Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 09:37   #91

safety comparison

This was a great review and hats off to that. One point I see missing or rather mentioned more casually than I would like is the overall safety of the cars. With such high level of accidents in India, I am surprised that we in India do not choose safety over features when we have to shell out those extra Rupees. Coming back to the point of comparison, in safety, I20 Asta(O) wins hands down over Punto Em Pk. Do not be misled by Euro NCAP 5star rating advertised by the company - if I understand correctly, the ratings are with a specific set of safety equipment, and hence, it is model dependent. The only true 5 star rated hatch in India is the I20 Asta(O). The Punto does not come with side air bags and hence cannot claim 5 star rating that it got in NCAP, as the car used there had side as well as head air bags. One of the key factors when assessing safety by NCAP is side impact. Cars without side airbags will do pretty poorly and will not get 5star in my opinion.

Here are the reference links. Both models had side/curtain/head airbags during the tests:

Punto: http://www.euroncap.com/tests/fiat_punto_2005/238.aspx

I20: http://www.euroncap.com/results/hyundai/i20/359.aspx

Note that even with all the airbags, the I20 protects better than the Punto.

Disclaimer: I have booked an I20 Asta(O). Safety was one of the key criteria why I chose the Asta(O) over Asta and Punto.
Old 24th July 2009, 09:57   #92
BHPian

Accurate comparision on Buiness Standard

HYUNDAI i20 1.4 CRDi vs FIAT PUNTO MULTIJET

This is the fairest comparison I have come across till now.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum_77 View Post
From your source

Frontal Impact Punto: 13.6 Hyundai i20: 13.1
Side Impact Punto: 16 Hyundai i20: 15.8

How does it protect better?
Old 24th July 2009, 11:19   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
From your source

Frontal Impact Punto: 13.6 Hyundai i20: 13.1
Side Impact Punto: 16 Hyundai i20: 15.8

How does it protect better?
The Scores are

Adult occupant Punto: 33 Hyundai i20: 32
Child occupant Punto: 35 Hyundai i20: 41
pedestrian Punto: 19 Hyundai i20: 23
Safety assist Punto: none Hyundai i20: 6

punto is marginally better in adult safety but in all other departments it creams punto.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:14   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas44 View Post
The Scores are

punto is marginally better in adult safety but in all other departments it creams punto.
yes this are actual what the source says as in comparo.I20 beats punto quite easily on safety ratings where adult occupant gets marginal 1 point more to i20 else its hyundai leading other ways.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:26   #96
Senior - BHPian

Both G Punto & i20 are rated 5 stars by Euro NCAP, so both are highly safe cars!
Old 24th July 2009, 14:31   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas44 View Post
The Scores are

Well the Child Occupant scores are dependent on the ISO FIX mount and whether it is forward facing or rearward facing, everything else remaining constant.
Safety assist comprises of seat belt reminders and electronic stability program which werent accounted for Punto because they are a new addition in the NCAP ratings, the reason why the rating is completely absent for the Punto.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 24th July 2009 at 14:32.
Old 24th July 2009, 15:32   #98
BHPian

I think Price can in no case be ignored. I feel Indian buyer can still buy punto E+ at 5.5L because he is used to spending that much on a swift VDi with pretty less features. Ritz more or less should be compared to i10CRDI & not i20.

I think result of the review is Exact. Punto's Price, features and looks beats the compition anyday. But a rich man with lots of money at his disposal will definately not agree here.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:00   #99
BHPian

ritz should be the choice if you are looking for city driving only.

punto should be the choice if you are looking at city + highway trips.

i20 should be the choice if you are a fast driver and do a lot of intercity travel. 4 disc brakes and 6 airbags. plus 90 bhp crdi engine. very good combo!! but its pricey i know !!

this is my personal opinion,i think thatverna isnt that safe due to lack of features like airbags. and if a person has an open mind and not keen about status = sedan thing. one can look at the 1.4 asta crdi or even 1.4 crdi asta (o). but its very personal decision to make!! which is left upto individuals.

the verna is essentially a hatchback with a boot attached!. 110 hp or 90 hp. (+/-20 hp) but you drive a lighter vehicle with more safety +comfort features! at less price. what so bad in that. so this makes i20 very vfm.

also if you look at punto, its a linea without a boot. so its also vfm. the only thing is that one should be open minded when choosing a car to buy!!

Last edited by Caramelo : 24th July 2009 at 16:06.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:10   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Both G Punto & i20 are rated 5 stars by Euro NCAP, so both are highly safe cars!
I do not think thats a correct statement by itself. I20 Asta (O) and European Grand Punto w/6 airbags are highly safe cars. If you take out airbags, the scores will be much lower and cannot get 5 star rating in my opinion. The reason for my post was to make people aware and not go blindly by the 5 star rating. To stress again: the 5 star rating is for Asta (O) only. Similarly the 5 star rating of Grand Punto is for the European model w/ 6 air bags. So lets not assume the cars are that safe.

To others who replied: I do not know if points can be compared as the tests are different. They have started a new test this year and i20 being a new model got tested, but Punto has not been through that test.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:25   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum_77 View Post
This was a great review and hats off to that. One point I see missing or rather mentioned more casually than I would like is the overall safety of the cars. With such high level of accidents in India, I am surprised that we in India do not choose safety over features when we have to shell out those extra Rupees. Coming back to the point of comparison, in safety, I20 Asta(O) wins hands down over Punto Em Pk. Do not be misled by Euro NCAP 5star rating advertised by the company - if I understand correctly, the ratings are with a specific set of safety equipment, and hence, it is model dependent. The only true 5 star rated hatch in India is the I20 Asta(O). The Punto does not come with side air bags and hence cannot claim 5 star rating that it got in NCAP, as the car used there had side as well as head air bags. One of the key factors when assessing safety by NCAP is side impact. Cars without side airbags will do pretty poorly and will not get 5star in my opinion.

Here are the reference links. Both models had side/curtain/head airbags during the tests:

Punto: http://www.euroncap.com/tests/fiat_punto_2005/238.aspx

I20: http://www.euroncap.com/results/hyundai/i20/359.aspx

Disclaimer: I have booked an I20 Asta(O). Safety was one of the key criteria why I chose the Asta(O) over Asta and Punto.

DUDE i totally agree. i20 is a true safe hatchback!! other cant claim this!! even if they got those 5 stars. they should then provide the same spec model. which i20 does and others dont!
Old 24th July 2009, 17:54   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
HYUNDAI i20 1.4 CRDi vs FIAT PUNTO MULTIJET

This is the fairest comparison I have come across till now.
This is rather funniest comparison I would say.

The reviewer says:
Punto is more fun to drive than i20.
Punto looks better than i20.
Punto once starts moving, has better driveability.
Punto has better ride than i20.
Punto has better handling than i20.
Punto is cheaper than i20.
Punto is more driver's car than i20.

But, still the better buy is i20. Now, beat that!

Why can't he write, in which areas i20 scores better and then come up with his recommendation. That would have helped a prospective buyer much more than such review.

Last edited by RX135 : 24th July 2009 at 17:56.
Old 24th July 2009, 19:27   #103
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Outstanding comparo, Sid. 5 star rating added + thread linked on the home page.
Old 24th July 2009, 19:47   #104
BHPian

This is one of the best comparison in teambhp.com

Good stuff. But the still owning a Fiat should be given second thoughts even at this stages of Tata-Fiat backup. Would rather pay that little bit more and buy the low end i20, as Hyundai has better resale value still.
Old 24th July 2009, 21:49   #105
BHPian

Great Work

This is a great work Sid. Thanks for all the effort. In my opinion, this comparison puts all the famed auto magazines and auto shows way below standards of Team-BHP. Pleased to be here.

Most Viewed