Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 17:47   #1
BHPian

My new Scorpio VLX mHawk - I'm lovin it !

After a lot of waiting and problems (please see this thread "http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...d-new-car.html "), I finally got my fantastic new vehicle – the refreshed Scorpio – VLX, black with Silver cladding.

As was mentioned in the other thread, I had to wait quite a lot, but am happy after I got the delivery and am writing this post on the one month anniversary. (Work pressures kept me from writing it earlier)

Delivery:
Going back to the delivery process, it happened on a Saturday afternoon, temp outside was 44 deg C and I got a call from M & M’s Regional Manager if I would like to take delivery (apparently Delhi customers don't take delivery on Saturdays - dunno why, but I had no issues with the day).

The delivery process by itself was smooth, not at all time consuming and the staff was very polite and nice. During the demo of the car, however, the middle row seats refused to fold. The sales person got in some mechanics and everyone tried hard, but no luck. Wonder what they did in their PDI.

Anyway, the middle seat not folding was not an essential feature for me and I did not wish to take the car to the workshop straightaway, so we agreed that this would be fixed in the first servicing.

I took the car home that evening and have been using it for the past one month, and I am well and truly loving it.

Experience:
The engine is smooth, powerful and the road presence, visibility, driving comfort, etc. all is good. I love the gizmos in the VLX – the tyretronics, and various sensors. I have not had to switch on the lights or wipers at all, they just come on and off automatically – maybe in the future all automobiles will have this as standard, as it’s so convenient. The Microhybrid feature is also great, engine shuts off in 2 secs of being stationary in neutral gear. Saves fuel for sure – the only pain of this is at the toll plaza, as one has to keep moving every 3-4 secs.

Most of my driving is on the expressway and I normally switch on the cruise control at 85 kmph and relax. Not only does it put less stress on me, it probably is giving me better fuel efficiency – speaking of which, in 30 days, I have done 1600 km approximately and have put in about 140 litres of diesel (normal). There is some still in the tank, so I am estimating an average of just below 12 kmpl.

Given the way folks in this city drive, the Scorpio because of its size is a huge advantage – and I believe I am also safer in this car.
On the negative side, I will probably put down 2 things, firstly the gear lever vibration – it is quite intense and something I am not at all used to (my other car is a Civic). Secondly, the AC blast is quite high on any setting above “1”, loud and strong enough to affect conversations in the car at “2”, but not strong enough at “1”. Makes one wish for a “1.5” setting.

Accessories:
The VLX version comes extremely loaded, so have not really felt the need to add any accessories, all I have put in till now is a gear lock (Autocop), a Bluetooth speaker and some perfume, etc.

I intend to definitely buy a bull-bar and seat covers. Any suggestion where I should buy those in Delhi?
Meanwhile, here are a few snaps of the new vehicle
Attached Thumbnails
My new Scorpio VLX mHawk - I'm lovin it !-img00006.jpg  

My new Scorpio VLX mHawk - I'm lovin it !-img00007.jpg  

My new Scorpio VLX mHawk - I'm lovin it !-img00005.jpg  

Old 20th July 2009, 18:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking Scorpio..... I believe there is an option to switch off the micro hybrid system... you can enquire it from Mahindra.
Old 20th July 2009, 18:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Nice looking Scorpio..... I believe there is an option to switch off the micro hybrid system... you can enquire it from Mahindra.
Thanks for the compliment, it is a beauty...

As for the Micro hybrid, there is a switch on the central console to toggle on/off, no issues with that, but I end up being lazy on the toll plaza and prefer to keep the clutch pressed and the car in 1st gear
Old 20th July 2009, 18:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
(apparently Delhi customers don't take delivery on Saturdays - dunno why, but I had no issues with the day).
yeah in north india, people consider it a bad omen to buy Iron stuff/machinery on saturdays.

congrats on your new buy and the color scheme looks good.

Regarding the security accessories there are already a couple of threads running for Scorpio owners, dont mind to go through them

And for bullbar and seat covers, any decent accessories shop should have them but dont mind to visit a couple of place unless someone receommends a good place.

cheers
Old 20th July 2009, 18:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Get a good looking bullbar and fit a Hella Rallye 4000 Driving lights too.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:17   #6
BHPian

Black and silver combination is awesome. Congrats on the buy.

As for the bull guard i would suggest the one which NIP has in his scorpio. Please have a look at the scorpio pics thread for more ideas.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:39   #7
BHPian

Wonderful buddy, such a beauty.

For microHybrid, You could switch it off when You are at tolls.
And arent the rear glasses supposed to be fixed?

PS: Is that a nick in the front bumper on the left!
Old 20th July 2009, 19:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

congrats car.lover. love the black and silver combo.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:50   #9
BHPian

Congrats car.lover. Black silver combo looks nice. Post some more pics please (interiors). Keep Updating the thread on ownership experience and also the functioning of micro hybrid .

Drive safe.

Last edited by mnhegde : 20th July 2009 at 20:54.
Old 20th July 2009, 21:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. The color combination is good.
With no offence to you or your car,(this is not Scorpio bashing either) i wish to say this. I think this whole micro hybrid by mahindra is a joke. It would be better if they came up with something really serious w.r.t hybrid technology than come up with this start stop motor. In city driving conditions where you stay put for long durations this engine cutoff is not really happening because the ac cuts off too.
I do not know how much fuel or money the customer saves by this cutoff, but he surely will sweat quite a bit in the bargain(especially in the summer). Besides, the heavier duty starter motor might be more expensive to replace.
Lastly, i do not know if this even qualifies to be called a 'hybrid'. To me 'hybrid' is a term which will be used when an alternative source of fuel or system is used to provide mobility in conjunction with existing fossil fuel engines. How does Mahindras start stop motor qualify to be called 'hybrid' ?
I maybe wrong with my above view, in that case, can someone enlighten me..!
Old 20th July 2009, 22:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations and welcome to our family of Scorpio (ns) (is it?). Your choice is excellent and the brute SUV is just fantastic in the city and also for the highways.
I can't help but keep on liking it with my love for it growing, everytime I get behind the wheel just for everything it offers.
Do keep up the posts and updates coming with the pictures.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Scorpio! Its does look nice in the new format.

Btw doesn't micro hybrid have an adverse effect on the turbo as M&M advises to idle the engine for 1 minute before stopping and after starting
Old 21st July 2009, 10:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats @car.lover! The car looks faaaantastic. What other mods have you planned ?
Old 21st July 2009, 13:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Btw doesn't micro hybrid have an adverse effect on the turbo as M&M advises to idle the engine for 1 minute before stopping and after starting
Interesting! You must post this on the Scorpio Issues thread to get some more feedback! I will look forward to that.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:05   #15
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy! I've test driven the micro-hybrid Scorpio and the sales guy did mention to me, that I could indeed turn off the system, especially if I were driving in the city with the a/c switched on.

Do post a few pics of the interiors!

Cheers,
gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks