Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 17:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
... Another piece of information that I got was that 4x4 production was temporarily halted and hence TATA ran out of stock of them. Seems like they are doing some minor upgrades (duh!), which is the reason for this gap.

I am not sure how much true this info is, but if it is, might be a good thing. Hope they have fixed some issue and not brought any extra's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Uh-oh, hope you ain't going to be the guinea pig on this one!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
sigh..zzz.zzzz.zzzz I wonder what lie ahead for me
People,

An update on this and this is from the horse's mouth:

The thing about update was not true! The reason for the delay is because of a large government order for the Safari. So what ever was being manufactured was being given to the government and civilian orders were taken in when possible.

So there you have it! No guinea pigs of me!

And also, it seems there was no development or changes done to the Safari in the last 6 months. Only bug fixes (if any!).

Thanks to the person who shared this information.
Old 28th July 2009, 23:08   #92
Senior - BHPian

Delhi registration seems to be much simpler.

Most dealers have an online login with the RTO. They are given a series (say DL3C AY ---- ) for a particular dealer and they are given a set of possible numbers. Bigger dealers (basically, Maruti) have an entire series to themselves, but Fiat, Tata, BMW, Porsche, Audi all share one series in South Delhi as of now. They ask you which number you prefer out of a choice of 3-4 numbers (just like a pre-paid mobile connection dealer).

Depending on your mental maths skills, you choose the number depending on astrology, astronomy, numerology, gut feel or your vital stats.

They simply put in the details online and you get the registration number and they make the number plate (which is always much more cheaper than what they charge you for). The papers are scanned and sent by hand later. Typically they do the registration during PDI right there while you wait.

Some people still take temporary numbers but its not really worth going through the whole process twice, unless you want a "special" number (the DL2F ---- series where you pay much higher charges and need an MLAs certificate). But with the Chholegate scandal in the Delhi Govt., getting a DL2F---- is not so easy anymore.
Old 28th July 2009, 23:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That is such a simple process!

Guess it will flow down to the rest of the states slowly.
Old 28th July 2009, 23:27   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That is such a simple process!

Guess it will flow down to the rest of the states slowly.
Don't be envious. Sooner or later I will be moving out of Delhi into NCR. Then, if I buy a car, it will be the same process as Bangalore-- driving around for weeks with a temporary registration waiting for that UP-14 / UP-16 / HR-26 / HR-29 number. And hoping that cops in Delhi don't stop me.

Such luxuries are only for the khandani Dilliwalas.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:27   #95
gpa
Senior - BHPian

High Security Number Plates (HSRP)

Have you got any updates on the HSRP from your dealer? There has been talk of these being implemented soon, so you could possibly check with them if they can give you a set once they have done the registration.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

No, nothing has been mentioned so far. But I reckon if they have this in mind, they will mention it at the fag end, so that it will not get into the freebie's list. But then, I think I will not be haggling for the ~1k that it might cost.

Update: Vehicle dispatched from plant.

Dealer experience update: Over the last two weeks, have found the (new) SA being very proactive in updating me of the status. I hope the first 2 weeks were an anomaly and the current experience goes all the way from now on.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:00   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: Vehicle dispatched from plant.

Dealer experience update: Over the last two weeks, have found the (new) SA being very proactive in updating me of the status. I hope the first 2 weeks were an anomaly and the current experience goes all the way from now on.
good good, thats a good news if confirmed without any delays, so your beast would be at dealers premises within week's time.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:31   #98
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes, next week will be the D-day; actually I should be getting it on hand itself, by end of next week.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

Hey Suresh, you'll get your vehicle before this thread reaches 10 pages I think.
This is way better than a cricket match methinks.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:56   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Hey Suresh, you'll get your vehicle before this thread reaches 10 pages I think.
This is way better than a cricket match methinks.
Lukie, could be even earlier than that

Last edited by gowda79 : 29th July 2009 at 18:09.
Old 29th July 2009, 18:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Hey Suresh, you'll get your vehicle before this thread reaches 10 pages I think...
Hahaha... hopefully!

But for that, I should first keep quite.

Me and my updates might play spoil sport!!!
Old 29th July 2009, 18:14   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Yes, next week will be the D-day; actually I should be getting it on hand itself, by end of next week.
And the day you bring it to office, we will test out the 4x4 behind GV where buses are parked
Old 29th July 2009, 20:50   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
And the day you bring it to office, we will test out the 4x4 behind GV where buses are parked
Oh yes!

I just hope it rains and the heavy vehicle movement makes the place even messier than what it is now!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 29th July 2009 at 21:04.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle has reached the yard!

The sales guy, the helpful and useful that he has been so far ( ) informed me about the arrival, but said that the vehicle cannot be inspected as they will not be able to complete their PDI in time and asked me to come tomorrow morning.

Had resigned to going there tomorrow morning, but due to one person, Dev, we decided to hit the yard at Hosur road. All said and arranged in 10 minutes. Dev & Tejas drive down there and I meet them there.

I reach the yard and this is what I see; my first sighting:

Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...-imag0027.jpg

Vehicle getting cleaned.

Once that was done, they dried it down and it was all set; but this was pointless, since there was a slight drizzle. Guess the people just did as was mentioned in the job sheet!

Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...-imag0031.jpg

So, after all the cleaning and rubbing, the guy is finally ready!

Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...-imag0036.jpg

Got into the vehicle and had a good look. My first crank did not work - because of the immobilizer! Thankfully the reason was known and just proceeded to unlock and start. Took if for a test drive and made one person very very angry!

Did not test anything but just made a ride. I guess I was happy that the vehicle arrived and running! Dev really wanted to do a proper PDI and I let him down big time! Sorry buddy!

But, after the drive, the a/c, 4wd, etc were checked. Got the vehicle lifted and checked the underbody. I had a crash-course on the various parts and how things work from the walking dictionary - Dev!

The first look at my cockpit panel.
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...-imag0038.jpg

Why the 50kms? No idea! Forgot to ask!

When checking the under-chassis, there were couple of parts which had their part ID and manufacturing date mentioned - all of them were within July 2009! Yipeee....

So, with that, all satisfied (except Dev, who was still going for my neck since I did not do a proper drive) we brought some sweets and distributed amongst the people over there, all of them. All happy!

Tomorrow the remaining payment to be done and the paper works. So, registration on Friday and delivery on that day.

A special thanks to Tejas and Dev for being there. Guys, your experience, knowledge and your willigness to help out is great! We need more humans like you! Especially you Dev, you were truly a great, mmm... "Driving" force.

And a mention of the people at the Concord center - cheerful and helpful. They were a refreshing change from the other set!

Apart from them, also met another BHPian, SlingShooter, a newbie who is waiting for his application approval. So with 4 BHPians, I guess it can be called a mini-meet!

That is it for now. Hope tomorrow is another wonderful day!
Old 5th August 2009, 22:06   #105
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Happywheels

i know its a bit early but still.

the color scheme is really awesome and for a change Safari looks good.

Regarding the ODO reading of 56 kms, please ask the TASS people about it and verify their claims by checking out other vehicles. OK

cheers, keep us updated
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks