHPian

Hid

The Philips H4 HID's cost me 11K. I dont think HID's are specific to any particular vehicle. As far as my knowledge goes H4 are for head lamps, H3 are for fog lamps. They consume much lesser electricity than Halogens, run cooler, las longer and give more light too.

The ones i fixed didn't require any wires to be cut or spliced. But they had to drill a hole in the cover that protects the back of the Head light. I'm trying to figure out how to close these holes. Will post pics of the same.

My advice is to go for the Philips ones and not the other Japanese/Chinese ones as HID prices have really gone downwards.

Hope this helps a bit but if not you could specify what deatils exactly did you want.

Another thing i'm having a problem with is the beam. I have to keep it in the lowest position in the Head lamp ajustment switch (No'3) for the beam on dipper to fall on the road, and even then it falls somewhere in between a normal bulbs Head & dipper position. Hence, I cant put in on hi-beam in the city as the beam goes way up onto buildings and trees. Does anyone have a solution to that. (Will post pics)

Quote:

Old 17th July 2009, 13:45   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Another thing i'm having a problem with is the beam. I have to keep it in the lowest position in the Head lamp ajustment switch (No'3) for the beam on dipper to fall on the road, and even then it falls somewhere in between a normal bulbs Head & dipper position. Hence, I cant put in on hi-beam in the city as the beam goes way up onto buildings and trees. Does anyone have a solution to that. (Will post pics)
Pl post your pics and then I think I know what the issue is....
Old 17th July 2009, 16:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... problem with is the beam. I have to keep it in the lowest position in the Head lamp ajustment switch (No'3) for the beam on dipper to fall on the road, and even then it falls somewhere in between a normal bulbs Head & dipper position.
Probably, it has nothing to do with after market HID setup. Even I face the same issue on my Feb/09 Safari with OEM headlight setup. Looking for a solution

-BJ
Old 17th July 2009, 16:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Probably, it has nothing to do with after market HID setup. Even I face the same issue on my Feb/09 Safari with OEM headlight setup. Looking for a solution

-BJ
go to TASS and get the Throw of the beam adjusted. and you will be good to go.
Old 17th July 2009, 16:58   #60
Team-BHP Support

HIDs in non projector setup will always throw some glare upwards. esp in the safari where headlamps sit so high.
You will always have oncoming traffic abusing you even if you are on dipper.
thats why in case of normal headlights its always better to get HIDs in the lower fogs, and use them only when required.

Most Viewed