Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 08:14   #1
BHPian

New Palio MJD Clutch behaviour

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum!

I got my new Palio MJD couple of weeks back and so far everything has been very nice. I have a question about the clutch - The car moves (with a good bit oe found if thrust) when I just release the clutch and dont even step on the throttle. I told this to the service folks, and they said its normal during the initial days and that it would become 'normal' after the first service. (another 200 km remain for the first service)

1. Is this expected behaviour of the clutch?
2. Would this harm the clutch in anyway, actually I've found it quite comfortable to just ease the car along in heavy traffic just releasing the clutch.

I started worrying when the service guy said that it would become 'normal' after the first service. Does that mean something is abnormal now?

Thanks for the help!

PS: I just love this car, and couldn't think of getting any other. Did not like the looks of the Punto that much, and Linea was way beyond my budget!
Old 17th July 2009, 09:38   #2
BHPian

Kiran-: Firstly congrats on buying a Palio. Wish you a very happy ownership.

About the clutch thing, its quite normal. Every car behaves like this nowadays. Unless fully depressed, the car moves without any throttle intervention once the "biting point" of the clutch is reached. At the start the pull will be more as the idling rpm will be high to bring engine quickly upto optimum working temperature.

As to why the service guy said that it'll become normal after first service - I've no comments. This behaviour will remain all through the life of the car.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its PERFECTLY normal. That's how it is my friend

CONGRATS!
Old 17th July 2009, 11:05   #4
BHPian

Perfectly normal. Get used to it. Also get used to inane, sometimes insane, comments from the TASC. That is pretty much normal too, when it comes to Fiats
Old 17th July 2009, 12:15   #5
BHPian

Kiran - the clutch behaviour is normal.
Relating to point 2, "Would this harm the clutch in anyway, actually I've found it quite comfortable to just ease the car along in heavy traffic just releasing the clutch"
Yes, it would require earlier (though not very early clutch replacement). The greater impact is on fuel efficiency. This type of driving is called "riding the clutch" and is not a recommended style of driving
Old 17th July 2009, 12:24   #6
BHPian

Thanks folks for the replies! Happy to hear that its normal behaviour.

Seeler_Rebeiro - I'll follow your advice and try not the ride the clutch. Thanks!

Other than that, any tips for a new Palio? The torque feels great, especially when the revs cross the 2000rpm mark. I did not expect it to be so much! Though i've been quite careful so far not to load the engine during the early stages, once in a while it seems irresistible to just feel the rush!
Old 17th July 2009, 15:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Perfectly normal. Get used to it. Also get used to inane, sometimes insane, comments from the TASC. That is pretty much normal too, when it comes to Fiats

And yes, the behaviour is very normal.

Being a diesel, it has loads more torque even at idle, as compared to a petrol. And that helps it get off the line easily without any throttle inputs.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:32   #8
BHPian

This is quite normal! the clutch has a long play in the palio and now the punto too.
enjoy the ride. I personally found the palio quite strudy and excellent on highway runs. how i wished it came with abs and a decent dash.
Congrats and enjoy the car! yes the turbo kick is quite addictive, take care in the run-in period.
cheers!

Most Viewed