Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:08   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Two other advantages of the DI over the CRDi:

1. More robust. I'm willing to bet that it will last longer too.

2. Lesser maintenance costs over the long term. Common rails are very sensitive to fuel quality and will need injector / pump overhaul after 1 - 1.25 lakh kms.

That said, the CRDi is definitely the one to own. The power delivery takes the Bolero into an entirely different league.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Two other advantages of the DI over the CRDi:

1. More robust. I'm willing to bet that it will last longer too.

2. Lesser maintenance costs over the long term. Common rails are very sensitive to fuel quality and will need injector / pump overhaul after 1 - 1.25 lakh kms.

That said, the CRDi is definitely the one to own. The power delivery takes the Bolero into an entirely different league.
Well said. Case in point being the diesel Filter. For the DI its for 160 odd whereas for the CRDe its for 1700.

But the performance is what brings a smile on the driver's face. I actually have been able to keep up with M-Hawk's on the highway without too much effort.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Hi Sriku

Nice buy. Welcome to the Bull-Bol club . I had a Bolero GLX (IDI 72bhp Peugot engine) for 5 yrs. Recently sold it and bought a Bolero VLX and loving it. I also own a RE Thunderbird. What is the avg kmpl u got during Mum - Chennai drive? Just curious. Also do buzz me if you pass by Blr again - to register a R1 mebbe
Thanks Rockyb, I'm jealous because you have the VLX. I drove it briefly and am a big fan of that engine. The Thunderbird is a recent addition to the Enfield stable, and we had one for 6 months before we sold it to finance an RD 350. My std 350 is chugging along nicely, and I think the Bolero DI is a very similar vehicle, albeit with 2 more wheels. The personality and behaviour of both vehicles is pretty similar. Both are happy doing 90 on an open road. Both are products of the previous century and both have a road presence that commands respect. I managed a minimum of 15kmpl with A/C and close to 17 without A/C during the Mumbai-Bangy-Chennai-Bangy-Mumbai run. I could have gotten more kms from each liter, but I was lugging around a lot of luggage/bike parts/food/laptops/fuel and such like. I will buzz you when we hit Bangy again, the second service for the MT is at 5000 kms, and we should hit that figure in a month and a half

Cheers,
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Well said. Case in point being the diesel Filter. For the DI its for 160 odd whereas for the CRDe its for 1700.

But the performance is what brings a smile on the driver's face. I actually have been able to keep up with M-Hawk's on the highway without too much effort.
MC sir, please drop a couple of lines about your first service when you get the chance. Mine is scheduled for this weekend, and I'm curious about what goes into the first service for Bolero's. I know your first service and preparation for your Sept trip would have extensive repairs/enhancements and improvements. It'll be a learning experience for me and other Bolero guys.

Cheers,
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
MC sir, please drop a couple of lines about your first service when you get the chance. Mine is scheduled for this weekend, and I'm curious about what goes into the first service for Bolero's. I know your first service and preparation for your Sept trip would have extensive repairs/enhancements and improvements. It'll be a learning experience for me and other Bolero guys.

Cheers,
Its available at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vlx-india.html
Old 27th July 2009, 12:02   #36
BHPian

First service details

Thought I'll post about my first service like MC sir has done on the storm thread.

Service included:
1. All oils changed. Engine(Rs.155), gear(Rs.173) and differential(Rs.218) oils.
2. Oil filter changed (Rs.135)
3. Rotary fuel filter changed (Rs.135)
4. Clevis pin for clutch pedal changed as it was creaky and irritating me (Rs.12)
5. Cotton waste, washers etc (Rs30)
6. Etching regn number on all the windows (Rs.500)
7. Engine oil maximil(some additive?) (Rs.159)

Inclusive of labour and taxes, I paid Rs.2860/-
Vehicle was dropped at the service center at 11 am and brought back by 5:30 pm. Service advisor was cooperative and no hassles. However, when I went to pick up the vehicle, I found the windshield washing liquid container lid open, the coolant tank lid not closed properly, the battery lead covers not properly in place. I made the service guys check every tube they laid their hands on and got it inspected before driving off. Looks like some things will never change!

Cheers,
Old 27th July 2009, 12:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Thought I'll post about my first service like MC sir has done on the storm thread.

Service included:
1. All oils changed. Engine(Rs.155), gear(Rs.173) and differential(Rs.218) oils.
2. Oil filter changed (Rs.135)
3. Rotary fuel filter changed (Rs.135)
4. Clevis pin for clutch pedal changed as it was creaky and irritating me (Rs.12)
5. Cotton waste, washers etc (Rs30)
6. Etching regn number on all the windows (Rs.500)
7. Engine oil maximil(some additive?) (Rs.159)

Inclusive of labour and taxes, I paid Rs.2860/-
Vehicle was dropped at the service center at 11 am and brought back by 5:30 pm. Service advisor was cooperative and no hassles. However, when I went to pick up the vehicle, I found the windshield washing liquid container lid open, the coolant tank lid not closed properly, the battery lead covers not properly in place. I made the service guys check every tube they laid their hands on and got it inspected before driving off. Looks like some things will never change!

Cheers,
Your dealer charges you for Cotton Waste. I think this should definitely be brought to M&M's notice.

BTW Mahindra Maximile is the engine oil that is put on the Car.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:50   #38
BHPian

Yeah, I'm sure they've over-billed me by atleast 300-500 INR, that's the usual practice at most service centers, they conveniently build up a miscellaneous expenses list that adds up to the total bill.

After a couple of days of driving, maybe 200 kms, I now hear a distinct chug-chug-chug-chug noise whenever the clutch pedal is depressed. This goes away once the vehicle is in motion, however its clearly heard when at standstill, when I have to move into 1st gear from neutral or when slow shifting (riding?) in traffic. I did not hear this sound before the service, and I am going to the service center to check it up this weekend.

Any other Bolero owners who have had a similar issue are requested to provide any reasons, corrections performed. Thanks in advance. MC Sir, don't know if the VLX clutch kit is different from the SLX, but your inputs are always appreciated.

There is a possibility the HVK and Harish Sir will also be there with their Scorpio's. If so, the service center personnel will be swamped, the power-users HVK and Harish sir are already legendary there! The mere mention of HVK's name got me a direct entry into the Workshop Manager's cabin, no waits no fuss

Cheers,
Old 29th July 2009, 14:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

My VLX has been getting this noise for quite sometime. Another Bolero owner Torqy also has this problem. I suspect this to be a Clutch Release Bearing problem but haven't talked to M&M folks.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:45   #40
BHPian

Thanks for the quick confirmation MC Sir. I will be speaking to the service guys over the weekend. Will update if I find something.

Cheers,
Old 27th August 2009, 15:25   #41
BHPian

More pics of Moby here

Cheers,
Old 29th December 2009, 15:43   #42

More updates...

Hi Sriku,

How is your Bolero doing? Any more updates/ feedback?

Thanks
Aman
Old 29th December 2009, 16:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsaini View Post
Hi Sriku,

How is your Bolero doing? Any more updates/ feedback?

Thanks
Aman
Hi Aman,

The Bolero is performing well, I've just completed 14000 kms and my third service is due in 1000 kms. On Saturday I went from Mumbai-Harihareshwar-Shreevardhan-Diveagar-Mandava-Mumbai, about 500 kms on the NH17, SH100, SH98, SH96 all along the Konkan coast. The Bolero pulled effortlessly in the ghats, and inspite of bad roads on the State highways near Harihareshwar, the overall drive was a pleasure. I got to drive on the beach as well and it was good fun.

I was a little worried that the drive over bumpy roads at high speeds would loosen things in the car, but thankfully I haven't noticed anything overly worrisome. However, there is a distinct gap(tiny) in the front right door beading that generates a whooshing sound when driving at high speeds on the highways. I've addressed this before in my first service, but the problem seems to have reappeared. I have been considering adding a more powerful horn and fog lamps, but those will have to wait until I really need them. I'm planning a trip to the remaining forts in Maharashtra, Panhala, Murud (2 forts), Vijaydurg and Sindhudurg and finally even the Bassein fort in Virar. hopefully I get to do these on the new year's long weekend and finish the 15k mark. I'll feel much better starting 2010 with a service pitstop

2010 will hopefully see me acquire the following for the Bolero:
1. Fog lamps and a powerful horn
2. Better seat upholstery (or alternatively better front seats)
3. Bicycle rack on the roof.
4. New windshield wipers (before the monsoon)

Cheers,
Sriku
Old 29th December 2009, 19:12   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

sriku the Bolero may be in full form now after the service by the A.S.S. I read about the theft attempt in your first post on day one.The archaic fuel tank locks need to be done away with by M&M. One pays about Rs 7L and still gets the Fiat 1100D /Premier Padmini (1960's) kinda locks.
Another glaring fault in the older Boleros (till even a year back I suppose) were the large star screws fastening the doors from outside. That can be unscrewed by anyone to dismantle the doors fully.
The newer Boleros (including yours) have the doors screwed from the inside.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:35   #45
BHPian

Nice crisp review of the Bolero. Happy to see more and more satisfied Bolero owners.

All the best with the ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks