Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 10:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Best comparison of these cars I have seen so far. You highlighted every car's pros and cons. No biased statements. You rock mate !!!
Old 21st July 2009, 10:51   #32
BHPian

Very informative comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
If price was not a consideration, then the Jazz would win most battles easily.
Payne, this comparison is between diesel hatches, so Jazz does not qualify here. And if at all Jazz is launched in diesel, it would be priced close to 10L OTR.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great UNBIASED review!! I agree that you cannot ignore the price difference while giving the verdict for a typical indian buyer.

I hope Fiat would improve the after sales service to match the good products they have and also do not compromise the quality. I still have good memories about the build quality of our old palio.

I read somewhere that Hyundai would be able to bring down the price once they start localising the engine. i20 diesel seems to be the perfect car for me as petrol is underpowered.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:14   #34
BHPian

Fantastic effort to compile a comprehensive review. Well done. However, if the verdict is purely on the ratings on each parameter, I am sorry I dont agree with you. Punto Scores 150.5, while i20 scores 160.5. By this i20 is the winner. Could you please explain the final rating logic i.e. Punto scoring 9/10? If there is weightage given to any parameter, then it is not a purely unbiased review since different people attribute different weightages for their needs.

Nevertheless, it seems like i20 is a fantastic package for the discerning Indian consumer who loves power, great interiors and features, while Punto is more for the people who love looks, good handling and need all the gizmos in a car, and Ritz is for the average Indian for whom Fuel efficiency, cost of buying and ownership, driving ease (turning radius) etc are important. Ultimately, each is a winner as far as the consumers it is targeting
Old 21st July 2009, 11:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nice detailed comparo with all the areas adequately covered!

Good job Sid!
Old 21st July 2009, 11:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Nevertheless, it seems like i20 is a fantastic package for the discerning Indian consumer who loves power, great interiors and features, while Punto is more for the people who love looks, good handling and need all the gizmos in a car, and Ritz is for the average Indian for whom Fuel efficiency, cost of buying and ownership, driving ease (turning radius) etc are important. Ultimately, each is a winner as far as the consumers it is targeting
All of them are winners in their own right. It is for the customer to decide which is the better package that suits their requirement.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:17   #37
BHPian

In one word Awesome!!! Sid.That was a lovely and factual non biased comparision. it covered all the parameters, now it's up to the individuals to choose which is best for them.

Last edited by vivekanand005 : 21st July 2009 at 12:30.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:48   #38

Guys why is everybody complaining about the difference in price of i20 & GP so much as if it is astronomical. Here's my take on this

The difference in price is around 80K (Delhi prices)

1. GP completely squashes i20 in handling and i20 completely squashes GP in engine performance. So they even out here.

2. The equipment level on GP E+ and i20 Asta can be considered to be at the same level with GP having Blue & me, Bigger alloys and i20 having rear disc brakes, cooled glove box, foldable mirrors, ipod support, more space etc.

3. Looks are subjective and other finer points can be considered equal as well.

4. Now i20 completely finishes GP in fit & finish & i think most of us have agreed on it so i would be willing to pay 30k extra for it.

5. Comparing the *** i would be willing to pay 25K extra just to deal with hyundai service instead of Fiat-TATA service.

6. The total comes out to be 55k above GP. Now as Sid pointed out and most of us will agree that i20 would be able to fetch more resale value few years down the line or at least it will fetch just enough extra over GP to get those 25K+interest back.

There you have it, this is my assessment of the price difference but i myself still feel that i20 is overpriced by 20k but you get with those extra 20k is peace of mind (you don't want nuts & bolts of your car to be in your hand after few months as shown by Sid).

As someone mentioned here that the CRDi engine is imported from Korea so the additional price, therefore when Hyundai India start producing it locally the price should come down by around 30k and i think at that time it will much more VFM than GP or any other car in this segment.

Guys moreover, the comparison was supposed to be between lifestyle premium hatches & according to me you get the premium feeling once you are inside the cabin. Consider this if price is the only major factor then people would only buy indica vista & swift (provided they can live with bad plastics).

India is no more a backward country where only prices will determine the sales of a product and quality is given secondary importance, if this was to be the case then likes of Honda & skoda would not have sold so many cars.

Please note that this is strictly my opinion and i could be wrong on one or all counts.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think I jumped the gun. Great review Sid. It would be good if you gave the weights given to each of the parameters. Punto still comes on top? I thought that from a general customer perspective it would be the Ritz. The Punto and i20 I see more as hatches for the discerning customer. My view.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

great effort put up by you sid, shown parameters are worth describing the details and actual lookout of respective cars, just a thought would you see buyers opting for ritz mainly for cheap pricing and *** from maruti along with base magna i20crdi which includes ABS in this which is almost same range of GP+, as other two share better market value and market share as compared to fiat which has a long way to go.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Nice review covering almost all aspects of these cars.

However, I am not sure if the analysis about front and rear leg space is correct. In fact, i20 is supposed to have most cramped rear space (going by the measurements). There is lengthy and heated discussion on this topic in another thread.

Again, very good thread with lots of facts and figures! Individual users will have more weight for some points and less for some others. So the verdict may vary between individuals but nevertheless, very attempt to summarize the pros and cons of all three cars.
Great review sid... thanks for taking the pains.
As RX said, the rear legroom in i20 is the least, followed by the Ritz and the most spacious of the lot Punto so I am not too sure about the interior room ratings. Besides if you are taking the performance numbers from the magazine why not the interior measurements?
Another correction: Boot space is 295 Litres not 300 as mentioned.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st July 2009 at 13:38.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Besides if you are taking the performance numbers from the magazine why not the interior measurements?
Maybe because figures < feel when it comes to space. True legroom cannot be expressed accurately in inches/cm by any magazine/reviewer because there are far too many variables which make a comfortable sitting position. I actually felt exactly the same about interior space when comparing the 2 cars.

However, as I said before, a very fair review, and putting price into perspective, a very deserving winner.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 21st July 2009 at 14:13.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Maybe because figures < feel when it comes to space.

Legroom cannot be expressed accurately in inches/cm by any magazine /reviewer because there are far too many variables.
But if it cant be quantified as you said then it should be left subjective not definitive?

PS: I hadnt seen it before it wrote this.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st July 2009 at 14:22.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
But if it cant be quantified as you said then it should be left subjective not definitive?
The disclaimer covers that i think.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:32   #45
BHPian

Hi,

I feel there is too much emphasis being put on the numbers here. It is obvious that sidindica is a auto enthusiast and not a theoretical researcher! It is a fantastic review and gives any buyer a starting point on what to evaluate.

Taking a sum of all scores is invalid for anyone - different people have different weightages to each variable. The quality of plastic is of no concern to me, whereas Vikas 44 is willing to pay 30k for it.

Great job Sid!

Just a couple of pointers (since i AM a theoretical researcher!)
When you use a points based system, define what is "10".
Either one of the cars scores 10 on every variable - implying that that is the best car in the sample. The other cars will be rated on 10.
Else - pick the best car in the universe in that variable (in that segment). For example - in this segment of cars, Engine Response will be 10 for the Getz CRDi and these 3 cars are rated out of 10 against the Getz.

Unasked for advice! You are welcome.

Most Viewed