Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2009, 20:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh_dfi View Post
Immortalz thanks for this bit.
A quick question, how will you get best acceleration timings in anhc auto ?
A poor man's launch control. Don't do this often or you'll compromise the torque converter.

Hold the brakes, rev until 2.5-3K RPM or so and floor it as you let go of the brakes. This will give you the best launch. The rest is best left to the S mode auto shifting.

The RPM will change for you though - I've only done this on my Civic. I would launch at a higher RPM, but the tyres are near worthless. A lot of squealing and no real go.

'gratz on your buy and here's wishing you a great ownership experience. Do post up a thread with pictures and reviews

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 19th July 2009 at 20:47.
Old 19th July 2009, 21:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Booked!
Today the sales rep came to my office, for the booking. We got down to discussions on the discounts, insurance and loan. I said I would get a loan from my Bank, HDFC, as I was getting a better rate of 10.25%. When it came to discounts he offered me 10,000 rs or the anti-rust treatment with a few freebies like mud flaps, pillows etc.. He also said that before the Jazz was released the City’s were being delivered on time not so anymore, and that it would take a maximum of two weeks for delivery. I asked for discounts on the accessories, he offered me around 5% but suggested that I not go in for Honda alloys as they were very expensive.
While we were discussing my uncle who lent me his Civic came in. He and my dad both asked me to get an Auto for myself as it made more sense for in-city driving, and I said why not? I handed him a cheque of Rs10,000 and booked a Bold Beige Honda City 1.5 S Auto for myself subject to my test drive experience, discount scheme and delivery schedule remaining the same; the car’s OTR came to about ~Rs 9,67,000.
Will head there tomorrow for a test drive and if all goes well, I will be a happy owner of Honda City 1.5S Auto by end of this month.
----------
Congrats dude, you just cant get a better car for that price. Lovely machine though I wish Honda chucked in a few goodies, the icing on the cake so to speak, with alloys.

Rgds,
Old 20th July 2009, 00:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
A poor man's launch control. Don't do this often or you'll compromise the torque converter.

Hold the brakes, rev until 2.5-3K RPM or so and floor it as you let go of the brakes. This will give you the best launch. The rest is best left to the S mode auto shifting.

The RPM will change for you though - I've only done this on my Civic. I would launch at a higher RPM, but the tyres are near worthless. A lot of squealing and no real go.

'gratz on your buy and here's wishing you a great ownership experience. Do post up a thread with pictures and reviews

these cars are not ferrari or lamborghinis
this car is not meant for such things. drive fast but smoothly i say. .
Old 20th July 2009, 06:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Singh,

I am not very clear, whether your booked ANHC 1.5 SMT or 1.5 S AT ?
what accessories you are planning ?

congatualtions once again
Old 20th July 2009, 06:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

Thanks, will try it out after the run-in period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats dude, you just cant get a better car for that price. Lovely machine though I wish Honda chucked in a few goodies, the icing on the cake so to speak, with alloys.

Rgds,
Totally agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
these cars are not ferrari or lamborghinis
this car is not meant for such things. drive fast but smoothly i say. .
we can pretend every once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Singh,

I am not very clear, whether your booked ANHC 1.5 SMT or 1.5 S AT ?
what accessories you are planning ?

congatualtions once again
I booked 1.5 S AT, which will be delivered in another 10-12 days.

Accessories I am planning immediately after the delivery

Mudflaps,Alloys & Rubber - Either Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R 15 or Yoko S.drive 205/50 R16. Still deciding, advice appreciated.

Honda Accessories are too overpriced; a set of underfront spoiler, fog lamps, side skirting, rear under spoiler, boot spoiler will come to around ~ 104,000 rs.
Old 20th July 2009, 07:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The poor man's launch control is not for the City auto box. AFAIK the auto system on Honda is variator type and not fluid transmission. So all you will do is burn the rubber belting and end up with no gain.

Try shifting manually.
Old 20th July 2009, 07:43   #22
BHPian

Sir, you are one of the reason I chose a Honda. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I only just voted for the ANHC in the A/T poll going on elsewhere in the forum, and now this thread. What can I say, congratulations! You've made a wise decision. The ANHC is the MOST all-rounded sedan from the C segment. Except for the compromised trim levels, it's hard to find fault with the City. It's stupendous reliability, high-revving engine, balanced ride & handling, ease in useability and low cost of ownership will have you holding on for a long time to come. Take it from a '03 Honda City owner who isn't willing to sell.

We look forward to pictures + a detailed ownership report of your soon-to-come Honda.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The poor man's launch control is not for the City auto box. AFAIK the auto system on Honda is variator type and not fluid transmission. So all you will do is burn the rubber belting and end up with no gain.

Try shifting manually.
Wrong. ANHC has a torque converter based conventional automatic transmission. Not a CVT.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:02   #24
BHPian

I have test driven Honda City auto extensively over the past few days.

Pros:
much smoother to drive than than the Civic Auto.
The ability to use paddle shifts in D-mode
addition of the 5th gear is welcome in terms of fuel efficiency and highway cruising.
ample space, ergonomic seating
civic steering is perfect
PADDLE SHIFT is awesome
built to last for a long time
revving ability of the vtech

Cons
gear changes in d-mode not the smoothest
paddle shift positions means you can't use them during cornering
didn't like the Rear view mirror.
mitsubushi speakers not the best
puny tires
Silver console looks cheap
VFM quotient.

To sum up in GTO's words its 90% Civic @ 75% price and that paddle shift auto tranny is a joy.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:54   #25
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy!

Your money is well spent as you have chosen the best car in its segment! I look forward to some pics of the car. Do post a few.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 21st July 2009, 16:38   #26
BHPian

Agree with your pro/cons - nicely put. I also have AT version and completed close to 8000 KM now. It is a fantastic baby with very smooth and responsive engine...
Old 21st July 2009, 23:11   #27
BHPian

Hello everybody,

This is my first post since I joined this forum couple of months back. Like Mr Singh, I also booked a City 1.5 S AT. I need some help from the experts on this forum:

a. It does not have a Cd/DVD player, it has one USB interface. While I have a collection of my favourite CDs. I am also too lazy to copy the songs from the CDs to the a USB pen drive. Besides, I feel that this should be having both. So, I enquired and Honda nowadays providing a C Ddrive as an accessory that one can buy. The price I got form the dealer is 13k and that seemed a bit steep to me. It's a plain vanilla CD drive (Mitsubishi make) and gets installed inside the cavity that has the USB interface as standard. The price includes altering the wiring for the CD drive and providing another interface for a USB drive near the gear lever. I am in a dilemma to go for this or not. Can all these be done as an after-market fitment?

b. Need some tips on driving an automatic in general and on this vehicle in particular. Is there a link already that has this?

Cheers.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Congrats on your buy!

Your money is well spent as you have chosen the best car in its segment! I look forward to some pics of the car. Do post a few.

Cheers,
gpa
Will surely do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinivasap View Post
Agree with your pro/cons - nicely put. I also have AT version and completed close to 8000 KM now. It is a fantastic baby with very smooth and responsive engine...
Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
Hello everybody,

This is my first post since I joined this forum couple of months back. Like Mr Singh, I also booked a City 1.5 S AT. I need some help from the experts on this forum:
b. Need some tips on driving an automatic in general and on this vehicle in particular. Is there a link already that has this?

Cheers.
welcome to Tbhp Pritam.

I am no expert but would suggest you to extensively test drive the vehicle at the dealers while you await delivery, this will help you get the feel of the car.
Old 25th July 2009, 19:17   #29
BHPian

Car is expected over the next 2-3 days can hardly wait.

Checked out SaiMag, they recommended I go in for 16" instead of 15" for the City, I guess it is more to do with the fact that his range of 16" alloys was not as impressive
as the range for 15".

In any case, I am planning to go in for all black 16" alloys with Yoko S.drives, just 1 question guys will it suit the city and is it grounds for nulling of warranty ?
Old 25th July 2009, 20:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everybody,
Hi pratim. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
'gratz on your purchase. Make sure you write up an ownership report.

Quote:
a. It does not have a Cd/DVD player, it has one USB interface. While I have a collection of my favourite CDs. I am also too lazy to copy the songs from the CDs to the a USB pen drive. Besides, I feel that this should be having both. So, I enquired and Honda nowadays providing a C Ddrive as an accessory that one can buy. The price I got form the dealer is 13k and that seemed a bit steep to me. It's a plain vanilla CD drive (Mitsubishi make) and gets installed inside the cavity that has the USB interface as standard. The price includes altering the wiring for the CD drive and providing another interface for a USB drive near the gear lever. I am in a dilemma to go for this or not. Can all these be done as an after-market fitment?
Get it done from the outside. 13k will buy you a fabulous head unit. As long as you get it done from a professional place with no cutting of wires involved, you will be fine.

Quote:

Cheers.
Find the automatic vs manual thread. It has plenty of tips. No point in replicating all that here.

Quote:
Car is expected over the next 2-3 days can hardly wait.
'gratz on your purchase! Be sure to write up an ownership report.

Quote:
In any case, I am planning to go in for all black 16" alloys with Yoko S.drives, just 1 question guys will it suit the city
As long as you get the proper offset, rim size and the tyre profile right (so the rolling radius remains the same), you will be fine. The shop should know the right profile for a specific car.

Quote:
and is it grounds for nulling of warranty ?
Technically speaking, they can void your suspension warranty. But this depends a lot on your relationship with the dealership.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 25th July 2009 at 20:24.

Most Viewed