Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2009, 16:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
@kuttapan
What were your "right tints" :-)? I just checked out VKool. The Economy Range with VKool 70 in front and i guess 45 all around is about 19300.
Right tints, acc to me is something that gives a silvery hue, hope you understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Kuttapan- Share the pic with us with those tints(if you got any).
Wanna see how it looks.
I am not at home and I didn't take any pics of the car after getting it tinted. Sorry for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
You can do this yourself easily.
Buy a product called "interior protectant". It will be a white liquid. and will give a nice shine to the dashboard and all (avoid putting it on steering wheel).
Nice shine to the dashboard? It would cause problems of reflection and I prefer a dull finish polish/cleaner for dashboard. I believe armorall has got one.
Old 16th August 2009, 17:28   #92
BHPian

I was also referring to same thing as you said. Its purpose is to polish and not shine in your face.

The product is called "interior protectant" and all brands like formula1, sonax, stp, armorall etc carry this product.
This polishes the interiors and also acts as anti-static so that dust doesn't stick to those areas.
A dashboard cleaner is a different kind of product ... it will only clean but not polish the plastic areas.

Anyway all this stuff can be found in the car-care section of TBHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Nice shine to the dashboard? It would cause problems of reflection and I prefer a dull finish polish/cleaner for dashboard. I believe armorall has got one.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:52   #93
BHPian

I will update the prices and put up some interior snaps by evening.

I have already completed 600 Kms. Average consumption is 16.4 KM/L (75% City and 25% Highway driving) 100% AC on. Drove off to Lonavala last night. Had a tough time controlling the urge to floor her :-). I manager to keep her below 100 all the way. BTW, 100 Kmh comes up at exactly 2500 rmp in 5th. On the expressway @~100Km/h, I was consistently getting between 19 and 23.

One question to existing Punto Owners.
If you are going over really bad roads, do you feel the steering wheel / column shake at times? I get the feeling sometimes that the rack is loose.

Last edited by Crimson : 17th August 2009 at 11:57.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:03   #94
BHPian

Nope.. The steering is very steady.. Btw, drove my car in heavy rains today, the wiper was making a lot of noise, and some part of the rubber from the blade is now stuck on the wind shield.. I tried to remove it with my hands but with no avail.. Is your wiper working fine?
Old 17th August 2009, 12:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
One question to existing Punto Owners.
If you are going over really bad roads, do you feel the steering wheel / column shake at times? I get the feeling sometimes that the rack is loose.
Yes, I feel the same, especially at low speeds, whereas in my Palio the steering used to be very steady. Not sure whether this is normal or it is a defect.

Last edited by ajayr : 17th August 2009 at 12:08.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:15   #96
BHPian

Yes, This happens only at very low speeds. But its very irritating. My old 800 had this problem and it was identified as a loose / damaged rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
Yes, I feel the same, especially at low speeds, whereas in my Palio the steering used to be very steady. Not sure whether this is normal or it is a defect.
No, the wiper is fine. The blade rubber should not get stuck on the glass. Diesel will surely remove the rubber on the glass but I don't know if it could cause damage to the glass so I suggest you check with others first before trying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Nope.. The steering is very steady.. Btw, drove my car in heavy rains today, the wiper was making a lot of noise, and some part of the rubber from the blade is now stuck on the wind shield.. I tried to remove it with my hands but with no avail.. Is your wiper working fine?
Old 17th August 2009, 12:28   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, This happens only at very low speeds. But its very irritating. My old 800 had this problem and it was identified as a loose / damaged rack.
Ok, will get this checked in addition to the glow plugs error light when I visit the service centre this week.
Old 17th August 2009, 13:14   #98
BHPian

Quote:
When vehicles are parked in scrotching heat it is advisible to raise the wiper blades as there are chances that they would stick to the glass. At least thats what I have been told, when I asked an executive why have they raised the wipers of all the cars in their stockyard. I'm just suspecting the parking(stocking)-in-sun stuff would have caused this.

However, I'm not fully convinced because haven't we seen enough and more of cars parked in direct sunlight without even an inch of a shade, which do not face this problem?

Last edited by Hrishiz : 17th August 2009 at 13:23.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:34   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Linea also i've faced the same noise.
while whipping,we heard a noise when wiper reaches the either end.
I tried some other Linea cars too,it also has the same issue getting noise.
I think, it's a manufacturing Fault or the curvature in the Front WindShield not matching with wiper blades..
Old 18th August 2009, 13:48   #100
BHPian

Got the car checked at Pandit. There was indeed a problem in the rack.

Here is how you identify it:

1. Switch the engine OFF. Keep the key inserted so that the steering does not lock.
2. Hold the steering and shake it to the left and right quickly about 2 inches each side.
3. There should be no play at all. If there is a play, you will hear a "tak tak" noise. This noise / play should not be there.
4. The fix takes about 10 mins - They will tighten something called a Universal nut on the rack. This is somewhere near the clutch pedal.

After this was done I would say the problem is 80% gone in my car. 80% because i still get a little noise from the right front. Its not a metal clanking noise but more like something related to the rubber bushing. They asked me to drive it a bit more and then they would have it re-checked. Ive clocked 800Kms, so ill wait till 1500 or the first service and then have it looked into again.

About tyre pressure - When i got the tyres changed, the air pressure sensor gauge at the tyre shop must have been faulty and that why i found the car front to be a bit bouncy. Got it re-checked and each tyre had between 31-34 psi!. Now I have got all tyres set to 29psi correctly. This has also helped with the overall ride quality.

Last edited by Crimson : 18th August 2009 at 13:51.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:09   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Got the car checked at Pandit. There was indeed a problem in the rack.

Here is how you identify it:

1. Switch the engine OFF. Keep the key inserted so that the steering does not lock.
2. Hold the steering and shake it to the left and right quickly about 2 inches each side.
3. There should be no play at all. If there is a play, you will hear a "tak tak" noise. This noise / play should not be there.
4. The fix takes about 10 mins - They will tighten something called a Universal nut on the rack. This is somewhere near the clutch pedal.

After this was done I would say the problem is 80% gone in my car. 80% because i still get a little noise from the right front. Its not a metal clanking noise but more like something related to the rubber bushing. They asked me to drive it a bit more and then they would have it re-checked. Ive clocked 800Kms, so ill wait till 1500 or the first service and then have it looked into again.

About tyre pressure - When i got the tyres changed, the air pressure sensor gauge at the tyre shop must have been faulty and that why i found the car front to be a bit bouncy. Got it re-checked and each tyre had between 31-34 psi!. Now I have got all tyres set to 29psi correctly. This has also helped with the overall ride quality.
Hmm .. thanks for the info Crimson !! Good you got the problem checked and corrected from Pandit.

(In hindsight .. this should have been caught during PDI at the manufacturing plant or by Pandit guys)

Another point for future punto owners to keep in mind while doing the PDI !!

@maverick : I have edited my post. Thanks a lot

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 18th August 2009 at 14:26. Reason: Thanks to Maverick !!
Old 18th August 2009, 14:16   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Hmm .. thanks for the info Crimson !! Good you got the problem checked and corrected from Pandit.

(In hindsight .. this should have been caught during PDI by Pandit guys)

I doubt if Pandit guys really do a PDI check. I think the problems like issues in steering rack, rusting (which are visible to naked eye) should have been caught by FIAT quality check and definitely by the dealer.

This means we really need to be more careful while doing a PDI and not just assume that we will be getting a spanking new problem free car!
Old 18th August 2009, 22:29   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post

(In hindsight .. this should have been caught during PDI at the manufacturing plant or by Pandit guys)

@maverick : I have edited my post. Thanks a lot
I can't just stop talking about this forum to my friends.
One of the main inspirations to go for a GP.

@FIAT-TATA: People, if you are listening, please please catch up before the bus is well gone!
You've got such a great range of cars! Just a little more effort and concentration on your job, there is nothing to stop you.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:07   #104
BHPian

+1 to maverick.
these things should be diagnosed and rectified in the factory PDI or the dealer PDI itself.
play in the steering column is something which should get noticed straight away
Old 20th August 2009, 11:04   #105
BHPian

1000 Kms done and some more Clanks and clonks have surfaced.

1. Rear wheels / Suspension: When you shake the car, I can hear a distinct tak tak noise from the back. Something loose is tapping against some sheet metal. Sounds as-if its coming from near the rear wheels. It does not come all the time. I am not sure of this but i think it is related to the level of fuel in the tank. I get the feeling it is more prominent when the tank is fuller. Sometimes i feel maybe its the fuel gauge float, thats knocking against the tank walls but its kind of loud for a fuel gauge float noise! I have not been able to confirm this as yet.

2. Brakes: I'm guessing this is a common problem with all Punto's / Linea's. There is a noise when the wheels come to a full hault. Sound like a grinding noise like "Ghrrrr".

3. Front Suspension noise: The faint clunk kind of noise as I have explained earlier in the front suspension still remains.

Thankfully, no issues from the engine whatsoever.

Last edited by Crimson : 20th August 2009 at 11:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks